This Is What Obama Backed In Egypt!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12854391

Yes this is the Muslim Brotherhood's work and we can expect more of this in the coming years. We kicked Mubarak to the curb and helped radical jihadists to power and well do the same in Libya because that's what Obama wants!

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup.
      Egypt was on the list of his "apology" tours he did even in 2009.

The naked emperor, so far, has gotten what he wants, wherever he went.

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a loathsome post.
      Such foul practices have been commonplace in Egypt for years. That is why the Egyptian people finally came together to remove the president. This has been achieved. The turn-out in last week's referendum on reform was high. Egypt is emerging from a dark age. There are many unknowns ahead, but at least there is hope where before there was only fear.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm amazed Americans still think they're so powerful, they're responsible for everything that happens in the world.

The Egyptian people deposed Mubarak, who was a dictator.  Don't they have a right to seek democracy if that's what they want?  One of the risks of democracy is that it allows extremists to have a voice, as well as moderates.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

right...i can't vote this up or else i would have done that..

4. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...coming from the person who posted their support for Mubarak. Yeah, we know where you really come from.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Frankly, I've written off that entire region.  Egypt used to be one of the most advanced of the arab countries when it came to women and equal rights but its status has been declining.  I regard it as the canary in the coal mine.  If things are that bad in Egypt it's worse everywhere else in the arab countries.

3. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

Can you just imagine?   You are a western educated Egyptian woman who stood shoulder to shoulder with the men in Tahrir Square putting your life on the line for change and this is what you get? It is just horrible soul crushing stuff.

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"America stands for democracy. If it supported a dictator against the citizens will, it would lose its fundamental value. Democracy and Human Rights go hand in hand. The people of Egypt have clearly expressed they want to be democratic. If anyone should understand the value of human rights, it should be America. I commend President Obama in standing up & supporting Egypt’s people in Human Rights & Democracy."

lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

For someone so concerned about the rights of women to control their own body its hard to imagine you supporting virginity tests by the police. No liberals aren't hypocrical at all!

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in America, not Egypt. Is that too hard to comprehend?
        Or do you think you should go everywhere and force your religious views on everybody? *cough* *cough*!!

1. profile image0
          Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She, and her like, think America owns the world and has the right to demand by military force how everyone else should act in accordance with our values, or rather...their values. Truly, when you boil it down, they are backers of authoritarian regimes. They want it here too, just as long as the authority sides with THEIR values. They have no concept of other countries, or other people.

5. Amanda Severn profile image93
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

It is still less than 100 years since women in the UK and the USA had a universal right to vote in their nations elections. Even now, Western women earn less on average than their men-folk, and they are less likely to succeed in the work-place. Sexual prejudice still exists even in Britain and America. Thankfully, women world-wide, are more liberated than they once were, but some nations will take longer to reach this point than others.

agreed and for that to have conservatives have to take back seat and liberals need to be more vocal....

6. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

It’s very sad to read the contents of the said article from BBC.

Removal of President Mubarak from power has nothing to do with Obama but the people of Egypt decided they want to be democratic.

It’s now that Obama’s help is needed in Egypt because if the authorities there are not checked the country may disintegrate like Somalia.

unfortunately for few people out here...everything that happens in world and it seems to be wrong or sad news , it has to do with obama smile...

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Let's put this in some perspective.

If my government established a "virginity test", and the police began knocking on my door to find out if my fiance was a virgin.

I would shoot and kill them.

All hail the 2nd amendment!

8. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

America supported Mubarak for 30 years but as soon as he was faced with crisis we kicked him to the curb Obama urging him to leave and withdrawing our support of his government. We did this not knowing who would fill the void. Everyone knew the Muslim Brotherhood was poised to step in but no one knew to what extent. Now we know they have a coalition with the army and will have a large influence in any new government perhaps more so then the people want or deserve! Egypt has been a fairly moderate country up until now but going forard it looks as though it's headed toward a more radical islamic rule with less rights for women. Make no mistake Obama had a chance to effect the outcome more in favor of western interests and ultimately in the peoples' as well. He has shown all our friends in the region he is willing to throw them under the bus in an instant, that he is an unreliable ally!

America supported Mubarak for 30 years...now you get it right..it is flawed policy of supporting dictators which usa must fundamentally change...no one is better than obama to do it...usa has to come out from dictate the term mode to consensus..it is good that obama has better intellect than bush or else usa would have become more unpopular...the way he has handled egypt and libya has been welcomed by all except few brit media and right of usa...good job...

