'All' is such an easy word to mis-understand isn't it?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

Why do we have to endlessly recycle the old conflicts: first we fought about slavery, then segregation, then gender, and now sexual orientation, while gender identity is in the wings waiting. Why can't people look at the phrase 'liberty and justice for all' and simply accept that 'all' means 'all.' and not 'all who agree with me or think like me or look like me or act like me or have sex like me or pray like me or are holier than thou like me or dress like me or all who unplugged their brain like me' Why can't christians understand a word as simple as 'all'?

2. simeonvisser profile image69
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

From an evolutionary perspective, there is a good answer to this question: we naturally like people who are similar to us and we fear those we are (too) different. That's why people belong to groups and exhibit group behaviour. Everyone who considers himself a Christian just beliefs what their particular denomination of Christianity believes and that fuels the discussions: "You don't believe what I believe", etc.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Surely you're not accusing christians of evolving are you? lol. Do all who evlove eventually persecute and display out right hatred for those who differ or does this require religion to bring to fruitation?

1. simeonvisser profile image69
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, evolution plays a role in religions too, see this recently published hub (not mine so no personal promotion of hubs): http://hubpages.com/hub/Evolution-of-Ch … -Religions

I'm saying that it is human nature to prefer your own group rather than a different group.

I'm aware of the clanish tendencies of mankind. I know that we naturally seek out like minded or no minded associates. Is the hatred and persecution of all others who differ a inevitable step in this evolutionary process, or does this reqiure a teaching force like religion?
          None of this explains why so many religious people lack the ability to understand the meaning of the word 'ALL'.  I am a little confused by your statement that religion evolves. I was under the impression, and I get it all the time that everything has been pre-ordained and planned. Is following a preconcieved plan actually evolution?

Oh, and BTW, thx for stopping by.

1. simeonvisser profile image69
            simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My personal experience is that religious people tend to think more black-and-white. People are either good or bad, they are either a Christian/Muslim or they are not, and they are either saved or they are not. They honestly believe that they are on the path to salvation while others are awaiting their impending doom.

That's why it is so hard to understand the meaning of the word 'all' because they don't see people as alike. Yes, everyone is a child of God but some people are on the wrong path in life. So those people are not the same as them.

If you think you are doing what God Almighty wants and you also think that others are doing things that God does not want, it is very easy to engage in hatred behaviour.

I don't think everything is 'planned' although I do think one thing leads to another in life. But when we look back in history we can also see reasons that explain why something happens. They follow naturally from previous events. Things don't stay the same, they keep changing.

No worries, I like discussions smile

Good point simeon, most religious people do think in black and white. They also work very hard to keep future generations from developing the skills they need to engage in any sort of critical thinking. They don't want their children questioning their beliefs in an attempt to appear as smart as they think they are. Why put up with questions from your kids about thing you have no clue about. Better to keep the children as dumb as the parents. This is a sure fire way to keep this country headed where they want it to go. You can see the results of the last twenty or thirty years of this plan in action today. Compare our graduating student against most other indistrialized nations and you will find that we are becoming the laughing stock of the world, and rightly so in my opinion. 30 years ago this country lead the world in educating students. Now students in other countries know more about American History than American students do. How do we fix this, well I'll tell you how. We remove the facts from history lessons and the important people like Thomas jefferson and teach our students a commonly accepted myth instead. Oh, I see the christian right is already doing this, my bad.

1. profile image56
                exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stump Parrish says, religious people keep the children dumb This is a sure fire way to keep this country headed where they want it to go. You can see the results of the last twenty or thirty years of this plan in action today. Compare our graduating student against most other industrialized nations and you will find that we are becoming the laughing stock of the world. 30 years ago this country lead the world in educating students

I remember when they started taking God out of the schools, americans are taking God out of everything they can. that is why you can see everything doing down hill, taking God out started in the schools and Stump Parrish can see what has happened to the education in America,
                If God went back into our schools you could see improvement.
                it is such a shame that religious people is the ones that can not see the truth

1. Jerami profile image58
                  Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.   BUT ?
                    This too was foretold.

2. Stump Parrish profile image59

Extortor, Has god really been removed from school? The successful efforts of the religious right to rewrite history to suit their beliefs says no. That a teacher in the south is forbidden to teach comprehensive sex education because it offends the sense of decency according to the moral majority. That this education could save the life of a teenager, nor the fact that it is the best way to accomplish another christian goal, reducing abortions is beside the point.

