Believers just don't get?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey folks,

I mean come on people. I have had so many people claim to be praying for me, and I tell them to not waste their effort, but they claim that it doesn't matter what I want and that they will do it anyways.

Now, considering all the times this has been said to me in my life, of over 40 years....a few thousand times

I find it too funny, because what they do, actually has no effect on my life. Therefore, either they have lied and that means that none of them can be trusted or now I have real proof of no god.

So, believers--which is it?

Did you lie?

Or No god!

That's the only way it can be. So, say what you want, it is irrelevant.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cags,
      I guess you're not gonna settle for "god done gone an went an dunnit" then? smile

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What? To make sure that I have no belief in a god.

But, why would a god, if one existed, purposely force someone to have no belief in them of him/it/her or whatever?

More nonsense to go along with the rest of the religious garbage.

Who's sense of humour is missing here cags, yours or mine? smile

I'm tired and should have went to bed already. I guess I am just so sick and tired of people lying to me and when they are caught, they refuse to admit that they lied.

And, the religious claim to be better than the average person. I mean, come on, who is kidding who? hmm

2. profile image0
            RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got the joke....but then again I'm also 3/4 Aussie. Maybe a cultural thing. wink

Yep! Most likely right. smile I am 100% Aussie.smile

1. profile image0

Technically I'm also 100% Aussie but as I spent the first 20 years in Oz and the following 12 in Canada...and I seem to be morphing into a Canuck now (dual citizenship)...even lost my accent....hahahaha

So I figure I've lost about 1/4 of my aussie-ness at this point. tongue

1. profile image0
                  sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in the wrong country. sad  I can work on my accent though so when I finally do make it to Aussie land I will blend right in.

"Goodday mate, here the barbie is churnin shrimp these day?  Had me a me a baday... I mean bad day, sorry chap, missed my raddish in the sack last night.  Fosters been pourin down the chimps potato sack." lol

Was it good?  I need help with my Aussie.  So wish I lived there there though! smile

Stone the bloody crows Sandra! Ya have yer work cut out! lol lol

I have a couple of hubs that could help ya! smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

That's cool, Canadians are a lot like Australians going by the ones I've met here and in Canada. smile

1. profile image0

Yep, pretty close.
                    Canadians just have that super polite thing going on...even I now reflexively say "sorry" to everything...hahahaha

big_smile

P.S. Sorry I hi-jacked this thread and added nothing of value to the actual debate.

2. EatLovePray profile image61
          EatLovePrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, there is a reason why people have believed in god for thousands of years. If nothing good is happening to you, don't blame others for their prayers not working. It doesn't work like that. Maybe your asking for too much, rather than looking at what you do have.

I'm not blaming anyone for my life. I improve my own life. This I know. So, let's not go there.

I'm talking about being lied to?

2. Cagsil profile image70

Yes, you're right there is a reason, because they don't know any better.
            I'm not saying my life isn't good or good things haven't happened in my life. Everything that has happened in my life is through my own effort, not prayers by others.
            I know all about it. Been there, done that.
            I enjoy what I have. I haven't ask for a thing.

1. EatLovePray profile image61

Yes, you're right there is a reason, because they don't know any better.

I like that mentality of yours. Know-it-all..lol..

I'm not saying my life isn't good or good things haven't happened in my life. Everything that has happened in my life is through my own effort, not prayers by others.

Your efforts create who you are. Some people find themselves, but some people are here to create themselves. Self-made. I believe that, and understand what you are saying. However, if you don't believe in "him/her/it"..something tells me you were waiting for a signal. Lol. Otherwise you wouldn't want to see the difference. Who cares if they lied. Everyone is really busy anyways. big_smile

I know all about it. Been there, done that.

O hail Cagsil!! :lmao:

I enjoy what I have. I haven't ask for a thing.

Thank you for lowering the burden on their shoulders! big_smile One less person to think about..lol..

I'm not a know-it-all, and please read my profile. I don't like when people put words into my mouth. I don't claim to know everything.

Waiting for a signal? Please. I don't need a signal. As for who care if they lied? Nice honesty you have. So you must think it's okay to lie to people.
                Sarcasm is the lowest sign of wit. You might want to remember that.
                This makes no sense. The old thing I have to do is make sure I take care of me. My actions in my life, are not only for my benefit, but the benefit of others as well.

1. EatLovePray profile image61

You know what.. I see no scope in your discussion. At all. At a time like this, the smart act would be to just listen..and not speak. In this case..read and not write for me.

Some final words though...

Atheists spend so much time, and energy objecting something that they don't believe even exists! What causes them to do that. Well, for one to help the delusional realize to not wait in the light of hope, and challenge those who do believe in god to convince them otherwise. That last thing..doesn't really happen often.

1. profile image0
                    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I certainly know Cagsil long enough to know he is not an atheist nor any religious or non religious denomination.  He is not a person that relies on something outside of himself for events or direction to sway an outcome.  If you read his hubs, there are people referring to god in the comment section with content that reflects nothing on religion.

We have both been here awhile and it would be rare, or maybe those just arriving, to not know how he feels.  I understand given remarks recently to him about God, why he is frustrated.

