Can Holy Mary visit and move about freely in Italy?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image48
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Can Holy Mary visit and move about freely in Italy in her dresses she was used to wear as we see her depicted in the Catholic Churches?

I think perhaps the new laws when enacted won’t allow her.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.. good question... not sure about that, but if she moves to Saudi Arabia she would be welcome to wear a black sheet covering her from face to toe, and then marry a man who has 200 to 300 other wives.

2. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you explain what you mean as you have lost me on the meaning of this. Are you saying Italy is making a ruling against wearing a long dress and covering your head/hair?

That would not make sense as the nuns in Italy dressed like this for many years.

If you go to visit the Vatican as a tourist you are not allowed in with your shoulders/knees uncovered. If I visit a church in Italy to look at the art work inside I always cover my shoulders out of respect for the countries religious traditions.

1. profile image48
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know;but is it bad for an ordinary woman to attire like the Holy Mary did?

Why should not every woman/girl dress like Mary?

what do you mean 'is it bad'?

And why would any woman want to wear 2000 year old fashions?
          Do we use the same type of bathrooms they did 2000 years ago? 
          Do we use the same means of transportation?

1. profile image0
            klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I still go to work on a donkey. hmm

1. profile image48

Jesus also rode a donkey.

2. Greek One profile image64

it's OK, my former girlfriends told me they dated a jackass

1. profile image0

surely they weren't referring to you.

I think they were, and don't call me Shirley... i haven't been known by that name since my stint with the Rockettes

1. profile image0

Aw! roll

Because Mary dressed the way she did because the women of her time and country dressed in that way.

There are women of other religions who live in Italy who cover themselves completely - but I think I for one would faint from the heat if forced to travel dressed like that.

Italy has many different ethnic groups living there and they all seem to (appear to) be able to follow their own cultures.

I am not expert on this - just how it appears to me from short visit to the country.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
            schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some Catholics or people like to dress modestly, wearing a dress covering their knees and sleeves down to elbow, and neckline not more than 2 inches below collar bone.
            But either way it's a personal choice really.
            It's good we're not forced to -at least not in USA- to wear it cause like
            2uesday, I may be bothered with the heat

1. profile image48

USA is a free country; if someone wants to wear dresses as has been described by you above; at least one should not be bothered. Why violate personal freedom?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

um, yeah , i think- it's a personal choice either way

2. profile image48

I know many Christians narrate their dreams of Mary visiting them; all describe Mary like I see in the Catholic Church; none describes her in the dresses like woman wear in the West.

Jerusalem was a hot place you know.

I am not forcing anything on you; just a food for thought.

what's your point?

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

sure, it's better to be modest but w/ a reality check, you can't go around like Mary did as someone else stated, it's a different culture now.
              The girls in India, I believe wear very attractive, and feminine modest clothing.

enough with the exact outfit as Mary. Have you lost your mind??!!

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you not see that having an opinion on what some one else should be doing is why Islam causes so much hatred and wars?

1. hanging out profile image60
            hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

is that your opinion?  lol

oh, ribbit
            smile

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

St. Louis de Montfort believed that Mary had authority over the angels as a reward for her great humility on earth. And so because of this God gave "her the power and the mission of assigning to men the thrones made vacant by the fallen angels." God, therefore, as St. Louis goes on to explain, "made Mary queen of heaven and earth, the leader of his armies, the keeper of his treasury, the dispenser of his graces, the worker of his wonders, the destroyer of his enemies and the faithful associate in his great works and victories."  For more on this visit Mary.

4. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The laws in Italy and France relate to covering of the face (Italy) and the entire body including the face (France) in public. In that respect the figure of Mary as depicted in traditional images would not violate either law.

However in either country if a nun in full habit covered her face in any way she would be liable to be stopped in the street and fined. Moreover, some nuns in both France and Italy live in 'enclosures' which are convents that have no contact with the outside world. They not only have to cover their entire bodies by wearing a habit, they are also not allowed to leave the enclosure. There has been no call for laws banning this practice, which gives the lie to suggestions it is about the 'emancipation' of women.

Both laws violate both the European Charter of Human Rights and the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which state not only that freedom of thought and religious belief are human rights but also that a person has the right 'to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.'

