Help! Please!!!! Buying for the men/boys in your life!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. lav-senior profile image61
    lav-seniorposted 13 years ago

My dad is one of those men in their fifties that regardless of whether he gets a five-pack of socks or a hot-air balloon ride, he has the same reaction; "That's grand, thanks very much for that now."

Despite the fact that I've been his proud daughter for 24 years, I am yet to figure out 'That's what daddy would love!' He's interested in books, gardening, wine, France, history and the usual things men in their fifties are interested in. Despite these interests, I still have never managed to find him the perfect gift, any ideas?

My second dilemma concerns my brother-in-law. We're quite close as sister/brother-in-laws go and I need to give him a pretty decent pressie. The problem is he's the same as daddy, every present is accepted with equal excitement. He's 28 and interested in sports and movies. Help. Please ladies and gents! I'm out on a limb here!!!!

1. boxxies profile image61
      boxxiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you dad loves wine and France why not get him the most expensive French wine that you can afford?

Marie

2. gr82bme profile image60
      gr82bmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you could get your dad a wine making kit and a book on wine making. I make my own and it is fun

3. gr82bme profile image60
      gr82bmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As for your brother-in-law, get him a jersey of his favorite team or tickets to a game.

4. Rismayanti profile image48
      Rismayantiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you can check some idea in my hub may it will help for idea source and simply find the perfect gift

5. americanwriter profile image59
      americanwriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its just like Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz. You have the answer already--you know what your dad likes wine, France, etc. Pair a beautiful pictorial calendar with dreamy pictures of France or wine country or wine making or other things he enjoys with handsome wine stopper or a sumptuously photographed book with travel destinations and dreamy or adventurous things.  Put that into the gift like others have suggested personalize your gift too with a handwritten note that says you love them and you searched for the perfect gift and you realize the perfect gift is myth you just can't put it all in a single thing its a lifetime of gifts and a lifetime of love... this upcoming gift is just a symbol you could spend a million dollars on a gift and it wouldn't mean any more than your love for that person. There many great ideas for gifts for men on hub pages.

6. mirage erin profile image73
      mirage erinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i actually wrote a hub about surprise gift ideas! check it out and good luck!!!

7. carrie450 profile image59
      carrie450posted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about a movie night basket you can make yourself?

8. Jon Green profile image85
      Jon Greenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about a guitar? It's nice to develop a new interest, and lots of my guitar students have started in their 40s and 50s.

9. rogermac profile image75
      rogermacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That seems tough. I have a post about Original unusual Ideas. Why don't you take a look, here's the link:

Gift Ideas for People who have everything

Who knows, maybe you'll find a great idea there. Good luck with that. big_smile

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!  I see you're rather new.  You can try clicking on "Hubs" at the top of this page in the black area and then put in "gift ideas for men" in the search box.  You'll find lots of hubs with ideas that might help you. I personally have several hubs myself dedicated to gift ideas for men (and women).  I have several stocking stuffer idea hubs and one on gadgets for men.

3. vgf1968 profile image60
    vgf1968posted 13 years ago

I make most of my gifts.  I know that most of the men in my life are more impressed by the effort of making something for them, than by purchasing something for them.  At least that has been my experience.

4. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

How about food?  Have made gift baskets with favorite munchies, and or homemade baked goods.  A nice coffee cup, even personalized!  Coffee creamers, hot chocolate, hot cider, and/or tea?  The men who have received these elegant gift baskets filled with such goodies...their eyes get big, and accept the gift with much gratitude!  Usually they will not open it in front of others, because they do not want to share:)  Hope you find the right gift, that knocks his socks off!

5. Karen N profile image69
    Karen Nposted 13 years ago

That sounds like my dad. smile
    My sisters and I always bought him socks every year because we could never figure out what he wanted. Someone below suggested food and I've found that food is always a good way to a man's heart.  Many of us, myself included have already written hubs on finding presents for the people in your life and I'm sure that if you check around a little you'll find something to help you out.