I would simply hope, and get, his opening this thread that people now respect how he feels.

If you don't agree with him, cool.  If you want to pray for him, not sure why, but cool.  But if a believer means what they say, then there would be no reason to tell him, and do so privately.

It is not a matter of him disrespecting anyone, simply another request to please not enforce it on him.  He does not welcome or need for it.

And if this seems like he needs a post to speak for him, it's not, but it is a post to say I get it Cagsil and you don't need the crap I have seen being commented to you.

Flip side; you probably won't stop everyone, and need to accept it will happen, I just hope less now.

Cheers.

2. the pink umbrella profile image75
                the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

eatlovepray- your a nasty person come on here only to get the rush of proveing someone wrong. just shut up

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well cagsil, i hope you won't get mad at me for responding your original post, as we've had our differences in the past.  however, as I'll just tell you exactly what i told a few people that i know are atheists in real life about what you just said.  although there is no definitive proof there is a god, but you can't exactly prove otherwise either.  as scientists are already questioning and finding errors in darwin's theory, that may prove otherwise.  however, we'll all find out if there is a god or not when we're both dead.  when we're both dead and buried, we'll both know once and for all...who's right and who was wrong.

Thank you for your input Steven. However, I would like to remind you of one thing?

The Human Consciousness you presently have, when dead is gone. It isn't energy, it isn't matter. When you life runs out and you're dead, that's it.

Your Human Consciousness is the ONLY thing that tells you are alive and aware of your own existence. So, when you're dead...no one, and I mean, no one is going to be able to tell themselves anything.

Just a thought.

1. profile image0

yes, your right about the human consciousness.  however, until you've had first hand experience with this, none of us truly knows what happens after you die.  seriously, anyone who tells you differently is selling you something, as they don't even have solid proof themselves.  just theories.  do you have definitive proof that what your saying about what happens to both of us after we die is even true?  do you?  if so, i would like to know your source. 

in fact, there is a documentary i think you should watch that talks about intelligent design called "no intelligence allowed."  where various scientists are starting to question darwin's theory, as they're finding a lot of holes in his logic.  thus, they're wanting to look into the concept of intelligent design.  however, many of the scientists that are narrow minded, don't even want to discuss it.

Common sense on understanding human consciousness. Being dead means there is no consciousness. None! So, you have no awareness of life, or who you are. Nothing. Don't you get it? hmm
            Steven, if you are looking for patterns, such a "design", even chaos has patterns, when viewed. Designs can be picked out of absolute chaos. But, thank you again for your input.

1. profile image0

i get what your saying, but you still don't have any proof. how do you explain the fact that the human body emits an energy source, and all the other life on the planet doesn't.  how do you explain when you break down the atoms of every living organism on the planet from plants to animals to even us, that all the DNA on the most basic level is the same....EXCEPT us.  how do you explain that?  as i said before, you haven't given me any proof other than opinionated statements along with no source listed. if you had a source like a website, book or whatever i can look at that you learned this from. then your argument would have validation. until then all your giving me is your opinion and nothing more.

as far as the documentary "no intelligence allowed", i was referring to the concept of how scientists like to use darwinism to explain the history of life and how things originated.  where did we come from?  how were we created. all i was saying is scientists are finding evidence that darwin's theory may not be the definitive answer we thought it was for the creation of the universe.  hence, why i recommended you WATCH the documentary, "no intelligence allowed", as it talks about the concept of intelligent design and how it might hold the answers to the creation of our own universe. besides, i know according to your profile and some of your hubs, you like to claim you love learning new things. thus, i thought you'd be appreciative of watching it, as i think you'd enjoy it. sure, you may not agree with it, but i think you should definitely and NEED to watch it.  it's very enlightening.

Of course you body emits an energy source. DUH! The brain function, firing electric impulses throughout your body is what that is.

You're dismissing the consciousness, which is not energy or matter. When brain ceases to function, energy ceases to be made.

1. profile image0

again, you didn't list a source.  plus, it sounds like you don't understand what im telling you.  besides where does that energy come from? 

as far as the conciousness goes, i wasn't dismissing it at all. i was just questioning on where you got your source.  that's all.

I just told you where the energy comes from. The brain.
                    What source? Any science book on human consciousness will tell you. They are all the same with regards to it.

3. Bibowen profile image86
      Bibowenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No effect, except, perhaps, it compels you to start discussions on how it doesn't affect you.

Actually, you're twisting the words to suit your agenda. Nothing new.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It isn't irrelevant to God. 
      Never underestimate the Power of the prayers of Believers who Love your soul.
      But indeed the final decision is up to you and only you.

1. Mitzi Wright profile image61
        Mitzi Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True never underestimate the Power of prayer because it does work, seen it many times.  Indeed the final decisions is up to you but look around and you will see God everywhere.  I don't think that life and the earth just came from nowhere.  God is the only thing that makes sense and when you meet Him (not when your dead but in this life) you will know that He is God and He is all that matters

2. Stimp profile image59
    Stimpposted 13 years ago

Cags, sound like something happened lately that I missed?  At any rate, if that is true, I'm sorry to hear it.  THAT, my friend is the truth.  And I know you didn't ask for it....but you got my empathy.  Am I going get down on my knees and pray for ya....probably not.  But having been through alot of touch sh!t in the last year....I can at least give empathy.  Hope tomorrow is better.

