How far should parents go in terms of disciplining their children?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (42 posts)
  1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 13 years ago

There are many disciplining styles and tactics that are available to parents.  But what is the line that separates acceptable and detestable?

1. lovelife08 profile image59
      lovelife08posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think sometimes children do things that warrant a time-out, and sometimes they do things that warrant a spanking.  I do NOT believe that spanking is a form of abuse.  Spanking and beating are not the same thing.  Abuse is wrong.  But being a Christian, I go by what the Bible says.  Spare the rod, spoil the child.  Not that I would actually use a rod on my child, no, to me, that is cutting it pretty close.

1. jpcmc profile image89
        jpcmcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got lots of spanking when I was a kid and it was not pleasant.  I guess, if we do spank kids we have to explain why.  Otherwise they won't understand why some behaviors are not accepted.  But ultimately, when is it too much?  What's the line between abuse and discipline?

1. lovelife08 profile image59
          lovelife08posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, explaining why is very important if you're going to spank them.  When spanking leaves bruises...is when it becomes abuse.  That is just my opinion.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Beating a child senseless, expecting him/her to act like a adult would be considered detestable. I gave time out and writing lines as punishment lol tongue they did not enjoy it knowing if they did it again, they would get double the writing lines wink

1. jpcmc profile image89

How long is your time out for your kids? My wife implements them at schools but would that work at home? Do educate me. 

Just to clarify, we're still waiting for our first child in a few weeks and i'm trying to learn as much as I can before that time.

3. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I only gave them about 10 mins time out and a apology. They would tell me - why mom gave them time out. Just to ensure they understood - same with the writing lines. Have them repeat to you helps reinforce remembering - sort of tongue lol I think the writing lines was the best tho smile Aww...congratulations on your upcoming baby smile

1. jpcmc profile image89

What's weird is that my undergraduate in college is in Family life and child development.  Yet, I seem to be having some fits of nervousness when it comes to my own children.  I guess theories can only do so much in real life.  thanks for the info.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you have some +++'s going for you since you understand that each child develops at their own pace. I think respect works both ways and may be the defining line. Congrats on your new addition! smile

1. jpcmc profile image89

Thanks rebekahELLE.  There are lots of what if's in my head when it comes to being a dad and having kids.  Just trying to cover all bases - or is this over intellectualizing?  The countdown is on and we're excited.

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Let em run amock till there about 7 then they will have got a lot of stuff out of their system.
    Seriously, love and patience is the only way with little ones. smile

1. jpcmc profile image89

Love yes, not a problem. Patience, well, I hope I have some.  But based on how I handle my nieces and nephews  think I'll do Ok.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I've found that a shock collar works best. It doesn't leave any marks or permanent injuries, and it gets their attention quickly! Wait...are we talking about kids or husbands??

Shock collars are for husbands - especially for the hard-to-train ones. I don't have to discipline kids because I'm the Nana!! I just give 'em what they want!

1. jpcmc profile image89

Shock collars, never thought of that  Can I use tazers instead  big_smile
      That's why kids love grandparents.

6. Monisajda profile image60
    Monisajdaposted 13 years ago

I have never had to revert to using spanking, hitting my children. Most of the time talking to them and listening to what bothers them was enough. I built a bond of trust over time with them and they know that if I say "NO" there is a good reason for that and they listen. In matters of lesser importance I let them have their choice so I never truly need to physically threaten them. Not my style.

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

My theory is that people who need to discipline their kids, are people who think kids are so stupid, they have to obey rules only, because kids are too dumb to understand explanation.

