Rick Perry's Astounding Ignorance of Economic Policy

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (150 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Perry accuses Bernanke of treason for FED efforts to stave off recession.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/us/po … perry.html

1. Jed Fisher profile image70
      Jed Fisherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have looked into what the Fed has been doing, and I have come to the same conclusion, Fed policy is destroying America. Quantitative Easing and zero interest rates for the Banksters are not benefical to America and assist in the continued extraction of wealth from this country.
      Current Fed policy eliminates the American middle class by denying the next generation any resonable access to capital, and done for an exteneded period of time, will crush the middle class completely and put an end to upward mobilty in American society.

Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Fed's low short-term interest rate is the second line of defense against a recession. The first is government spending. That is orthodox economics accepted by just about all economists.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ralph: Interest rates MEAN something.

Sure, with the rates at 0% (for 3+ years, it looks like it's going to be 5+) NUMBERS will go up. People WILL be employed, things WILL be built.

But it won't be sustainable. People aren't saving money; resources aren't being produced to aide production; money is losing value...

there HAS to be a bust. It's not just "the Austrian Business Cycle", it's "logic".

The fed is manufacturing a horrendous bust. It will be a triple dip - but this one's going to be big because they can't really inflate much more - gold is already at 1830/oz.

Paper isn't money because it doesn't sustain value (this last comment seems irrelevant to the idiots who are making the busts, but not to people who understand that interest rates mean something).

Buy a gun, start a garden, and guy silver/gold. It sounds stupid, but it's true.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
            Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uh Huh

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
          uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

These ideas are the ones accepted by the mechanistic, Keynesians but not Monetarist, Neo-Classical, Chicago School or Austrian School economists.  Keynesians got it wrong during the last Depression they caused and they are getting it wrong now.

3. American View profile image61
          American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Defense on Recession. So hows that working out?

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Quanitative Easing would be called monetizing the debt if it were done in a Zimbabwe.  It is a dangerous notion but one loved by those who believe that a centrally directed economy is a good idea.

2. profile image62
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and how did that staving off recession go in your part of the country?
      Not so well here.

Nor here, thanks to the Republicans' refusal to permit a sufficiently large stimulus package and Obama's ineffectual leadership.

1. American View profile image61

700 billion not enough? Maybe this next one Obama wants can be 3 trillion, that way we can raise the debt ceiling again.

3. profile image0
      erikjohnsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He is cut from the same cloth as Bush.  At least he can pronounce simple words better than Bush could.  I doubt he has a shot at the presidency.  But lets face it....The GOP is bringing a bunch of Taxi drivers to the show.  They need to bring some real candidates to the table.  Sure people complain about Obama.  But what options do we have?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anything but Obama is a great option. He needs to take more vacations because every time he speaks the market loses money. He really is a disaster.

4. uncorrectedvision profile image60

He did not accuse Bernanke of treason.  Fact is fact.

2. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Since Rick Perry's wife goes to our gym in Austin I get to hear all about their european Yacht cruises, holidays overseas, new house purchases, etc, etc. nice to glean a look in to the lives of policians lol. It doesn't seem like they are getting hit too hard by teh recession lol, or at least their expense accounts are not.  It seems like they do a hell of a lot on what his wage is meant to be.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

He's right!

Too bad that HE gets the media spotlight even though Ron Paul has been saying this for 20+ years!

It's pretty obvious that Perry is just saying this to strip fans from Ron Paul in the future Romney/Perry v. Obama/Biden election. Too bad he doesn't have a history of such rhetoric to stand on like Paul does.

The media sucks. So does the Fed.

Ron Paul 2012.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul in 2012 - Not going to happen.

Only if you choose to vote for the lesser of two evils instead of a good person.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Which one of those man-made islands does Ron Paul want to be president of?

I hope you'll remember Paul in 5 years when the economy tanks again.

Why?  Are you saying he'll no longer be with us?

Did you notice he thanked the person you desribed as a super liberal?  You should understand these terms before tossing them into a conversation.

Be a bit more clear in your arguments. This last post was a bit to vague for me to reply to.

Well I agree partly. Paul sure has rhetoric, no record, but plenty of rhetoric

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Perry is another Bush. Plain and simple. The US doesn't need another Bible thumping moron who believes in talking snakes and thinks the economy can recover through prayer.

