What's the Interest in "Coupon" hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Wow!  There is quite the following on HP for"coupon" hubs.  What is the interest in these?  I am missing something...

http://hubpages.com/search/include:hubs+outback+coupons

http://hubpages.com/search/include:hubs … le+coupons

I don't see what the fascination is with these...a few paragraphs to tell a reader that there are coupons available if you go to websites or search for them on google....

What am I missing?  There are thousands of these...

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just checked on Market Samurai - they are written for adsense - high paying keywords and searches.

In fact the site in the #1 position for 'coupons' has a potential earning capacity of $4,000,000 per day (that's right $4M).

Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ahhh---that explains the massive quantity of these...and they don't actually provide any coupons.

It is interesting that these are considered "high quality"

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The competition for those words is tremendous - not only is the front page of 'coupons' filled with PR6+ sites, but they all have almost a million backlinks each.

I'd rather write about something else.

That explains the further narrowing to 'outback coupons' and 'printable coupons'.  Tons of more niche ones. Good grief.

2. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

so true my friend

i'm shocked

Thanks for bringing it up though!!!!!

;D

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Wow.  Live and learn.  I didn't even know that "coupon Hubs" existed.  (I must be not be searching for those words.  roll  Come to think of it, I don't search for much of anything mostly because that's the kind of stuff (coupons, etc.) you run into.  Quality-wise, and business-wise?  I'd say they're a heck of lot more high-quality than all those Hubs people who can't write in proper English (and don't know or care that they can't) try to pass off as writing, along with their profile picture of a model and a claim that they're from Ohio, USA.   lol

Very true. I flagged an account where someone wrote more than a few hubs with less than 20 words. But there were pictures of gorgeous women!  I flagged the account but did not flag the individual hubs. Hopefully HP will take that and run with it. It beats flagging hundreds of individual hubs. Will see if it actually works.

Off to write a 20 word coupon hub with a picture of a pretty girl!  Just kidding!

3. Jason Menayan profile image62
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Just a note that they should be flagged as deceptive if you come across them, if the title implies that you'll have access to (printable) coupons and the Hub itself doesn't deliver. Thanks!

'Pprintable coupons' in the title is prohibited, but articles like 'outback steakhouse coupons' are ok? 

Neither ones actually provide coupons. In fact, I don't know how to provide coupons at all on HP.

These hubs essentially say to go to the company's website or google it. Doesn't seem particulary sincere without at least a link to the location where a coupon is located.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

1. Jason Menayan profile image62
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Both "coupons" or "printable coupons" are deceptive unless they're available directly on the Hub.

"Where to find coupons" might be OK if the Hub is giving you instructions on where to find them, but I doubt any of those Hubs are using titles like that.

Fascinating. Thanks again!

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Ive never searched for "coupons" and expected "printable coupons". That wouldn't be deceptive by the writer just a mistake in terminology by the searcher.

Mutiny, http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/extreme … -diva.html

People are insane about coupons, this is just a thread where the those looking in and wondering aren't the target market, there are forums that share rapidly, hundreds of aggregate sites and apparently lots of hubs.

Goes to show the risks of having a bunch uninterested parties assuming they can comprehend the needs of  market they are not a part of.

Wow. I'm clearly out of the loop. I had no idea coupons were such a big deal. Especially on HP!

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

As you can see, I've been out of the loop too.  (Let's all go put together a bunch of coupon Hubs!!    lol  lol )

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

You are going to witchhunt your site into obscurity by arrogantly assuming you can comprehend every market and mindset.

If one was able to to just imagine from the top of the head what the searcher was looking for in every situation they would not be working for anyone else. They would be boss and sitting pretty somewhere.

Usually, people who run profitable websites track satisfaction using measurable metrics, your overlord Google also uses such metrics. If your metrics suggest an engaged audience any of your assumptions about what is useful to the target audience is simply an assumption based on unfamiliarity or an unengaged mindset.

I search for coupons regularly and if I get a page with easy to navigate navigational resources I am appeased. I know better than to expect for every page to be dynamically updated.

Essentially, you are suggesting that HP wants to give away the hugely lucrative and high trafficked market occupied by retailmenot and such sites - you really think a hub author cant provide a better resource then retailmenot?

A searcher with common sense and an understanding of their target knows they will do some navigating to get to current promotions, when one says "coupon" they dont intend only "printable coupons" (why would you assume that) and they would likely be happy with "discounts" "promo codes" "tricks where buying one item creates a lesser cost on another" anything where I pay less than retail is a happy end to my "coupon" journey. Coupon hunters are willing to go the extra mile that may even be part of the enjoyment. Its clear you are very far removed from this specific reality.

Im sure there are tons of crap returns here on HubPages but the blanket statement you made above is patently false in relation to deception.

Ouch!  I was just asking the question. I had not noticed so many coupon hubs before and thought I was missing something. Which I obviously was.

I am not sure what statements I made that is patently false. I am not an expert nor am I trying to go on a witch hunt.  Sorry...

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I get the ouch..lol, but the reply was in response to the post directly before mine.I just spent so much time taking out the typos I didn't notice your reply got snuck in there sad I use chronological view so see no need to "quote" something when it isnt eminently quotable.

You are curious and looking to clean up the site in a formulaic and precise manner, thats commendable. But, Jasons brief statement in reply  will be taken as marching orders by many. And if that arrogant and assuming stance is the future of this site and a reflection of the next wave of flags and how they will be  moderated. Then we are doomed. Smart businesses use trackable metrics , not uniformed assumptions .

If we saw something along the lines of " Our metrics point out that our visitors are bouncing quickly from those pages and are not converting into clicks to our ad options or additional views to other pages in the site, we gather that the viewers are dissatisfied with these results and we will be clearly outlining our stance on deceptive titles and what the word coupon and what such a searcher must mean using our related search data means in our site literature"

The assumption is wrong anyway - but no assumptions should be taking place. This is the easiest venue to make decisions based on data that exists. That aspect is elementary.  Isnt it?

Ah. Good points on the need for analysis. That would be interesting to see. I wonder what those kind of metrics would point to?

Good idea!

7. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Not going to argue with you on deception and forgery and other account issues but coupon hubs/aff hubs are bringing money to hubpages and that's why this site is alive for so-called writers. Try to afford poetry site or story site without any commercial intention, let me know your results. We'll jump to so-called writers niches once you present these results.

It's easy to get into witchhunt mode these days, especially when there are some intellectuals who think deviant art folks can't draw or nut jobs who think they can compete with high traffic keywords without backlinks.

Seriously hubpages staff put a new blog post saying affiliates/product hub writers are not allowed, lets just keep this place for wanna-be writers who struggle to get their stuff published on kindle(erm, let's not talk about print for now).

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Well, I didn't see anything to flag in the majority of those 'printable coupon' hubs. They weren't at all deceptive as they linked the viewer directly to printable coupons which I assume it what they would have been looking for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)