How Many People Do Not Have Kids

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 50 discussions (157 posts)
  1. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

How many people truly believe life can be 100% fulfilling for those that may never have children?  How many people are childfree and loving it?  I think kids are great, I just do not want any of my own.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think its a matter of the mind. Oprah appears to be fulfilled, and she's the richest woman in Entertainment.

SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I respect Oprah completely, and she does seem to enjoy her success.

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, i never wanted kids. i was terrified of hte responabillity. it happend naywya, and I swear, I can timagine my life wihtout them. If I had never had any, I would have missed out on more then I can explain. BUT.....you cant miss what you never had. If you really dont want kids, if your having fun as is, dont go having any on purpose. Its your call, and no kid wants to grow up knowing how they messed up mom's life.

3. Rob Dee profile image60
      Rob Deeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'm child free and i absolutely love it. My ex had a 12 year old and that's a BIG reason why she's my ex now. It can extremely tough to be in a relationship with other peoples kids. On the plus side though, now there is a lot more freedom.

4. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always said that having children is the worst thing a person could do to the enviornment, since the population is growing incrementally.  I think that having children is a, somewhat, selfish endevour.  If having children is not right for you, I think it is your right to choose not to have any.  Children are a huge responsibility, not everyone would want to take on such a responsibility.  I hate to think that some women feel pressured into having babies.

1. candice5 profile image57
        candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have hit the nail on the head

5. candice5 profile image57

Same, but i don't necessarily think that they are that wonderful.
      Most of my friends regret ever having any.

6. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My children are my life and I don't think I would be here without them in it.. Maybe I would feel different if I didn't have them but I cant think of my life without them.... I think some people just feel the need to be a caretaker as I am also a CNA..I feel the greatest when I am helping someone or taking care of them..

1. Ambition profile image60
        Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are lucky that you are a mother and you can feel the real spiritual love between you and your kids.

She is happy to be in that role So good for her.

2. kmackey32 profile image64

Thank you ambition

7. Mobile Phones profile image57
      Mobile Phonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can assure you, one day you will say " I want my Own Kids".

Source: Personal Experience.

http://hubpages.com/x/hub_32.gifcool  http://hubpages.com/x/hub_32.gif

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. I never wanted kids of my own, and my opinion never changed.

8. profile image53
      shakil2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think children are necessry elemnet in our life. youth and middlaged passed and then we need anyone who care ourselves and i think whiout childen is not possible . i know in western counrties have lot of old houses but we also know what is the problem there. old man get meal and treatment but not get truly love. that was only possible with children.
      i not ignore those kind of persons also who do no want children but time and time they changed

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

So, you are voluntarily withdrawing your genes from the humanity gene pool... Does not know you enough to really tell is it beneficial to the humanity or not, I guess you should know better wink

Nasty

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But true. You'll get used to it, providing you stay here any longer. smile

I don't know if I feel good about that, the lady that started this seems really nice, and genuine, I think that that was immensely horrid to say that to her.

1. Misha profile image63

Yes and no. We have a long history of relationships with SweetiePie here, that has both bright and dark sides. It's all in the context. smile

Thank goodness I came off one Forum ages ago, abit like this and was called a Pommie Bitch. Wasn't impressed so thought Wow another Site like that one.

1. Misha profile image63

No, it's not always like that. In fact it most of the time not like that, except for religion and politics. smile

After I made that post of mine (first ever) I looked in Politics, and even that felt unfriendly so yes I left hurriedly Don't know that much about all the Religions, so didn't go there they are always contentious.

2. SweetiePie profile image82

I have no dark side to my personality and I am 100% a genuine person.  Your comment was rude and I tried to ignore it yesterday, but your implying I am not a nice person will not change the fact that I absolutely am.  Also, if I wanted to have kids I would be a good mother, and there is nothing wrong with my genetics.  Your comment was rude and trying to justify it was petty.

1. tksensei profile image59
                tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And humble. Don't forget humble.

smile

I do not claim to be humble, but joking about anyone's genetics is never justified, and then going on to justify it is too much.  I was hanging out on the forum to stay away from the politics.