Bush is a Rhodes scholar compared to this nitwit.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and all this time I thought Bush was a Rhode Island red rooster with a suit on, or FogHorn LegHorn. smile

http://petcaretips.net/foghorn_henery.jpg

No, he's the chicken hawk...

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perry did get a D in Economic Principles when he was in college, so  I wouldn't expect him to know much more than what he's been told by tea partiers or some fed conspiracy documentary.

Perry is worse than Bush.

At least Bush did not sell off parts of the country to foriegn governments like Perry did

Like Perry did?

Perry has sold several highways and toll roads, several properties once owned by the state, not ot mention TXU, our utlities provider.  As a Texas resident it ticks me off we pay tolls to a foreign entity when out tax payer monies paid in full to build those roads
              http://www.zimbio.com/Governor+J.+Richa … exas+Roads
              http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=282869

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
                Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well?  The costs are probably still included in our debt, so they are probably not paid.

There is maintenance to consider.

Actually Texas has a gas tax that goes into a fund for future roads. A road is not started unless it is paid for at the start or by its completion. Exceptions are road that are paid for but may need to expand before funding will be available, those roads get tolls. Like In Dallas, 121 and the North Dallas Tollway have tolls, but have just went through years of exteding those roads and added bridges over many miles. Without the tolls the roads never would have been extended. 121 was sold to Citra of Spain and has a 50 year contract to collect tolls

That is the road that will allow cargo to be unloaded in Mexico and shipped throughout the States?

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

Are you from Texas? The interesting thing about those toll roads is there is alternate route. We don't have to use them and judging the traffic I see when I am on them not many people do. I use the toll road when I am in a hurry because there is no traffic.

In case you did not know, Bush and Perry hate each other. There are not even close as to being the same

5. Mcham Law profile image60
    Mcham Lawposted 12 years ago

and yet the Texas economy is doing so much better than the rest of the country...that nitwit may be on to something...

Texas is benefiting from oil and from cheap labor. This has little or nothing to do with Perry. The state is at or near the bottom on education and other public services, literacy, etc.

That evil federal stimulus didn't hurt either.  Perry had his snout in the trough as soon as it was filled.

You're right: the QEs, the bailouts, and the 0% interest rates have done squat....

... why do we keep listening to the status quo? Why do we make fun of those who have the correct arguments?

Ron Paul 2012.

2. Hugh Williamson profile image74
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gov. Perry didn't seem to have a problem requesting and accepting 17 Billion in stimulus dollars for his state. He rejected federal funds for unemployment benefits as being "too restrictive." Then, as his unemployment fund was running dry, he borrowed money from the Federal gov't to cover the shortfall. Great fiscal strategy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- … 03544.html

We all wish for a miracle candidate who will fix everything - such a candidate doesn't exist. As for Perry - he just dissolved on contact.

Keep looking.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Ah, liberal Keynesian economists!

When: Things go against what you think is true, make up an argument that seems plausible to deny it.

When: Things are seeming to go properly, say that it's because you're awesome.

When: Everyone begins to notice that your policies are doing NOTHING, demand that it's because we didn't do your policies ENOUGH (Krugman wanted a $10 trillion increase in the money supply).

It's called "Confirming Bias". The Austrian School is well aware of the game.

Why doesn't Krugman want to debate Robert Murphy, even though there's some $70,000 that would be donated to charity if he just debated Murphy?

-- It's because KRUGMAN IS WRONG.
        http://krugmandebate.com/
        http://www.thepoint.com/campaigns/campaign-0-1240

"Why doesn't Krugman want to debate Robert Murphy, even though there's some $70,000 that would be donated to charity if he just debated Murphy?
          "It's because KRUGMAN IS WRONG."

Evan, in addition to your other talents, are you claiming to be a mind reader?

Murphy is the economist equilavent of an ant crawling up an elephant's (Krugman) leg intent on rape.

1. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59
            Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that!

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

70,000 to a charity isn't worth the effort of smashing an ant?

Krugman has been proven wrong time after time after time. Quit praying to your messiah and wake up.

The. Stimulus. Hasn't. Worked. At. All.

4. BillWest165 profile image56
        BillWest165posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oil and cheap labor. Two things democrats hate. Economies don't work on no energy and expensive Union labor.

