Have you ever been prejudged when you went to buy something by the way you were

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image76
    Charluposted 11 years ago

Have you ever been prejudged when you went to buy something by the way you were dressed?

Have you ever stopped by a store or car dealership for a significant purchase and been prejudged by the way you were dressed or the car you were driving?  Maybe it was an unexpected stop after working in the garden or a rough day at work, or maybe your like me and cut offs, a t-shirt, and comfy sneakers are the norm.
    Has someone ever ignored you or talked down to you by the way you were dressed?  If so would you mind sharing?

2. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 11 years ago

All the time. Haha!! I have fun with it though. I like seeing the different reactions out of people when they assume things and I am able to break through stereo-types.

Judging someone by the way they are dressed is a very narrow way of profiling and not very efficient in my opinion.

My best experience of being judged by how I was dressed was when I was in France, two summers ago. I was wearing track-pants (like jogging pants) going from Paris to a smaller city to meet extended family there and when I arrived at the train station I was pulled to the side by my brother-in-law who is French and who gave me a short speech about track-pants. He said that in France only "ghetto little kids wear track-pants". Those were his exact words. I was stunned ... what's wrong with jogging pants? They're comfortable ... I was traveling in a train for hours ... I didn't really "get it".
    When I took a minute to think about it, I did realize that I had seen nobody in Paris wearing jogging pants ... weird people. Haha ... ohh well.

Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is weird and your right they're so comfy. I wonder what they would think about senior citizens wearing them????

3. Deborah Brooks profile image59
    Deborah Brooksposted 11 years ago

LOL.. Yes it has happened to me.. they ignore me till i pull my credit card out or what ever.. Or I find someone else to help me and give them all the credit ...Yes I agree just have fun with it,.. you cant get mad.. If you laugh about it It makes them look foolish..

4. TheRightWord profile image78
    TheRightWordposted 11 years ago

I was actually ignored at a certain "upscale" auto dealership. Their loss, I could have written a check for a car that day. My gain, I ended up doing a lot more research and getting a better vehicle. There have also been times when I wore "grubby" work clothes to a store and was totally ignored, but went to the same store dressed in business clothes and got all the attention I didn't want.

Like Mr. Happy says, have fun with it! I enjoy knowing and being comfortable with who I am. It is somewhat ironic when others judge based on what they think they see.

5. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Not to me, because I don't shop much, and try to dress to go out. But I've got a great story from a friend in NYC, many years ago.

She was a young, attractive woman (I'm not being sexist, this is key to the story), dressed in an eye-catching way.

She went into 47th Street Photo in New York City to buy some computer software. Back then, 47th Street Photo was the place to go, and it was run by Orthodox Jews, who are taught not to look at attractive women. She waited over 20 minutes and got no service! When she yelled for help, they ignored her even harder!

We tested to make sure this was the problem. We sent another woman from the team to buy something. She was very conservative, and wore an ankle-length dress with a closed neck. Sure enough, she got great service, no problem!

1. Mr. Happy profile image69
      Mr. Happyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha ... I can imagine the religious and spiritual men hiding behind the counter not wanting to fall into temptation ... hard work. I say that as one who has been practicing celibacy and abstinence for over a decade ...

2. Charlu profile image76

That is hilarious, but those poor men:))

6. cebutouristspot profile image76
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

Yes. Always amm a type of person who dont wear any jewelry, dress in common clothes, wear slippers most of the time smile  i dont even wear a watch.

I own these item (I also have shoes) but I just dont like wearing them.

Often time when I go in a store the clerk/sales lady will entertain me last sad I think it is because the way I dress.

But to those that have serve me or store that I have made purchase they entertain me right away because they already knows me.  Specially restaurant crew smile

7. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

No not really. If it were to happen, it is fine. This is a free country and people have a right to their opinions, to voice them or not.

8. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Yes, 1966  in Cornwall, camping, I was with this girl and we had got a meths stove for cooking, went into the local chemist for some meths, both of us in our full hippy gear of kaftans, sandals, bells and beads, hair down to our waists, the chemist looked out of his cubby hole, took one look at us and said he didn't have any, though bottles of the stuff were in plain sight, 'ordered', he said.  We got some from the local Woolworths.

9. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 11 years ago

Probably - but unless they said to me "I can tell by your cloths you are  _____ " I wouldn't have a clue if anyone was troubled or delighted with what I'm wearing . . . I don't consider others by what they're wearing or not wearing and I never give two thoughts about what I should or shouldn't wear. So, I walk around town in sweatpants and slippers and oblivious to 'propriety'.

10. lafamillia profile image61
    lafamilliaposted 11 years ago

No, to be honest - but, I've been prejudged because I sweat, because of methadone. I don't know, but You can imagine me(a person) sitting in front of bank-council and sweat is just leaking of me (him) smile)) He is not suspicious at all, huh ? smile))) It makes me so embarrassed... :S

11. Etherealenigma profile image68
    Etherealenigmaposted 11 years ago

Yeah. Several years ago, I went into this snooty store, appropriately called, "A Nose For Clothes." I had just received a settlement from my employer on a case I had won against them. I could have bought out the store. However, the woman in the store took one look at me in my casual clothes, and gave this look of disdain, and wrote me off. She could barely acknowledge my presence. The store had beautiful, expensive clothes, and I was going to purchase, but her attitude rubbed me the wrong way, and I walked out with my wallet intact.

12. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 11 years ago

I wandered into a clothes shop yesterday, wearing jeans and t-shirt and started to look around. Normally sales assistants fall over themselves to ask if you need any help and tell you what would look good on you. The lady in the shop, who was busy tidying clothes rails, peered over her glasses at me, looked me up and down as if to say "you can't afford anything in this shop, dear", then turned her back on me and continued with what she was doing. I thought she was very rude, but she was right - it was a very expensive shop!

That is just so crazy and in sales a huge "no no" where I use to work. Prejudging people is like biting off the arm that feeds you if your in sales.

13. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

I didn't happen to me exactly, but I was told every detail!
    My high school French class and language club went to Paris on a trip about two years ago. We went to all the typical tourist sites and famous spots, including Champs-Elysees (which is like the 5th Avenue of Paris).

Two boys from our group decided to go into the Louis Vuitton store, just for bragging rights that they had been in there (I stayed far from the place - Probably couldn't afford to even look at the products! haha!) and they were wearing jeans, sneakers and the school tour's hoodie (blue and with the school crest). They said that as soon as they went in, all of the staff stopped talking and was staring at them - like 'How dare you come in here?'. One woman came up to them asking if they wanted any help, but they said that from her tone of voice and the way she was looking at them, it was like she was thinking "You know you don't belong in here."

Wow I guess it happens everywhere. What those clerks don't realize is those kids could have had parents that were billionaires or grown up to be one themselves.
      That's one thing that really bothers me I guess because it's happened to me.

14. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 11 years ago

Oh yes, all the time. And since I have a foreign accent it gets worse when they hear me speaking.
    ahah, poor fellows. At the beginning I though it was just full of rude people, but then I went back to some places when i was not dressed from gardening or doing housework and I could definitely see the difference.
    Good thing I don't care. Well, if I cared I do have the nice things to wear, it's just that I don't always change to go out.

15. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

It used to be not unusual for an upscale restaurant to require gentlemen to wear a coat and tie. I heard a story about Johnny Carson  being asked to wear a tie to be served in a certain establishment-- He came back with a tie, but no shoes or socks.

That's pretty funny about Johnny Carson and sounds like something he would do.

