Misguiding Newbies (Without personal attacks)

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (30 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I thought this thread was just getting interesting, so I would like to reopen it, however would kindly ask that no one attacks, or infers incompetence, towards anybody.

In response to Julian
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1069737

Google may not factor in Meta Keywords, but other search engines do, and tags are used for a wide variety of other things, so I would not discount them JUST yet.

Raising me
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1069706

A lot of good points, but rememebr to includ eparagraphs to make text readable wink

I think while Hubpages does suffer from misguided commentors, the great thing about the forum is that it allows for discussion, which helps people learn, be they asking questions or leaving their opinion.

The forum atmosphere allows not just newbies to learn, but pros also.  I know I have seen points raised which have opposed my own views on a subject, and after researching I have found that I was wrong, and they were right.

Of course the reverse has also been true, when I have shown other established people that I was right.

I think my point is that while many newbies post incorrect information, sometimes the professionals get it wrong too. Fortunately in a discussion, it allows everyone to learn what is right and what is wrong.

When someone leaves advice which is wrong, it simply provides a new learning opportunity for both the person asking the question, and the person who responded incorrectly.

The only problem here is if nobody corrects them.

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great point, I've read really off advice left by older members and many high ranking.  It's old out dated and we are in a constantly evolving arena. 

What I find interesting is what people don't say about what they know.  I don't discuss the way I do things...I listen, watch, test the waters and learn.   

Wonder what the silent people know.  ????   smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those who post the most are also likely to make trivial mistakes. I think those who take a more relaxed approach ought to appreciate that.

1. SunSeven profile image61
          SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My understanding was that if you upload to  www.YouTube.com/Movies you can go for longer duration. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

1. profile image0

With all due respect, I really do not know. I am logged onto YouTube, I went to that site you mentioned and clicked on the Upload tab. I was presented with the same screen: 2 GB/10 minutes limit. (There is a "record from webcam" feature, but that is a whole different thing).

Then why I am still having doubts that there is a way that you can still upload full length movies??!!

Perhaps the clue is in channels and My Movie - with all paraphernalia??

Best Regards

1. profile image0

You are way out of my league, and this may also be out of reach of many YouTube users. If you find out there is a workaround, maybe you can post to that thread listed above, at least I am interested.

With kind regards.

Sure. But its black hat.

1. profile image0

In that case, maybe better not post it, but thanks for the information.

2. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Well said, thisisoli.

3. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

There are some self-proclaimed newbie guides who seems to know all the answers. [For example I learned recently that youtube do not allow more than 10 min segments!] And they do not seem to like anyone else trying chip in with what they know. What fun!! smile

Best Regards

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

heh, that happened a long tiem ago, was cut to 40 mins to stop films being placed on it, then cut to 10 mins to stop TV shows appearing on it.

2. oscillationatend profile image59
      oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a great thread. I try to help out newbies, but if anyone's going to believe I've all the answers--or any of them--I'd be the first in line to join that club, and I'm over in the bleachers watching all of the action.

So...I'll stick with commenting from the peanut gallery. wink

3. profile image0

Re.: "[For example I learned recently that youtube do not allow more than 10 min segments!]"

My YouTube account limits me to video segments of 10 minutes in length, 2GB in size. I have not found any information to the contrary, which was the impression that I conveyed - not authoritatively, merely as my impression.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1061913

Thank you. I learnt it from that thread. See, I am still a newbie! smile

1. profile image0

You are an invaluable asset to this site, please speak up and correct any errors that you find.

2. oscillationatend profile image59

Since I've been on YouTube for so long (in one form or another) I'm test piloting a program where your video can be over 10 minutes long (but still less than 2GB in size, I believe.)

I feel really privileged for the Google Gods to endow me with such power, but I've yet to ramble on for more than 7 or 8 minutes. Although, some of my podcasts can be combined into one..hmm..

3. thisisoli profile image71

It would be correct, YouTube states the 10 minute limit several times throughout their website.

1. oscillationatend profile image59

I'm sure once they're done piloting the program everyone will be able to upload videos over 10 minutes. A lot of people already can, which is why there's videos on there that are well over 10 minutes long.

They'll also have to up the 2GB maximum size once more and more people begin filming in 3D. I've still yet to get glasses, so right now, those 3D youtube videos make me funky.

2. SunSeven profile image61

A small doubt thisisoli, how do they manage the movie(hours) channels? Or is it possible to upload clips of longer duration if you have your own channel?

Best Regards

I think you two will find this most helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube#Video_technology

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I really appreciate this discussion, and I too wish to thank thisisoli for opening it.  I like the fact that this venue allows us to ask questions openly and to give and receive different perspectives.  Forums have helped me to see just how much I don't know. I have also learned that some things I think are above my head are within grasp after all, if I can just be patient and take things one step at a time.

I want to comment on the Newbie label.  I have seen quite a few people who are very new to HubPages, but who obviously have a great deal of experience on other sites, writing, keyword-searching, backlinking, optimizing, etc.  They may have to tweak their knowledge to fit HubPages' policies and ways of operating; but many of them will always be lightyears ahead of me, no matter how new they are, and no matter how experienced I become here.  I would hate to let their newness here cause me to discount their knowledge.

[PS - What does "black hat" mean?]

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you legal front door is closed and you are trying to get in anyway - through the not so legal chimney... your hat becomes black...

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah------  choo.  Got it, thanks so much!  big_smile  lol

2. thisisoli profile image71

Black Hat is techniques which are frowned upon by Search Engines, Google in particular.

Using Black Hat techniques can sometimes be effective, but also runs the risk of your site being de-indexed by google.

In relation to google I think that by Black Hat they are referring to using underhand means to get longer videos posted.

Also, Black Hat stuff generally is because there's a flaw in the system somewhere---even if you were to use something, there's no guarantee that particular flaw you're using will stay open forever. In fact, it may lead to it being closed.

For example--it was real easy for a time to make everyone on Twitter add you without approval. wink

5. lisabeaman profile image70
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

The more I read, the more I realize I don't know! It's very overwhelming to a truly new newbie. I appreciate the help and advice that I've seen.

And I really like the black hat explanation from Home Girl. Good one!

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

To try bring this thread back on track :p

WOuld you class a newbie user who is using a black hat technique that works as misguiding, if he introduced it to other hubbers?

1. profile image0

You would have to be an anti-intellectual to suppress knowledge, so if the question is "does such-and-such exist and where?" then providing this information would not be misguiding.

But to suggest it upon a hubber merely searching for a solution to a problem would be irresponsible and misguiding, the reason being that a black hat solution is no real solution at all.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they were going to suggest it, they'd have to explain the dangers of using it too.  Otherwise yes, it would be misleading.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)