What do you think of the name cockrats

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (42 posts)
  1. horsecrazyheidi profile image60
    horsecrazyheidiposted 14 years ago

My son got in trouble in church because he told people that a friend had some free cockrats which is a cocker and a rat terrier mix

1. lovelypaper profile image58
      lovelypaperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They obviously didn't understand, but still, they should lighten up a bit.

2. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

only from the mouth of babes....at the wrong moment...

Im sorry it happened, but it is funny smile

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say someone somewhere had a rat on his cock, or ratted out someone doing something with their cock and nevertheless put it in short form, thanks

lol

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad poor little guy. i wonder if he would have gotten into trouble if his friend had some free cockateils.

anyway they should call that breed of dog cockaterrs, or something like that. i mean they already have the cockapoo, which is a cocker spaniel mixed with a poodle.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say your son was joking or being rude.  Cocker mixers are normally called [ ]ockers.  In this case jockers.

6. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me as though these people in church ought to clean up their minds.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

lol I think those people at church don't appreciate a good joke when they hear one.

1. horsecrazyheidi profile image60
      horsecrazyheidiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you but I don't think the Sunday school teacher will ever like us again sadly to say

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sounds to me like you are better off without this supposedly good person in your life. I would be elated to have divested myself of such human baggage.

3. peptalk profile image59
    peptalkposted 14 years ago

I once had a Jack Russell Terrier who decided to mate with a Shiatsu.  We would have hat JackSh**s.  So Cockrats isn't too bad!

4. horsecrazyheidi profile image60
    horsecrazyheidiposted 14 years ago

Thank you got to love the dog names. I wonder what the worst mixed name would be. I bet we could come up with some that would get soap in are mouths smile

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I don't think mixes should have names. It's a cocker spaniel jack russel mix- nothing else.

There's nothing wrong with mix breeds, I have one, but why make mix breeds sound any more special? Besides being able to charge more for the poor soul who feels he's getting something other than a mix breed.

Why breed mix breed dogs to sell, when the same thing can be adopted from a shelter and give a great dog a great home.

I think some people have accidental litters, make up stupid names, and then sell them to ignorant people.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My dad used to buy pedigree dogs then mix the breeds. We got rid of some eye and arthritic tendencies in our lab crosses and produced some truly great dogs. These days I would just buy from a good breeder. smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree with the shelter bit and with the names as far as pets are concerned.

Might be a little different for working dogs, though, where a mixed breed can be very special smile

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Working dogs are different, but for plain pets, there's not reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a mix breed just bc some ignorant backyard breeder bred their lab and poodle.

There are "breeders" who have been breeding the above pair for 10s or near 20s of years but personally, those are the only ones who should be allowed to call themselves breeders of lab/poodle mixes, and I'll tell you there just aren't any of those people in the U.S. that aren't in-breeding. When a lab/poodle mix litter shows traits of both breeds in each and every puppy, then it's closer to a breed, versus each puppy looking completely different, some with more traits of one breed and some with more of another.

No reason to give these dogs stupid names. They're mixes.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No argument here - it seems to be all part of a huge marketing scam. People say, "I have a labradoodle," thinking that it sounds cool.

It is probably aimed at people who can't afford pedigrees but want to hang out with the 'in' crowd.

I am happy to use 'mix' or 'cross'

That's the problem that I have with pedigrees, in general - they were originally bred for a purpose, but some breeders take it to extremes and maximise unhealthy and harmful traits, just because it looks good.

3. profile image48
      truth writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mixed dogs are mongrels.as most dogs are.

6. janiek13 profile image77
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

I think your sunday school teacher has a dirty mind. Tell her words aren't bad, people are bad. I bet she'd love that.

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

God hath a sense of humor. The church should realize that.

8. figment profile image73
    figmentposted 14 years ago

It makes me laugh!  :-)

9. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I also agree about these "designer breeds", they're an invention of people who want to sell mixed puppies for top dollar. My husband has a friend that paid $500 for a poodle/beagle mix (can't remember the "designer" name for it), any idea how many of those are in shelters?

