What Is Passive Income??

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (53 posts)
  1. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I wrote 2 hubs on passive income but I want to know passive income in your own words and how much you are making on passive income??

1. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passive Income?
      That's when income passes you by, NO?

1. damajoyi profile image60
        damajoyiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dude, that is freaking hilarious.  It may mean income eraned without breaking a sweat.

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I first started online nearly 8 years ago I thought passive income had something to do with smoking and income combined....maybe breathing in the passive secondary smoke from the smokers would somehow gave me an income....I can laugh about it now, because I'm still a donut!

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is where you can earn more money without doing any more work.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you have to ask what passive income is, you shouldn't be writing Hubs on the subject.

It might have been better to ask this question before you wrote them - now it just looks like you started this thread to plug your own Hubs..

liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I posted this thread three weeks ago and since then I have did some research and that's why I am writing hubs on it.

2. profile image51
        sabrinathomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passive income, on the other hand, is income that does not require your direct involvement. Some kinds of passive income you may be familiar with include owning rental property, royalties on an invention or creative work, and network marketing.

1. MouseWalker profile image59
          MouseWalkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HA HA owning rental property is not passive it is a lot of work running rental property, fixing it up, getting the rent pad, getting the new renter, and more!

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was half way rude. . .

5. profile image0
      Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Earning a passive income takes alot of work, especially in the beginning.  But the idea is once that work is done then your money keeps making you money with very little effort on your part.  I am in the beginning stages and am still "doing the work" but so far I've made 200 dollars in one month.  That's 200 extra dollars added to my monthly income.  To some people it's worth it, to others it's not.  You just have to find your niche.

Thanks for the great answer Contrice..

6. workwithnate profile image61
      workwithnateposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passive income is income that pays for your life even if you are not working.  I just took a 2 year sabbatical that passive income paid for.  Some people just want money...and those people typically spend it as they get it.  I want a life...on my terms.  So I created it!  Passive income gave me the money to BUY ME TIME!  Anyone can do it, but it takes effort, personal growth and the development of people skills.  Good luck in your pursuit!

7. profile image55
      manatax2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Except for fixed interest, I really don't believe in passive income, but at least with shares or property you don't have to worry about managing staff. There's still work involved. The main advantage of property is tax offsets.

I don't know too much about real estate, but my grandmother was a real estate agent. What she told me is that it's not the property but rather the land that appreciates in value.

I think you have to decide what you're priority is:
      1. Capital Growth - buy an asset and sell at a higher price
      2. Income - rental income, share dividends, bond yields

If all goes well, an investment loan can be you're best friend with capital growth and worst enemy with income. A loan can leverage your return for when you sell for profit, but if it's interest and fees are too high, that can offset your income. That may not seem like a problem now, but if you don't fix your rate, it could be later.

The land of house will go up over time if you pick a quality property in the right location. This is better for capital growth.

An appartment in a high occupancy area might be better for income if it costs less than a house. You can pay the asset off sooner so you don't have loan interest offseting your rental income stream. This may not be a good idea for capital growth. I've heard of people in Melbourne and Ackland who have made a loss selling appartments. I would buy one if I wanted a no-fuss ongoing income stream, but not for capital growth.

- Get a certified valuer to value properties you're interest in so you don't get ripped off and can set limits particularly at an auction.
      - A financial advisor is also important.
      - A property manager, you could claim their fees off tax on rental income.

You want to check the property doesn't have problems like pests, electrical problems etc.

Property is a big investment. Arm yourself with knowledge and advice so you don't get screwed.

I think now is a reasonable time to invest if you're in the USA, but you may want to wait until mid-year to be certain. FIxing the current low interest rate for as long as possible would be very wise.

Here's a couple books I found on Amazon:
      http://www.amazon.com/Investing-Income-P…
      http://www.amazon.com/Master-Guide-Incom…

I think you might have worked out by now that property really isn't passive. It's hard work! It's good if you think you would enjoy it, but be prepared to make the effort.