Neither of these laws would stand up to a legal challenge in the European Court of Human Rights. Indeed the French Conseil d'Etat (Counsel of State) advised the French government that the law "could not benefit from any irrefutable legal basis", i.e. would not stand if challenged. Amnesty International have also criticised the law stating it "violates the rights to freedom of expression and religion of women." It is only a matter of time before these laws are challenged as violations of human rights. The sooner the better in my opinion.

1. profile image48

Hi friend Don W

Your post gives me a lot of satisfaction; we Muslim love Mary and give her deeds much value, so i was shocked with the decisions of the European contries; though we cooperate with the states we live in.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. profile image48

I hightlight the above point.

2. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

lol... everyone knows that Holy Mary can visit anywhere - she is in spirti! gee! lol

3. profile image48

Can Holy Mary visit and move about freely in Italy?

Paar.. SHE IS DEAD

1. profile image48

I know that she accompanied Jesus while they migrated from Judea to India. Mary died and is buried at Murre, a hilly resort, near Islamabad, Pakistan.

I was taking supposedly as per the Christians.

1. profile image48

Are you ignorant, or trying to make some mysterious point!!

1. skipper112 profile image60
        skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirlfor real,
        yes paar is just trying to make trouble, paar is ingorant. It is the Burka ( full face cover ) that has been banned. Like paar even stated he understood the Quran better thah his own Massiah, paar even states Jesus and Mary went to India.
        And paar 'knows' Jesus and Mary went to India,and Mainstream Islam is wrong as only paar has a reasonable understanding of the Quran, but I must say paar cannot prove anything paar states as fact.
        yes schoolgirlforreal you are right paar is just ignorant, and a trouble maker.
        God bless

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

That means nothing! I have been dead many times and as you all can see, I'm still typing!

ok.. then tell us.. what are you wearing wink

1. profile image0

Don't make me blush now. smile You know what I wear on Friday nights! lol

nope.. i don't.. better send pictures to confirm you are inline with the latest religious trends

1. profile image0

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/Leah1974/nunatcomputer.jpg

Will you believe me now?

sadly, yes sad

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
              dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sooo...by this picture can we say you can not kick the habbit!

you guys are funy wink

5. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

probably is a lot more difficult for her now that Italy is overrun with tourists and there are long lines for everything and huge traffic jams!

1. profile image0

Donkeys come very handy!

2. profile image48

You mean Jesus and Mary would be denied entry to Italy? They have lost relevance to the present day Italy?They would be total strangers to Italy due to their Jewish creeds and appearace, perhaps.

1. profile image0

paarsurrey, don't take this out of context please. We are just having fun... letting our imagination run wild. You must try it sometime. It's very liberating!

2. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

whatever!

3. skipper112 profile image60

no paar Jesus and Mary would not be banned from Italy, and you are as usual MISSINFORMED as you usualy are.

4. pisean282311 profile image61
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@paar if mary and jesus would have born today , we would have seen them wearing what people wear too...your idea doesnot make sense at all...dress is not something frozen in time...people wear as per current trend...

6. profile image48

Woman who would wear dresses like Mary won't be allowed to move about freely; that would be very sad.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe women can move about more freely dressed in a Burka. smile

http://synergistic.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ishr-burka.jpg

ty beal for this photo, this just proves my point are you sure that this person is a woman, how can you identify this person if you see ( him or her) commit a crime?

This is simply not accurate - people from all over the world visit Italy and some who live there continue to dress in their own ethnic style - they wear what they want too.

When i last wentto Italy (this summer) ladies were wearing beautiful saries, African ladies were wearing brightly coloured embroidered dresses and people whose religion demanded they cover up were also wearing the required garments.

You wear what you want in Italy except when they visit the vatican then tourists must observe modesty dress clothes.

France has/or maybe ruling out some religious headware styles but I do not think Italy has.

3. skipper112 profile image60

again get your facts right paar, you are not telling the truth

7. profile image48

Mary was a pious lady; she should be welcomed in the East and the West.

hello paar wake up Mary never wore the full Burqua, so what is your point that is if you have one. Only the FULL BURQUA has been banned ( full face cover) whivk Mary NEVER WORE, so what is your point paar?????

8. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

The full burqua is now illegal in both France and Italy. Just another step - like this insidious inacurate attack is - in the upcoming religious war that seems inevitable - unless we can educate people in a hurry. sad

1. 2uesday profile image65

I am sorry I am wrong on this I have just read a newspaper report on-line of a woman being fined for wearing this - the full burqua she will have to remain in the house now her husband says in the report.

Sorry my mistake - I thought it was just in France.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are talking about it in Holland and the UK as well. There are a lot of aggressive Christians in Holland and both the Muslims and the Christians have forced this issue into law.

The Muslims so they can claim persecution and the Christians to show they still have more political clout than the Muslims.

I - as usual am sitting here wondering WTF people are thinking and depressed at my inability to get my opinion heard.

Seriously - making an item of clothing illegal? Good grief! But - the Muslims were pushing it and the Katholics flexed their muscle.

Peace loving religions all. sad

Mark Knowles to anwser you.
          ,If a person must remove a full face motor cycle helmet, when going into a shop or bank ( in australia) so you can see their face, why can Muslims cover their face and in extream cases have like rope ot heavy cord over their eyes.
          1st point is how do you know it is a woman.?
          2nd point if I can't see your face how can I identify you if you do something wrong.
          3rd point if you are involved in a traffic accident  and there are 3 people in full Burqua's and they get out and walk around , who was the driver.?

I do not think the full Burqua is an  apporaite way to dress in a wastern type country  you can be dressed modestly without the full Burqua( the Quran says woman should dress modestly. PERIOD) so if you wish to wear the full Burqua do so at home , and do not go out. old saying' when in Rome do as the Romans do'
          I belive the main complaint about wearing the full Burqua is bassed on identifying a person. It has nothing to do with religon.This is not a attack on Islam. Also if you do not like it, go to a Muslim country were you can wear the full Burqua , also do not foget Islam wants to convert  the whole world to Sharia Law.
          To me banning the FULL Burqua is a reasonable request.
          What do you think.
          God bless

9. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I don't get your point

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Why do  you ask a question about a dead person?- or who is not on earth? Hello?

11. profile image48

So Holy Mary would be barred from entering Vatican,Italy,UK and Holland etc.

What would be done of the people of these countries see Holy Mary in dreams in the same clothes; covered from head to toe?

Any idea

HELLO paar here you go again, Mary never wore full fave coverm so you have as usual NO POINT

12. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

From previous posts we have established that if  Mary were a living person she would be allowed to visit the Vatican as long as she covered her knees, shoulders etc. and was not wearing an item of clothing that was illegal in Italy.

Plus she would probably have to be security checked before entering - which could involve a 'magic security wand' and being passed over her body and handbag or maybe even the sort of body check you get at air-ports.

See this is too silly for me to continue - ciao.

13. profile image48

Woman who wear dresses like Mary won't be allowed to move about freely; that would be very sad.

paar are you just stupid or a trouble maker, Mary never wore a full face cover, so as usual you have NO POINT

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

someone here wants to die stupid

1. profile image48

Why not die with a little more wisdom?

paar go back to school Mary did not wear a full face cover like the Burka, Mary dressed according to the dress standards of the day. Mary could walk freely in Italy, and you know that so stop trying to make trouble. It is the Burka that has been banned full face cover has beed banned, so as usual paar only trys to cause trouble with paars uniformed  quotes.

15. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

Mary is dead and buried in the ground like every other human being THAT HAS DIED.
    She is not living in heaven nor did God listen to the pope when catholicism said she was EVEN MORE SPECIAL THAN JESUS.
    Yes she was numbered among the disciples, not of the 12 but of the group of people that was learned in the way of Jesus.
    Mary has no special authority, she does not sit on the right hand of God that is Jesus' place.
    Mark 16:19   So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
    Luke 22:69   Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.

hanging out as a Catholic I agree Mary never was and never will be more special than Jesus. As a catholic I pray to Jusus Christ, that is why my prayers end in AMEN not AMARY.

16. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

if she was to do it, she'd be a spook. Sooooo, no problems.

17. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Speechless, absolutely speechless!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)