I have a miniature schnaupin. That is, that's what the people who bred her, along with a bunch of other dogs, prefer to call her. They are listed on some "designer breed" or "hybrid dog breed" sites and have been gaining popularity in some parts of the country. This particular miniature schnaupin was bred in a minivan, where she was kept with 19 other dogs, 13 cats, and a couple of birds...the dogs that went before her were sold on the street corner as designer dogs, which would have been her fate as well. Authorities finally caught on to how badly these dogs were being treated and seized them. All of the dogs had worms, all of the breeding dogs were severely underweight, and none of the animals had ever seen a vet. My own pup was in the shelter for three months before I adopted her, most people didn't want her because she had a broken leg that healed back improperly because she wasn't given veterinary attention, and she could no longer compete for food (table scraps only, they never had dog food) with a broken leg so she was also severely underweight...it looks like it got caught in a sliding van door. Some of the dogs died, but they all would have been put to sleep if we had a bigger shelter with a stricter holding policy.

10. spiderspun profile image60
    spiderspunposted 14 years ago

The cock shall crow, or something like that is in the bible. And ya, they should loosen up a bit, the child shall lead, and the child was not being "cocky"
    they could call the dogs cockrat terriers in the church.
    There are so many soles to save, good grief

11. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 14 years ago

If thats what its called then thats what its called. Lets call a spade a spade. I bet the sunday school teacher would have had a cow if you had said Cock-A-Poo. Oh my, thats just dirty dirty dirty. LOL.

12. IsadoraPandora profile image78
    IsadoraPandoraposted 13 years ago

Did your child get in trouble for saying the breed name ...or for how they SAID the name?

You know kids, they will try to put a naughty spin on normal things, lol.

13. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

This is also a cock.

http://themobilehomewoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rooster.jpg

I think the Sunday School teacher has a dirty mind. She can make it up in her head and blame others for being nasty. That is twisted and typical of overly religious types, from my experience.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had never seen a cock with that many colors.

hmmmm

Need to process this for a bit

be back at some point and time, I cock,  I mean think.

1. profile image0
        blake4dposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is very unusual for a person to mix the words cock and think up kimberly. Maybe we need to cock, I mean talk.

14. profile image0
    blake4dposted 13 years ago

I would say that your son is a victim of cockrat blocking.

15. goldie77 profile image41
    goldie77posted 13 years ago

I don't like the word cockrat -it sounds very rude. Labradoodle is bad enough and so is cockapoo (this is the current trend in the UK) but cockrats is worse.It sounds a bit like a cockroach.
    As for Shi-tzus -I met a women who had 3 and I stupidly said "do they sh*t a lot (cos they're shitzus LOL) and she was NOT amused -yes some people DO need to lighten up, I agree and she wasn't religious -just uptight.

16. goldie77 profile image41
    goldie77posted 13 years ago

a cocker spaniel and jack russell mix should be a cockajack anyway

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a shelter adopted Cockinese and I still get a kick out of saying it.

The shelter just described it as having dubious origins.

perhaps lifting up the status of mixed breeds will slow down the irresponsible breeding and buying patterns that have led to me watching 3 Boxers completely lose the use of their backlegs at a ridiculously young age.

If fancy names will help, then so be it.

17. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Why can't it be referred to with what it is... A cocker spaniel-jack russell mix. There's no reason to give a mix breed a breed-like name.

18. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Get Real.... Mixed Breeds are a real problem in this world yikes

I fear the Day that A WartHog jumps a BlueTit yikes

Sheeessh.... I'd have to become a Leg Man roll

They never did explain how they came up with that name Cockatoo hmm

19. Kristina_H_Chung profile image43
    Kristina_H_Chungposted 13 years ago

isn't that the name for a group of men who just want women for sex, and then talk about it after?

20. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Cockrats is funny (so is Jackschitz).  The sunday school teacher's reaction confirms the stereotype of religious folks as a bunch of stern-faced prudes, tsk-tsking around the church yard with sphincters snapping and narrowed eyes staring down noses while they waggle their fingers and make sure you know how much you need to shape up in the name of the lord.

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

somehow it reminds me of cockroaches yikes

1. camlo profile image85

Me too. But I also find it kinda cute smile

22. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

So why is it a cockrat instead of a ratcock anyway?  Just curious. big_smile

1. camlo profile image85

big_smile I wonder ...

23. thesailor profile image67
    thesailorposted 13 years ago

What's in a name anyway? They should let the kid explain, hehe!

1. Japemwellows profile image59
      Japemwellowsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These prudes should wake up! I agree with thesailor, these people should let the kid explain. They might even see the funny side if they opened their eyes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)