16. T. R. Brown profile image59
    T. R. Brownposted 11 years ago

Yes,

I am very informal when I am away from work.  I have to wear a suit every day, so it's flip flops and t-shirts when I am not there.  When I bought my last car I wrote a check and the car salesman was visibly stunned.  He actually went speechless for a couple of seconds.  Another time, I was on a personal trip and went to the airline club (I won't say which airline); presented my membership card and the hostess actually asked me if I was me.  I normally don't let that stuff bother me, but for some reason that one p*ssed my off pretty badly.  When she saw my reaction, she backtracked pretty quickly.

17. Man from Modesto profile image79
    Man from Modestoposted 11 years ago

No. But, once, in Carmel, CA, a fellow Marine took me with him into a shop to purchase a nice gift form his mother. The owner followed us around the store. I thought he wanted to be of assistance. My friend thought he viewed us as shoplifters. My friend was correct.

That owner lost a nice sale. My friend really loves his mom.

18. alphagirl profile image77
    alphagirlposted 11 years ago

Yes. I think you can be different skin color, different ethnicity and be judged. I have worked with the public long enough to know that the person with the ripped jeans may pay for everything in cash. Infact if they are truly wealthy they do not advertise with fancy jewels and clothing.

I was in a car dealership looking at cars and the salesmen spoke to me like I was stupid. I knew exactly what i wanted. I did not like the rattling of the car when I test drove. They made up all kinds of dumb answers. I was so insulted when they said,"When will you husband be in to speak to me?"

I made a car purchase from a different dealer and purchased from a woman. I did not have torn jeans, I was a woman. Women are better consumers. Women are not all dumb when it comes to cars. Women are capable of earning and paying a for a vehicle.

19. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

When my daughter was a teenager she went into a local shop. She had money to spend and was looking for something to buy. The shopkeeper followed her around like she expected her to steal something and wouldn't allow her to unfold anything to look at it. Needless to say, she left empty-handed with her money still in her pocket. My daughter always dressed well, apparently the assumption was all based on her age.

20. sarahmoose profile image65
    sarahmooseposted 11 years ago

I have had a couple of instances where this has happened. The first was when I was in a shop with my daughter, and I looked very scruffy after a rough night with a new baby. However, I was looking for a dress for a family wedding, and when I asked for some help from an assistant, she asked if I honestly thought I could afford any of their products. I took her name, walked out of the store and bought something elsewhere, and then complained about her. The second time was when I was going to a supermarket, and because it was cold I had borrowed my husbands hoodie. An old lady had the cheek to tell the security guard I was being a nuisance and should be thrown out of the store. All I had done was walk in the door, and removed my hood! Absolutely ridiculous!

21. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

this question is so ironic. two weeks ago my wife and i decided to go look at a few cars to buy. we want something nice and were not buying anything cheap. i rarely dress nice and my wife loves jeans and t-shirts , so that how we went out. at a dealer for more expensive cars, the salesman acted like we couldn't afford the cars he was selling. you should have saw the look on his face when my wife told him that because he was so arrogant she would call the owner and then she gave him one of my business cards and he realized his mistake. it was awesome.

That is so cool and I'll bet he thought about the commission he missed out on for days. Great story and thanks for sharing

22. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Yes.
    On weekends I wear jeans, that was when I was working, now I wear jeans most every day. However, when shopping for gifts in a jewelry store or a gift store that carries various lines of merchandise, I have been ignored and questioned repeatedly--that was years ago.

I have also attempted to buy clothes for my wife, and when seeking help, usually in trying to understand the methodology of women's clothes sizes, the sales people do not want to bother me and it seems that any women shoppers in the department resent by presence. I do not hang around the dressing rooms.

23. bernard.sinai profile image78
    bernard.sinaiposted 11 years ago

I was once stopped from entering a décor store because I was wearing slippers and shorts. The security guard manning the door stopped me and said “…the place is for high class people.”

Naturally, I was offended but I decided to turn and walk away.

I have never been to that store since and I hope I never will.

Wow that is so crazy and who is he to decide who is "high class". Well it was their loss:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)