It's amazing to me how the right-wing propaganda machine has been so utterly effective in bamboozling the misinformed voter with their  continued short term solutions for the quickest  buck—while Americans sink deeper into the crapper and then blame Obama.

All we have to do is look at our mutual horizon  and realize that America no longer plans for our future—or more importantly, for our grand kids' futures. 

A hotter planet; TV and the internet fueling the overwhelming desires  of a burgeoning middle class throughout  India, China and Brazil—all creating  an out of control  demand for polluting resources this planet doesn't have.

And what is the Conservative answer?—it's not to "conserve" or invest in energy efficient alternatives; or increase our R&D for new ways to  deal with our overpopulation or our deteriorating infrastructure and our disillusioned youth.

No, the right-wingers think it's all about cheap oil and cheap labor—even though cheap labor drove all of the manufacturing to the countries where cheaper labor could be exploited—while big international oil conglomerates (loyal only to themselves and not this country) have bribed our capitulating  politicians into giving them corporate welfare.

Simple-minded solutions for the simple-minded—welcome to The United Corporations of America where crapitalism trumps democracy at every turn and people just want to run away from  their fears and anxiety with yet more escapist toys and can conveniently project their blame onto a foriegn-fathered mulatto President whom they resent because . . . you pick the reason!

My reason is that he is incompetent.

Not if you compare him to George W. Bush and what he inherited from that fool!

He inherited a better economy and lower unemployment. What say you?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
                  Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say Dubya did too!  lol  What is your point?

Actually Bush inherited an economy going into recession and slowed it down, lets not forget the faux surplus democrats like to attribute to Clinton.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Let me guess, you voted for Dubya, didn't you?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't check your profile first or I wouldn't have had to ask.  Palin too?  lol

Sure did, did you expect me to deny it?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

No, of course not.  But I do expect you do deny any responsibility for electing a guy responsible for thousands dying in Iraq, both Americans and even more innocent Iraqi civilians.  Not to mention a huge expenditure from our treasury into the VP's old company.  You helped enable all of these things with your choice.  And now YOU cast blame on a guy trying to mend your guys blunders?  lol  Texas, I should have known.  lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

+1

Hotter Planet?

Per the scietists, our earth is warming due to polutuion. Interesting. See the same scientists said in my youth that pollution is sending the earth into another ice age for the earth was cooling each years. Sorry, they cannot have it both ways. The reality is the earth goes through warming and cooling cycles. They are based on the earth cycle aroung the sun. In some cycles, earth passes closer to the sun, in otheres it cycles fruther than the sun. PERIOD. the rest is just Dem spin to propose EPA regulations on businesses or to push for some other regulation.Remember in the 70s coal driven power plants were emitting to much co2 and polution the EPA regulated coal plant emmissions because they were contributing to the upcoming ice age.. Today, Obama wants to close Coal plants for they are emmitting way to much co2s and pollution they are creating global warming. Perhaps it is because the Dems have been against the Coal industry for more than 50 years. Perfect example of why I say you cannot have it both ways. It's amazing to me how the left-wing propaganda machine has been so utterly effective in bamboozling the misinformed voter. Hmmm that sounds familiar.

"And what is the Conservative answer?—it's not to "conserve" or invest in energy efficient alternatives; or increase our R&D for new ways to  deal with our overpopulation or our deteriorating infrastructure and our disillusioned youth"

R&D to conserve our overpopulation? I am affraid to address this one. Are you hinting at population and procreation interferece or monitoring by our Government? Is that what the dems are wanting to do?

And when have the youth of America not been disallusioned. Do you remember the youth protests of the 60s and 70s? Those Disallusioned eventually became our leaders and business owners. Seem to me they turn out alright.

Our deterierating infrustucture did not happen overnight. It took many years and numerous administrations of being ignored by both Dems and Repubs. So much for it being the conservatives fault.

More denial of the facts; continue arguing for your limitations,  your narrow-minded focus and  ideological biases, and behold — they're  yours!

Your name would more aptly be: "Jaundiced American View."

As in typical wizzy fashion, attack and name call when he cannot dispute the facts. The Wiz needs to ease on down the road.

