Do you have any tattoos?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Diane Inside profile image71
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I have an idea for a hubpage brewing in my head, about tattoos. Does anyone have any and what do they mean to you?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have several. They mean that in my youth I didn't always think things through.

1. Diane Inside profile image71
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I suspect that happens alot.

2. Lisa Hurt profile image60
      Lisa Hurtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a bunch. I am a tattoo apprentice! I'm excited about this!  I have a butterfly with a skull face on my right shoulder that represents a great friend of mine who was killed in a car accident on the first icy night of November in 2008. On my left calf I have a picture of a little girl from Korn's album Follow the Leader. It was right after my dad died, and it was to remind me NOT to follow the leader, because I AM the leader.

3. D_D_Brown profile image60
      D_D_Brownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most peoples first tattoo, now I don't mean everyone, is usually not related to any one thing in particular.  I used to be a tattoo artist back when it was illegal in Indiana.   I have eight tattoo's, and have meaning even my very first Tatt.   I did that tattoo with  ink and an insulin needle.  I highly suggest that nobody try this, because it took me two months to finally get it almost right.  Also, there is a high risk of infection(I used brand new needles, not used ones), it is the ink that your body can reject.  Drawing inks weren't made for wonderful tattoo's.

4. brimancandy profile image80
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I saw a guy on one of the court shows and he was tatooed from head to toe in leopard spots. What a dork! Can you imagine what he is going to look like when he is in his 60's? probably like death warmed over.

I don't get what theses people are thinking. He said he paid several thousand dollars to have it done. I would have said, give me the money and I'll smack the crap out of you til you're black and blue. Same effect as in a huge waste of money!

5. sjk6101983 profile image62
      sjk6101983posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have just two and actually thought them through before getting them.  One is on each ankle, and I didn't pay a lot for them either since they're not very big.  One is of my birth sign, which is Gemini.  I got it because I love my birthsign and the way it looks.  The another one is for the Ancient Egyptian symbol for "eternal life" because I've always had a love for world history, especially Ancient Egypt.

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

No, and no plans to.

3. RemmieRat4ever profile image60
    RemmieRat4everposted 13 years ago

I have one tattoo. I am 18 years old, and got it when I was 17. My mom took me to go get it, and it matches hers.
    It is a sun, with a quarter moon in the inside of it. I'm a night owl and have a huge connection to the moon and the nighttime, while she loves sunshine and things that happen during the daytime.

4. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I have three tattoos - all golliwogs - which you can look at on my hub. I am waiting for my eczema to clear and then I am going to have both arms tatooed with Maori inspired designs.

5. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

Sadly I only have five... money you know.  I got my first when I was a tween.  It was homemade, though not very 'cool' I keep it because it was my first.  I was originally going to have my name tatted but then thought it was a really stupid idea because I already know my name. So it is a small heart.

My second one I got on the nape of my neck.  Two seahorses.  I was a marine life fanatic, still loving everything about the ocean, I chose Seahorses because of their mating practices, their beauty, their fragility and because the males have babies. muhahahhaha.

My third one, a butterfly that I picked to cover up the other homemade tat of a pot leaf because I thought it was cool when I was 15, hemp was all the hype... blame on Snoop!  So I chose a purple and white butterfly I found in a Nat. Geo. mag because I changed...

My fourth tat is an orange and yellow flower mixed with some tribal art down the center of my spine.  I don't know why I got it but I can make up some symbolism... I got it in Chicago on liberty when I just got out of boot camp and wanted to commemorate my new journey.

I chose the it because I used to doodle something similar and was at the time infatuated with lilies but also had my share of hard times.  Looking back though it only reminds me of how stupid I was.  I like it though. I think it looks pretty sexy but I will one day touch it up with a little more me and much less then. 

My fifth tat was one that I would doodle while on watch in this tiny shack while in the Navy.  There wasn't anything else to do so my thoughts were about swimming away in the ocean like a dolphin and just being free. 

I got that one across my back, shoulder to shoulder with the Seahorses between.  When you look, first they may appear as eyes, then like waves, then you can see the ocean capping over the dolphins. 

My next will be a sleeve.  Money though, ugh!  I plan on getting a Universe with perhaps the Milky Way Galaxy, the Boomerang Nebula, globular clusters, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, and an Eagle.   

I want it to represent my very small place in the world, the love I see in it that is mostly forgotten but also how beautiful it is looking in and above... like laying under the stars and imagining that you are looking down instead of up.  big_smile

6. Diane Inside profile image71
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Thanks y'all for your stories behind the tatoos, very interesting.

7. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

I have a total of five. Some were mistakes and others weren't.

