I'd like feedback on my article: Torrent Dangers Everyone Should Know To Keep...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. vsajewel profile image68
    vsajewelposted 5 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Torrent Dangers Everyone Should Know To Keep Botnets Off Your Network. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's what I call an article smile

I suspect the problem lies with some of those links. If you are linking to your own work elsewhere, it will be viewed as self-promotional.

vsajewelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your help! I know its a lot to read. The topic is the reason I began writing online...I felt others should know about this. So it was my first post 8 years ago...and it was pretty awful in terms of writing. I write a lot and think I've improved a lot in 8 years...but clearly I still have a long way to go. So that had remained unpublished for a long time since I came from Squidoo, but I finally had the energy and time to tackle it. 

I've been working on cleaning it up and improving the writing for days now.

What I've done so far after the first...this could be featured email.

1st
        Reworked several sections I hadn't really changed before submitting it the first time...thinking they were in my older style and then everything would be current.

2nd
        I removed the only 3 books I recommended which are updated  of my favorite networking saftey books. I thought that the Amazon module might be the problem. The 3 books I felt were necessary because they address the same topic but for different levels...beginners, intermediate and advanced...all of the books I own,  all are excellent and all very inexpensive to free (Kindle unlimited.) So there are no Amazon modules or product recommendations.

3rd
        I removed all 4 links to my personal website. 2 were to my new Firewall series...that one is painful because there isn't any other content like this online and its so important for people to know about.

In fact there's so much information that's just becoming available now about residential firewalls, that that I'm doing it in parts. I only have parts 1 and 2  done so far. They are both quite long, but have no products of promotions because they are introductory primers to what you need to know to understand Firewalls.

I have a free site at wordpress which can't be monetized in anyway so I don't profit personally from this work. Although the hope would be to continue that someday in the future I might. The new residential appliances in part prompted me to do this now. We have a commercial grade firewall that's very expensive....we're on our 3rd one actually...I can't imagine what kind of feedback I'd get if I included an Amazon module for ours!

The other link was to a more personal post about how this all impacted me. Its part of my 'about me' section at my site. Those both appeared in 2 places (which I hadn't realized!) So now there are NO LINKS to my work at my main site.

...but I still do mention the Firewalls with no link because its really important. If I could link to something else I would...but there's nothing other than manufacturers sites promising their small firewalls will be coming soon. Do you think that could be the problem? 

If it is then I guess I don't understand what they mean by promotional  because I think of that as something different. However the fact that you mention makes me think that might be the problem!

4th
        The last think I did was remove a longer explanation for one of the graphics...it was a longer credit to the source essentially that I included because I thought it was interesting. But it really had nothing to do with the main subject.

5th
        Actually there was one more thing I did. as I removed some old content I looked for new to replace it and in the process found some things I hadn't ever discussed before but felt they were important enough to add...making it even longer.  But from everything I'd read, too long was never an issue but too short was. Maybe i'm wrong about that?

Thank you for your help and suggestions! I'm sorry this is a bit long too!

2. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

very informative, maybe add  in polls, videos and callouts

Hi,

Thanks so much for the suggestions! It’s a long piece and I thought I had added at least one of each, but upon revisting I hadn’t included a poll.  So I added that and then reorganized and rewrote some more and added a 2nd callout. I'm guessing one shouldn’t overuse these right?

One additional question if you don’t mind...I never really used polls in the past but was really interested here and was thinking of doing a couple more because it seems like only one question per poll is allowed. Do you think it would be weird to have more than one? Thanks again!

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

to pass qap, this article could be half as long
    this sentence, for example, "One thing that's important for me to mention is that this process is less automatic now than it was several years ago", could be "This process is less automatic now,"
    try reading strunk
    this goes on the entire article

it would also help to have some sort of outline, as the material was jumbled and hard to follow
    why is the prolouge at the very end?
    why do you keep mentioning that you have written about this before?

Thanks so much for your ideas. Somehow I missed this before. The reply I wrote above answers your question I think. Other than the Prologue point you made which was a great find! Thanks!  I was sleepy and just goofed that up. So I really appreciate bringing it to my attention!

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I agree with what others have said.  You have some great info here, but I think you need to be ruthless with your editing. Think about what people are looking for in this article. They are not so interested in your family and the background of how you came to write it. They are looking for practical advice they can use. I am not saying you should remove everything personal, you still want to be relatable.

Sorry I was in a hurry when I discovered you had provided your helpful insight. I understand completely the points you make and you're probably right! I've been evaluating whether or not to remain here since I don't seem to spend the time necessary to be successful,and the learning curve seems HUGE!

I was on Squidoo and my early work was automatically ported here when they shutdown. At the same time I began my own site because that learning curve had also been steep and I was frustrated with having to learn an entirely new platform...actually 2 since there was also a lot of learning involved in starting my own website. But there I've developed a really awesome following of people who enjoy my longer, personal story wrapped into some of the content I write. I realize it's not for everyone and am beginning to realize it simply won't work here.

If publishing to earn income were my only goal it might be a great platform for me. But developing a community of like minded people seems impossible here without being able to individualize what you write in your own voice and style. I take great pains to provide really complete coverage of a topic along with useful links and resources and accurate details that I'm constantly updating. I may spend several weeks writing one post. When I've completed it I'm pretty certain no additional tweaking is necessary. I really pour my heart into each new piece.

The end result of finding an email  telling me that I need to change it but offering no useful indication of why, and spending days removing and rewriting something that didn't need it in my view is just frustrating when I could have already been published and getting feedback and have moved onto to the next thing I'm writing about.