I can easily refute your so called "facts"—ninety-eight percent of the top scientists on the planet agree that both poles are melting at alarming rates and the effects will be catastrophic and irreversible.  The oceans are rising and with more autos and coal-fired energy coming to the China & India alone,  what I spoke of will happen.  And your ideological pig-headeness is another empirical fact.

Show a credible source showing 98% agree on global warming. You cannot because such statements are nothing but opinion mostly on blogs and media reports.

"The oceans are rising and with more autos and coal-fired energy coming to the China & India alone,  what I spoke of will happen"

So you admit what you spoke of, well what you spoke of is not facts. Here are real facts on China plants. A report in 2007 claimed that China was opening a new cola plant every week. While that is far from true, what is true is that China is building plants more eco friendly with much less pollution emissions then those built in the US

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/world … 1coal.html

So much for your "thoughts". Do some research instead of trying to pass your "thoughts" as facts. And as always, you continue to spin and name call, those do not make anything true either.

2. American View profile image61

Here is just one contridiction in the scientific community. We were all lead to believe the aresol cans lead to global warming. Then the EPA pushed for a ban or changes in aresol cans. Here is a scientist from NASA who says the global cooling that started in 1945 and did not change till 1978 was caused by aresol cans. Gotta love how the scientic community agrees with each other, but even more is how the EPA and government will pick and choose reports to push there agenda.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Featur … ature4.php

6. Hugh Williamson profile image74
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

Evan G Rogers wrote: "...the QEs, the bailouts, and the 0% interest rates have done squat...."

I certainly agree with this. These may keep the economy breathing while a cure is sought but they certainly are no long term solution.

Real prosperity is created mainly through farming, mining and manufacturing. The Mfg'ing sector is where we need a huge effort to be made. Domestic manufacturing, that is, not U.S. companies who make profits on cheap foreign labor in their overseas facilities.

Ridding the economy of the entrenched and self-serving foes of real prosperity will have to be done by the voters. No messiah is going to do it for us.

7. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years ago

Rick Perry's K Street Project Sought Earmarks, Federal Funds

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 … 29584.html

8. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59

http://www.truth-out.org/texas-ranks-de … 1313595007

Texas Ranks Dead Last in Total Job Creation, Accounting for Labor Force Growth

Government can't create jobs. Any politician who runs on a "I created jobs" platform will only prove to be a flip-flopping tyrant.

Evan, the government can and does create jobs building and repairing roads and bridges, schools, sending rockets to the moon and through its purchases of various goods and services in the public interest (usually, in the public interest).

You see the jobs, but you don't see the jobs that were taken.

The government had to forcefully take the money from people, then throw it through the beareucratic nightmare, overspend on resources, and then finally start building a road using a non-market pricing system.

Also, the roads might not have been needed (along with the rest). The resources probably could have been sent in a more pressing manner.

It takes more money for governments to build roads than it does for the market, and thus jobs weren't created, they were destroyed.

You're a victim of the unseen. I highly recommend "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt.

2. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59

"Government can't create jobs. Any politician who runs on a "I created jobs" platform will only prove to be a flip-flopping tyrant.

From a Rick Perry / Office of the Governor Press Release:

"Gov. Rick Perry today attributed the strength of the Texas economy to low taxes, a reasonable and predictable regulatory climate and an educated workforce, which together have helped Texas employers lead the nation in job creation. The governor spoke at a luncheon for the Waco Chamber of Commerce, where he also announced a $350,000 Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF) investment in Green Star LED, and a $2.5 million Texas Emerging Technology Fund (TETF) investment in ViroXis Corp."

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/15286/

so you agree?

Evan I alway admire your exuberance and constancy to your ideology, but you are incorrigibly delusional if you have interpreted my post as agreeing with you. 

You have only one tool in your tool-belt and you try to use it as a solution to every problem you encounter.

You said that he lowered taxes... that's reducing government.

Thus, reducing government led to more jobs.

Thus, more government means less jobs.

Your post pretty much said "government loosened it's tyrannical grip on job stifling, and thus jobs flourished"

So, yes, you agreed with me.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Evan, Perry is pointing out and taking credit for government actions in Texas which created jobs.

The post said that government was restricted, and jobs took off as a result. Wizard of Whimsy's post agreed with what I said.

But the argument that you sent to me - the WPA under FDR - was simply more errors of the following fashion. I'm not going to bother to outline them again.

