A feel good moment!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

This story was in my e-mail box, sent to me by a friend. It kind of hit me in my soft spot. Thought I would share it with you here too.

Breakfast at McDonald's

This is a good story and is true, please read it all the way through until the end! (After the story, there are some very interesting facts!):
    I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college  degree.
    The last  class I had to take was Sociology.
    The teacher  was absolutely inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human  being had been graced with.
    Her last  project of the term was called, 'Smile.'
    The class was  asked to go out and smile at three people and document their  reactions.
    I am a very  friendly person and always smile at everyone and say hello anyway. So, I  thought this would be a piece of cake,
    Literally.
    Soon after we  were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son, and I went out to  McDonald's one crisp March morning.
    It was just  our way of sharing special playtime with our son.
    We were  standing in line, waiting to be served, when all of a sudden everyone  around us began to back away, and then even my  husband did.
    I did not  move an inch... An overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside of me  as I turned to see why they had moved.
    As I turned  around I smelled a horrible 'dirty body' smell, and there standing  behind me were two poor homeless men.
    As I looked  down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was  'smiling'
    His beautiful  sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he searched for  acceptance.
    He said,  'Good day' as he counted the few coins he had been  clutching.
    The second  man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I realized the  second man was mentally challenged and the blue-eyed gentleman was his  salvation.
    I held my tears as I stood there  with them.
    The young lady at the counter  asked him what they wanted.
    He said, 'Coffee is all Miss'  because that was all they could afford. (If they wanted to sit in the  restaurant and warm up, they had to buy something. He just wanted to be  warm).
    Then I really felt it - the  compulsion was so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man  with the blue eyes.
    That is when I noticed all eyes in the Restaurant were set on me, judging my every action.
    I smiled and asked the young lady  behind the counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a separate  tray.
    I then walked around the corner to  the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put the tray on  the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold  hand.
    He looked up at me, with tears in  his eyes, and said, 'Thank you.'
    I leaned over, began to pat his  hand and said, 'I did not do this for you. God is here working through  me to give you hope.'
    I started to cry as I walked away  to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and  said, 'That is why God gave you to me, Honey, to give me  hope..'
    We held hands for a moment and at  that time, we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given  were we able to give.
    We are not church goers, but we  are believers.
    That day showed me the pure Light  of God's sweet love.
    I returned to college, on the last  evening of class, with this story in hand.
    I turned in 'my project' and the  instructor read it.
    Then she looked up at me and said,  'Can I share this?'
    I slowly nodded as she got the  attention of the class.
    She began to read and that is when  I knew that we as human beings and being part of God share this need to  heal people and to be healed.
    In my own way I had touched the  people at McDonald's, my son,the instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent as a  college student.
    I graduated with one of the  biggest lessons I would ever learn:
    UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.

Much love and compassion is sent to each and every person who may read this and learn how to
    LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -

NOT LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

2. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

I shamelessly brought this back to the top. There is so much misery out there a little  feel good read can't hurt any of us from time to time.

3. SarahsHubCents profile image61
    SarahsHubCentsposted 15 years ago

I really enjoyed this story thank you.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

Those heartwarming stories come into our lives when we really need them, don't they? I have tears in my eyes reading it. Of course not all encounters with humanity are this poignant, but it sure is nice when they are! Thank you for this gift today, Zsuzsybee! MM

5. ajcor profile image60
    ajcorposted 15 years ago

Thank you Szusybee - a really beautiful ripplemaking story - thanks

6. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

Hi Zsuzsy bee, yes, it is good to be reminded so often.  It brings out the best in us somehow. Hugs... smile

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Beautiful story and thank you for sharing. Reminds me of this homeless guy I use to give coins to about once a week. Again, thank you. smile made me cry too.

8. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

I'm over at the Soup-Kitchen helping every Monday and until the day comes that places like that are not needed anymore for the homeless and the poor I think we all need to be reminded of how good our lives really are and share some of our wealth...either in time or money.

9. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I read this a few months ago, I got it in an email, and it made me cry. Yep, I am a softy.  I love touching stories like this!!  Thank you for sharing it!!

10. laringo profile image60
    laringoposted 15 years ago

A wonderful story to remind us all that showing compassion for those less fortunate is very rewarding in itself. Often in society, rejection is often the response when we encounter someone homeless or with there hand out. We don't know what circumstances that lead to there plight,especially with able-bodied people just out to scam us. What I try to do is be the bigger person and don't judge, but take a situation at face value and move on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)