Where do you get the most traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Charlinexposted 13 years ago

I am new here. Just wonder where we get the most internet traffic for our hubs.

If you are a long-term member here, have you seen the most traffic from the internet search engines or from the fellow hubbers?

Thanks for your insight.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no question that most of my traffic comes from HP, by a factor of probably 3 to 1.  As hubs age, though, they will get more and more traffic from search engines.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you first join HubPages,most of your traffic will come from other Hubbers.  Then there will be a lull, until your search engine traffic starts building.

You won't make much money until at least 80% of your traffic comes from outside HubPages.

3. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Search engines.

I publish quality content, they'll find it in their own good time, and will send traffic accordingly (according to how many people are actually searching for the information I publish).

So concentrate on publishing good solid content first. Second, you just need to read threads on the forum. Look through the old ones. You'll see plenty of advice already dished out.

4. Csanad profile image72
      Csanadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me its Google search by far. Followed by Yahoo search and then by Hubpages. You can check it in my account/Traffic Sources.

Here's my actual percentages (as of right now):

Google search:        79.99
      Yahoo search:          12.66
      Hubpages:                   5.13
      Ask.com search:         0.89
      Bing search:                 0.61
      Conduit search:           0.37
      AOL search:                  0.35

So total percentage:

Search engine:          94.87
      Hubpages.com:           5.13

But I have been a member here for 19 months.

1. profile image0
        Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. This information is very helpful!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

most of it comes from outside sources but it takes time as some have mentioned.

as far as learning, as far as I understand, that's one of the primary functions of the forums. it's one thing to read all of the helpful info but sometimes it helps to go into the forums and get ideas. I find it best to use all of the resources available.

this is included in the forum rules:

The HubPages Discussion Forum is a resource for Hubbers to help each other achieve the most rewarding online publishing experience and to discuss topics of interest.

We encourage all Hubbers to use the Forum as an open space to:

* interact with each other in the spirit of cooperation and fun
          * ask for and respond to calls for help and assistance with publishing on HubPages
          * share advice and tips on how to create better Hubs and how to draw more visitors
          * come up with ideas to make HubPages work better for everyone
          * Discuss your favorite topics

The Discussion Forum will allow the community to complement each individual Hubber’s own talents and interests, to provide a living and growing repository for shared wisdom, mutual support and inspiration.

6. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

About 75% of all my traffic comes from either google.com or google.co.uk the rest is hubpages and various other search engines from around the world!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Yep, most from elsewhere!

3. tjhooper profile image61
    tjhooperposted 13 years ago

right now most of my hubs traffic comes from hubpages itself. I have one hub that has attention from yahoo an google, but that's about it.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time is our friend. The content also helps. If its relevant, it gets a lot of attention and people link it and email it everywhere.

1. tjhooper profile image61
        tjhooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah I know. It's just a matter of time smile

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Charlinex,

I have raised three kids, now in their 20s, and I have that hinky feeling like I'm dealing with a young'un again--you know, instant gratification and all of that stuff. None of us mind answering questions from newbies, mind you, but you've been asking a LOT of more advanced questions ("how long until...", "how do I place ads...") without mastering the basics first.

I've looked at all of your hubs and you have serious problems, not the least of which is that almost all of them are way too short to be effective, and you haven't done any keyword research--unless I'm grossly mistaken and lots of people are searching for information on wild Asian monkeys with thyroid problems.

Everyone here has been very gracious in responding to your questions, but I suspect that well is going to dry up soon if you don't slow down and do a little reading first.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Lrohner is giving you good advice, Charlinex, far more politely than I did!  Everyone is going to lose patience with you pretty fast, unless you show signs of being willing to do some studying yourself.

1. profile image0

Sorry Marisa, I posted the questions because I am new here. If you have lost the patience, I suggest you ignore my posts. Thanks.

Charlinex, once you've been here a while, you'll discover I do a fair bit to help newbies.  I, and others, are just trying to warn you that you'll wear out your welcome if you're not careful. 