Good luck and welcome to Hubpages!

6. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

well even i react is same way when eve i get any gift...for me ideal gift is something which can be of usage in day to day life and would endure..for e.g. i love to have books as gift..for movies dvds are fine..something which can come handy and endure..

7. rihamah profile image61
    rihamahposted 13 years ago

for your brother in law if he is a movie fan and a Harry Potter fan the new movie "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows" was just released and if he's a fan you might get him the new movie DVD or even the book or any other Harry Potter related item.
    just search HubPages for the term "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows gift ideas" and you will find plenty of things.

8. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Spoon Sisters has some really great gift ideas and even has helpful categories like 'men', 'office', 'travel', 'books', 'under $10' and so forth.  There's a terrific selection of gifts from unique to funny and lots of cool gadgets, too.

We set a $10 max amongst the adults in our family this year and I bought gifts for almost everyone at Spoon Sisters.

Good luck!

9. thelasthonestguy profile image60
    thelasthonestguyposted 13 years ago

I have just the perfect list of presents for both your dad and your brother in-law.

It's called "13 Gift Ideas for Men this Christmas"

Check them out here: <snipped link>

10. Flightkeeper profile image64
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Here are my suggestions:

For your Dad: A History of the English Speaking Peoples by Winston S Churchill or The Second World War (Six Volume Boxed Set) by Winston Churchill and John Keegan.

For your Bro-in-Law: If he likes soccer, get him a nice hoodie or jacket of his favorite team.

11. motherbeastly profile image60
    motherbeastlyposted 13 years ago

I don't know where you are but you could perhaps buy both of them membership of the wine society for a year.  Or choose one of their wine cases which range in prices.  I did this for my father and brothers a few years ago and they were delighted with them.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful Christmas and I am sure they will be delighted with whatever you get them because you have really thought about them.

12. ThoughtfulSpot profile image68
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

I wrote a hub about this because I have the same problem every year w/ my husband, my dad, my Father in law, my brother in law... lol  Just about all the men in my life except my 2 little boys.

(Don't want to "self-promote", but check it out if you want to under my profile - or do what KC suggested and just search in the search bar above - I'm sure many wonderful hubbers have many wonderful ideas!)

In general, I find the best gifts aren't the big, "impressive" ones.  I try to take note of the little things my men mention in passing over the year.  (Like if we're shopping and they pick something up and fumble with it and look as though they might buy it, but then put it down because its "too much" or they "don't need it."  Or if we're talking and he says "I've always wanted to do that...")  A lot of times guys just won't spend the money on themselves - especially practical ones like your Dad seems to be.  But, they'll be thrilled if someone else does it for them - and also touched that someone paid attention that much.

Maybe try listening to the small things he mentioned, instead of going for the big things like his hobbies?  It might make the gift just unexpected enough that you'll win a smile or a less-standard answer. big_smile  Of course, he may just say the same thing anyway... some men are just like that!  In which case, enjoy the shopping and the knowledge that he will know you were thinking of him whether he seems excited or not!

Good luck!

13. profile image55
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

I've had the same problem. What you want is jaw-dropping shock value. The gift must be totally unexpected. You know you've broken the insipid "How nice; thank you very much" when they stare at your gift in silence for several seconds. Then they look at you with misty eyes totally speechless.
       So what will shock your Dad? How about a cruise to France? A motorcycle? If you can't afford it, then perhaps an antique gold keywind pocket watch (that works) with grapes etched on the casing. eBay is always good for antiques.
       The point is to stray outside of the comfort zone. Think: Intense, violent reaction. A whoopee cushion? Maybe a farting machine concealed beneath his favorite chair? Then again, it's possible both men are beyond the Wow! Factor.

14. Brandy Alexander profile image60
    Brandy Alexanderposted 13 years ago

Create a calendar using a collage of photos of his interest. There are many sites available for stock images or use pictures of your own. The gift will show thought and creativity. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)