1. fetty profile image65
      fettyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We adopted a family after waiting 13 years for a family. We felt extremely blessed when three children were brought to our door by out state. They were free to be adopted if after our waiting period, we qualified and all of us wanted to be a family. The girl was 10 or 11, ( the state never got her age correct!), one boy was a whole five and the other boy was turning 7 years old in two and one-half months. The five year old tried to jump down a flight of stairs ( 13 steps ) as we were putting them to bed. The state never gave us the promised visits; they were thrust upon us after meeting these kids one time. The girl locked me out of my own home as I was saying good-bye to their social worker at 4 PM. that first Friday afternoon. The next day she kicked the eleven year old poodle so hard I thought she split his spleen. I am attempting to write a book about this entire experience. But, back to discipline - the five year old needed corporal punishment at specific times; the seven year old would cry or get watery eyes when we spoke loudly correcting his behavior.  We got the state to take back the sister , yes she was placed alone and that situation was what she always wanted. But, it hurt her brothers. Our psychologist backed us and we threatened to sue our state if they did not cooperate. ( Because they really wanted to keep these kids together - it was cheaper.) All are law abiding citizens but the road was very rocky. I am a former teacher of the handicapped. I was always a no-nonsense teacher. My students to this day walk up to me in malls and stores to say hello , "Do you remember me?" I firmly believe in some form of discipline . It must meet the crime and "No" must mean "No" because all children need boundaries. According to a wonderful professor back in my day, " We are the adults or big people , and they are the children. Most of the heavy lifting falls on our shoulders during their childhood. Because childhood is not a race but a journey and an adventure to adulthood". I loved that lady.

8. Monisajda profile image60
    Monisajdaposted 13 years ago

Use love a lot, discipline in a gentle way. Think of it how you would want to be treated by your father or mother. Besides, if you are expecting your first baby, you will have plenty of time to figure it all out, there is no discipline until you have a toddler, in my opinion. Baby has basic needs, toddler, on another hand, wants and desires things. You will not go wrong tending to your baby's needs, answer them, if she is hungry feed her, scared or lonely - hold her and rock her. Needing parent's arms is a REAL need in babies, you won't spoil them that way. Toddlers want to do things and have things or have their way. You will learn as you go. Good luck!

9. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

The most important thing to remember is to teach the child right from wrong in a decent firm but loving way. This does not mean refrain from a good old fashion spanking depending on their age and the offence if necessary.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4920934_f248.jpg

10. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

PS: Spanking and hitting are two different things. A spanking is discipline, hitting is child abuse.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4581468.jpg

11. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I didn't hit my kids, or my grandchildren, that is just bad parenting. Hitting or smacking is abuse.

My Dad hit me when I was little, I waited till he was asleep then hit him over the head with a large caste iron pot.
    Violence begets violence. smile
    Smacking is done instead of parenting.

1. superwags profile image67
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a little b****rd!

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're kidding, right?

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I don't see spanking as discipline, the very word means to instruct by teaching. what is the instruction?  Spanking is punishment, there is a difference, discipline doesn't mean to inflict pain.

13. mathair profile image61
    mathairposted 13 years ago

I am trained in the management of child behavour yet I too was terrified when my first child came along. I have learned that discipline in the classroom and discipline at home are two very different things. For one thing your children are with you 24/7 Good days and bad. Sick days or not! I've also learned that what works with one child may not necessarily work with the next. Time out never worked with my oldest daughter until she reached the age of about 4 and a half. She needed to be counted down and helped to calm down by giving her space in her room. My second child is immediately sorry for anything she does! She would be devastated by being put into her room. This does not mean that they are treated differently. They both receive consequences for their actions and rewards and praise for good behaviour.

1. jpcmc profile image89

My undergrad is in Family Life and Child Development but when I think about being a dad, all theories seem to be inadequate.  I still have a couple of weeks until the baby comes out and a few more years before I need to employ behavior modification tactics.  smile There is mix of excitement and a little fear.  I guess that's good for first time dads.

1. mathair profile image61
        mathairposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Enjoy every minute of your little one. They grow up so so quickly!

1. jpcmc profile image89

I will definitely enjoy every minute.  I just hope they don't grow too fast. smile

14. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"I need to employ behavior modification tactics" Hope that's a joke. If your child needs modification it would be because you need it first.

1. jpcmc profile image89

Of course it is.  Do tell me more about why I need modification first when my child needs it.  What are your ideas about it especially in terms of discipline?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Behavior modification is another word for 'teaching'--just doing it in a very orderly and consistent manner.

15. force of habit profile image60
    force of habitposted 13 years ago

As a child, my father believed in the saying, "Spare the rod and spoil the child..."

I was spanked when I did things which probably deserved more than that. It was not the spanking that hurted most. It was the feeling that you had disappointed your parents. I now understand that it was hard for my father to spank me when half of him wanted to hit me hard while the other half was pulling back. I crashed the car which I drove without his permission and without a license when I was 12 or 13. He spoke to me and I did not receive any punishment despite the fact that he had to spend a substantial amount of cash for the repair. On the other hand, I was punished until I told the truth when he knew i was lying. Guess times are different now... streets were safer then and people cared more. You may disagree but this is my opinion...