If you read some of the other replies - from Lrohner,Darkside, and others - you'll see several people have tried to tell you to search the forums, read Hubs and the Help documentation first. It's fairly clear you're not following that advice, as some of your questions are quite easy to find the answers to.  People will not go on helping you if you persist in ignoring their advice, or if you give the impression you want to be spoon-fed.

Darkside has written a great series of Hubs on how to use HubPages. I suggest you sit down and read them all first.  Then follow Lrohner's advice and write some decent Hubs.

http://hubpages.com/hub/howhubworks

It's fine to write about any subject you like - sometimes the strangest subjects turn out to make money eventually, and it's easier to write what you know.  However, if you want to do keyword research, here's another series by Susana S that will help:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Mon … ges-Step-1

Now, off you go and do your homework. You've got more than enough there to work on!

1. profile image0

Marisa, I am actually surprised that you had won award for being helpful to others. If the Learning Centre is perfect, why HP has provided us with the forum? Even though I have a learning curve, it is not really nice and helpful to treat a three-day old member with this kind of replies. I won't mind a bit if you stop replying to my posts. Thanks.

1. Polly C profile image90
              Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The forum is very helpful, but Marissa is saying that you do not have to keep asking questions which have already been asked mnay times before, because you can read old forum threads for the information you require.  When you start up a thread on the forums it does actually ask you if this has already been posted.

1. profile image0

I beg to differ, Polly. Every year, new kids go to unversity and start to learn from 101. It does not seem to be fair to expect the new students to know the answers because the previous classes had learned them.

Initially I had decided to ignore the posts which are not helpful but only putting down the OP. However if this kind of unhelpful and hurtful remarks are not addressed directly, it will only intimidate the new hubbers from making progress. Besides, the remarks, including yours, are hijacking the thread and serving no constructive purpose.

I hope we can get on with more helpful and friendly community spirit.

1. Polly C profile image90
                  Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not being unfriendly, I am only trying to reiterate that much of the information you are requesting is easily found without starting new threads every time.  Not that I am particularly bothered about it, I was just trying to explain what Marissa was saying to you, about looking back at past threads which are almost identical. There are so many people on here, just imagine if every single person posted every question they had without trying to find out info for themselves! I think you are being a little too defensive..if we didn't learn from past information then what would be the point of books etc?

2. relache profile image72
                  relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's true that every year new kids go to University, and start to learn from 101 but that means they have to read their text books and do their own homework, not just ask the previous classes for the answers to any questions they have or try and copy their papers.

1. profile image0

Having had multiple graduate degrees, I seem to remember that textbooks were only a very small part of the learning experience.

A teacher is hardly a professional one if he/she has the tendence to put down the students in condescending and even bullying manners.

May I suggest that the tough motherly love should be reserved for one's own kids or anyone who asks for it?

2. 2uesday profile image65
                2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found Marissa's replies to questions posted in the forums helpful. I found the answer to things that puzzled me when I was new here by reading her replies to questions other people posted.

The Learning Centre is useful but sometimes reading a hub by someone with more experience answered questions that I wanted answered and provided information that I did not know I needed.

To answer the question - judging by Google Analytics about 75% to 80% of my traffic is from search engines.

2. blackhatworld profile image60
            blackhatworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your post, I've learned something.

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. profile image0

Lrohner, I appreciate your effort to help. However please understand that I am not looking for a mom. If you do not like my questions, you can certainly ignore them. I agree with you that we should continue to be gracious to each other.

5. Joe8943 profile image63
    Joe8943posted 13 years ago

I get about 60% of my traffic from Google, 30% from HP and the rest spread out between different backlinking sites and other search engines

6. vaguesan profile image70
    vaguesanposted 13 years ago

It's worth signing up for google analytics. It will give you the most accurate information. Right now a majority of my views come from search engines.
    I think the stats on hubpages aren't a little inaccurate.