I think you will have a dificult time proving your theory. That education began it's decline in this country at about the same time men quit wearing the duck tail hairdo is perhaps the better explanation for it's decline. It makes as much sense as your example of your reasoning. Removing religion from the public school system would actually improve the quality of the education in question. The Texas School board is an over used example of how claiming god has been removed from the schools is a falsehood. Knowledge is whats being removed from our childrens education and it's the christians doin the removing.

Sry couldn't keep quiet about this, lol. The religious right in texas has begun to rewrite the history of this country to suit it's beliefs...Removing facts about our nations history from an American History curricullumn is not a good way to improve the quality of education our students receive. This is why most industrialized countries graduates know more about our country than our own students do. Keeping actual knowledge from the next generation of students accomplishes 2 things. It makes the previoius generation feel better about their beliefs as no one from the next generation has a reason to question the previous one.  It gives you results that are showing up all over the world. America is rushing to last place in every catagory. Let's keep Raising our kids according to the wishes of the Stupid is as Stupid Does crowd. By all means keep every scrap of knowledge you can locked up or them youngins is gonna start athinking for themselves like they did when we let em be hippies in the sixties and seventies. Gotta nip this nonsense in the bud I tell ya. Dumb 'em down and put 'em to work like the good little worker ants we like. 5  hoursa day of The Faux News Network is mandatory extra credit homework a night.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

This may appear to be changing the subject, but this is what comes to mind when reading the previous posts.

It is common for people to think that mankind has evolved.

Have we really?  I think,  Not in the last four thousand years.
      We are no different than they were back then.

We have gained a wider understanding of things that are,
    Yet our natural instincts are set in stone.

We have learned different techniques to suppress these natural tendencies when required for our survival and for the survival of our intentions.

If you could just snatch one of those people through time, into the present, it would take no time for them to mentally adapt into today's society.

To think ourselves superior to them in any way is to fool ourselves.

It has always been about surviving and maintaining some level of comfort.  We find this easier to do in a group.

1. fits3x100 profile image58
      fits3x100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stump! I sooo agree with what's bugging you about the dumbing down of America....and sooo disagree with what is at it's root.
      All? Do you mean like "all religious people?" In Iran an openly gay man would be executed...immediately...without a trial. I take offense at being lumped into any group like this.
      Re-writing history started in the uhhhh....let me see....Garden of Eden?
      In the late 1790's the average farm family in this country sat down to discuss the Federalist papers after dinner...most legal professionals today would be challenged by the language, let alone the concepts discussed at those tables. The primary textbook? ugh...the Bible.
      During the 1860's a home schooled poor boy led this country through the Civil war. Hundreds of thousands of men and boys died to secure the freedom of a people so different from themselves that to  imply selfish reasoning would be asinine. The overwhelming majority of those boys were publicly educated...in small schools...primary textbook? ugh-huh... My Grandparents and their parents were among them.
      1905...my Grandmothers valedictorian speech was about following Jesus' example to help create a sound basis for leadership.
      1968.  US Supreme Court Rules in Epperson V. Arkansas in favor of  teaching Evolution and set's the framework that has made it illegal to this day to teach virtually anything inferring intelligent design.
      Roe  V Wade... again devaluing Christian belief.
      Stump. Dude. I so agree that we as a people are dumber than a box of rocks. But I'm sorry man, my beliefs are so "old fashioned" that they sure as Hell can't be blamed for this crap.
      My Son would be a great kid to talk to. He's just 15. Can tell you the commanding Generals and their movements/consequences right down to individual unit commanders in most Civil War engagements. Napoleon's Campaigns...same...Atrocities of Rome...Calvinism...the Dark ages.... Speaks French fluently, Farsi passably, now learning Thai and Mandarin. There's more. We will discuss that personally I hope someday. But suffice it to say, he is not publicly educated. He does not believe exactly as I believe...but he know why he believes...what he believes. To infer, that because I'm a Christian, I desire his or anybodies "ignorance"? Come on man. Please don't lump folks...even if everybody else does.
      Usually, if everybody thinks a thing, it horribly false!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)