Global Gaffes by Phalin and Geography

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (47 posts)
  1. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Sarah Phalin's recent mis-statement or "gaffe" as some have labelled her verbal confusion between "North" and "South" Korea may be an indicator of her lack of education on geography and more importantly, the history of politics.

If you were chosen as a mentor assigned to coach Sarah on the subject of world politics, what three historical events should Sarah Phalin know?  And why?

1. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Desperation and alarm, how interesting to see how it manifests among the American people.

2. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I would advise her that the world extends beyond American borders!  Why?  Because I fear the rest of the world is all too easily forgotten and there is much to learn from others including the minnows.

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

If you were chosen as a mentor assigned to coach Sarah on the subject of world politics, what three historical events should Sarah Phalin know?  And why?...

1) The Great Depression... because that's what I enter into every time I hear her talk

2) The Manhattan Project.. in the hope that she would want to take home and play with some radioactive susbtances

3) Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon... to inspire her.. after all, if a simple salad can learn how to walk...

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Errors in geografy and spelln are inexcoosable.

True, so are pronunciation errors of a main branch of the American military quite inexcusable.  Let us not forget that Obama did not, perhaps still does not, know how to pronounce the name of the United States Marine Corps.  Such an in touch dude, so smart.  Enough said.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet Sarah knows the names of lots of Marines

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm NOT a Palin fan, but folks seem WAY more interested in her gaffes than they do in those made by Obama, or in the veritable gaffe machine, Biden.

in her defense, she is hotter than the guys you mentioned

2. KFlippin profile image61

Well said, so true.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You really don't understand the difference?

One could be in Mensa, while the other has menses?

Shame on you, you would appear to be insulting females who find it odd that old Palin gaffes are highlighted by liberals ad nauseum, while they ignore the continued gaffes by males such as Biden and Obama. 

The difference??  None, excepting that Biden our VP (horrors) makes many more and Obama is actually our President.......kind of more important to pay attention to and evaluate.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

You really don't understand the difference.

Do you know the difference between Hormel chili in a can and chile home made on the stove top???  One is consistently boring and expected and okay to the palate....the other has lots of variation, hot or mild, thick or medium, homegrown beef or walmart.....just which is really what America needs???  smile smile

Sadly, most Americans on life time welfare could care less how to actually make chili, they think they should have the right to the funds to buy it already slathered on their Dog. smile

....and the analogy.......for the dunces.....you want your politicians to come out of a can, safe and palatable.

We have missed your sunshine on the forums.

Who has?

smile

I will say thank you for noticing my absence, and be grateful.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Swing and a miss...

Try again.

Home run.  smile

Your fence must be behind the plate.

2. DTR0005 profile image60
            DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that and Obama and Biden, and they have their faults, aren't ignorant. The problem with Sarah Palin is that she has no clue how truly ignorant she really is. Her overnight rise to fame and fortune went to her head. The mark of a truly intelligent individual is when to know you are out-gunned and keep your mouth shut. Palin appeals to that segment of America that thinks being "dumb" is akin to nobility. I have more respect for the self-aware ignorant...

You have been well taught by the liberal media in regard to Sarah Palin and any other middle America potential candidate (which the libs are so so avidly saying they are all for, ha...), you have learned quite well the message they have sought to teach.

If you think Biden is the greater intellect, the less ignorant, the more eligible, then by all means I look forward to seeing you and the rest of his followers who simply find him simply simply amusing back him in 2012.  smile  It would be fun.

Nobody taught me, I have ears and eyes.

No, truthfully the media has nothing to do with me being able to see "stupid" from a mile away. I am not defending other politicians - after all, the subject matter at hand is Sarah Palin. I wrote Sarah Palin asking to see a copy of her highschool diploma; as of yet she has failed to respond. Then again, I did write it in cursive - maybe that threw her off.

3. DTR0005 profile image60

And I find it charming that the only response most ultra-conservatives, defenders-of-the-Sarah-Palin-faith can come back with when their messiah is challenged is: "you must have heard that in the liberal media." Actually I listened quite intently to what Sarah had to say two years ago. And I will tell you this - I would have voted for McCain but for HIS RUNNING MATE. It became very apparent that as soon as she opened her mouth, we were dealing with a moron. It had nothing to do with the media "opening up our eyes." If she would have been smart, she would have left the folksy rhetoric down at the moose lodge, but again, blinded by the sudden fame and feeling of self-importance, Sarah started running her mouth. And her mouth and her false sense of importance is her downfall. Check out what McCain's campaign staff had to say about her, what Karl Robe (The GOP God) has to say about her... it ain't good.