For the best passive income read this book:
      http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dividend-…

If you prefer stock market dividends income don't borrow to invest.
      Coca Cola is a good example of a dividend income stock.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

As far as I am concerned, the first things that come to mind are interest on capital and royalties on published works.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Usually, when you are passive , you do not have any income!
      And sometimes you are SO not passive and still - no income!

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. tjhooper profile image60
    tjhooperposted 13 years ago

passive income is sometimes used synonymously with residual income....I don't think this is a fair synonym, but none the less people use the terms interchangeably.

It is used to describe an income that you initially work for, but eventually keeps paying out even after the effort has stopped. Examples would be collecting royalties for products that you referred that is purchased over and over again by the same people...or a monthly service someone signed up for under you.

examples would be maybe companies like amway, mary kay, etc. There are other affiliate programs like that, but you can also earn residual income from things like posting pictures to be downloaded, google adsense from your traffic, or articles/posts that get paid on view amount.

1. profile image0
      Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great Answer!!

4. javed2805 profile image60
    javed2805posted 13 years ago

Passive income is a type of income which requires no physical involvement by a person to earn. Royalties, rental income, books and movies are just few examples of passive income.

5. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Passive income is income that refuses to budge or bite back no matter how much you shout and encourage it...

6. TommyLimas profile image59
    TommyLimasposted 13 years ago

I write about passive income too, but differently from others.

Passive Income : Money working for YOU

7. deweyduck profile image60
    deweyduckposted 13 years ago

Making money with little effort. Passive Income. Of course, setting that up in itself requires a ton of effort.. as I am trying to do myself big_smile

1. Ricky Covit profile image57
      Ricky Covitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think about three things

one is good keyword research
      writing a good hub about the keyword
      then getting the hub backlinked to make sure it reaches no 1 for the keyword

Rinse and repeat . Voila you have a formula

8. Jasejames profile image70
    Jasejamesposted 13 years ago

Absolutely it is some kind of income that comes with almost no effort after putting he initial effort.

9. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I make a good $300-350 a month now from my 135 Hubs, even during the months I don't publish. Continuing to publish just pushes that monthly passive earning income up a bit.

1. seedling profile image58
      seedlingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is it about your articles that provides such a high earning per hub?  Are you linking them a lot in external sites?  It doesn't look like the keywords are that valuable.

10. Wayne Orvisburg profile image61
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I consider it an income that takes some form of initial investment, either money or time, that continues to earn you money over a long period with little effort after the initial investment has been made.

11. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

great comments everyone.. How much money have everyone invested to make passive income??

12. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

To me passive income will be if you set up a membership website, and members pay a monthly fee to use the site. But because of attrition it really is not passive because you have to work to get more members.

1. imperial_han profile image58
      imperial_hanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passive income is when you have ideas or inventions, pattern it earn royalty, buy property earn rental and appreciation value throughout the time, stock provide dividends and capital gain and so on.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passive income is sitting on your butt doing nothing while money comes rolling in.

1. Research Analyst profile image73
          Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL big_smile

2. Masata profile image59
      Masataposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is not true because I have a social network which in turn is a membership site and I don't have to gain members for it anymore because the effort I put forth to get it started with the members I already had such as family and friends who support my site,also aided in the whole gaining more members once you create a membership site that has something people like and you get a few people to notice it and or use it your work is done because these members will find you new members and the chain goes on and on and on without any extra effort from you. See word of mouth is the best way to advertise and my members do that often so I don't have to. Their friends and family trust their word and from that my site grows and grows and I make no effort to advertise unless I really have too. Since I don't have to I just site back and watch the money roll in.

13. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 13 years ago

My Site Is Passive Income

14. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

passive income is money smile

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

A Passive Income is earnings that which are automatically generated on a specific basis, for which is measured and constantly regenerating. wink

16. profile image0
    NS22posted 13 years ago

The internet is choke full of people touting methods of earning passive income. Affiliate marketing, PPC campaigns, and websites made for AdSense are all popular ways to earn passive income. One method is to find a product to sell by searching clickbank or commission junction, create a website around that product, use keyword research, search engine optimization, and article marketing to drive traffic to the site, earn a commission on every sale. If you do all the above parts properly you will have passive income.