2. Misha profile image63

Yeah, sure Sweetie, you are 100% love and light, and I am 100% hate and darkness. smile

I was not actually talking about your personality here, I was talking about our relationship that has bright and dark sides, sorry if I worded this erroneously. smile

I never said you are 100% hate, but really that comment was a bit much.  Oh well, wish that person had never brought it up to be honest with you.

1. Misha profile image63

You implied it Sweetie. Pretty much like I implied problems with your genes (which I don't believe  you have ). I just did it consciously to tease you, and you just did not watch your words. smile

Talking about watching your words, who is this person that better never brought me up? My mother? yikes How dare you! wink

3. SweetiePie profile image82

I really just wanted to start my own thread where single people without kids could talk about how not having kids can be just as fulfilling as having them.  I feel no need to procreate, and I really think it has nothing to do with my genes being in the pool of humanity.  I think it is slightly provocative to imply someone's genes are not as good as others, why go there? I do not even think about it that way.  This is just a fun thread where single and child free people can share that they feel good too, even if they never have children.

1. profile image0

oops. I missed that one. sorry...not the place for me...I really meant that if you dont want a kid, its no crime...catch ya later sweetie pie. Have lots of fun and dont be hard on yourself.  smile

I really enjoyed reading what you had to say though denisematt:).

Very good points emievil:).

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've broken my promise of ever coming to the forums again to respond to your post, Sweetiepie.  smile

Yes, I agree.  This is rather provocative for anyone to assume.  There are all kinds of reasons people decide not to have children/or do not have them.  And maybe it just could be that some people's genes could actually be BETTER than others...that they see the world may be populated enough, or that in their situation, having a child would not be a good idea as they could not give he/she what all is needed (true unselfishness), or that they are better off serving (sometimes in child related professions) or using their talents in the world in another way.  And those reasons are just for starters.

And like it or not, women still have a harder time maintaining freedom having children.  Just a fact. 

Anyway.  It is a choice.  Absolutely.  And I don't understand disparaging other people's choices.  Unless, lol, you are somebody like Octomom or something.  Now that's a reason perhaps, to disparage a choice(s). !

Thanks, Sweetie, for posting this.

3. candice5 profile image57

That was a totally stupid remark disregard it the Guy probably has kids, Just like my friends. Had a phone call today. Theres a big expo of Craft on and she wants to go, and none of us want to look after her human gene pool, because we too want to go, and we didn't have them.
      They only die like everything else, I think it is selfish having kids. (Good excuse eh)

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

See nothing wrong with being childfree. I have hobbies and activities to keep me occupied.  One does not need children in order to be fulfilled.  Such an idea of totally atavistic to say the least.  There are people who have children who in hindsight wish THEY HADN'T.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Sure ma'am, sorry ma'am

*grabs his hat and silently leaves*

smile

1. profile image0

but, you siad it...so it wasnt silent...

5. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

My husband and I have been married for almost 3 years now and we don't have a child. I can't say I'm pressured to have one (although in our culture, not having one will make you the topic in any gathering)and we don't pressure each other as well smile. I think we'll have one when we're good and ready, not because some people think we should have one. Right now, we're just enjoying each other's company and building up our assets (or riches smile). My husband and I also talked about it and we think that if we'll have one or two, that's good. If we don't, then we're not meant to have one.

6. SweetiePie profile image82

It sounds like you and your husband are just taking time to get to know each other.  Nothing wrong with that smile.  I not even saying I will 100% never going to have kids, but I am not going to feel my life was any less rewarding even if I do not.

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear, hear! And don't let people tell you otherwise smile. Believe me, there are a lot of folks here who think that a woman's greatest mission in life is to have kids (plural, not singular). I just don't listen to them, that's all smile. I see no point in pressuring myself (and my hubby) to have one. I've also seen women here who are rich and fulfilled even if they don't have children, and women who are harassed and can't take care of their children. Believe me, I'm not ready to be in these harassed women's shoes.

7. SweetiePie profile image82

Sorry if my thread sounded so serious smile.  I really do not even know how to start a fun thread.  I have a feeling this is not a very popular topic anyway.

