I need some advice.

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Instigator profile image60
    Instigatorposted 13 years ago

I've felt empty of emotion for two years now. I can't seem to get over this,I'm tired of faking the happiness for the people around me. I'm tired of the only thing I do feel is sadness. I don't know what to do and I could use some advice.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These articles might help you on emotions and grief! I just left this area, and maybe some my articles will help you! 
      http://hubpages.com/hub/allowemotions

2. dkanofsky profile image58
      dkanofskyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The first thing you might want to do is check in with your doctor to see what is going on.  It could be depression or it could be something else that is causing you to feel sad.  Don't leave this to chance always bettor to be safe then sorry.

3. smcopywrite profile image58
      smcopywriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is so much information on the internet concerning this condition. however, start with your medical physician. he can help diagnosis your condition or rule out any medical condition affecting your emotions. if you need additional medical help, you can direct you to where you need to be. please see a dr. its not normal to feel nothing.

4. MOEFLATS profile image67
      MOEFLATSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may very well be electronically-harassed and not even know it.  Do your ears ring?  Do you get repugnant thoughts that feel almost as though they are being forced down your minds' throat?  Do loud noises make you jump?  These are all signs of being electronically-harassed/gangstalked.  Visit LESSEMF.COM and get something to cover your ears/head while you sleep.  Visit my hub-site for additional info on this subject.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Change your Icon ...

Because, to instigate, in order to Extract information, is not the right thing to do ... Learn to proactively share your thinking, problems, with the people you interact with ...

All of us have problems ... and there are two ways of solving these...

1. As you do, by going into a depression ... sadness ... because, you cannot see the way out, in your specific Situation ... and,

2. Take on the problem head on ... where only two things can happen; you in greater probability will fail ... yet there is the slim, yet a fair chance, that you will succeed.

The second should be your approach in life ... Try, Try, Try again ... till you succeed !

6. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dumped my response...smile:

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I was like that once. It lasted about 10 years or so. But, I figured out what my one trigger that was causing mine.

It began the day my father left our home. After that, it was a struggle to show any emotion. It wasn't until a few months after he died, did I show any sort of emotion.

Then, once I dealt with that, I focused on understanding my life and what is in my best interests. I had questions about my life that needed to be answered and today I can honestly say that I don't have any questions about my life left to be answered.

I'm not sure what is driving your sadness. Therefore, I cannot offer up any sort of real help. If you are suffering from clinical depression, then I would suggest seeking out someone to talk to.

Instigatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've gone to therapy before and for the months I was in it it helped me. It cause me to take a look at myself. I've got a  lot of deep seeded issues. I'm adopted and I guess that's the root of my depression not knowing anything about my real family. It continues with the family I belong to now, both my parents have disowned me because I don't agree with there religious views and I'd rather make my own way in the world. Ever since I was a kid I've had to take care of myself, not having anyone to lean on when I need it the most. When I finally found people Incould count on I was uprooted from my life and moved to a new place to be "reformed" back into the LDS religion. Instead it pushed me even farther from my family and made it even harder for me to coupe with my problems not having any familiar faces around me. Looking back on my life it seems like one big downward spiral and mistake. I grew up in the ghetto and had to have experiences at an early age that no child should. It eats at me, my memories, my thoughts, the negativity, the feeling of no end insight for theses feelings. Am I stuck to forever shoulder my burdens alone? Relationships where a big disappointment for me so I closed that door feeling like its better to keep thoose memories and pains locked away to never be experienced again.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One should be picky about what burdens oneself. Having any regret about getting where you are today, isn't going to help matters.

It appears that you've had a rough life, more than the average person has. However, do you like who you are? What your actions say about you?

If you do not have a problem with those two questions, then what other people think about you, shouldn't matter. I'm saddened that you have no information on your biological parents and that your present adopted parents have disowned you, because of their beliefs.

I guess that is a true example of the conflict of religion and what happens to people who refuse indoctrination.

I think you need to look at yourself more and attack your own issues, one at a time and ask yourself why is it an issue? More often than not, you'll find it's you, that is your obstacle. wink

1. kmackey32 profile image65
          kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

good answer....

Thank you Kmackey. smile

@Instigator - You're welcome. smile

2. Instigator profile image60

I agree with kmackey, In a way I'm okay with myself but on the other hand it does matter what other people think of me thats why I worry about it and it bothers me. It's not a huge issue in my life but it is one that in my opinion matters to an extent. Thanks for the advice

But, why does it bother you? This sounds like a "character" issue. I mean, people talk and not all people are nice when they do. However, you should see their actions, either honesty or dishonesty, compared to your actions. Once you compare yourself to them and realize that their actions are actually lower in dignity/integrity, then you'll overcome the issue.
            Actually, you might not see it as a huge issue, but stop and think for a second- how much stress does it cause? The less stress the better. And, I honestly don't think you'll have that issue much longer. I have faith in you, to figure it out. wink

2. Confidence101 profile image59
        Confidence101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

First of all I'd like to say good job. Not many people have the ability to point out their own shortcomings in a healthy manner. The fact that you came to a group of people dedicated to helping you means you have a future outside of this because you can spot the problem and know that you can be free of this with the right help.