Great answer NS, you've really did your homework!! smile

17. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

When I'm EXTREMELY passive, I get income...smile
    Sorry, my mind's in the gutter this eve.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. --
      Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act III

18. J. McCoy profile image59
    J. McCoyposted 13 years ago

When my initial investment of time or money is making money without me working for it any more. WOOOHOOO!!

19. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I don't think rev share income in necessarily passive income. I think of it as cumulative income, until you get to the point where you feel like you've earned what you wanted to on a piece, then it's passive.

For example, I write for one site where I'm paid $20 per article plus rev share, but I have to have $20 in rev share to get paid. Since I've already been paid for the article, the income is passive...I don't have to do anything else to earn it.

But on Suite101, my earnings aren't that great, and I've only gotten up to $3 average per article. That's not enough to cover the time it took me to write the articles, so it's not passive, it's cumulative. When it gets past an average of $20 per article, then it will be passive. Right now, I don't feel like I've been paid enough for each article on average to justify my time.  That's one reason I don't write there much anymore.  I don't think writing a lot there will justify the income.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting way to look at it.

Have never thought of it like this....

I think that puts me right at the bottom of earning passive income from hubpages then. I think I've just earnt enough to get about $1 per article lol

20. solarcaptain profile image60
    solarcaptainposted 13 years ago

Passive income is simply income received with little active management on your part. Limited partnerships, real estate income, interest, or trust money that is drawing interest are all passive income.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine's pretty interactive. Passive income. That cash which you earn which gets passed to those you owe money to. Passive income.

21. Zubair Ahmed profile image74
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

In my view Passive income is any income that you get by sitting back and chilling. 

So how does that happen?

(1) Setup a website that brings in viewers (customers/users/surfers/arm chair experts)
    (2) Signup to affiliate networks like (Adsense, Kontera etc)
    (3) Write interesting topics on your blog/website/hubpage.
    (4) Market your article from 3 above.
    (5) Sit back and relax while your money (Passive Income) accumulates over time (REMEMBER I said OVER-TIME) it's not get rich quick scheme.
    (6) If you want to increase your Passive (Lazy) Income then do more research on key words and write more interesting editorials, then more marketing should do it.

For more info follow my journey to Passive income nirvana at my hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/AdsenseGoogleMoney

Regards and best of luck.

22. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Good Job Zubair. Excellent explaination of passive income.

23. magicman31 profile image58
    magicman31posted 13 years ago

An example of true passive income vs. semi-passive would be buying a rental property vs. investing in a real estate investment trust (a REIT).

We tend to think of rental income as passive but if you have to collect rent, hound your renter for a check, find new renters when one leaves, call the plumber to repair the leaking sink, etc. it's not exactly passive. Now a REIT would buy up a lot of properties, hire out the necessary tasks without you being involved and then deposit your share of the profit directly into your bank account each month.

Applying that here: a Hub with a good long tail that earns you money without your intervention vs. a Hub that you have to update to keep revenue from declining.

But tweaking a site or collecting a rent check is far less of a time investment than a 9-5 job and surely has a greater return per minute so that's not a horrible thing. 

Magicman31

24. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

non violent cash?

25. The Loan Arranger profile image60
    The Loan Arrangerposted 13 years ago

Nirvana?  And I don't mean the band!

26. profile image49
    yixiposted 13 years ago

I had created a simple guide on how to create a website for FREE to generate streams of passive income online.
    It consists of FREE resources available, and discussion on topics including find a niche, build a website for free, affiliate marketing network, generate web traffic, streams of passive income.
    Do check it out if you guys are interested.
    (http://www.online-passive-income.co.cc)

27. profitsbase profile image61
    profitsbaseposted 13 years ago

Passive Income Is The Income Earned On A Continuous Basis With Little Effort On The Onset. Example Of This Is The Royalty Received For Creating Pages In Web2.0 Sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)