1. profile image0

Yes, I did. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

The vast majority of my traffic comes from Google. I do get some HP traffic after a newly published or featured hub, but Google is my main source by a mile. Yahoo is great for my sports hubs as well as Google. Recently I have seen an increase from Bing.

1. profile image0

Google seems to have picked up.

8. profile image0

Thanks for the replies. That was what I thought too.

I have noticed that most of my traffic came from HP. It's good to know that the search engines will pick up the keywords later on.

1. Csanad profile image72
      Csanadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

just make sure you have tight niche keywords, not generic ones. Also long tail keywords (a keyword that consists of more than one word) work well.

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I get most of my traffic from Google, then Google Uk, then Google Images, then its a mish mash between Hubpages or yahoo, then Bing, then ask.

At least thats how it was a few weeks ago, it is usually around that though!

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having just checked my stats, I used to get a reasonable proportion of traffic from google images but in the last 30 days image traffic has dried up - Anyone any ideas?  I've searched for my own hub images and have no problem finding them.

Otherwise mine is mainly google.com, google.uk and hubpages.

1. profile image0

Thanks for sharing!

10. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Outside my house on the street is where I get most of my traffic!

On hubpages, probably at this point in time mostly from fellow hubbers who are kind enough to indulge me and read! It takes a long, long time I've found to pick up the 'outside world' and your pages have to age with time - like fine wine.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

1. profile image0

Thanks! smile

11. profile image0

Today I saw some traffic from Yahoo and Google. smile

12. arthriticknee profile image65
    arthritickneeposted 13 years ago

The various versions of google account for 16 of the 29 different referral sources on my traffic breakdown page.
    Google.com is in number 1 position with over 2.5 x its nearest competitor.

13. tools951 profile image41
    tools951posted 13 years ago

hands down hupages, Unless you know how to take advantage of keyword research for the search engines,

14. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I'm going to disagree a little.

Yes, newbies should look at FAQS and old threads.

However, sometimes things change and faqs aren't always updated and old posts can be wrong or misleading.

That's not the case here, but how would a newbie know that?

I never mind repeating myself because I just love hearing myself talk :-)

1. profile image0

Totally!  The best way to learn is to ask lots of questions and get repeated answers! smile

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Most of my traffic is on.........highways.....

1. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol I like that one smile

16. profile image0

Well said. Thank you. smile

17. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

I get most of mine from google and facebook and stumble upon and my space and yahoo and - well those are the top ones for me anyway - I have been away from writing for a few months but the traffic kept comming smile

1. profile image0

That's great to know that the traffic is sustainable. smile

18. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

Most of mine are coming from HP, but I am seeing an increase in Google Searches though. I am happy for that.. I am also seeing an increase in my Google Adsense.. More hubs=More money

19. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Google

20. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Charlinex, have you read any of the links that people have posted in this and your other threads?

In your thread "Unable to insert Amazon Code" I gave you a link on how to do it, if I understood your question correctly. If I didn't, I had another suggestion.

This was a post made 30 hours ago. If you want to keep up your end of the good student/teacher bargain then howsabout a bit of feedback so we know whether or not the advice has helped you?

1. profile image0

darkside, thanks for the reminder. After some research, I have decided that insertion of the Amazon code will have to wait a bit.

21. lucieanne profile image68
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Hi Charlinex - welcome to the pleasure dome! I've just been reading through this post and I fully understand your need to keep asking questions. I'll add at this point that I'm not in a position to answer them. However, everyone who takes the time to answer your questions has your best interests at heart. The guys who have been on here the longest really know what they are talking about.
    All I can suggest is that you start writing, and write, and write, and write......, about anything and everything, and really, everything will eventually fall into place. I'll also add that the advice you have been given so far is sound. Read from the experts, soak in their knowledge because they know what they are talking about, believe me. Ultimately it's down to you. People will give you feedback on your hubs if that's what you want, but you have to be prepared to take the criticism as well as the compliments. Read loads of other people's hubs and add your own comments, get involved in the forums and if anyone likes what you say they will check out your page and read your hubs.
    All this doesn't happen overnight. Get to know people and let them get to know you, but read up on all the advice that's on here. Sooner or later the penny will drop (I'm still struggling but I just keep writing anyway) and then you'll wonder why you thought it was such a big deal.
    Enjoy your time on hubpages. There's a lot to gain from listening to their advice and no-one wants to make you feel like you're not welcome, some are just a little blunter than others that's all.
    There's no rush. Enjoy

22. profile image0

Lucieanne, I appreciate that you take the time to write this post. However I have to disagree to a certain degree. I was asking a specifice question and did not ask for a mentor to guide my life on HP.

