Re-Edited Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Hi folks.

Please check out this hub for me on the following counts about which I was offered advice:

1)  use of capsules with titles
    2)  combining 2 short items into 1 to make 'acceptable' word count without using nonsense fill
    3)  adding a photo capsule

Here's the link:  http://hubpages.com/hub/In-Memory-of-RudyCCat

(Please note that I will probably have to delete the entire hub and start all over again in order to get the correct URL, as this is the title as ONE of the pieces was originally written, prior to combining the two.  The CORRECT title as it should appear, is currently the 'subtitle' of the hub.)

Thank you.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I like the layout now, although it was a little confusing when beginning to read.  Could you add another text capsule at the top, somehow indicating again that there are two cats involved?  Even a one or two sentence capsule would work.

The capsule title right after the hub title is what threw me, I think.  Maybe it's just me, and easily confused, or maybe I didn't twig fast enough that the first capsule was only one cat.

I like the photos - could you put another in the top capsule?  I gather Rudy was a stray - perhaps just a cat walking around town or maybe a little girl holding a cat.  If you don't think it would detract from the poem I think it would add something.

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, wilderness.  I can add that text capsule you suggested, but what I may do, is what I mentioned at the end--delete the hub entirely, and start over again, so that it gets the proper URL of "A Memorial to Two Kitties."

No, Rudy was someone's beloved pet, a rescue, I believe.  (He may have been a stray at one time; I don't know.)

As stated in the preface to his poem, I do not know the owners in real time--only through Twitter, ergo, I have no access to any photos of him.

Thanks for looking it over!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you could solve it more neatly - just number the headings.  If the first heading has a #1 or 1. in front of it, it's obvious there's going to be a #2.

I agree, a photo next to the Rudy poem, even if it's not really Rudy, would be delightful. 

By the way, don't worry too much about whether the URL is correct.   People won't notice it, and a correct title can make up for an inaccurate URL in Google's eyes.

Ah--I see.  Thanks, Marisa!  ;-)

What would we neophytes do without patient and experienced Hubbers??

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the #1 and #1 would do the trick for me, too, and I think would be preferable to another capsule.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

OK--here's hub makeover #2:  Been working on it all day long, thanks to numerous irritating interruptions!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Colorados-Treasure

1. thooghun profile image93
      thooghunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats a definite thumbs up from me Dzy, it seems very well presented and flows very easily.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you get a second thumbs up from me.  As I commented on the hub it makes me want to visit.

Well presented with good information and I liked the photos.  It's a winner.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Very interesting Hub.

My only comment is that I felt you had too many links in your first paragraph.   Why invite your reader to leave your Hub when they've barely started reading it?

For instance, you explain what cliff dwellings are further down in your own Hub, so why would you send the reader to another Hub to enlarge on that phrase?

ahh--good point, Marisa.  Just learning about that 'suggest links' feature.  Perhaps I overdid it....  Will fix. thank you.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Further about the links--I guess not everyone does as I do with links in someone's hub.

I use one of 2 methods:  either I ignore them if I don't have time, or am not interested in 'further reading' on the topic,

OR

I right-click on them, and open each I'm interested in a new tab to read later.  In neither case do I 'leave the hub' to read what's in the links.  That would be very disruptive and a major distraction.  So..it did not even occur to me that anyone would 'leave' to read what's in the links.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I do open the link in a new tab, but I don't automatically leave it for later.  Instead, I'll take a quick look to see if it gives a better answer to my question - and if so, I'll switch my attention to the new site. 

I'll be interested to see what others say, but I think my way is probably more common these days than the "one thing at a time" approach - especially with the younger generation who are adept at working with multiple screens at once, have a shorter attention span and are more likely to jump around.

Oh, ok.  I didn't even think of it as someone having a 'question' they needed answered.

I thought of it more as a public service, if you will, as in,  "IF you are interested in further reading....click here."

I guess it shows that I'm an old fogey, who was taught to make note of questions, and save for the end, so as not to interrupt the speaker.  (Or writer, in this case! wink  )

Lizzy, the vast majority of your readers will arrive at your Hub because they searched for something on Google or Yahoo - which means they were seeking the answer to some question or other! 

