What will it take to get Glenn Beck off the air?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

By Paul Farhi
    When you have a group of religious leaders taking out an ad in the WSJ demanding that your boss (Roger Ailes)tell you to STOP with the Nazi comments, do you stop? Or do you gleefully continue with your on-air blasphemy?

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011; 11:40 PM

A coalition of rabbis wants Fox News chief Roger Ailes and conservative host Glenn Beck to cut out all their talk about Nazis and the Holocaust, and it's making its views known in an unusual place.

The rabbis have called on Fox News's owner, Rupert Murdoch, to sanction his two famous employees via a full-page ad in Thursday's editions of the Wall Street Journal - one of many other media properties controlled by Murdoch's News Corp.

The ad is signed by the heads of the Reform, Conservative and Reconstructionist movements as well as Orthodox rabbis.

"We share a belief that the Holocaust, of course, can and should be discussed appropriately in the media. But that is not what we have seen at Fox News," says the ad, signed by hundreds of rabbis and placed by the Jewish Funds for Justice, a nonprofit advocacy group. Earlier this month, the group organized a letter-writing campaign asking Murdoch to remove Beck from the air.

The rabbis were prompted by Beck's three-part program in November about liberal billionaire philanthropist George Soros, whom Beck described as a "Jewish boy helping send the Jews to the death camps" during World War II.

Ailes has defended Beck's frequent use of Nazi references to describe his political opponents by attributing outrage over such remarks to "left-wing rabbis who basically don't think that anybody can ever use the word 'Holocaust' on the air."

In the Journal ad, which is also appearing in the Jewish Daily Forward newspaper, the rabbis write that they are "deeply offended" by Ailes's dismissal of those who object to such language.

What do YOU think???

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What do I think?

I not only think, but I know that if a man can spout unconscienable carp from the Oval Office, then Glenn Beck can say pretty much whatever he wants to from his position.

What will it take to get him off the air?
      A dictatorship.
      Hey, maybe that will happen, considering the many robotic minds Obama has under his spell.  Wonder if the libs will be happy for a while under a dictatorship?....

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/worlds-largest-carp.jpg

That's a lot of carp!

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

heheee

Nice fishy!
          Only thing fishier than that is Obama himself.
          Good job Ron.  wink

2. wbfree profile image60
      wbfreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's nothing wrong with talking about the Nazis and Hitler. By the way where were you and the left wing rabbis when the liberal democrat recently referred to Republicans as Nazis on the floor of the House of Representatives? And this was right after their pathetic squalling about the so-called "hateful tone" after the shooting in AZ. Hypocrites.

This is a free country and we have freedom of speech. If you don't like what Beck or anyone else is saying then turn the darn radio or t.v. off. Change the channel and then go about your lives.

I find it ironic that it's always liberals accusing conservatives of stopping free speech or free expression. They scream about "book burning", etc. But it's your camp that tries to stifle freedom. What about removing the "N" word from Twain's book? It's a fictitious book about the way of life back then. Slavery was wrong. Attitudes and much of what was done back then was wrong. It's history. The good, the bad and the ugly. But liberals want it erased because you don't want little feelings hurt. Liberals need to grow up. It's like being in kindergarten. Whaaaa, make them stop! lol. Please grow up already.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your posts are as interesting and enlightening as your hubs.

2. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I never watch it, but I have to think it must truly be an hour or half hour of valuable time wasted. maybe use that time to take a brisk walk or read to a child..  those Jewish remarks are not "entertainment" and quite offensive. I don't get how people can listen to that stuff.

3. Mighty Mom profile image79

I could think of any number of preferable uses of time. I'd rather have a root canal than listen to Glenn Beck. But that's just me.
    Somehow, some way I imagine that the rabbis' public request will not only fall on deaf ears at Fox News, but will end up being ridiculed by Beck et al.
    Beck will undoubtedly claim he is the victim here (classic Tea Party ploy -- a la Palin's "blood libel" accusation).
    Which would be totally ironic, given that the "accusers" are Jewish.
    But again, maybe it's just me who sees it this way sad

4. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

It appears that is how they play their audience. Trash talk those they don't like and then turn around and play victim to gain 'sympathy'... it has always reminded me of schoolyard bully mentality. I guess one way to get rid of shows like that is to not give them ratings by watching them. I don't think writing letters would do a thing.
    hmm

off to read before bed. enjoy your evening MM.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

elle, problem...Beck buys his air time he is not technicaly an employee of Fox, he has his own stand alone corporation. They lease the Studio from Fox.

