jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)

Would you eat a test-tube burger?

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

A Dutch scientist is working on a new food that gives a whole new meaning to 'mystery meat.'

The idea is to grow cow meat from bovine stem cells.

There are still a few things to work out:

Since there is no blood in the meat it's pinkish-yellow in color.

Scientists need to grow the fat separately to keep the meat juicy and tasty.

A scientist is expected to unveil his Petri-grown burger in October.

There is no word on who gets the first bite.

To produce the meat on a large scale, it could take up to 20 years

Read more: http://www.kypost.com/dpp/news/local_ne … z1mz5g8siF
    would we know we were eating a test tube burger? It doesn't sound very appetizing

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do not think so. lololo! No way it sounds a little disgusting. big_smile

2. Dale Hyde profile image85
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hard to say! Could be the fad of the future, or the ONLY way to have a burger in the future, lol.

3. Leroyworld profile image61
      Leroyworldposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Personally, this sounds more like a publicity stunt than a serious proposal.  The product looks like it is a long way from any significant production.  There is no way to tell what the final product will be like, so I will wait and see about the taste, texture, and affect on lab rats.   Personally, this sounds more like a publicity stunt than a serious proposal.

I am curious about one thing though:  if it is possible to grow meat in a laboratory, then what other applications are possible?   

Would it be possible to grow human organs for transplants? 

Are we going to be seeing artificial headless chickens laying eggs in sterile rooms thereby eliminating a major source of salmonella food poisoning?  Can we just grow the eggs directly?

Will we be able to grow wool without a sheep, just a sheep skin?

I think a little imagination, and humor - if you have some, is called for.

4. jpcmc profile image88
      jpcmcposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think I would out of curiosity.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

nope!...sounds scary! yikes

3. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,noooooooooooooo.

Lol, did that answer the question? Only if it comes from the Real cow.

1. jpcmc profile image88

So it's a no then.  Lol

4. TheMagician profile image93
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

Sounds crazy... but you know, for a lot of people saying no, they might not know that they're drinking aborted fetus cells in Pepsi!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..that's just gross....ack!

1. TheMagician profile image93
        TheMagicianposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, haha. It's been talked about for a while now.
        The lab that does flavor research for Pepsi (and Kraft, and Nestle!) does it.
        It's supposed to "enhance the flavor."

1. jpcmc profile image88

Is this for real? This is just morally detestful if it is.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image86
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

No-- I rarely eat the regular kind.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image92
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Absolutely NOT.

I also saw that link today, none of that is remotely safe to eat, and everyone knows that GMOs made by the Merchants of Death, Monsanto - the folks that flooded Alabama with pcbs and murdered un numbered poor blacks with them, thousands upon thousands of American GI's with agent orange, and caused the suicides of over 1,400 Indian farmers in one year....are representatives of the entire fake food plan.

No thanks.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6206530_f248.jpg

7. againsttheodds profile image84
    againsttheoddsposted 5 years ago

Yeah, I'll pass.  Didn't know that about the PCBs thanks for pointing that out Wesman.

8. againsttheodds profile image84
    againsttheoddsposted 5 years ago

There is enough difference just in a cow that is grass fed rather than feedlot beef.  Imagine the possibilities here.   Sprinkle it with some aspartame for flavor?

lol

9. QualityContent profile image71
    QualityContentposted 5 years ago

No way. Not a chance. I am so sick of scientists and corporations screwing with the natural world. Leave it the HELL alone.

i agree...stop screwin' around with nature!

10. pedrog profile image61
    pedrogposted 5 years ago

that's flippin' gross...soylent green would be better...ahhhh..,...ack!....

11. Jed Fisher profile image86
    Jed Fisherposted 5 years ago

But seriously. I’d probably be happy with whatever, not too picky. But rather recently I’ve developed food allergies. But pinning down the allergies, that has been hard. Nothing showing up in allergy tests. But Genetically Modified wheat, that makes me sick, just like a person with wheat allergies. And Garlic. Not all Garlic, the stuff growing as weeds in my back yard, no problem. I used to eat Pizza all the time, but now? forget it.
    Genetically modified garlic, that causes me to stop breathing if I’m not careful. Severe headache, bad enough to make me pass out, throat swells shut, that sort of thing.
    And where do they get the genes they splice into these GM foods? Well, to ensure compatibility with humans, they….they splice in human genes!
    That’s right, brothers and sisters, Soylant Green really is people!

12. michifus profile image86
    michifusposted 5 years ago

SInce it has so far cost around $200,000 to make, probably not unless my Hubpages account starts producing a lot more revenue. Although that is also the cost of a tourist trip to space, and I would get a lot more pleasure from spending the money on that.

Seriously though, a test tube burger is not that different from other synthetically manufactured foodstuffs. How about cheese? It is a protein manufacturered from animal products. Why should a test tube burger be classed as anything different?

working