1. profile image0

Ok. sorry Im still here..its interesting to me...
      first off, you should know by know threads just EVOLVE....no matter how you start it. and it is a very popular topic. Thats what makes people so ........argumentative?
      what I was trying to say is...having kids is a personal choice, I personally love mine, but in no way should you be made to feel bad becasue you responsabilly decide your not ready.

8. getpaidtopost profile image39
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

My daughter and my wife are the only reasons i continue to live. I think without them I would have topped myself long time ago.

The best thing i ever done was to settle down and have a child.

Money can also make people feel fulfilled however that's just a feeling, god forbid that money never runs out.

people who just have money have great security, however Love is the real fulfillment of life.

I love guys who are good family men. smile what you said is true but children are the parents' responsibilities also. I've seen so many irresponsible parents and children not very well treated because their parents weren't prepared. I don't want to become like these parents. If I think I'm not prepared, I would rather have no child at all.

1. getpaidtopost profile image39
        getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point, I made a crazy post years ago which received lots of attention. please don't be offended. It was my thought that all should be sterilized at child baring stage of life. As this op is now reversible. People wishing to start a family should be required to meet a few requirements before the reversal op. These reqirements should be IQ , mental stability test, and support in terms of Money.

Where i live I know of people who just have kids to get money of the govenment people have upto 11 kids of who i know and they get nearly £4000 a month from government.

These people are not responsible, hell most of them just let the kids roam the streets whilst they drink all day.

I think my requirements would stop the above and much of the anti social behavior from kids. IMO smile

2. candice5 profile image57

I have never understood why people need kids, isn't it just an animal instinct?

9. SweetiePie profile image82

I get what you are saying dennisematt.  From experience I rarely start threads though because these never seem to go very far.  It was just an obervation I have noticed smile.

1. profile image0

I know. You can start a thread about lunch, and it lasts a day. You can start a thread about morals or religion or politcs, it will go on and on and on....but YOU and your original question will be long forgotten. I gave up in starting threads too.  smile I do think you are really a sweet girl.

10. emievil profile image67

Sorry SweetiePie, I think I'm hogging your post. You just posted a topic that is really interesting for me smile.

I am enjoying what you have to say smile.

11. SweetiePie profile image82

Thanks Dennise!  I am tired of those political threads, I have tried to stay away.  Funny how the smallest things said over there can still be quoted hours later lol.

12. James S. Thornton profile image61
    James S. Thorntonposted 14 years ago

I don't have any children right now.

Maybe I'll have them later on, when I got more money and this blasted recession is over.

With enough money, you can hang on to a large part of your freedom despite having children.

That's how I look at it.

I'm 31 right now and I don't really want kids until I'm 40 or something.

I have a friend that is just on 40 and she said all the time what you did when I m 30 when I m forty and shes 40 now and its Oh well I m over it. Too old to bother.

13. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

@ get paid to post, I sorry didn't know how to qoute wihtout it being all long...
    thats an interesting idea. Right now you have to get councilling to even have the operation. like..do you know its not reversable? do you know youll NEVER have kids? I really dont think there is anything wrong in waiting till your ready. If you wiat till its PERFECT...you wont have kids ever. and I happen to know, youd miss out on alot.

Yes I know there is a few creases, and its a totally crazy idea. just a thought to stop all these producers of wasters. Wish it was that easy. smile

1. profile image0

I know. On my local news, they do this thing.Thursday's Child. Every week on Thursady, they feature a kid that is a ward of the state, for whatever reason. The kids needs to be adopted. It toatlly breaks my heart every single time. I mean, these kids didnt ask to exist, they alwasy say.."I dont care where I live, I just want to belong, to have a familly, to beloved."  I know too well how it feels to be an unwanted child, and I thank God every day my kids are mine, and they are wanted, and they know it. It kills me....