The following mistakes were made with the WPA argument:
                Confirmation of Bias
                The Seen vs. the Unseen
                Ignoring Unintended Consequences.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that the FIRST depression that the government went nuts trying to cure was also the first one that lasted 10 years?

It's amazing how brainwashed people can be: "Hey! we did nothing about 8 times, and the panics (as they were called) only lasted about 1 year if even... then we tried to do everything we could and the depression lasted about 15 years! Good thing we screwed ourselves hard!"

Also, the vast majority of the money spent during the New Deal was to get votes for the king in states that he hadn't won earlier. If you look at it, the states that didn't vote for FDR got the most money per capita.

FDRs programs were a major failure. Yet Obama insists on doing the same things

9. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Rick Perry is the planted stand-in for Ron Paul.

Rick Perry doesn't have the 30+ year record of ABSOLUTELY NO FLIP-FLOPPING that Ron Paul has.

10. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5407365.jpg

Awesome.

...But the picture doesn't illustrate all of the cameras focusing on Perry with their backs towards Paul....

11. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

Shame on you Ralph. We all know that education is measured in this country by dollars spent which has little or nothing to do with the actual result. The latest figures I have seen indicate that Texas spends over $11k annually per classroom student with a student population approaching almost 15 million children. Name me some other states dealing with that student population...there are very few.  Student to teacher ratio is at just over 14 students per teacher which I would consider in the range of reasonable.  The literacy aspects here in Texas has much to do with our on-going problems with illegal immigration and our federal governments desire not to solve our border security problem. Do you really think Iowa is suffering much in that area in terms of student literacy?  As in anything, it helps to compare apples to apples and the comparisons drawn  for education success rate measured in money spent per capita and literacy certainly are not level playing fields when it comes to Texas and the rest of the nation.  Perry, at least, has arrived at the proper conclusion that more money spent does not necessarily yield an increase in intelligence retained.  Educational spending has been the mantra for the more than half a century that I have been here and I do not see the bang for the buck....in fact I see it going other way...more money spend, less education received. I for one am proud that Rick Perry and Texas will not top the list of money spent on education.  On a relative scale, many of the states have never even come close to seeing the issues in education that Texas is faced with on an annual basis...the complexity is enormous and one does not even have to look beyond the city limits of Houston to see that.  Perry has at least the courage and the integrity to face that issue and call it what it is rather than spinning to save his own butt.  I think we have seen  more than enough people in Washington who know no other skill than spinning words and spending money and look where it has left us.  Then again, I did have a lapse of memory in making that statement. After all, Obama is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Harvard Law...now we can see the product of good money thrown after bad. WB

Texas Where We Stand

http://www.window.state.tx.us/comptrol/ … wws0512ed/

Texas is #49 in verbal SAT scores in the nation (493) and #46 in average math SAT scores (502).
      Texas is #36 in the nation in high school graduation rates (68%).
      Texas is #33 in the nation in teacher salaries. Teacher salaries in Texas are not keeping pace with the national average. The gains realized from the last state-funded across-the-board pay raise authorized in 1999, which moved the ranking from 33 to as high as 26th in the nation, have disappeared over the last five years.
      Texas was the only state in the nation to cut average per pupil expenditures in fiscal year 2005, resulting in a ranking of #40 nationally; down from #25 in fiscal year 1999.
      Texas is #6 in the nation in student growth. The general student population in Texas public schools grew by 11.1% between school years 1999 and 2005, with the largest percent of growth seen among low income and minority children.
      Between school years 1999 and 2005, the number of central administrators employed by Texas public schools grew by 32.5%, overall staffing in public schools grew by 15.6%, while the number of teachers grew only 13.3%.

From fiscal years 2002 to 2006, average tuition and fees at public universities increased 61.4%. Average tuition and fees at community colleges increased 51.3%.
      From fiscal years 2002 to 2007, the Texas state budget was cut in terms of real dollar, per-student funding for universities by 19.92%; for community colleges the per-student cut was 35.29%.
      California has nine nationally recognized research institutions; New York has seven; Pennsylvania has four; while Texas, the second most populous state in the nation, has only three.
      Out of Texas’ 145 public and private higher education institutions, only one private institution, Rice University, ranked among the nation’s top 50.
      The number of students attending Texas colleges and universities increased by 23.6% from Fall 1999 to Fall 2005 with the highest growth in community and technical colleges.

