Time to dispel some Ad Program Myths....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

My post:

"Hi Jason,

Will there be further information on how ad revenues are shared under the new system? For example, are we still seeing 60% and if so are we seeing 60% of revenues or 60% of impressions?

I can see great potential in allowing alternative advertisers being able to compete against AdSense for 4 of the ad units, assuming that this is how it works?

What I really want to know is whether an individuals earnings are specific to revenues achieved through that individuals hubpages, rather than the “pooled” or “co-op” system at Squidoo. And of course, the how the sharing works.

I am happy enough with how things are going with the ad program, and of course always have the option to opt-out if I so wish, but the transparency of the Hubpages model was what attracted me to the site in the first place. Is there a page which details this anywhere? Or will this be forthcoming?

Many thanks in anticipation, Ryan."

Jason Menayan:

"Ryan,

We continue to use the same 60:40 impressions-based split, under both AdSense and the HubPages Ad Program.

Yes, for those 4 ad units under the Program, AdSense competes with other ad sources, and if they appear on your Hub, it means it has outperformed the other ad sources.

Revenues are absolutely related to the traffic going to your Hubs; there is no “even-ing out”.

We are working on developing FAQ and Learning Center entries about the HubPages Ad Program, for once the program is more broadly available (i.e. when we’re out of beta)."

The similarities with Squidoo start and finish with the payment method, nothing else. The program is very positive, and I am 100% behind it. It seems that some people needed this clarification (as did I of course, as per my post).

2. SunSeven profile image59
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Wow! Thats some post! smile

(But, whats new?)

Best Regards

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You posted asking for somebody to dispel conspiracy theories about the Ad program, so I thought that this would help smile

Jason's post cleared up a lot for me, thought it would help a few others understand too? Maybe not lol Oh well, just trying to be helpful, as this information is not yet published formally by Hubpages?

3. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Thanks for posting, as I did wonder a bit. So far I am earning more and more regularly with the new in house ads for some reason and do hope that that continues. I like it! smile

1. profile image0

Yay! Somebody DID benefit after all.

I wasn't too clear about how it worked, I probably missed info about it, but Jason's answer was the best he could have given so I am a happy bunny.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Ryan, can you explain this statement further?

I think I understand it, but would like some interpretation.
    If I see AdSense ads above the title while participating in the HP ad program, does that mean AdSense outbid? What exactly does outperform mean in this context?

1. profile image0

Yes I suspect that is the case.

Even with AdSense you can opt to allow other networks use your AdSense spots (e.g. DoubleClick, Yahoo).

I suspect that Hubpages have worked in various networks, and the highest performing ads for a particular topic will show.

Which is why I suspect that they have to use the current model with PayPal payments, rolling that out on an account-by-account basis would be complicated or near-impossible.

The program probably won't be perfect, but if AdSense has a giant click sitting there waiting for the perfect converting visitor, then I can't see a generic impression based ad about cars sitting in its place.

That is the way that I percieve it. What this could mean, potentially, is that the days of completely irrelevant adsense ads is largely over. And in turn, that could mean higher CTR rates. If AdSense don't have a bidder, maybe another network does wink

Only, we won't know, only Hubpages will know what happens to the overall CTR. Anyway, I am supportive.

Maybe that will change when the earnings update lol

Obviously we should await the full Hubpages explanation, but my only perception of the change is a positive one.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're correct.

We didn't use the word "bidding/outbidding" in the blog post because not many people understand this concept and we didn't want to unnecessarily confuse people. But that's what happening - all the ad partners, including AdSense, bid for an ad spot on a Hub. The one with the highest bid is granted the spot.

The reason we pay out is that these ad partners will not allow each Hubber to create their own account. That's always been the major impediment to rolling out beyond AdSense, Amazon and Kontera - they were the only ones which allowed 100,000s of writers to create their own accounts and get paid out that way. By assuming the role of paying out (which is enormously complicated), we can finally allow Hubbers access to the ad partners we've been using on our impression share.

1. profile image0

Thanks Jason, for the validation.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, thanks for adding your response. I now understand better.

5. SunSeven profile image59

Relax fellas, we are comparitively newbies, jumping at even a penny lost. HP is a damn good business site backed by Winblad. They know, rather they have the resources to ride this tide. Sit back and watch it peak, but dont quit your day job yet. If you did already, then you are a brave heart.

Actually, I am quitting my regular job by June to be a fulltime internet slave. smile

LOL smile

1. profile image0

Everybody is relaxed, I only posted this thread because you said:

"The panic stricken is spewing theories around, which may misguide the uninitiated. Time to respond admin?"

I think that this post is 100% relevant to your comment, and is the only reason that I posted it.

1. SunSeven profile image59
        SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ryan. I adore your naivety, once I was like you. I guess you are not a part of admin? I admire the verve, the theories, the zeal, the guts.

All the best to you.

No more forum lurking tonight. To bed.... smile

Good Night

1. profile image0

"I adore your naivety, once I was like you."

You seem to have an over-inflated opinion of yourself, please feel free to tell me more about myself and how you are now so superior.

Ha! Mirrors

1. profile image0

Sorry I am confused.

Do you consider yourself to be better than me in some way? As a result of what? Income? A larger domain portfolio?

What is it exactly, that makes me inferior to you, you said it yourself you were once "like me".

Like what?

Basically you got a bloated ego! When and where did I say any of those things which you say that I said(I quoted you on this reply).
                From where did you hear that soprano?

1. profile image0

Many people would be offended by being labelled as "Niave".

That is not a complimentary word. Not in my culture it is not. A refusal to explain the label is rude too.

Hey ryan, cool it please.

Anyway its "naive" not "niave"

Its an 'understanding' word - in any culture (that I know of), unless you are looking forward to pick any fight with anybody on anything! smile

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Thanks Ryan, your interpretation helps. smile

7. SunSeven profile image59

Take life easy ryan, you are too intense, too frank and brutally honest, and good, for your own good(?). Sometimes events will pile up own their on accord, on which we have no control.

To quote Henry Miller - "In the interims I took to the villages, when I came to a lamp post I lifted my hind legs and pissed on it"

I wish the best for you.

Warm Regards
    SunSeven

1. profile image0

SunSeven, I am feeling very optimistic, absolutely fine. Any perception that you may have of me being any of a) worried, b) stressed or c) confused, are entirely your own visions of me. I am working hard off-site on my own stuff, I posted this entire thread because you said that others were stressing about the Ad Program. Were they? Or is that your perception too?

The questions that I asked Jason were perfectly valid, if you are perhaps suggesting that I need to get over the Google algorithm then I can tell you that I got passed that at least a week and a half ago.

Things are good, I have come a long way wink

8. SunSeven profile image59

Good to read that coming from you ryan. I really meant it.
    I always read your threads and sometimes wonder what this guy is upto. But I hardly post in the forums anymore for I am a slow typer plus a regular job holds me back in terms of time.

I know there are more "knowledgeable" lurkers here than us who are .......

Best regards

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)