Well said, Dennise, Kids should be wanted from the heart, and I feel this in your words. smile

14. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I don't have any children yet. I am 22 and I still have 3 years left of school. My parents had me when they were 24. When I was younger I thought that was a nice age to begin a family. But that isn't going to be the case for me. While my boyfriend and I have been together for four years and have great experience with children, its still not the time. I also have a condition where it might be difficult to get pregnant (same as Kate from Jon & Kate plus 8). So in my case it may not be wise to wait too long, but ya never know smile I know ya'll think I'm crazy young to even think about kids. But I'm really not. I'm actually one of two out of 5 girls that have known each other since we were born that does not have children. The other girl just got back from her second tour in Iraq. But it will happen when it happens. But yes, I want children. However, some people can live extremely happy fulfilling lives not having had children. I don't think that having kids "is the point of life".

15. SweetiePie profile image82

Very good points Lita, and might I add I am glad to see you did come back, if only for a short visit smile.

16. Mac Mission profile image62
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

I have 1 sweet daughter of 1year old ...... !!! she loves me lot and I love her too much. We have different stages to enjoy life. I passed school days with friends , college days with friends and studies, marriage with wife, now daughter ...... I just enjoying this ...

17. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Kids - 0
    dogs - 2

cats - 4

Dogs and cats can be challenging to raise just like children.

If there was a kid pound to take the more difficult ones to, I might consider adopting some.

1. Raven King profile image60
      Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

kids 0

wild animals: songbirds, falcons, chipmunks and they are free! No poop patrol! yeah!

hobbies: too many, knitting, writing, painting, pretending to play the accordion, learning new languages, playing video games, dreaming about KORG ( synthesizer), etc.

You are young so you might change your mind.

18. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

You seem very young (your pic). I'm guessing you might change your mind maybe in 5 years time... but there is nothing wrong in not wanting any.

19. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I don't have any children (that I'm aware of), but I would like to someday.  I'm seeing someone right now and she does not want kids.  It's a little frustrating.

20. simplyjo profile image56
    simplyjoposted 14 years ago

Well I ain't married but I'd have kids if my hubby wants em..

21. janni321 profile image59
    janni321posted 14 years ago

I am 25 and don't have any kids and don't want any in near future, its sure. But may be sometime in my life I need kids

22. Colebabie profile image59

Well good luck with that one Candice. If you use the excuse "they only die like everything else" you aren't living.

Actually my nightlife alone, would mean I could be bothered trying to cope with a Kid. I am a Party animal, and intend staying that way.
      Fun is what I enjoy and living is only fun for me without a Kid.

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's cool. I understand. But making the comment that "they die like everything else" just isn't a reason for me. So do you have no pets, no plants, no loved ones because "they die like everything else"? I understand the rest of your reasons, just not that one smile

Of course pets etc and plants, but they were here anyway not anything done by me. I just don't particularly like any disturbance to my Lifestyle.

And that doesn't sound selfish? Like I said, I totally understand and respect your lifestyle choice to not have children. Just wondering.

23. jonwenberg profile image59
    jonwenbergposted 14 years ago

I never thought it mattered, but now that I have my little girl,I would never trade places with anyone.

I don't need to have children, but being a dad makes me so much more of who i am. i know myself better now.

24. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I added another sentence scroll up as to my reason why I have kids...

Thats cool because you have what you want, whereas, I just couldn't handle it. hey neat reading about that stuff you have put  on my post. Re the Internet begging thing.(I wondered if it would get any replies. especially after that guy said it was a Sock Puppet Scam. and he has been mean on this one too.  Just putting an ad in.

1. kmackey32 profile image64

Im not sure if im having a blonde moment or just stuck thinking lol or what but im confused what guy about a Sock Puppet Scam?

25. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I was married at one time, and had two wonderful girls during my marriage. Since the divorce, I have only had contact with one of my children twice in nearly eight years. There is not one day that goes by that I do not think about them and hope one day they can forgive me for leaving what they thought was a good marriage. If you have no children, or do not want children, then you may never know how a child can bring you to a grounded point in your life.

Never had never miss.
      I would miss the Nightlife and the travel, and the Clothes I am the material girl, and make no apologies.

2. Ambition profile image60

thats true only children can bring a new meaning to our lives.

