jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What do you think of the new Van Halen single, "Tattoo?"

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Van Halen is about to release its first studio album with David Lee Roth on vocals in close to 30 years, and the first single from it, "Tattoo," hit radio earlier this week.

For those who might not have heard it yet, here's the video via YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA&ob=av2e

Mmmmm... I dunno, I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's OK I suppose, but considering this is supposed to be VH's big "WE'RE BAAAAAAACK" statement, I was expecting something a little bigger and badder.

If this had been released on one of VH's earlier albums, it would've fit comfortably on the back end of "side B" of the record (i.e. with the songs no one ever listened to), it certainly wouldn't have been the lead off single!!

1. peepingtomb profile image87
      peepingtombposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For some reason this single reminds me of the band Extreme. I agree with your assessment but might be able to add a few positive notes. The new vocal harmonies are strange but kind of cool. Eddie's solo is spot on and is classic Van Halen all the way.

2. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's grown on me over the past couple of weeks but it's still album track fodder and not a quality single. I would agree with peepingtomb though that the solo is very good.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The new VH album is released tomorrow... I haven't heard any other tracks besides this one but I've heard from some other fans whose opinions I respect that the rest of the disc is much stronger than "Tattoo," guess we'll find out soon.

1. peepingtomb profile image87
        peepingtombposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are some more official songs and previews on the official VH youtube page. It looks very promising.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

i was never a big fan of van halen...it was good to see eddie though in the vid...i won't be buying the music....but it's good.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

...i'd rather listen to......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSn0SbQJQI

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 4 years ago

sad!!!!! I heard it and wtf is this came to mind!

4. Michael J Rapp profile image59
    Michael J Rappposted 4 years ago

Van Halen is probably my all-time favorite band, but I do not like the new song at all. That said, I'll probably get the album because it's Van Halen, and even the worst of Van Halen is better than a lot of the junk out there today.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's not bad...not great....but maybe we expect too much. Too bad a career is built from the bottom up. If it was the other way around, we hear a band only get better through the years. The best licks have already been used. A band only gets a certain number of really good ones. My best observation is :At least it's not Van Hagar!!!"

5. 60
    ensitaposted 4 years ago

i can't watch the video sad but i really like the new single. my favourite album is 1984.

working