In the case of your Colorado Hub, the question might have been "what do the cliff dwellings look like?".  In that case, seeing the word "cliff dwellings" highlighted in your first paragraph, your enquiring reader is likely to think "that's what I'm looking for!" and follow the link, oblivious to the fact that you give further information later in your own article.

Yes, I'm an old fogey too (I'm not that much younger than you!) but the young ones don't think like that, at least not on the internet!

5. Marisa Wright profile image86

MsLizzy, I just learned something new over on another thread.

Photos count as content, just as much as text.

So you could use photos to "pad out" your poetry Hubs instead of adding text capsules.  Just put each photo in a separate photo capsule.

I'm going to rustle up a quick Hub about how to use Flickr, because that would open up a world of new images for you.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Hi folks!

Ok, here is the now finished (I hope) hub: 

http://hubpages.com/hub/In-Memory-of-RudyCCat

Via one of my other Twitter acquantances, I was able to track down the owner of RudyCCat and gain access to some pictures of Rudy.

I hope the final product works better, now!  big_smile

7. Marisa Wright profile image86

Nice. Just wondering, is there a reason why you chose to put all the photos of Soot into one photo capsule?

I think it would look much better with at least two of those photos in their own photo capsules so they show in the Hub itself.  Certainly one big one at the end of the Hub, before the comments.

It was supposed to be a slideshow.  I thought the had to be in the same capsule for that to work.

oops..the typo gremlins got me .. I thought THEY had to be... LOL

Rudy's are all in one capsule, too...

Hmmmm

Although, when I uploaded Soot's pictures the other day, I did run into some glitches...

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

No, they don't all have to be in one capsule to make a slideshow.  You just need more than five photos in a Hub, and it happens automatically.

Actually I'm not a big fan of slideshows within one capsule.  If you look at the Rudy photo, I didn't even notice the green arrows, so I didn't know there was more than one photo of him.  And visitors to HubPages, who are not familiar with the system, certainly wouldn't know.  Which means that the photos "behind" the first one are wasted.

I just wrote a Hub about Flickr for you, and you'll see I have 5 photos spread out over the Hub - and a slideshow!

Oh, dear.  This seems to be a steep learning curve for me.... Will try again.

Don't despair.  When I joined HP, I was very computer savvy when it came to business applications but clueless about the internet.  It is a steep learning curve but it is possible to climb it!  Just keep asking questions - if we can see you're making the effort, we'll give you a hand!

One more thing - as this is a Hub about cats, it would be a good idea to include a link to your blog about cats.  That will count as a backlink to your blog, and as you know backlinks are a Good Thing.

OOOhhhhh..... I thought backlinks were external links that brought traffic HERE..and not outbound links. 

I have re-done all the photos, each in its own capsule....but with Rudy's photos, the ones that were provided to me come up saying "too small for slideshow."  Phooey.

It works both ways.  A backlink is a link on one website that brings traffic to another site. 

You'll often see people saying they post backlinks on their blogs to bring traffic TO HubPages, because HubPages is where they make money - so for them, it's more important to have readers on Hubs than on their blog.

Other people - and I think this might apply to you - would prefer to have visitors to their own personal blog, so they do the opposite.

If you look at my Hubs on dancing, you'll find that every single one has a link to at least one of my dance websites.  That helps send traffic to my websites.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

P.S.  I'm the opposite--I've been using the internet for years...and am pretty good at research, but tend to be clueless with the technical aspects of certain internet apps, such as Blogger and HP.
              Even Face Book gives me fits now & again...to be specific--they do NOT make it easy for you to find your OWN danged "page" if you have added a business page as an adjunct to your profile page....have to seach for it every time.
              It is a real pain in the nuisance, and as a result, it gets very neglected!

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Another newly re-edited hub.

I found several public domain photos for Bodie, CA, but only a single one for Murphys, and that was of the old jail block, not a delapidated Victorian house, as in my image.

This, after reading Marisa's beautifully detailed hub about using Flikr photo search.  It seems no one takes pictures of old, beat-up houses these days.  LOL  I guess that skill/taste died with Ansel Adams.

At any rate, here is the link, for better or worse:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Boom-Town-Pair

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)