Although, i don't have any( i m not married even) but as a psychology expert i can understand the happiness a child can bring

26. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

I don't have kids. Never had any interest in having my own, though I like some other people's kids well enough. The whole idea that you'd die without your kids or live for your kids (like my mother seems to do) is just odd to me. How about living for you? I love the freedom of my life.

I think the first time I said I wasn't interested in having children, I was a teenager. Everyone always said, "oh you'll change your mind," "you're young," blah blah blah. But some of us never actually change our minds. I'm in my mid-40s now and don't regret it a bit.

The only annoying thing about not having children is the fact that nearly everyone who does thinks you are, 1.) selfish, 2.) missing out on something, 3.) unfulfilled, 4.) lacking meaning in your life, etc. Just pick a number.

I have had all that shite too! They are usually people, that regreat having no Life. KMackey doesn't say don't have any she just says She is happy having them. I wonder about the ones that want to foist them on the rest of us.
      More and more aren't bothering these days.

Im confused, I have kids but I don't feel I have no freedom because I have them.. Everyone has there own path I guess. Some just feel the need to nurture.

Its cool you just see things differently, and you like kids, what we don't like are the pressurerizersa ( have spelt it wron I know) that think everyone has to be the same.

27. Colebabie profile image59

My aunt chose to not have children. She is a behavioral specialist and works with special needs children. I do not think that she is selfish, is missing out, unfulfilled or is lacking meaning. Not at all. She is the exact opposite of all of those. The reason that parents say they "live for their children" is because once you have children it isn't about you anymore. It just isn't. They of course live for themselves, and should take care of themselves of course, but their children will always be first.

I have never felt that anything was about me before I had kids.

1. Misha profile image63

Kristie, how could that be?

hmmm Idk maybe because im always trying to take care of someone. ya know..

But you had to have done things for you at one point or another. School? Certifications? Career?

2. embitca profile image84
        embitcaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So basically you are contradicting what Colebabie is saying. You really had nothing to live for before you had children? That is really what I meant when I said, "live for their children."

I totally agree that parents need to put their children's needs first, but if your entire live revolves around your children, if it holds no purpose besides being a parent, I think that is something entirely different than simply putting the needs of the vulnerable first. That's the thing I'm not capable of understanding.

1. Misha profile image63

Em, you have your own purpose, Kristie has her own. At least at that moment her life seems to be about bringing up kids. I would say it's a worthy goal. Good parenting is a full time job and then some, ya know smile

My entire life doesn't revolve around them. Although my life does include them. I am a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a CNA. My life revolves around many things......Psss my kids are first though. lol I will always feel a need to protect them..

1. Misha profile image63

OK, sorry, I should have said "mostly about" wink

Scroll up. i added they are first though. lol

No Im not saying I had nothing to live for before them. I live for them now ofcourse and would do almost anything for them to a point and want the best for them but if lets say I couldn't have children, I am a person who has a need to nurture and help people, it makes me feel good,  so I am still a CNA.. Understand me?

1. embitca profile image84

Yes, that makes sense. You will admit, I think, that your initial statement sounded a little off smile

Oh sorry. Ya know some people are made to have children and care for them and some arent. I know this all too well as my mother should have never had kids. smile Although I think I turned out ok, thank god.

You are in a very small minority. Believe me on this one. I do wonder if you would feel the same if she'd chosen a more self-oriented career. You've gone out of your way to qualify her as someone who is fulfilled by virtue of her selfless job.

As someone who doesn't have children, who has never wanted them, I hear it all the time. And like other prejudices, it isn't always stated directly.

Even if she had another career I would feel this way. However I fail to think of many "self-oriented careers". In any case, one is satisfied with their lives based primarily on family and career, are they not? Usually it is helping others that gives out lives meaning. I know others that do not have children. And again, they live meaningful unselfish lives.

1. Anam Cara999 profile image60
          Anam Cara999posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not understand portraying those who have no children as 'selfish.'  The opposite can be true.  There is something a bit selfish inherently about wanting to create a replica of yourself, isn't there?

It's just another silly cultural stereotype that you must have children "to be fulfilled."

