Why Is It Some People Feel Undefined When Single?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

This is sort of a touchy subject for me.
    I have been in relationships non stop for about 15 yrs until 2 yrs ago.
    I have spent time with myself but I still find it challenging to be completely alone.
    I don't know why. It's like so strange and so weird.
    I've always had a man to fall back on
    but I don't want to have one, just to have one.
    I am learning slowly to be on my own and I don't want to rely on a prince charming to fix things
    but I also love to love and be loved.
    I'm learning new things all the time, and one is that I need to get over being codependent.

I really want to feel happy being single and I really want to feel satisfied and content.
    Without that one can make dumb choices in life and I really don't want to do that anymore.
    So here I am, glad to be single but at the same time after so long it feels like I
    cannot be. That's where 12 step programs come into play I guess.

I'm not addicted to having sex but I may be just afraid to be on my own.

1. pinto2011 profile image68
      pinto2011posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is because human beings are social animal and the most evolved social animal. Relationship are so much valued, not only between lovers but mother-son, father-daughter, between siblings, between friends and go on.  But a day will come when mother will be no more, friends and siblings will have their own family and settle elsewhere when enter the adulthood. Here this void is filled by that beloved live  long companionship, someone to hold your hand even at the ripe age of 80.  He or she will fight, make love, argue, agree, but be with you, then only at that age we will look back and say, yes indeed we need a life long companion. There is someone to listen to me for my whole life. My parents will also close their eyes believing someone is there to take care of my child for life.

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point... smile

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Traditionally being single defined one's (marital) status. Anyone who is not married is legally considered (single) or available to get married. That's what "single" really means. However most of us now place (dating couples) on the same pedestal as married couples. Therefore today we say single means you are not (seriously) dating anyone. Others take it a step further to mean they aren't dating period! They're living like nuns or monks.
      Being a man when I was (single) I had "booty calls" or "friends with benefits" and the occasional "one night stand" from time to time. I was in my 20s and early 30s and also had friends who were single to hang out with as well. I suppose it would be a little different if all your friends are (coupled up) or you feel too old to be out alone partying. Although with the advent of online dating most people have the option to meet others socially anytime they choose to.
      I guess my point is I don't define being single as being "alone", sexless, or bored. Life is what you make it!

Great point. Being the shy/reserved type- that's going to have to be a goal for me.
        Seriously.
        smile

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

Look at it this way: To be and (learn how to be) independent now, will teach you to be in a relationship in a non co-dependant way when the opportunity comes along again! When the time is right you will be in a better psychological position to contribute to someone else's happiness because you will know what makes you happy. Now is a time to take care of your self and learn to value yourself. find your own passions, and fulfill your own desires... tune into Them, instead of SomeBody.

good point

3. btrbell profile image89
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with you. We are human and humans seek company. I have been single for almost 8 years. I have had a few relationships since then. While I haven't always been happy in them, I know that I would rather be with someone than not. Today being said, I definitely don't want to be with someone just for the sake of not being alone. So, it can be difficult. I haven't been in a relationship in over a year and as much as I would like to be in one, I'm not willing to settle. Good luck. It's tough out there

thanks

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I am now having the best time of my life.

It took me over 50 years to realise that I am happiest of all being single. I have found that being totally free is the most important thing of all. I accept other people might not agree, but this is what makes me feel fulfilled.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way, and I've never been married.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

That's fine to be whatever you want. I don't find anything wrong with it.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Many people remain in bad relationships because one or the other, or both, are afraid to learn how to live independently.  The status does not define who we are.  One can feel very alone and undefined while married or in a relationship. I guess it's about how you look at life and what your expectations are.  To me, life is a journey, and it takes many different paths.  Some paths are best to take alone, others are meant for family or friends, partners.  I think balance is the key.  Our lives feel most complete when we are happy with who we are, regardless of our life situation at the time.   If I start to feel anxious or unhappy, it's usually because something in my life is out of balance, so I'll figure out what I need to do to get back to a healthier state of being.  It's usually just a matter of doing something more or less, like getting more sleep or getting out more around adults (I work with young children.), or simply changing my attitude. 

I really like Kathryn Hill's response.  The other posters also have added a lot of wisdom here. 
    Be who you are, not what you think you should be.  It sounds like you need this time of freedom and independence to discover more who you are and what you enjoy.  Enjoy it, time moves so quickly.

6. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with being single but society is very much double minded. Every where you look people are together - going out, eating, even just walking side by side. I believe if you just keep in mind that even if you are single you are a wonderful person to be with. You have to start slow but do it. Go out and being alone people watch and let everyone see that you are confident and can be alright even being single.

Yeah I was out today with my mother and was very well dressed after church and got quite a few looks from men. I felt good. thanks smile

7. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

It is society that tells people that they must be in a relationship in order to be whole.   People have been routinely inculcated that they are incomplete unless they are in a relationship. From early childhood, people have been inculcated that to be normal, they must belong and/or be part of a group.   Children who are highly social are rewarded while those who are more solitary are deemed as odd and need fixing.   Many children who are more solitary are considered to be backward although they are highly intelligent. 

This indoctrinaton continues throughout adolescence.   Young people are pressured to be part of a group and/or to date.  Those who are more individualistic and unconventional are oftentimes ostracized and stigmatized by other young people, their teachers, and oftentimes their parents.   Many young people during these years are so pressured to belong and/or to be part of a group that they do destructive and deleterious things.   To be alone is synonymous with being a loser and a nobody.   

This pressure to be in a relationship whether committal and/or marital is the cause of many divorces.   People are so indoctrinated to be in relationships that they will settle just to be in a relationship. It is the estimation of many people, particularly women, that any relationship, even less than positive and/or abusive, is better than no relationship at all.   

To many people, being alone is the kiss of death.   People whether be in aimless relationships than to be alone.  People are afraid to be alone because the word has such negative connotations.   Being alone to many people means being undesirable, a loser, and being cast aside.    Women have been inculcated with the premise that being alone is a proverbial tomb and a source of turmoil.   They have been told that in order to be happy, they must be surrounded by friends, relationships, and to be highly social, up and about.    Women are further told that they are nothing without people in their lives.

Also in this society, although it is changing, single people are viewed as immature and irresponsible.   They are also viewed as incomplete people.   Single people are constantly told to "find someone" as "we all need companionship" to be fulfilled as people.   

There is nothing wrong with being without relationships and being alone.   Being alone gives one time to read and think.   It also affords one time to pursue hobbies and interests.   One does not have to be constantly with people and socializing in order to be happy and fulfilled.   One does not have to be in a relationship in order to be happy.   Being alone can be a time of reflection and growth.

I agree. Except if you want sex, you have to get married according to my own peace of mind.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily.  One can have sex outside of marriage.  Waiting until marriage to have sex is totally futile and outdated.   How are you going to know if you have a sexually compatible partner if you wait until marriage.   One should test the waters so to speak before marriage.

I guess but I often feel bad about myself having sex before marriage. Maybe it's okay if you intend on pursuing that relationship further to see..I've been ok with that in the past. I'm just trying to break a bad pattern of jumping into it and stuff. I have strong "values" that I must recognize in order to have peace of mind, not just because the church teaches it, but becasue I'm a sensitive romantic person and I don't feel good if I have sex outside of a romantic and good relationship. that's just me. But it's a battle of the senses for sure I guess. So I guess you have to find a happy medium somehow. I really don't know the answer to that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)