Nothing like injecting a few facts into the discussion.

None of those facts took into consideration countless variables.

How many states have to fight a failed Federal Drug Policy on their borders?

How many states have to fight horrendous diversity in population?

Stats aren't the end-all to a discussion.

"Stats aren't the end-all to a discussion."

Stats aren't the end-all, but they are a good place to start.

You and Ron Paul may populate your island as homogenized as you wish.  You may have a problem though; I don't think anarchists do all that well with the ladies.

Shame noone injests the facts Texas was last when Bush was Govenor and during his term before Perry, it went from 50 to 24. Under Perry it has gone down but Wayne is partly right. Immegration since 2001 has really had a hard impact, not to metion all the Katrina people that left LA and now count Texas as home. They have severly impacted the entire entitlement system as well as the school districts

12. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Oh - here I am quoting QE1, QE2, the Bailouts, the Future QE3, and the 3-5 year long stint of 0% interest rates...

What a fool I've been!!

Hey, Krugman: remember when you wanted a $10 trillion increase in money to help bolster the economy, and then, when it didn't happen, you blamed everyone for being too timid?

Guess what.

It did happen.

$16 Trillion of stimulus since 2007 has failed to do a damned thing.

Ralph, I know damned well that this won't change your mind. But everyone else who looks at this data WITHOUT BIAS will CLEARLY see that Krugman, Keynes, Bernanke, Greenspan, and all the other nincumpoops in charge of your money are COMPLETELY WRONG.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig12/mckay-m2.1.1.html

... and you said that the Austrian Economists are religious zealots? You can't even admit that some $20 trillion worth of stimulus on top of 3 year 0% interest rates have done squat to help "the economy".

Bow before your false god, Ralph.

13. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Over $17 trillion in monetary easing over the past 4 years, and nothing but inflation to show for it.

Krugman is wrong. Keynes is wrong.

14. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 12 years ago

The fact that Texas had the largest growth in population from 2000 to 2010 and total job creation was 1.1 Million during the same years says leads me to believe that Perry has a little bit of an edge on Obama. Less government is the key to a better economy.

15. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image59

"The governor of Texas is despicable. Of all the crass pandering, of all the gross political kowtowing to ignorance, we haven't seen anything this rank from Gov. Goodhair since…gee, last fall.

Then he was trying to draw attention away from his spectacular failure on public schools by convincing Texans that gay marriage was a horrible threat to us all. Now he's trying to disguise the fact that the schools are in free-fall by proposing that we teach creationism in biology classes."
    —Molly Ivins (1944-2007)

How I miss her!

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/08/ric … olly-ivins

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Wow, Molly Ivins is dead.  The one bright spot in the last four years.

nice

2. profile image0
        Justsilvieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kinder, Küche, Kirche and anyone who criticizes is wished dead?

Didn't wish her dead, won't miss her.  She was a manure slinger and not much more.  So dismissing a despicable person like Molly Ivins is sexist?  You see her sex, I see her politics.  Your assumption drips of its own kind of sexism.

1. profile image0
            Justsilvieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry My quote was about Perry's Agenda, not about Molly's gender. But as a writer if you make people react with passion about what you write negative or positive, you must be getting the message across and she did.

So you believe that Perry's agenda is 19th century paternalism?  Again, I wonder, who holds the sexist view?

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

I met Molly Ivins a few times I ranked her right up there with Madalyn Murray O'Hair, she was just a very unpleasant person.

But very smart and funny at times.

Not the times I met her. I never read her articles because of her abrasiveness in person. I am glad that you posted I was informed yesterday that I should do a little research on people posting so I checked your profile and had a question. Are you from Michigan?

Yes, I'm from the Detroit area. Not a native but I've been here long enough to consider myself a Michigander. How about you?

2. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 12 years ago

Rick Perry is yet another ideological champion of a failed and discredited worldview. If "small government" (of the kind promoted by the libertarians and the neoliberal conservatives) really led to widespread prosperity, then why didn't America keep its small government? Why did it create an income tax? Why did it create a variety of programs and initiatives in the early to mid 20th century? Why, when income taxes were higher on everyone (especially the very rich) in the mid 20th century, did the US economy do so well?