I don't think everyone feels this way about people who have no kids. I don't. Some people give back in other ways. I honestly wish I would have waited later in life to have my kids. But things happen for a reason and everyone is here for a reason. We all have some destiny for are life. Oh man, now I feel like im preaching and I hate the religious forums. lol

That's great that you think that way. I am just saying that many people with children do not think that way. But you don't need to prove that you do. I believe you. I wish more people felt like you do, including my mother smile

I don't think my life's satisfaction revolves around family and career. I love my family, but my life doesn't revolve around them. As for career, that has always just been about money - a means to an end, a job really. I basically work long enough to amass enough cash to quit and travel. This isn't to say that I've hated every job I have had. I liked most of them, but they weren't my life's fulfillment. My whole reason for working for myself now is to give me more freedom to travel, though there is certainly satisfaction in writing and finding that it pays the bills.

If I were pressed, I'd say my life's satisfactions revolve around my traveling - to see new things, to witness great natural beauty (God's direct hand upon the world), to wander through bustling cities, to meet new people.

And there's lots of other stuff I love too, but hardly any of them have anything to do with family or career.

2. Misha profile image63

Not on my side though, I am always blunt tongue

Yes, we know tongue

28. kmackey32 profile image64

I had to think back because I had my first child at 17. lol

1. Misha profile image63

LOL And you don't remember what was before? wink

I was in high school. I can remember protecting my brother a lot when I was a child because he always got in trouble because he wasn't very smart. So I would hide his progress reports so my mother didn't find out. lol I am 33 now you know. Were talking almost 16 years ago...

1. Misha profile image63

So your kids is really your life. You are a cool mom Kristie smile

lol hell yea of course. They are now the most important..

29. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

SweetiePie, I am sure that people can live absolutely fulfilled lives without having children.  I think it can be a little more difficult for someone who wants children and can't/doesn't have them; but even they build their own fulfilling lives after adjusting to the idea of not having children.  People who don't want to have children have their reasons, and I don't think anyone who doesn't want something is going to feel less fulfilled if he doesn't get what he doesn't want.  smile

Exactly smile

You don't miss what you never desired.

30. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I really want one or two, but not until I've accomplished my career goals. If I'm not married with kids by the time I'm 35, I'll adopt. I'm very motherly and absolutely love children. I could not imagine not having kids someday.

Scary to think about because it's only 13 years away now....lol I better get cracking. lol

31. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Not all people have a choice to get pregnant when they want a child of their own, and it is heartbreaking.
    On the other side what if a child enters your life in some other way. I took on someone else's 6 year old when I was fifty.
    Children fulfill something deep inside some people.

1. Ambition profile image60

true

32. Colebabie profile image59

Yeah I don't know anyone who feels that way either. I mean I know you guys aren't making it up, but it may not be as prevalent as you think maybe. Like I said, I don't know anyone.

33. Moonchild60 profile image75
    Moonchild60posted 14 years ago

My best friend from childhood never had any interest in children.  She was an A student her whole life, went to college, became a psychologist, always played by the rules, married and never had children.  Suddenly in her late 30's she left her marriage for another woman and became a heroin addict.  She died in February at the age of 45.   I often wondered if her life would have gone differently had she had children or even just one child.  If there were someone she had put before herself. Of course, we can never know if she would have done that, but knowing her as well as I did, I am sure she would have.  She knew what a good mom was, she had one.  I always wanted children (I have 2) what I never wanted was a husband (also had 2).  Children are great, husbands not so much...My brother always wanted children and his wife does not.  I keep waiting to see how this destroys the marriage.  Right now she is 30 and he is 35...as he creeps closer to middle age the resentment should set in.  I think its okay if people don't want children but they should marry other people who don't want children.  Children are such a tremendous responsibility and amount of time and work, atleast if you are trying to do your job well.  Anyone not commited to that is right to decide that perhaps its best not to have them.  I respect their decision.

Hmm so interesting sometimes my kids keep me in check. I don't do things because of them...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Gee, if only she'd had a kid, her life would have been so much better because without one she was selfish. For all you know, if she'd had a kid, she could have left that child an orphan. There are plenty of parents addicted to crack and heroin. There are children born addicted to both substances.