My first tat was the initials of the guy I had been dating for years and was engaged to be married too though that didn't work out neither did the tat because I had it covered with a Caterpillar head to be turned into a complete caterpillar crawling up my foot. The caterpillar is gonna be more a cartoon style with each circle (body part) representing stages in my life.

The second tat I got I did myself of a heart with an arrow through it. It represents the love I tend to have to much of for people and things I come in contact with.

My third is a cross and represents that time in my life when I almost gave up.

My 4th started out as just the number 69 to stand for my star sign of cancer but eventually got turned into a crab with the 69 as the body so still stands for same meaning just more appropriate for m job.

The 5th and final was my one and only I didn't think it through tats of a playboy bunny. I do love the brand but this was not the way to show it. Thankfully it can easily be turned into a flower to represent beauty.

I have plans for more like something to do with dolphins for my love of the creature and a "tramp stamp" of dragons forming the shape of a heart with their tails intertwining together. I don't think tattoos are something that should be regretted because at one point in time it represented the person who got it and it stood for something in that persons life. With that said people who get " tatted up" just for the hell of it might regret a few of them.

Another thing is not doing them yourself or letting someone else do it unless they have a genuine tattoo gun and not some make shift crap.

8. M.s Fowler profile image43
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

Yes I have one jappanesse tatoo on my stomach. It's my zodiac sign and I'm a taurus!

9. White01 profile image58
    White01posted 13 years ago

Yes, I have about 22 tattoos. My husband is my tattoo artist and I think it's just amazing...the quality of work that he can do. I have a back piece of a bride and groom skeleton couple holding hands and kissing. there is a banner with roses that says till death do us part, of course it's dedicated to my husband and our marriage smile

10. FuzzyCookie profile image72
    FuzzyCookieposted 13 years ago

Nah, I like tattoos on other people and they look great but I wont have one for myself. I'd prefer temporary henna tattoos cuz I like the fact that I have a pure clean body big_smile

11. profile image0
    DaMan92posted 13 years ago

no i am afraid that once i get the tattoo i will not like it anymore

12. profile image0
    Michael E. Hortonposted 13 years ago

I have a fishing jig attached to some fishing line, because my girlfriend out fished me a few years back. I got it for good luck. It really has made a difference.lol

13. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I have 12 tattoos and a hub with pictures. I am working on getting a sleeve and I just love them

14. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

this is an idea for my next one. Of course I will change it some to make it mine.
    oh yeah, I have 4. I think they are great. And they all ahve personal reasons, not just "flash"
    http://www.marlamallett.com/E-6993DD-Phoenix_Panel.jpg

15. McConnell Group profile image68
    McConnell Groupposted 13 years ago

I have one on my right shoulder of a a geko with a green stripe down his back,

Right side due to being Right handed,
    Geko for warm weather lover,

He's the only guy who will always have my back big_smile

16. steve-bc-ca profile image75
    steve-bc-caposted 13 years ago

My tattoo's were all done in the heat of the moment, in jail. They all have meaning but they mainly only represent negative stuff, such as gang involvement and prison culture. I'm not proud of these tattoo's but I am especially proud of the changes I've made in my life. These tattoo's just represent where I used to be and where I am today.

17. ross670daw profile image61
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

I have only five tats, the first 2 I did myself using a sowing needle with a match wrapped onto it with cotton. Obviously there was some pain involved, it was an experience back when I was 13, I also had to cover them up with bandaids at times to hide them from my parents, until I was about 16, it was difficult because where I had them was quite visible, I was always asked 'why hadn't those sores healed yet'.
    They don't really have any significance or meaning other than a reminder of a silly childhood.
    It was all the rage amongst our group back then.

18. 4elements profile image64
    4elementsposted 13 years ago

I actually have 6 right now and every single one of them means something to me. i am also working on getting 3-4 more. I love them.it feels good to me.

19. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I don't have any yet, but I'd like to. I should definitely have a Dragon design (my Chinese horoscope), but don't know where to put it ...
    I've been thinking about this for years, so it'll probably never happen smile

20. Sweetsusieg profile image75
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I have a heart on my left breast, well it looked like a heart when I had it done at the age of 18, 5 breast fed kids later... well you get the picture... 

Anyway it was done for a reason, so I'd have a heart that could never be broken.  It might be stretched and out of shape, but it's still not broken.

21. profile image53
    OddyDahBodyposted 13 years ago

I have. Dragon coiled up in my thigh. haha. didn't have much fun when i had it though. had to be pretty wasted when i had it done big_smile it has a special meaning in my life, something im proud of having gotten through...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)