Yes--they are an embarrasment to America, just as Bush was. Sorry to say that, but that's how they come across.
        Their idea of freedom and Democracy is "do what I say."

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't be silly.  Do you really think Obama "withdrawing support" made any difference?  Look at Gadaffi in Libya - all the talk by Western powers had absolutely no effect on him.  American talk did nothing to Mubarak either.

You seem to be saying that democracy is great for Americans, but Arab countries aren't allowed to have it. There's a price to pay for democracy, and it's allowing everyone to have a voice.  Extremists are going to take advantage of that, as much as anyone else.

No. I'm saying that our president is supposed to act in the interest of the US when engaging in foreign policy.  Installing the muslim brotherhood a radical jihadist group to power in Egypt is not in the best interest of the US or women for that matter especially those subjected to virginity tests by the police.

1. kerryg profile image84
          kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He intervenes in Libya, you criticize him. He doesn't intervene in Egypt, you criticize him. What's he supposed to do, wave a magic wand and make all the protesters disappear so we can go back to our nice, safe, US-supported dictatorships?

2. lovemychris profile image76

I'd like to know how it has anything to do with us at all!!

And, btw, while you are fighting for the rights of muslim women from exteme religionists, WE are fighting that same fight here right at home!!

"HB 2218 is nothing more than political interference in a pregnant woman’s most personal, private medical decisions.It puts lawmakers in the position of health care administrator and decision-maker and bans safe, legal procedures."

Abortion police?

1. AnnCee profile image66
            AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh gad!   They still forcing you to have babies!?!?!?   

How many is that by now? http://images.zaazu.com/img/omg-omg-oh-my-god-shock-smiley-emoticon-000702-large.gif

Lol! Its the same argument all the time! I'm pro choice everyone has a right to decide what to do with their bodies... including the fetus!

Good, so it's my right as a woman to have an abortion! Glad we agree!!

Whew....for a minute there I thought you were just as repressive as those muslims you appear to hate!!

2. lovemychris profile image76

Freedom from your extremism, that's all I'm asking.

9. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

How can all you liberals be so naive to believe Jeffersonian styled Republics will emerge from these uprisings? I mean, I realize you all believe in the concept of Utopia that will magically appear once the Open Society is established, but I’m pretty sure the Islamic factions backing these uprisings do not share your views.

The use of the term Democracy appears to have a much different meaning in the Middle East, North Africa and Western Asia. If the World is very lucky these nations will develop a Parliamentary Democracies like the style of government in Turkey, however the more likely scenario, given the ethnic divisions and religious backgrounds of the "new" voting populous, is that even if the above initially occurs it will degrade to hijacked government seeded in Theocracy visa vie the Iranian Government.

10. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

There are those who comment in the "forum" who, it seems, rant and rave,fanatically, about people, politics and gov't they seem to know nothing about.

Their objections and tirades are expressed with passion, emotion and with little knowledge or understanding of the intent of the Founding Fathers in creating the "Constitution of the United States of America!"

This "thread" and many others I've glanced at, by this writer, are so politically predjudiced that I've never bothered to follow the comments on any of them.

I thought I'd just add my 2 cents succinctly by saying that in a republic, ya'll vote and put people in office who are going to govern you!

Ya'll voted Obama in and bitch like hell when ya don't like whatcha voted into office. You have that Constitutional right!

Yet, you pay no attention to members of congress, who are slaves to "OIL," the Federal Reserve and the world banks, all who financially rape and pillage us while they gain in wealth and power...and ya ignorantly/naively/politically blame it on the man ya'll are responsible for voting into office! Wise up!

I've said it before and it's worth repeating: American voters are SCARY!

Obama it just the titular head of the nation!

When you scream out: "This Is What Obama Backed In Egypt!" you are in fact screaming out: "This is what America (We The People) Backed In Egypt!"

Come down to earth, emotional, unsophisticated "writer!" You are displaying a profound ignorance of Constitutional intent, power and control!

Qwark

If that's your 2 cents you can keep it! We're all slaves to oil and will be for some time. Maybe you can explain why Obama... er excuse me ... congress refuses to tap our oil?

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the greedy childish mentality that hides their cake away and eats everybody else's first.

In this case that just might be wise especially if one is to believe that resource is limited.

2. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha...smile:
        Of course I could!
        But it seems to me that the "writer" here needs to gain sophistication in ref to gov't, politics, powers and authority etc,. etc., so I'll let the writer find the answers for that question her/him self.
        It is surely there for the "pickin" if one desires to know and takes the time to study before "raving."
        That ended my 2 cents worth.   smile:
        Qwark

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)