What I have been experiencing in the past three or four days is totally a surprise to me. I am not a newbie on the internet. This is the first time I have ever felt that I have been bullied, for no good reason!

If anyone feels that my question bores or irritates him/her, the easiest and simple way is to ignore it. I find it absurd that some people take a lot of efforts to lecture others how they should ask questions and why they should not ask questions. This discussion is totally a waste of time.

The bullying must stop.

However I am very grateful to the support and information sharing of a lot of Hubbers who share the same goal as I do - to learn and share, with an open mind and heart.

Charlinex, I'm sorry if you feel I'm bullying you.  What I'm trying to do is avoid the situation where you end up with half the story.  Your questions give an impression you're not making any effort to study the rich source of information in the links people are giving you, and instead are relying on the answers in the forum - and that worries me. Because you're going to wind up thinking you know it all when in fact, you don't.  And that won't benefit you.

As Relache said:
      "It's true that every year new kids go to University, and start to learn from 101 but that means they have to read their text books and do their own homework, not just ask the previous classes for the answers to any questions they have or try and copy their papers."

Remember there are no teachers here, only students from previous years who did their study, and expect you to make an equivalent effort.

I shall now take your advice and won't attempt to offer you any more assistance.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

2. profile image0

That's great! So you and Irohner shall not have to settle the scores to see who is more unpolite. Goodbye!

23. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Charlinex,

Do not mistake my earlier post for "motherly love." I was responding to the fact that in your first two days here, you posted six forum questions which is totally fine on the face of it. But two of them had to do with traffic and four of them had to do with ads and earnings, and yet the basics in your hubs are a shambles.

Most newbies here that I've met do research when they start, and then come to the forums to find out how to write better hubs or what topics to choose--subjects that obviously haven't hit your radar yet.

I thought only babies enjoyed being spoon fed. It is obvious that I was mistaken--or not. Peace, out.

1. profile image0

Goodbye!

24. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

Looks like most of mine comes from google searches, then HP, Yahoo search, and where I post my links, stumbleupon, current, facebook, bing search, ask, shewrites, and a few more.

25. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

You could take a lesson, even if you feel people are being rude (although you have received responses from the most helpful hubbers on this site)

In the long run, if you cant figure out how to use a search function and find things on the internet ...you stand absolutely no chance of being found yourself.

Without showing up in search results yourself...you will receive no traffic, no readers , no earnings.

I dont mind answering beginner type questions, i often learn myself from the resulting conversation, but you had in the past shown no sign of having done any research of your own and responses seem to fall on deaf ears .. DS pointe dout no response from you after helping, Im pretty sure I got the same treatment.

26. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I would suggest that it is a good idea to get traffic from within Hubpages as well as outside from the search engines.

Simply because Hubpages is a community and they encourage hubbers to comment on each others hubs, link to related hubs, help each other in the forums, bookmark to hubbers that provide useful information for reference, and each hub has a place to rate the content as funny, awesome, useful or beautiful.

All these features makes for a better overall experience so having a goal to get traffic within Hubpages is just as important as seeking traffic from the search engines.

Hubpages success is what should be the overall goal of each writer because they have provided the platform in which to express thoughts, write content, share, inspire and offer valuable products for all types of audiences.

Traffic will vary depending on the type of content a person writes about, I have noticed that the more specific a topic is the greater chances of it showcasing on Yahoo, Google, MSN and Bing.

Charlinex, I Hope this is helpful!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)