It's hard to be turned away by the people you love the most, and no matter what has happened in life, it's not right that this has happened to you.

You are deserving of a joy-filled life and you were created to accomplish your dreams. No one is meant to go through life carrying burdens like this. Unfortunately it happens all too often. I have shared many of the same experiences as you (although I'm not adopted) and I know the pain that being disowned by your family can cause. But it's not the end of your road. You can still go on to be an extraordinary human if you are willing to dig into this rut and fight your way out.

It wasn't an easy process for me, and I have by no means mastered it. But taking a look at your self talk and changing what you tend to believe about yourself may be a good start. I know that for me it was the hardest, but most important step I took to develop my self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-worth.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...well...you've posted in a specific thread - that looks like a bit of a clue for me.  I think if I were you, I'd speak to my dr and let the dr. know how you are feeling - the dr could decide to conduct a physical check up and possibly refer you to someone to deal with any 'mental health issues' and by mental health I mean that sadness you feel -  especially if you've been feeling the way you say you have for 2 years - that's a long time....there are too many unknowns - but your dr. could help or begin the process to help.

...and you are taking a good step by saying you need some help/advice - but tell your dr.

...good luck

Thanks. I could use some luck I'll give it a shot hopefully it will go somewhere at this point I'm open to anything that could help.

4. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Find things you like and do them. Avoid things you don't like. Do whatever it is that makes you happy.

You only have 1 life, and life can be great. Don't spend it like that, you can do whatever you want in life. Just push yourself and give yourself a chance.

I try to focus on the things I like to do but everyday life can dig up memories from my life that will throw me back into a rut.

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I agree with those who have recommended being checked by a doctor.  You may need some medication - even just for a while.

It is very sad to hear of the problems you have faced and the way your upbringing affects you now.  If you can possibly get into therapy again, it would probably benefit you.  A professional should be able to help provide the resources you need to find out whatever you can about your birth parents, or to cope with the situation if it is not possible to get the information you want.

Please know that there are people, even people who have never met you, who care about you and your life and who want to encourage you to find the people and activities that can help you to experience joy in life once again.

Thank you for that response it helped me more than you know. It helps that I can find comfort in the words of people I've never met or talked too. I hope to find something out about my birth parents but since it was a closed adoption i'm not sure how much i'll figure out. It just leaves a big question for me. I've been told enough that i wasn't good enough and I can't help to believe that even at my birth I still wasn't good enough.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you hear garbage like that statement ("You're not good enough"), just remind yourself "Consider the source."  Is the source someone who can be respected in their assessment about other people? about other issues? Are they honest with themselves about themselves?

I haven't met them, and I tend to believe that the answer to all of these is No, because a person who is a good and accurate assessor of others will probably find better, more effective, and more uplifting ways to let another person know what they can improve upon.  Everyone has flaws and faults - including, maybe especially, the people who say such stupid things as that.

But about your birth parents - Remember that there are all sorts of reasons why parents will give a child up for adoption.  But I do believe that the biggest reason is because they (parents) see that they cannot do an adequate job in raising the child.  Maybe it's because of finances or health or emotions or immaturity.  But whatever the specific reason, when a birth parent gives their child up for adoption, they are making an indirect statement that they actually do care about the welfare of the baby or child.  They care enough to help that child find a (hopefully) better home and family.  Giving a child up for adoption is a statement about the parents, not about the child.

2. hypnohotshot profile image61
        hypnohotshotposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi instigator.

Cannot get the reply button to your post to work, will use the next post.

I have worked with adoptees as a hypnotherapist. You are getting close to a major source of difficulty. Children think, "It's my fault, I am not loved = "I'm unlovable." = no good or not good enough = worthless etc. The young child who is adopted, preserved in the deeper levels of the adult emotional mind, figures they abandoned me, so I am unloved, unlovable etc. This is indicated as a major factor in the what appears to be a state of depression that you have. This early belief becomes the lens through which all subsequent life events are viewed.

Depressed states such as you describe, in myself and others I have dealt with, are often an amalgam of factors, but the above can be a major foundation. This misinterpretation, (a child's worth does not in actuality depend on how they are treated, as outlined in the post above), though this is a virtually universal way that children process their treatment by others, is a false belief, because any child is worth one unit of human, just like any other human being.