I've never tried the option of posting to this forum because I think I already knew what the feedback would be. Your comments along with others has helped me to recognize that Hugpages may not be for everyone.

[color+#ff0000]Thank you[color] again for taking the time to offer your insight and even bothering to read my very long piece which I'm [b]sure[b] is a topic you wouldn't have sought out in your own!

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
        Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry to hear that your take away from our advice is that HP is not for you. I was not at all saying that you should not individualize your hub or use your own voice. My own hubs are very conversational in tone.

The thing is, most successful hubs provide some kind of practical information, which yours does. But that information also has to be easy to find. Some personal anecdotes are fine, you just want to make sure people can find the answers they are looking for.

Also, people who are having computer problems are often frustrated, and have a bit of tunnel vision. It's not just for the money either, but to also to share your knowledge and  help people who can benefit from your experience.

I'm sorry too, because I didn't intend for my reply to sound negative in any way towards Hubpages or earning an income from it. I need to go read some of your writing  to better understand how you do that. I also recognize that my writing isn't as polished as I'd like because I'll always be learning.

But the thing is I am lucky to have found an audience that appreciates how and what I write currently. It feels like here I'm beating myself up by trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. I have given it a considerable amount of time (3years) and effort.

My practice of updating things every year has actually hurt me here because something may have been featured and my updating of it, which does oftentimes involve a lot of re-writing because I now see how it could be better than I did the previous year, causes it to go from featured to 'unfeatured' as it did in this case.

The fact is that I do write really long articles both here and at my site most of the time, because that's just the way I write and because of the topics themselves too. Sometimes I break a piece down in multiple parts at my site...I don't know how that would fly here and I'm afraid to put in the effort to find out. Even then though the parts can be relatively long.

Wordpress does not offer any kind of Automatic Table of Contents, which would help me tremendously. It doesn't appear Hubpages does either.  So that leaves me with just an outline and/or good titles. I try to make each section's title useful. I haven't created an outline here because personally I find those useless unless they really function as a true Toc and each entry takes you to that section. And before I updated this it was featured.

My understanding is that using jumplinks is frowned upon here. While it would be very cumbersome  to manually create a ToC using the jumplinks method, I can at least utilize jump-links at WordPress to take people to the most important sections.

My article about torrenting is a tricky subject because most people have never heard of it. Added to that is the complication that it isn’t addressing computer problems per se, but rather network problems which are a much more complex topic and which encompass so many more elements than a simple computer problem may. When you throw in the 3rd factor...botnets...which once again is not very well recognized phenomenon and you begin to see I hope how the length arises. Our own experience with this is important for many reasons, and I weave it throughout to keep readers interested in what might otherwise be very dry and boring content. At least that's my goal! Whether or not I've accomplished it is the question at hand!

Apparently I had achieved that balance and something I did during the updating and rewriting of it caused this balance to be upset. This isn’t the first time this has occurred and I doubt will be the last. But it’s is heartening to spend a long time improving and updating something, only to find your efforts were a complete waste of time.

Because now, having it changed to unfeatured, as I understand it, means it won’t appear in Google searches. So if I want to keep this content available to the public...which I absolutely do because it’s so important...I need to look at the best way to do that. The days I spent improving and updating it, were in my mind necessary or I wouldn’t have taken time away from other things to do it. I'm really busy in that I work at this 24/7. I can’t justify sinking more and more time into this piece, or really any one of them, blindly...not knowing if that time will make a difference in the end.

So it’s really more a matter of how can I make sure this piece remains available to the public and where my time is best spent. Because of the subject matter of this post, I've given it a huge effort here...more than I would have had  it been a different topic...but I've failed. Yours and Dr. Mark's feedback (over 50%) seem to indicate a major rewrite is what’s needed. But because that’s what I just undertook, it’s not possible to do again. The problem with really long pieces like this is that rewrites take really long too. Every aspect just takes much longer.

My own Google ranking is good and my audience hasn’t really been introduced to this topic (by me at least!) I was intending to write a shorter piece at my main site linking to this...but now it seems to make more sense to just rewrite parts of this for that purpose and republish it there instead. Does that make sense?

Once again, I really appreciate your feedback and I don't want you to think that this in anyway is a negative thing. I would have done the updating regardless. I wouldn’t have spent the subsequent hours trying to get it featured again in retrospect because I've been down this path before. I think in the future when something is 'defeatured' as a result of my updating it I'll just cut my losses early and republish it at one of my sites instead. That's not the course I would have chosen because this seems like  a great community, but it’s sort of been chosen for me I think. Nothing is static...Hubpages is evolving and I am too. Hopefully those are both good things in the end.

4. vsajewel profile image68

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

5. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I think you need to review that comment about further tweaking. When most of us finish, we are happy with our work and feel there is no need for further tweaking. When we have our article reviewed by an editor, or other writers here on the forums that agree to help, they find that some words are used too often, some words are misspelled, there are grammatical errors, etc.
    No one, no matter how good a writer he or she might be, can write perfectly without some editing.

It is not a good idea to just drop a piece and go on to the next project. A successful article should be written so that it is helpful now and in the years to come, and should be the best work that you are capable of.

6. vsajewel profile image68

I'm sorry if something has given you the impression that I think my work is beyond reproach and reworking. I've been continually reworking it and adding or removing things you all have mentioned in your feedback. Have you really read my replies in full? I've tried to convey that your feedback as well as everyone else’s has been VERY valuable to me. If I gave you a different impression, I’m sorry, I didn’t intend that at all. I very much appreciate ALL the feedback! Thank You!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)