Do you truly think your body image is accurate?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

I have never been comfortable with my body image.  I am not terribly photogenic, and am lucky to present a 'pretty face' to the world. I'll go through rolls and rolls of film to find an image of myself that I want to present to the world.  Some folks disagree with me-especially my mom!-but it is so ingrained that I don't meet the beauty standards in society that I've never quite gotten over this insanity.  How do you 'measure up?'  Are you truly comfortable with your physical appearance?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Beauty is more than skin deep. You of all people should know this. Not to mention, perceptions of others is always skewed by what one does, which is compare themselves to the object they are looking at.
      My mother has the same outlook you do and yet, she is a very beautiful lady, when you look at her complete make-up. wink
      It should be YOUR standards and understanding of beauty that matters. What other people think of your looks shouldn't really matter, unless you're unhealthy and they are trying to help you to become healthy.
      I've never measured up with what society's standard was/is and it took me plenty of years to finally understand, before I accepted myself.
      I am now, even with the supposed issues others tell me I have. It shows me that they don't understand. That's all. wink

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

No, not at all comfortable, ever.

Now, after succeeding in losing most of my vastly excess weight for the second time round, I still see myself as fat most times I look in the mirror.

I also am not photogenic in general. My current avatar photo was the result of a "makeover" session, so I had expert make-up and hair styling, and then was photographed with proper use of lighting etc. Even so, only 4 or 5 out of the 50 resulting pictures were acceptable! When it is a matter of casual snaps, I stand no chance whatsoever.

lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I once had one of those photo-'makeover' sessions for a new boyfriend who encouraged it with anticipation and male'pride', somehow!  It was really a disaster, I mean I was trying to impress him with lingerie shots which showed every nook and cranny of my body-not even close to a size 0!  (Try size 16!!!)  In the end, I also found one or two head shots that made me feel kinda pretty.  The rest of them-probably 30/40 or so-were honestly embarrassing-at least to me.  He said they were hot. Men seem to be so silly in their visuality. Yikes!  smile  I am honestly not trying to 'diss' all men here, but that's how it seems our society has programmed us.
      My profile pic was taken around a year ago by my hubby, whom I completely adore, so perhaps that's why I like it.  WriteAngled, I completely relate to your story-wish I could lose so much weight!  And I am not really heavy at all, but feel I am...
      I absolutely hate the camera and it certainly hates me!

3. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I hate my image, so much that it has been years since I have looked at my face in a mirror.  I have been diagnosed as having body dysmorphic disorder, but I don't believe this is the case, because my face really is ugly.  BDD would only be possible if I had an attractive face, but thought it was ugly.  I haven't allowed anyone to take my photograph for ten years and I avoid anything that is reflective, whether windows or pots and pans, because I find my reflection very distressing.

1. profile image0
      Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes wonder if I am the only man who experiences these feelings.  Every person I know personally or read about that really hate the way they look are women.  Surely there must be some other men out there who feel this way.  Having said that, most men I know love the way they look, even the really ugly ones.  I wonder why the way men and women perceive themselves is so different and why some  men believe that any woman who does not find them attractive must therefore be a lesbian.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I think I have a different view of my body than how it really looks smile I saw my upper arms in an elevator recently and couldn't understand how my mothers arms got there...

lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh GAWD, UV, I know exactly what you mean-though it's my mom's 'turkey neck' and her hands.  Oh, and the stink-eye deal, you know?? wink

5. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Society still places a much greater emphasis on women's looks and it is SO hard not to buy into that! Especially as we get older and are surrounded by younger women with firmer bodies and smoother skin who don't have to squint when they are reading small print or who don't have to get up for the bathroom 2 or 3 times a night.

It is hard not to buy into the idea that if you have a few wrinkles or gray hairs you are somehow less worthy when actually, we have the wisdom of our years in our favor - or at least, that's the way we should be seen.

6. Chaotic Chica profile image62
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

My image has changed as I have.  When I was younger I had major body issues, at least I thought I was accurate at the time but looking back I realized I was wrong.  I used to think I never measured up, even after the service toned me up I still saw flaws. Not terrible flaws, I wasn't too blind to see my assets and know that my body was strong but I couldn't get around to using the word beautiful.

As I got older I appreciated my strengths more but I'm not blind to my flaws.  Right now I am very unhappy with my body but I know it's because I am unhealthy and I am getting excellent medical care to correct that.

As far as my face, well that hasn't changed much over the years and I don't like many of my photographs.  I started figuring out the magic of make-up a few years ago but, more importantly, I figured out the magic of my photography editing software program! LOL

7. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I grew up believing that I was ugly.  My older sister is beautiful and all my relatives would say how beautiful my sister was.  When I was a kid, it didn't bother me as I was a tomboy then mainly because all my playmates were boys.. no little girls to play with. But it did when I grew up, and it hurt.  Then I discovered makeup.  Yay!  With makeup, I transformed myself to "almost" pretty. When I was married, I went from size 7 to size 16.  My husband loved to cook and loved to try new recipes.  When he died, I went into depression and lost 35 lbs, so now I'm back to size 7.  But I would gladly have the extra weight and keep my husband.  For him, I always looked beautiful and I felt beautiful.  They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... so true, so true. 

My pic is really me.  But no one would know me if they bumped into me in person, as I am just photogenic.  Seriously!  I attended one of those get-together in my friendship internet site and one woman pointed at my friend with me saying "You, you look like your picture."  And then turned to me, pointed at me, and said "But you, you don't look like your picture."  Talk about most embarrassing moment!

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

hmm, this is sad to read. Sherlock, I'm sure you are not ugly. Gosh, ugly is such an ugly word..
    We are not our face or our image. We are our whole self.

I know we all look in the mirror and see our 'faults'(or what we perceive as faults), but it's not our true essence. It's being human. Beauty comes from within. I wish more humans could see their own beauty and worth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)