The end of this era

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. marcofratelli profile image77
    marcofratelliposted 15 years ago

Hi guys,

I thought I would share this with you. I attended a presentation in Australia this week by Professor Courtenay Bartholomew. He is an emeritus professor of medicine, a doctor, a scientist. He was a member of the research team that discovered the AIDS virus in the west indies. He has written a number of books on our Blessed Mother and has toured many countries presenting his findings.

He also speaks as a historian, linking dates of events in history with religious feasts and apparitions, asking the question - is it all a coincidence? He spoke about the Miracle of the Sun, the apparitions in Fatima and messages in Akita. There has been a lot of talk on the internet recently about the end of the world coinciding with the end of the Mayan calender on Dec 21st, 2012. He analysed the current state of the world in relation to the Bible teachings and noted the rise in viruses (such as AIDS), increasing natural disasters, terrorism etc and the widespread rejection of God in our every day lives.

His message was a simple one of returning to the church and returning to a lifestyle based on principles presented in the Bible. Praying the rosary. Consecrating our homes to and having confidence in the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of our Blessed Virgin Mary. I know a lot of people have a go at Catholics and say that we "worship" Mary. This is not true and there is not a fourth person in the Holy Trinity. We simply ask her to pray for us.

Concerning the hype about the end of the world, it was noted that it will not be the end of the world, it will be the end of the world as we know it - the end of this era. The comment was made that in the Bible it states that "no one but the Father knows the exact date" of when certain events will occur, not even the Son. There is no need to live in fear.

The professor spoke about the messages of Our Lord to Berthe Petit and that the prayer "Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for Us" would be the last help given to us before the end of time.

(NB: This topic is not intended to cause offense or add to the hype, it was what I took away from a wonderful presentation)

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I am looking forward to the end of this era. smile

What you guys don't seem to be able to grasp is that your bronze age religionism is part of this era. big_smile

ciao.

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that Mark smile

2. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like Professor Bartholomew's message from his presentation is the same as what Mary's was at Fatima.  This topic shouldn't cause offense.

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Well then I guess all of us who do believe should start cleaning up or messes and doing right instead of judging others for their beliefs.smile

1. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree AEvans.  But you don't expect anyone to stifle their own beliefs fearing that it might be misinterpreted as judging someone do you?  Do you not think that marcofratelli had the right to post what he did? smile

To tell you the truth I wouldn't have minded if marcofratelli had have stuck around because what he posted is something that I am passionate about.  I wouldn't have minded having a dialogue with him.  But he got attacked with the first two replies so I doubt if we'll see him back.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hope he comes back as no harm was meant and it eliminated the time,day and hour panic syndrome that is going on around here. Everyone has to right to express themselves, what bothers me is when it becomes a fight and everything gets out of hand. If we can walk in here 99.9% pure as snow, then there is a chance that some will listen, but when we have done our own deed of backsliding, sometimes God just wants us to watch and listen and just not speak. I believe that the reason that some get angry isbecause they have there own mess to clean up, as you have to be right before you start talking about God. Just my opinion.smile

3. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

To tell you the truth I am getting fed up with this so called Religion forum.  We should all just give it over to the atheists and new agers and go some where else.  That seems to be their objective anyways, a godless so-called "religion" forum.

You know you should open a topic on that , and see what happens.smile Just a thought..smile

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I tried that.Called it "Leave us alone", But at last read, it was still going on and on. sad Ah well, it got them all talking again. smile

2. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't do that.  I may not like all the scripture posting, but, I do like reading what you've got to say.

And by the way, marcofratelli just posted a hub on animals.  They got some really good pictures on there.  I highly recommend you check it out.

3. marcofratelli profile image77
      marcofratelliposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey mate, I'm still around and still developing my faith. I'll never be shut down by anyone else's opinion. They can express it, I have no dramas with that and if it's something constructive that will initiate a discussion I'll probably reply next time I log in. If it isn't constructive well it's not worth replying to. But great call with your comment above, that's what I've noticed. Why do "athiests" even post in a "religion" forum?!

This might come as a surprise to you, but one viewpoint on religion is that it is damaging, dangerous, and holds us back from developing ourselves. I am an atheist and have found myself interfered with and abused in the name of religion, so I am expressing that viewpoint.