He has millions following him and thus more ad monies for Fox, its a win win for Fox. and It has been tried before, He's syndacated, more like a sub-contractor of Fox and has freedom of speech to say things.

If  The argument really is the Use of wording,  thats denial of speech and thus Beck wins it, by proving the words are in all kinds of Books and all data thats been available to the general public for years, thus nothing harmfull, exceptional or new to society (Nothing against the norms of society). ... which unfortunitly, it really is.

They need a more solid argument, and reason. A legal one. They Honestly do not have one.

Its All Passion mongering psychology to manipulate all of us. No Good for anyone. I refuse to give up my energy to folks like that.

You are correct; Beck can not be Chief if he has no Indians, so turn him off!  No ratings, no show.

5. Mighty Mom profile image79

Thanks for the enlightment, Dutchman.
    So basically, the man is within his 1st Amendment rights to say whatever he wants as long as he doesn't violate FCC rules, eh?

In short, Beck is not unlike what he accuses others of being. His tactics are Hitleresque, are they not?

6. fireatwill41 profile image60
    fireatwill41posted 13 years ago

What will take to get him off the air you say? People need to stop watching him. Won't happen though because the plague that is ignorance is spreading and bigger than ever, and he prays on the ignorant. Sad, but true.

7. Mighty Mom profile image79

Very true fireatwill.
    I pray this "stupidity rules" plague will somehow end and America will embrace education as the means to "exceptionalism."

8. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I like him when hes debating with o'reilly but i get were you guys are coming from.

1. optimus grimlock profile image60
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've watched his show for 10-15 a few times and noticed that he jobs sides on ther same issur often! I think his heart is in the right place he just is to condesending at times.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Darwin's theory will correct things eventually.  It took humans a while to begin walking upright too.

1. William R. Wilson profile image61
      William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually most times a species f's up this bad they go extinct rather than evolve.

1. lady_love158 profile image61
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only species going extinct is the liberal species! LOL

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you're exactly right, Jim. Liberal spinners are as much drama queens as any conservative spinner. As I always say, they are both false religions. I'm not for censoring speech, but I do wish people could return to a better sense of propriety and dignity. Not false arrogance and pretense, just a better sense of what is actually truth and a better way to express it.

Oh, I doubt that! It's physics 101. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. I don't think that's going to change in the universe any time soon.

10. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I'm not a proponent of any sort of censorship. He obviously has an audience that he is appealing to. I don't agree with 90% of what he or any of his Right Wing cohorts have to say, but I will defend his and their right to say it.

I served this country as a member of the Army and I'll continue to serve and protect our Constitution until the day I die.

Censoring speech is not the way to go, it's counterintuitive. The right way is through open dialogue, debate, and debunking claims supported with well thought and researched evidence.

Simply removing words from our vocabulary or changing the meaning or phraseology to spear feelings creates victims and it's so much easier to side with a victim.  Well, when we allow this to happen we all become victims, we support each other, we erase the offensive, our feelings are speared, the other side wins! 

We're on the Left because we feel, because we have emotions. The Right knows this and they play into this causing us to lose judgment and become reactionary.  When we allow this, the other side wins!

11. profile image58
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Bad ratings.

12. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Until someone is willing to tame Beck's insatiable ego and monstrous insecurities, he's going to rant and rave because it brings big bucks. I don't think Murdock has 'nads to silence him when Beck is making such waves and driving up ratings.

What is shocking and disheartening to me is to visit a church and hear people QUOTING him, as if he's the Good Shepherd. Makes me wanna puke in my shoes. There isn't anything Judeo-Christian about what he says. He offends so many people and insults everyone.

