Pay Per Click to Promote Your HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 13 years ago

Greeting Hubbers!...

Just wondering if anyone ever tried pay per click like google adwords, yahoo ad center or other to promote one of their "money" hubs?  And are we allowed to use a HubPages landing page for pay per click?  I didn't see any hard fast rules on this.  I've just been hearing so much about how pay per click can really accelerate ones income IF you know what you're doing of course. Would love to here feedback on this, thanks!

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be fine as long as you dont compete with Hubpages on any of it's PPC phrases.  Whether you would make a profit off it or not is a completely different matter though!

1. profile image0
        multimasteryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well how would you know all PPC phrases Hubpages is bidding on??  I'm sure there's tons!...

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Google for "Adsense arbitrage".

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cryptic Pcunix. Is that good or bad? smile

1. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you Google it, you will find out smile

I'll give you a clue, arbitrage is where you buy something low, and sell it high. If you buy traffic using advertising, and send it to a page with adsense on it.... this is arbitrage.

Though it is more complex than that. So you should google it.

Arbitrage is a good way to send your adwords and adsense account to /dev/null.

Personally, I would never use adwords on hubpages.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As Thomae said, Google it.  Let's just say this: Mother Google does not approve.

I knew that. But then you are so obscure Pcunix. Thanks to both of you for a good answer. However, if you have a landing page that leads to pages that have adsense on a different domain that would be ok right?

1. Pcunix profile image90

Why? Because you are masking your intent?

1. darkside profile image65
              darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The intent of what? Using Adwords to get traffic and qualifying that traffic before it lands somewhere else?

2. bgamall profile image68

Pcunix, I am not smart enough to mask my intent. smile I am just wondering how people drive traffic in an honest way to pages that have adsense on them.

I don't mean to be obscure. It is a complicated subject.

I sometimes use Adwords to drive traffic to pages that advertise products and services I sell. Those pages sometimes carry Adsense too, but apparently it is obvious to Google that my Adwords search terms and my Adwords text match the page content, so they have never given me any trouble over it.

I don't know what specific actions would cause them to dislike you. It is obviously complicated.

So sometimes you are breaking the rules?

No. I explained what I am doing and why.

But of course you dislike anything I have to say. I quite understand why you'd automaticcally look for evil intent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you explained was that you had Adsense on pages that you are using Adwords to drive traffic to said pages.

Am I missing something?

I wonder about this too. Arbitrage is against the rules but is all adsense banned from adwords? That would seen to be wrong too, but how would you know where you stand?

3. darkside profile image65

Yes, it would be okay.

3. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

You might as well start your own website and use PPC and received 100% Adsense revenue or get a free Blogspot blog, they give you 100% revenue.

1. ThomasE profile image68

You should not send paid traffic to a page with adsense on it. That is not advised.

2. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true!

4. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 13 years ago

Looks like ole Google has their double standard on this and they punish who they want to while giving their top money makers wiggle room.  Not surprising to me at all.  Here's an interesting article I found on the subject:
    http://ppcblog.com/adwords-adsense-arbi … mment-8704

1. tritrain profile image71
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google has a lot of double standards.

But we are little fish in the big sea.  We must try to keep in Google's good graces.

5. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Better yet, build a website/blog and point it to your Hubs.  You could then use your Adwords credits (among others) toward the website/blog.

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

The simple question of

Can I have adsense on a page promoted by adwords? is a clear and 100% .. YES

that alone is in no way a TOS violation and is very, very common and normal.

As PU points out - its all about intent, anyone who uses adsense/adwords (especially, Google staff) could see clearly whether your goal is a variant of the arbitrage method. Its clear as day when you look at the page/site.

Do you regularly get .50+ clicks on the page and are bidding on tons of odd longtails that cost you .05 cents? When someone arrives on your page is is smack dab full of adsense ads (front and center) .. what else could a visitor do when they arrive besides adsense? is there a mailing list sign up or a product for sale?

A hubpage is generally not something that would be seen as an arbitrage page - way too many exit links in the sidebar, tons of useful content and other activities for a visitor to do.

But, its not really the best of places to use money on ads for unless you have a great conversion rate on some sort of product, otherwise, its hard enough to learn how to use adwords and make a profit on your budget - losing 40% of your opportunities for amazon/ebay from the jump is a hard margin to makeup. Even if your goal was adsense arbitrage - a hub would not be a good location, loss of 40% impression, again hard to make up for.

I used a free voucher on hubs before and (keep in mind adsense is my least important revenue source) - I did see an increase in adsense but it would not have made up for the cost if I actually had bought the traffic - but it did work out great for the product I was targetting and which my intent was to sell.

( I now have an entire site dedicated to the product and still use adwords to promote it)

in short - one would normally KNOW they were attempting arbitrage, it would be their intent and they wouldnt have to ask in a forum if it was ok.

Just a question: how does google know intent? I mean, if there is sort of an arbitrage going on, yet that was not the intent, how can Google read intent?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, well of course they cannot read intent with algorithms - but a human staff member, and adwords has plenty of staff members, would recognize an arbitrage page right away.

and keep in mind - google is a brain trust - http://google-interview.com/google-inte … sheet.aspx

they dont hire stupid

Sure they do. They can't have 20,000 plus employees without hiring SOME stupid smile

But, yes, you have made a far better explanation than I did.

2. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi sunforged you make a lot of great and valid points! But I still say Google has double stands and can be very unfair.  Many people get penalized and banned left & right from them every day - for no good reason - while others walk away unscathed.   So far, based on what I've gathered,, I would not even fool with mixing Google Adwords with Adsense.  Too risky - Not enough rewards ~ and too many complications!

3. ThomasE profile image68

In the past I have generally advised people not to put adwords on hubpages. It seems obvious to me that you will lose money. You are talking about a site full of distractions, where 40% of the impressions go to someone else.

I don't see how you could make money, most of your paid customers would just leak away.

Add to that the slim margins (6% commission on Amazon) and typical amazon conversion of 20% of ctr...

well, the maths says you will lose money.

And, the benefit of hubpages is generally that it is fairly easy to rank in the organic search... if you pay for traffic you don't need that advantage.

Yeah, that is the other side of this: arbitrage would  tough enough without the disadvantages added here.

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

to be specific - that is a list of prohibitions not definers of what arbitrage is.

-----

I do see how it could be confusing and interpreted in many ways.
    Just another example of how nebulous google policies can be.

As a consumer I would have no problem with the site shown, it presents related products in an easy to navigate manner, presumably I can find products from dozens of suppliers all from one location rather than going to each supplier individually.

The adsense ads are at the bottom of the page below the fold in a position that would not normally be considered "optimized"

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Pay per click for Hubpages has never interested me, because I just know that wasting money is not good in these economic times.

I've fluttered with Facebook ads, but on my websites, but never on individual Hubpages as I don't see me paying for traffic will help.

If you play your cards right Facebook ads can be more direct and to the point of getting some qualified traffic, all be it social networking traffic from the Facebook crowds, but hey, everything's becoming connected now and who knows what might happen....

I just find the idea of paying for traffic daft, but it's best to test things out even if it's only the once!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)