A child isn't some kind of miracle cure to the things that are lacking in your life. The parents who treat them like they are are just as selfish as anyone who decides not to be bothered.

Hmm when I read this I thought, Thank god she didnt have kids!!!

2. Moonchild60 profile image75
        Moonchild60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not saying her life would have been better if she had a child, I was wondering if it would have suddenly taken the same turn as it did. Would she have left her husband for this other woman and get involved in Heroin if she had a child?  Would she have been different, acted differently?  I am not saying her life would have been perfect and she would have made all the right choices had she had a child.  I am just wondering if it would have made a difference.

34. kmackey32 profile image64

omg you guys are turning me religious. DID you read what I posted. lol

35. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I think it has to do sometimes with what parents think will be fulfilling for their sons or daughters.  Traditional mothers think their daughters should have children, just as they have had, and put pressure on them.  I think the 'selfish' idea surrounding childless people will become more and more a thing of the past as cultural stereotypes are adjusted.

Yea me too. I don't want that for my own daugher's. I want them to full fill there life to the fullest first.. I hope they dont have children at such a young age and make a life for themselves first..

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But there is nothing wrong with having kids, either.  My sister has 2...they are good kids; her older son a straight A student.  She took her role as a parent seriously & it produced good results!  I've got nothing but respect for that.

My sister had kids really young, starting at eighteen, but she seems really happy with her life choices.  My nephew and niece are both ten and seven and they are wonderful and beautiful children.  I love them a lot, and even if I never have kids I have always had the experience of being around them smile.

36. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

as the world's population approaches 7 billion, as the world's natural resources are depleted at an alarming rate - here we'll throw in native habitat/vegetation, glaciers, prime farm land being overrun with ugly box houses, fresh water supplies (the next great war) - and as civilization inches its way up the extinction chart, it's rather ironic to see a society hellbent on spaying and neutering pets, while the light stays green on the issue of procreation.

were the sad and sorry and sordid details ever made public, it would be safe to say there are probably as many unwanted children as there are unwanted pets.

37. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

I think, "Thank God she didn't have kids!" is exactly the right reaction big_smile

38. chucky12 profile image57
    chucky12posted 14 years ago

No kids, I inherited a delinquint, hes drinkin tonite, drinks most night.
    I told my missus hes a waste of space.
    had the best education, best of everything, and still a mindless Moron.

1. profile image0

Who are you? Not trying to be mean, but..you joined 7 hours ago, you have no hubs...just a bunch of complainy posts about how much you cant stand your "woman" cuz she drinks so much. now her kid too? Arent you a truck driver? are you driving while typing on a laptop?

That's sad to talk about a child like that. Its not there fault maybe if you acted like a caring parent and try to help him instead of verbally abusing him, he wouldn't be that way.

2. chucky12 profile image57
        chucky12posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I am a Truck driver, and No I was at Home, laxing for the first time in a Month, I don't own a Laptop, I haven't written anything if you read about me you will no that I only joined a few hours ago. Was trying to get the feel of the thing by checking out the various personalities on here.
        Didn't expect a tellin off so soon in the Peace.
        Sorry if I have done something to annoy you, but it was a thing I could identify with. Do you want to look at My Drivers Licen se.  You don't know me so you'll be none the wiser. Not to put to finer point on it but I cleared off yesterday, so I was fed up. They are someone elses problem now NOT MINE.

1. flread45 profile image59
          flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are not helping your family much by ridiculing them,that way.

39. Mobile Phones profile image57
    Mobile Phonesposted 14 years ago

Did you REALLY Asked your HEART? If yes, you are an exception.

http://hubpages.com/x/hub_32.gif cool http://hubpages.com/x/hub_32.gif

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people don't want kids and there is nothing wrong or unnatural about that. Not everyone believe the same as you do.

40. Gypsy Willow profile image65
    Gypsy Willowposted 14 years ago

Be careful! I have several friends with good careers who panicked when their biological clock started running out and had all sorts of expensive treatment to get pregnant.

