jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Why Boys Who Are Sensitive and Empathic Are Derided In This Society

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Even though in the past few decades, masculine roles have been less rigid, there is still an underlying rule that boys are to be tough and not to show any signs of weakness.   From early childhood, boys are inundated with this idea of masculinity.    Boys who are more sensitive are often derided by male authority figures in their lives whether it is their fathers, relatives, teachers, and related persons.   Sensitive boys are subjected to verbal abuse and bullying and/or worse.   They are often called pejorative and derogative names by other boys.    However, in order for this world to evolve into a more peace loving society, we need to appreciate the gifts, cherish, and nurture our more sensitive boys.  Do you agree with this premise?  Why? Why not?

1. 0
      Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I totally agree, it may help to create a more peaceful world.  I think we also need to recognise the qualities of women more, because even today the majority of the figures of power in the world are male.

2. emrldphx profile image62
      emrldphxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm glad I've never felt like those stereotypes were important... I had a lot more close friends than the 'manly' guys at any age... caring about other people rocks.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Machismo is alive and well. *sigh* Men who are ruled by testosterone only are limited and dangerous. That's what starts wars!

I have a great suggestion to get boys and their male mentors in touch with their emotional core: Everyone should be exposed to a 12 Step Program.
    Hugging and saying "I love you" (and meaning it) to another man do not demean the man's masculinity in any way.
    Men in recovery rock!

1. 70
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And how many such men have you dated?
      Nature is a harsh mistress and does not brook weakness.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Lol, logic,commonsense.
        I haven't dated any men in recovery because I'm married. LOL.
        But I have met many who used to be raging rage-aholics.
        Really super macho with no softer side whatsoever. They have gotten in touch with their emotions and are no less masculine because of it.

Do you consider it weak to be sensitive or empathetic?

1. 70
          logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am an empath but do not let it run my life.
          I am sensitive when the situation calls for it, but do not turn in to a milksop.
          I believe men and women should be strong.  I consider it weak to let your emotions take over your life. Nature requires that the male be less emotional.  The male in most species is the killer that provides for the family.  If he is too emotional he will not provide for the family.  Basic instinct.
          Just logical, commonsense! smile

1. TLMinut profile image60
            TLMinutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree even though prevailing opinion is that men and women should be allowed to demonstrate no differences. Vive la difference! (however it's spelled)

Of course men don't need to be wusses to acknowledge they have emotions and feelings but men and women are different for good reason. We need both, not all a bunch of delicate female types who cry whenever they get their feelings hurt. We're masculinizing women and feminizing men, what the heck do we think is good about going against the original setup? Devolving to the least common denominator?

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Its a class thing. The lower classes tend to be rough. The upper classes tend to be sensitive sophisticate.

4. 0
    Mike Bigioniposted 4 years ago

Empathy is an important trait. It is a major reason I have the amount of good friends that I do. I am nice to most people and I try to be conscious of others. These traits can be a weakness in ways, but I am happy with the way I am. I was an angry person in the past and now that I try to be kind, caring and empathetic I find that my life in general is happier. Until someone messes it up that is;)