Hey Stimp, lovely to see you and I love your honesty. But, things in my life are fine. I am not complaining about anything. I just find it ironic. Besides, I don't like being lied to by others. That's all.
      Tomorrow will bring me what I want it to bring me and more. wink big_smile But, thank you very much for you empathy, which I really didn't need. But, the thought counts. smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

On a second note Bibowen, I start thread, for other reasons. Try figuring out why?

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Here is an old one that gives a fair look at the lingo Sandra, I have another one, I will look for it. smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Australian-a-mi … t-and-nuts
    Here's the other one. A bit of local knowledge here as well. smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/I-love-Australia

5. profile image0
    RFoxposted 13 years ago

Oh....I just had a light bulb moment!

We should get all the believers and non-believers together and get them drunk on Fosters.

Either they would be telling each other how much they love each other by the end of the night or......

they would actually find out what happens when we die.

(Drinking Fosters, the latter is probably the more likely outcome)

Either way the arguments would stop.

lol tongue

Yep! Fosters would kill a brown dog on a rope! Crown and VB sounds much better!
      The drunk idea may work. They say a drunk speaks a sober man's mind. smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"She'll be right!" smile

Wow Sandra me old china you sure are prepared to go down under eh?

(China or China plate, rhyming slang for mate.)

6. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Cag's where did you go?  sad

7. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

Ok, do you really want an answer?

God doesn't always answer prayers, when we want, or the way we want.  It took a few years of prayers for my husband before he went up to the alter and asked Jesus to come into his heart.

Also, we each have a free will to choose.  Jesus can speak to some ones heart, but if they don't listen, he isn't going to make them.

1. profile image56
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

when Jesus speaks to some one, if they do not know His voice they will not know He is speaking, sounds kinda crazy, but you gotta hear His voice before you can understand that, but sis we understand.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep  we do  Yaul ready for the hurricane ?

1. profile image56
          exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we are not getting anything except a little wind and a little rain, this valley kinda protects us from most of the bad stuff

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59
          stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Remember there are some people in Virginia who thinks your a pretty special fella.
          Have a great day, and remember,
          You are loved.

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it Jerami's birthday??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERAMI !♥

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We sure do.  I love to hear him.  But, when ya hear a voice saying something that ya know is not a thought of your own?  Well, maybe they don't have thoughts that doesn't agree with their own.

No, Jerami .  We are, 5 hours away from the beach.  We aren't suppose to get anything.  We're safe.

Love ya'll!

8. learner.brown profile image57
    learner.brownposted 13 years ago

cagsil, I was a Christian (and pretty hard-core about it) for 8 years, and yes, most are lying. In the Christian world, saying that you will pray for someone is just something you say to comfort others, to let them know that you care. They were probably taken off guard when you called them on it or told them not too. Instead of saying, "Fine,  I won't pray for you." They insisted that they would, and probably did not. Most Christians do not have a strong prayer life, despite what they want you to think.

But they'll tell you that God did answer your prayers, just not the way they wanted to. Or it is possible that the Christians that did pray prayed against your wishes because they thought it would be better for you to go through some trial or something in order for you to seek God.

Anyway, I'm not a Christian anymore, but I don't think that saying that god is not answering prayers is actual evidence that god does not exist. It may be evidence that those who claim to follow god are seriously misguided, though.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not particularly a Christian, but I do pray for others on a daily basis.  I don't tell people I pray for them, I just do... mostly while driving to work in the morning. People think I'm on the phone but I'm actually talking to myself.... roll

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

The obsurdiy of this question is it's own answer, Im not even a practicing christian and I can say without a dought that your question is simplistic in delivery. Why would you be so nacisistic in thinking prayer can be  about you? Most people pray for strength in faith, or to the religious ideals of hope , good thoughts of others or even guidance , but they don't pray for you to get a new car or a promotion at work , how did you find out it didn't work , did you get laid off , or lose your house? So you don't "believe ", they havent got to prove anything to you. sounds like  you are the one who "don't get it  ".

10. hanging out profile image59
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

perhaps all those people did pray for you in their way BUT not knowing what gods will is for you, they prayed a miss. It is common for people to pray that the ungodly get saved and it is gods wish that all be saved, yet, if the person refuses to be saved, gods hands are tied. When it comes to salvation, God cannot exert his will or power to shove a person to his preference. We get what we get because we set ourselves up to get just that.
    What if god tried to gently persuade you to his side and you refused? Lets say you are a compass which has free will to point north if you want to, and you do not, yet God, pulled you till you pointed north. Your free will and ability to (refuse him or accept him) point north would be taken away.
        James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss,
                that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Often peoples flesh makes them want to make you holy, just to get you out of their way, but maybe you are a judas or a particular kind of sandpaper to his children to rub some corners round.
    All my questions are answered, are yours?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)