I agree with the post you made - change is coming. The end of an era even. The end of an era in which the churches and religion have dominated the political, social and economic landscape, culminating in the current crises.

Not so long ago, I was trying to explain to some one who was of the opinion that "god gave us dominium over," did not mean that there were no responsibilities involved. Yet she prefers to see the destruction of the Alaskan wildlife refuge on the basis that god gave us dominion. 

I did find it interesting that the writer calls for a return to the "values," of the era which is coming to an end, which leads me to believe they do not understand what is going on themselves.

1. marcofratelli profile image77
          marcofratelliposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good point about responsibilities. I don't agree with the logic that churches and religion = current crises though. It actually appears as though the lack of "religion" (let's even call it a "solid moral foundation" for now if it's a better phrase) is what is leading us to fall into all the things that are culminating in the current crises: greed (economic collapse), promiscuity/sexual freedom (AIDS), lack of tolerance of others (terrorism, wars) etc.

On that basis I think the writer is referring to the "values" such as those represented in the 10 commandments - the same commandments that actually form the basis of the values and laws of many countries like the US & Australia - as opposed to what we are seeing in society today.

On a different note, I'm extremely fascinated by science but a lot of stuff is beyond my (and most people's) comprehension. To me, the only logical explanation is that there has to be a higher power such as God behind such an intelligent and complex creation. From experience, I have seen the power of prayer. Sometimes things happen that are completely beyond your control and you realise you are helpless and find yourself praying. I don't know Mark, maybe you're right about it all but I get fulfilment from being a Christian so it's the path I've chosen for myself.

Greed has been rampant and still is rampant amongst the churches. Just a few months ago a bomb was detonated in Greece and riots arose after it turned out that the Greek Orthodox church conspired with government officials to steal tax payers money:

http://internationalpropertyinvestment. … perty-scam

AIDS and sex -

I am sure I don't need to add any links to the various child sex abuse cases that have been bought against priests belonging to the catholic church - or detail the lengths that the church has gone to to protect those priests.

Lack of tolerance and wars -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/weeki … .html?_r=1
            http://www.france24.com/en/20090322-you … is-protest
            http://www.mnnonline.org/article/12457

As for the science, I suggest reading "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins for a reasonable explanation of how evolution works and why there cannot be a creator involved.

There is usually a rational explanation for everything that occurs although some times the answers are not clear, and there are many things science has not yet explained.  I personally do not feel the need to ascribe anything I do not understand to a god, but that is your choice. I only really object when some one tells me I need to do the same.

That only happens when you read the posts! If you don't read them, then they will not apply to/include you. Easy fixed ! !  big_smile

Ah so what you are saying is that I was not approached in the street the other day by some one who wanted to tell me the good news, I did not hear a church bell ringing out last Sunday morning, no one left a flyer on my car introducing me to the marvels of Jehova, and my local Mayor did not make a public speech this weekend complaining about how difficult it was to integrate certain members of my community because they were not catholic.  big_smile

Are you serious?  Did you have all these approaches? Wow. I can only say one thing to that. It wasn't me behind the cospiracy to "get you". It seems there is nowhere to run. lol

Yes I am serious. I am actually a little miffed at the Mayor - this was the usual combining of religion and politics guaranteed to piss off certain members of the community who happen to be brown and follow some other religion. big_smile

4. Make  Money profile image66

Good idea

Go do it!!! I am looking forward to it...smile

5. Make  Money profile image66

No I am beyond fed up RKHenry.  It's time for at least me to move on.  But I'll be posting a suggestion in a minute if anyone else wants to do the same.

1. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Move on???  Where you going????  [bummed face]

You will see...big_smile

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

MM--

What would you like to see happen?  I absolutely do not agree with the Catholic pro-life stance--I think you know.  But you do have a right to post here.

7. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

The problem with prophesy and 'apparition' remains the same - you can't demonstrate causality. The end of the world as we know it might be just around the corner, but analysing the tangible symptoms e.g. climate change, economic collapse, pandemics is more likely to be fruitful than analysing prophesy and revelation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)