When do you stop needing your parents and they start needing you?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. DaniellaWood profile image71
    DaniellaWoodposted 14 years ago

The answer to this question is going to be different for every individual, I realise. My grandparents have unfortunately become quite ill at the moment, and my poor mum has been running up and down, taking them to and from hospitals and helping them at home non-stop. I then thought about how my nanna & grandad always ring home asking my parents for advice on financial issues, which I don't really understand at my age. So then I wondered, "At what point do you stop needing your parents," ("Sorry, Mum, I need to borrow some money again..." - "Dad, what should I do in such-and-such a situation?") "...and they start needing you?"

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would think about it rather as a process than a point. Gradually you become less dependent on them, and they become more dependent on you. smile

2. NewYorker profile image58
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

When you start becoming more successful than your parents. I'm guessing a lot of people will take this the wrong way, but what I mean is .. Maybe you have more education than your parents.

My mom is an elementary school teacher and I'm a children and adolescent psychiatry resident and she calls me from time to time and starts with "Honey.. I have this student who's veeeery hyper, but I don't think it's ADHD.. Do you think he might be schizophrenic?"

It just happens at the time when you start becoming more successful in careers and .. sometimes life than your old folks.

1. DaniellaWood profile image71
      DaniellaWoodposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good point and I agree with you there. I'm only a teenager at the moment, but do actually have more qualifications than my parents and have noticed my mum asking me questions a lot more lately, which I'm more than ok with! tongue

1. profile image0
        Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe you're so young! Your hubs are great. I thought you might be a working writer.

I think it often becomes a matter of health and the fact that as you get older, you sometimes need help with things that you used to be able to do on your own.

Also, when a spouse dies and the partner left behind has been married for 50 years and never once cooked a meal for themselves or spent a single night alone - that makes life suddenly very hard for them.

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I was raised in a disfunctional enviroment, left home when I was 16 and have never returned, now that my parents are in their late 60s I say hi now and again but its a strained situation, sometimes I feel guilty about not being in cantact with the more, but my guilt if of set when I remember how things were when I was a child....

4. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Wow, your family is so different from mine you may not even undersgtand my answers.  I stopped needing my parents at about the age of 13 or 14.  I never got any money loaned to me for any reason at all, and as a matter of faCT, at the age of 14 or so, I had two jobs, was doing home schooling and was also taking five or six courses in library sciences and linguistics from the Univ. of Kansas,Nebraska  and Conn. so I could get a pay raisel  My mom made us be self sufficient from a very young age. 
    Now so far as she needing me, well she refused to live with me after dad died, for she kept saying that she thought I was going to put her in an old folks home (Like I could afford that !!) My mom is a little off in the upstairs  quarters, so I don't think my answers are going to help you much. I can say that the sooner you do not lean on them for cash, the sooner they will feel that you are mature enough to help them out maybe.  Nobodty is going to ask questions from someone who cannot budget their own monies.

5. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

It happened for me when I hit my late teens. It had nothing to do with my success or lack thereof in the outside world. It was simply a case of me making my own way and no longer requiring their financial support.

Moral support was and remains a different issue. When I went out into the world I took with me what they knew of life including what was then called a Protestant work ethic. Instead of being told right from wrong or which party in government is best there was instead a sharing of ideas and ideals. Carving your own place in the world is important and my parents knew this.

6. NewYorker profile image58
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

It also really depends on HOW your parents need you. I mean, I get a call from my dad from time to time "JESSE.. HOW DO I WRITE ON SOMEONE'S WALL ON FACEBOOK?"

My parents would NEVER ask me for anything super serious. In their mind, I'm still a grumpy 17 year old.

They ask me about Facebook and Psychological advice.

7. bingskee profile image59
    bingskeeposted 14 years ago

i think the answer depends on the situation one is in, what culture one belongs to, and what kind of parents one has.

when one already has economical power then he/she can stop 'needing' his parents based on the financial aspect. but i believe we do not really stop 'needing' them especially when we need their pieces of advice on some things. that is, if the parents are dependable on this aspect.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It depends on the individuals. I loved it when my parents began to truly treat me as an adult and valued my opinions. And now my neice and nephew have become true, independent adults and are treated as such. I noticed this at Christmas how we were a room full of grown ups with no children. Each with our own lives. It was great.

As for dependence. That changes constantly with the needs of the individuals. If one of us is sick or having a bad time we help each other. Age is not the determining factor, it is need.

9. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I think parents and children always need each other, but it's the type of need that changes. When the relationship between a parent and a child begins, the child is physically dependent on the parent, and the parent is emotionally dependent on the child. A mother bonds with her baby before the baby even realizes that the mother has a separate existence from itself. Gradually, as children become more physically independent, they develop an emotional dependence on parents. As parents become less responsible for children, the emotional/physical dependence may change. Children may show more concern for the well-being of parents, and parents may become less aware of the physical needs of the child.

1. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool I agree. But even "needing" can be extended to people other than immediate family. I think that's what relationships are all about. Just as the old saying goes, "No man is an island," or was it "No island with just man?" big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)