16. chald profile image61
    chaldposted 13 years ago

This is a tricky subject for every parent, What one family decides as acceptable punishment for them another family may detest.  Families need to disapline children in a way that is right for them. Disapline needs to be consistent, I believe that if children know the consequences of their actions, they are more likely to sorry for what they have done, but if your disapline changes, I find that children will rebel.
    I find that my children are creatures of habit, they need their routines to stay fairly stable or otherwise I have 3 very hard to get on with little people, I also tend to find they will act up if they are bored.
    I guess what I am trying to say that if you can find the triggers of naughty or trying behaviour, you generally shouldn't need to disapline.
    All being said I believe that it is important for children to know right from wrong, so our family has a list of "family rules" up on our fridge, the rules were decided in one of our weekly family meetings (the time that we put aside each week out of our busy lives to just sit down and talk about how we feel, and about how things have worked in the past week) If one of these rules are broken, the children know that they will either be put into time out (1 minute for each year of their age - so my 8 year old goes to time out for 8 minutes, my 7 year old goes to time out for 7 minutes) or they will have to go clean their room.
    We did not start to place our children into time out until they were 1.
    And as I said before, you may read this and think what a tough set of parents, and that is because as I said before each family does what works for them. I find with the rules and consequenses firmly in place we hardly disapline our children at all perhaps twice a month.

17. profile image52
    ForYourInfoposted 12 years ago

A little bit toughness is required for a good and well disciplined childhood development.But sometimes they also need some break and some space to to do whatever they want to.Well behavior is the must.

18. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Spoil em senseless with your time till they're 7 then you can turn them lose.

You will find you have well adjusted kids just by listening to them.

Don't damage them with harsh parenting and you won't pay for it later in life.

19. SharkFuel profile image56
    SharkFuelposted 12 years ago

On the one hand, it is bad for parents to be very kind with kids. One the other hand, it is bad to be too strict. I think that a golden mean should be found between kindness and strictness in parenting.

20. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

My grandfather  had a strap ,  it hung on the wall like a picture.
    Many times  my cousins, my brother and i  were taken  to stand in front of it while grandfather   asked you boys want the strap? His face stern and  angry. then you  settle down and go outside and play. before it comes off the wall.
    Not once  tho  did he ever have to use it.
    Good or bad ?  Hard to say. . But i know this i look back on those days  fondly .
    ray

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

aware,  I love this story.  Just by showing you the strap your grandfather got you to behave.  Awesome use of psychology.  I think it was very, very good.

21. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I've never found a good enough reason to spank my kids. I'm not a strict parent and my kids have always had plenty of freedom, even to make mistakes.  I've tried the best way I know to give them a good foundation, teach them right from wrong, and that their actions, whether good or bad, have consequences. The rest is up to them. I don't think yelling or hitting works. It didn't work for me when I was a kid. I just learned to tune it out. To me the difference between discipline and abuse is that discipline teaches the child something. Abuse is just the infliction of pain which does nothing but leave some kind of physical or emotional damage or trauma to the child.

22. profile image0
    yangaboyposted 12 years ago

It ain't easy to bring up and nurture a child in an all upright way but there should be certain measure we shouldn't use like swear words on the child, indecent abuses and child discrimination. It's okay to spank the child for something done wrong by him or her. It takes understanding and wisdom to train up a child. That's why we should ask God for guidance that we shouldn't train her children in a negative that they become menace to you and the society in general. Train up the child the way you want to grow and when he is.... The rest is history.

23. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

There are so many rude unruly children around now as a lot of parents are too scared to discipline their children when they are young . As they get older if brought up well they appreciate being taught how to behave ,
    Some children are not taught any manners or social skills at home & it is left up to a shool teacher.
    Smacking a child /(   not hitting till bruised) when needed can save their lives  --( if they are about to run out onto on a road or chcking a tantrum in a shop action is needed then & there not when they get home ) and it didn't do us any harm.

24. HennieN profile image61
    HennieNposted 12 years ago

I believe that the key thing to remember is what your goal would be with the discipline.

I believe there is a time for spanking, time out and all the other wonderful consequences we come up with. However, we just need to remember that the child must learn something from this experience.

Discipline is normally a consequence of a choice. Talk to the child and work through othere choices that could have been made. This will allow the child to learn from this process.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)