Therapy can help, hypnotherapy is faster, but both demand a competent practitioner.  Best,  Brian.  aka  hypnohotshot.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Hello fellow Adoptee smile it sounds like you have to start that journey of finding out ' who is [insert name]? big_smile sometimes, people are imposed upon by others. It's sad bcause you literally 'lose your own identity' and enter the world full of questions. As a few have said, start one step at a time. smile Welcome to Hubpages big_smile

I have some articles on emotions and grief! I just left this area, and maybe some my articles will help you! 
      http://hubpages.com/hub/allowemotions

7. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hi HattieMattieMae smile thank you for the offer but I'm quite comfortable n happy with where I am as a person. I'm sure your articles can be beneficial to others.

Hey Dame Scribe, been a while. smile big_smile

Ha ha well thought it was to instigator since the question was there's i thiough i was replying to that one! smile

Hey Mattie,

Hitting "reply" on someone's post is where you're having the problem. You're not clicking "post a reply".

When you click on "reply" of someone's post, then you are essentially talking to that individual, unless you state otherwise.

If you click on "post a reply", then your post is applied to thread itself. I hope that helps. wink

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagsil smile yes, I been busy fixing hubs tongue lol but all is well - will be anyways. Had to move 'A' capsules on my older hubs big_smile hope you been good. smile

I've been well and also glad to hear you're doing well. smile It nice to see you. smile

8. Dame Scribe profile image57

smile thanks Cagsil. I was worried my vowels or consonants might be a lil on da fat side tongue wink lol

lol lol lol

9. cindi h profile image59
    cindi hposted 13 years ago

Instigator-- Let me start by saying I'm not a therapist and don't pretend to be, although some therapists are whackier than their patients!  Anyway, Have you tried volunteering anywhere? Whenever I'm down on life or myself, I volunteer my time at the children's hospital or elderly home. The act of doing something for someone else helps take the focus off of YOU and at the same time elevates your sense of 'goodness'.  It's a long, lonely road to travel, but you don't have to travel it alone!
    Good Luck and God Bless You!!

10. profile image52
    ForYourInfoposted 12 years ago

I found you are in full smoke of negativity.You are thinking all about the badness,why are you doing so?There are so many good thinks around you.What you need is only to find them with your vision.Think positive,everything will be fine.Trust me.

11. profile image52
    footprintzposted 12 years ago

Hello and I wish you the very best of luck!

I am not a doctor, therapist, nor expert...

I would advice the following three things in this order however:

1.  Work on your self-talk.  It is ok to be your own advocate. To speak up for yourself when comfortable or even choose not to.  I would recommend a notebook.  When you "catch" yourself speaking negative, write it down along with a positive alternative for expressing.
    2.  Implement a program of doing a minimum of three things a day for yourself, no matter how minor.  Anything important to you.  Reading, exercising, praying, something you have put off, etc.
    3.  Forgive yourself just like you have given the benefit to others.  You deserve it as well!  Perhaps even more :-)  Its ok to and healthy.

12. mommyneal6 profile image70
    mommyneal6posted 12 years ago

I can personally tell you, that I know exactly how you feel. I have been going through that for some time now and about a month ago, I decided it was time to BE happy! I have 4 kids, a husband, a house, a job, and a good life,but it as been a struggle to see it. I honestly woke up one day and said to myself that I deserve to be happy and I MUST let myself feel happy. So little by little it has worked but it isn't the easiest. You have to let yourself be happy and enjoy life, because as each day goes by, your only losing time. Live yor life instead of your life living you! I hope you feel better soon because the place that you are mentally is no fun! Best of luck to you!

13. Spirit Whisperer profile image74
    Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

You cannot think your way out of this because this is not a problem that can be fixed by the intellect. This is an emotional problem and as such must be dealt with at that level. It is like looking for your wallet in the kitchen when you lost it in the bedroom.

When you sit quietly and develop the ability to watch your thoughts go by then you are beginning to take charge again. The mind is a tool but if you don't use it , it will use you.

Over identification with the body is also a source of this problem. The body is just a symbol and you are more than your brain and your body so giving that part of you too much importance simply exacerbates the problem.

When you sit quietly and choose the thoughts you know will create good feelings then you are taking charge. otherwise your mind will choose the thoughts you have got used to thinking by default and you keep creating the same negative feelings. You must make the effort involved and break the cycle you have inadvertently created for yourself.

Start the day by choosing things to be thankful for. I start the day by tanking my pillow as soon as I open my eyes. This starts a pattern of thought that inevitably leads to good feelings. You must become master in the house of your own mind and when you do you will feel good about yourself and you will know that you did it and you can face anything after that!

Strength & Honour.

14. profile image51
    pleasure11posted 12 years ago

If there is a will,there is a way .That's all I can say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)