Actually, her first speech was a home run and had many on board, it was only after she was further down the road, was targeted by the likes of Curic the Cunning Curious in need of a Face Lift, that she was perceived as inadequate.  That is not to say that she was or was not at the time, certainly she was new to this game, and not yet in need of a face lift or a Cunning Curic sound bite to make her career, she was just Sarah Palin.

That said, this whole attack on her that seems to have no bounds, no time line, no let up, says that the liberals see her as a threat, a continued big threat, so go figure, a regular Jill has the liberals Sceered and even more Scuzzy.

Obama is pretty slick, and took folksy to new heights in this country, and it took several speeches by him before I turned my attention to Hillary, as once I was past the Obama Glow, I began to hear a repetitive message buried in his speeches that was not and never will be good for America, it took a keen ear, but you could hear it. 

Palin on the other hand, did not require a keen ear to hear where she stood, who she was, folksy or not.  I will always choose that clarity in the years left to me to cast my vote, whether it be Palin or some other candidate.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                    Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, Perhaps you can spin your version of why, after getting the question wrong concerning the duties of VP. Palin didn't ask someone exactly what they were?  And after the second time she got it wrong, why didn't she ask someone then?  And after the third time she missed the same question, do you think she asked anyone?

Can you see yourself not asking someone, after not knowing what the job duties were and being embarrassed on national TV?  Tell us why?

Coming on the national stage and making a few jokes is not a home run when you are talking about the VP of the Free World. It is important that a Presidentail or vice Presidential candidate know the following: how many states we actually have in the US, that Africa is a continent and not a country, that there are more than the First and Second Amendment to the Constitution, that the President's lasting legacy is whom he or she appoints to the Supreme Court and not what color the drapes are in the executive mansion, and lastly, a President needs to be able to seek council when his or her knowledge is lacking - Palin, unfortunately, hasn't demonstrated that she knows any of the latter or is capable of admitting she knows none of the latter... You know, run Rand Paul if you will - though I can't stand him, he has more qualifications than Sarah has. It's not that she's a conservative, it's that's she just plain ignorant... Again, for me and most, this is not a partisan issue - If Sarah Palin were a Democrat, I would have the same issues.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://thestarceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/barack_obama_bikini.jpg

One looks good in a bikini...

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I agree, too much is made of all gaffes made by all politicians no matter what party they are from... I'm more concerned with what they do or plan to do in office

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I wonder what kind of chili Sarah Palin slathers on her fresh-killed moose.

Dinty Moron

Most likely sometimes it is from a can and sometimes it is from her own stove top and recipe, as opposed to those that want it from a can or from a restaurant as a rightful welfare drawing consumer. That does not make Palin a Presidential candidate, nor does it NOT make her a Presidential candidate, it makes her an American who has made her own way, in the great tradition of the American Dream.  Kudos to her.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

A demonstrable connection with reality is expected, yes. Understanding of the complexity of running the United States as a member of an even more complex global community is not "safe and palatable."

I, for one, don't want my president to be a trigger happy loose cannon. Call me bland. So be it.

And just where do Obama and Biden fit with that???!!!

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well, Joe Biden is an acknowledge foreign policy expert. Which of about 1,000 sources would you like me to cite on that?
    Obama is anything but trigger happy.
    If the red phone rings at 3am I feel comfortable that he will call in his many advisers rather than knee-jerk a "nuke 'em!" response.

And OMG, what if, God forbid, it happens to be North Korea who sets off the incident? How long would it take for Palin to realize they are not our allies????

Joe Biden is a foreign policy expert?????

HaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then where the heck has he been the past few weeks???????  How about the past 2 years!!!  HE is a walking GAFFE!!!

Advising Hilary Clinton???????? HaHa!!! smilesmile

I think not.  Nor do I believe for a second that Hillary is not considering a run for President, and I hope she in fact is.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Wait for it...

11. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Where did KFC go?

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who dat?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)