But the money is too good to silence him. Besides, Fox's premise has always been to be controversial. Fox is FAR more controversial than moralistic. They found a money-making niche, and it certainly isn't about broadcasting morals. While the network media started tilting middle ground/liberal, all Fox had to do was find a few nutjob conservatives and put them on the air, next to the likes of "Family Guy" and similar other shows.

And every good Christian knows how valuable such shows as "Family Guy" are for their Sunday School lessons....

Still, Fox seems to be a stronghold for "good" Christians awaiting the Word according to controversy.

13. lady_love158 profile image61
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

LOL! I love Beck! I love how the left is trying to silence him. The left hates the truth! I never heard Beck speak about Nazis or the holocust in anything but appropriate terms. I guarantee this organization is funded by the left. Beck will never be quiet at least not until this country is back on track!

1. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It must be so cold being such an empty person. Sad.

14. Mighty Mom profile image79

Whatever you say, LaLo -- oops, I mean Glenn.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID22698/images/beck-facts.jpg

We need a like button.

15. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

How about a liberal counterpart to Beck,Limbaugh etc?

Never mind, the left tried that and it failed miserably.

Oh well, keep trying to censor speech you don't like.

Its the "leftist" thing to do.

1. tom hellert profile image61
      tom hellertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, PBS , ABC and NPR they are the counterparts for fox and limbaugh- it does not matter how you lefties degrade fox n Rush they have the ratings- because everyone is tired of the vile, libelous liberal jibberish vitriol and that type of garbage put forth by the lamestream media- lefties tried "airamerica" went out of business - why because They and THEIR message sucked and was full of crap.

16. Mighty Mom profile image79

Good point, but no benefit to HP to "liking" forum posts smile.

17. sagar hubpages profile image61
    sagar hubpagesposted 13 years ago

i hope is it more than 50Kgs.? is it

18. Mighty Mom profile image79

Removing the "N" word from Huckleberry Finn is ridiculous.I do NOT agree with that at all, nor do I know anyone who thinks it's a good idea. Period.
    It is not liberals who want it erased. It is ONE Twain scholar named Dr. Alan Gribben, associated with ONE publishing company, NewSouth Books (of Louisville and Montgomery) who took it upon themselves to republish this sanitized version.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the American south is not exactly a bastion of liberalism, is it?

19. Mighty Mom profile image79

wbfree,
    I do not disagree with you. The word "Nazi" in and of itself is a valid word. It can even be funny (remember Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi"?). It is how it is invoked and the purpose of its invocation by Glenn Beck that is of concern. He has crossed a line in calling George Soros a "Jew boy who led Jews to slaughter" (or similar). Which is flat-out false.

Sane, rational people do not take Glenn Beck's rants as gospel truth (actually, sane, rational people do as you suggest and ignore him and go about their lives).
    Unfortunately, some people do believe him and do get incited to violence by him. Have you heard of the death threats against Frances Fox Piven -- instigated by Beck and carried out by his fans?

Political commentators who rally their fan base are great. Pundits who make people think about issues are fabulous.
    Hate mongers spreading lies and inciting death threats are dangerous. Do you not agree?

Who does that? Certainly NOT Beck!

LOL! Oh you libs are just too much! Huffington Post?  George Soros has declared WAR on Beck, had one of his producers threaten Beck's producer and you quote as a source Huffington Post, a blog that gets major funding from Soros?

And the CS article had NOTHING of substance! Why don't you try watching Beck for a while you might learn something! I thought you libs were big on education.... or was that indoctrination... I get them confused some times! LOL

Well...

It does seem awful strange to me that an obscure foundation named the Tides Foundation, that no one's ever heard of, gets mentioned on Glenn Beck's program several times and the next thing you know some wingnut is headed over there to kill some folks.

And it's awfully funny that Frances Piven, an obscure economist whom no one's ever heard of gets mentioned on Glenn Beck's show and suddenly she's getting death threats. 

I mean, sure.  Obviously there's no connection.

Beck just reports the facts... you'd do well to listen so you know what kind of people you're supporting.

Ah, so the killings and death threats were justified then?

Crickets....

Stil silent in here?

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
              Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who cares?

Well, maybe the people who are getting death threats?  And their families?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                  Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They'll have to deal with it.

So, I guess we've established that death threats are OK in Jim's book.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)