41. emievil profile image67

Wow when I left this post last night, it was like only one page. Now it has six pages!

I just came back from a party where I was told to have my own kids because it's always different if you have your own. Arrrggghhh! This is the type of question that can really put pressure on anyone to have kids. If I'm meant to have kids, I'm meant to have them even if I've already reached 40. If I'm not meant to have kids, then even if I go to other hospitals / other countries just to get  myself treated and get pregnant, I will never get pregnant. I have already accepted that this is a possibility and with acceptance came contentment.

I think adoptive parents can be just as loving as the biological ones.

smile you know you just read my mind. Actually, we're kind of semi-adopting our 2 1/2 year-old niece right now. Not because we want to adopt a child but because it is our way to help my sister, who is her biological mother. I like having her around and, although a lot of people have been telling me that having her will "get" me pregnant, I'm not in a hurry to have my own yet. We're just contented to be surrogate parents right now. smile

You may have kids one day, but being a surrogate parent does not mean you will be any less of a good parent. It sounds like you are a very good mother type.

smile About the good mother type, I don't think I am. But thanks for saying that smile.

42. Karen Banes profile image71
    Karen Banesposted 14 years ago

Hi SweetiePie
    I have two kids and love my life BUT I absolutly 100% believe that it's possible to live a happy fulfilled life without children. In fact, in an overpopulated world I think choosing not to have children (or considering adopting one of the many unwanted/orphaned children in the world) is a very responsible thing to do. Just my opinion:)

43. cynthiaalise profile image61
    cynthiaaliseposted 14 years ago

I do not have kids, however enjoy the time I have with my niece.  It think that these days it takes an entire family to raise a child.

LOL. I absolutely agree.

44. Shannondoah profile image58
    Shannondoahposted 14 years ago

He sounds like the reason, but moving on I actually never want children, either, main reason, I no longer am a practising Mormon. I like what i am doing I am 30 now, and couldn't imagine being that old with kids.
    Just me each to their own.

45. chucky12 profile image57

well great big thank you right back at you the last Couple.
    Firead I inherited a massive problem, and until you try living with it, which will be my first essay on these pages, you just don't know.
    Besides they do a fine job making turkeys of themselves.
    I no longer feature in their environs.
    Shannandoah. Don't want to insult you, But if you don't wan't them either, How do you feel justified in saying that I am the reason.
    I am the reason they drink, I am never there.
    They drunk before I came on the scene, she was doing the AA thing. Last bloke got the blame as well. So nother tellin off for me. Starting to feel at Home here.

46. Shannondoah profile image58
    Shannondoahposted 14 years ago

I am Sorry, I just thought that your attitude was a bit on the cruel side.
    But no I have never lived with the effects of alcohol, so I guess I don't know.
    I just read you had moved out also. I think I often am guilty of skip reading.

47. chucky12 profile image57

Okey Dokey Yah off the Hook then!
    She even abused my moving buddies, with a bottle in her hand.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad your out of a bad situation. She does seam to have problems you can't help her with.

1. chucky12 profile image57
        chucky12posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yah not kiddin Just been read the riot act by her Girl friend an ex Lawyer from the City.
        So I know what I am going to have to fork out already, and its the weekend Worth it though, Peace o Mind. Glad someone feels for me.

48. Lockenbar profile image60
    Lockenbarposted 14 years ago

I enjoy children, providing there're properly cooked.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cute wit!

49. Shadow Jackson profile image64
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

I'm 29 and don't have kids yet. I might one day, but I'm in on rush. My sis just had one and that's good enough for me. lol

50. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

There are people who don't simply have no desire to have children. They have very happy, fulfilled lives.  They have careers, friends, hobbies, activities, & other interests in life.  Children don't make for a more fulfilled life.  In fact, there are people who have children who REGRET it.  They didn't want to have children in the first place but were coerced to do so by family, relatives, religion, & peers.  They view their children as burdens to tolerate, anticipating the age of 18 when the children leave home- hating the very presence of their children.   Most people who have children really didn't want to have them in the first place according to a study done by Anne Landers 4 decades ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)