Public Schools for One Gender

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

Hello and good Sunday to all!
    The frigid weather is finally letting up and we will reach 50 degrees today! Woohoo.

Anyway as a former public school teacher I think that the public school format needs an overhaul.
    The local and state education organizations  have tried different programs over the years to improve the achievement scores of students,but it doesn't  seem to be enough.
    Many parents have given up on public education and enrolled their children on private school ,charter schools or home school them .
    What do you think of single sex public schools? Should schools go totally one gender or should schools create  single sex
    classes instead?
    hmm

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

My guess would be that student achievement, while probably having some positive affect by gender separation, has more to do with the class and educational level of the parents. 'Round here the best schools have the most Asians, meaning those households demand high grades of their kids, or so I would think.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I'm against single sex schools because I think for early teens in particular, they foster an unhealthy attitude to the opposite sex.

I went to a co-ed school, where in our early teens we girls generally regarded the boys with disdain - we knew only too well what pimply, uncouth little animals they were!   At the same age, my sister and her friends - who went to a single-sex school - regarded boys as mysterious and attractive.  The girls from the girls' only school would seek out boys and were certainly indulging in sexual activities long before the girls from the co-ed.

Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

These are good points. Educators only want students to achieve more in school by not being attracted or distracted by the opposite sex,I suppose.
      What they do outside is another story.hmm

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well said. To hide a thing means arouse curiosity on it.  Let it be limited to an extent.  When we coexist in a family, why should there be a separate public school for one gender?

4. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Marisa Wright: Excellent point.

5. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

I went to a co-ed school till year 6, then went to a (rather prestigious) boys only high school for two years. After that, my family moved to a new city, interstate, where I again ended up at a co-ed high school. There were pro's and cons to both schools, in my mind.
    Boys only, made us more curious about girls, but gave us somewhat limited experience relating to girls during my teens. It was (much) more challenging meeting (strange) girls.
    Co-ed was better on that front, but rivalries etc came to the surface.
    Eg. I want to ask "so & so" out, but she's dating "him", then the other girl was dating "whoever" etc.
    Better, or worse, one vs the other? Don't know. Horses for courses. I guess it could be beneficial in some circumstances.

Yes, boys are are curious about girls and vice-versa.They do get to associate outside of school at social events hopefully. hmm

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

HOPEFULLY. That's the key word.
        If a boy has a good social network of family and friends, he's ok.
        In my case, because I was a foreign immigrant, with obvious ethinc differences to the culture I was in,made it a little restricted.
        BTW, I am still a normally developed human being. I don't think I suffered adversley from the experience. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's true Stacie - the problem with students from single-sex schools (in my experience) is that because their curiosity isn't satisfied, it builds up to a fever pitch.  Then when they do get a chance to associate with the opposite sex at social events, they really - er - associate.

hahahaha big_smile

6. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Education and learning seems to yield better results if:

(a) Between the ages 0 – 12 years, any education and learning should be done in classes of mixed boys and girls.

(b) Between ages 13 – 18 years, boys and girls should be separated in schools.

(c) Thereafter, any education and learning should be done in classes of mixed gals and guys.

7. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 15 years ago

I think it should be an option.  I have taught in both coed and single-sex schools.  I know for a fact they can be of immense benefit to the majority of girls that attend them.  I don't normally link one of my hubs, but it pertains precisely to the topic.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The_benefits_of … ex_schools

8. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I went to single-sex public schools aged 4 to 18 (3 schools altogether, 2 days schools in London, and one boarding school in the Home Counties) and I think they are, on the whole, a good thing, particularly for girls. My sisters went to the same two day schools, and my brother to Dulwich College and then Westminster.

I have this vague feeling, though, that Americans interpret "public school" differently from here in the UK - by public school, I mean my parents paid for it.

Yes, LondonGirl; you are correct in your interpretation of the "public school" term over here in the states.
      A public school is supported by tax dollars and is open to everyone.There is no charge for attending big_smile.

1. Nickny79 profile image67
        Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is a charge for attending!  It's called my wasted tax money.

9. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Here, those are state schools. Some are still single-sex, and pretty much all schools, state and public / private schools, have uniforms.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)