Why has America become richer, safer, healthier and better educated as government has grown over the last 100-150 years?

Ideology and the real world rarely match up, whether it's the borrow-and-spend, flat-footed, pathetic, helpless idealism of Obama and Pelosi, or the pathologically anti-tax, stubbornly fact-denying clueless idealism of Perry and Bachmann.

This begs the question, then: who would you like to see as the next POTUS?

I would like to see Ron Paul myself.  I know the ? was not posted to me but what the hey.  I have an extra 2 cents lol

I'm a died-in-the-wool Liberal, but I have to admit I agree with a lot of things on his agenda.

He makes sense and all the media is ignoring him.  That tells me they are afraid of him.

No, they are just being realistic in recognition that he isn't going anywhere.

It must sting to have to insult a man who predicted the economic catastrophes that have recently befallen us, yet wake up every morning and defend those who didn't see it coming from a mile away.

My comment was not intended as an insult to Ron Paul but only as an explanation of why he's not getting the time of day from the media. I actually admire him and agree with him on many things, as I do you, Evan.

He did not predict it. He was relaying what others were already saying.

Ron Paul for me as well.

Jon Huntsman, but I know he will not be on the ticket.

Huntsman, really?  Didn't his clone just drop out?  Isn't his other clone Mitt Romney?

He is neither. He has a long history in Washington, he is extremely strong on foriegn policy, former Govenor and more.

Huntsman worked as a White House staff assistant for Ronald Reagan, and he was appointed by George H.W. Bush as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce. Seems we need some commerce these days. United States Ambassador to Singapore from 1992-1993. Huntsman served as Deputy United States Trade Representative under George W. Bush, launching global trade negotiations in Doha, Qatar in 2001 and guiding the accession of China and Taiwan into the World Trade Organization.

Huntsman was elected Governor of Utah in 2005 and won re-election in 2008 with nearly 78% of the vote. During his tenure, Huntsman cut taxes by more than $400 million—the largest tax cut in the state's history—and Utah was named the "Best Managed State in America" by Pew Research Center. While governor, he also served as chairman of the Western Governors Association and on the Executive Committee of the National Governors Association. On August 11, 2009, he resigned as governor to accept appointment by Barack Obama as the United States Ambassador to China.

http://jonhuntsmangh.blogspot.com/

That guy who listens to scientists?  I think he's a closet Democrat.

3. secularist10 profile image60
          secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

"This begs the question, then: who would you like to see as the next POTUS?"

Oh, I don't know. Stephen Colbert. At least then we would have some amusement while the country tanked. LOL.

But certainly none of the frontrunners have anything to offer (Bachmann, Romney and Perry). I didn't vote for Obama the first time around, and I probably won't this time either. It's a real shame.

I just did a page search for the words Chris Christie, and I see no one has mentioned him. (Gov. of New Jersey)

He is one I would probably support. He is not an ideologue (like Bachmann and Perry), not a zealot (like Bachmann and Perry), he actually believes somethings and seems to have his heart in the right place (unlike Romney), he is pragmatic and centrist (you have to be as a Republican governor of a state as liberal as NJ), and he knows a thing or too about fiscal policy, economics, cutting deals, but getting real things done (unlike Obama).

Plus he's a fat ass, so he'd definitely get the fat vote (which is like 2/3 of the country).

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Even Ben Stein feels he need to study up on economics.

Fry......Fry......Fry.......Perry......Perry......Perry...... Guess he took the Ferrari out for a ride

Ben Stein sucks at economics! Here he is not only NOT predicting the crash, but laughing at those who DID predict it AND giving everyone HORRIBLE investing advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZyvnWFbR84

And he sucks at foreign policy! Ron Paul suggested we stop giving out foreign aide to all countries, including Israel, and Stein called him an Anti-Semite on national TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOV0qCW7nBA

... anyway, at least he apologized for the first one: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/busin … ref=slogin

Must have made those predictions on the days he had read eye.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

He also said that he agrees with Perry on almost every other aspect, he even thought he had a good chance of being President one day (Shudder)

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61

You can thank Ron Paul for the fact that we know that the Federal Reserve dished out over a trillion dollars directly to wall street banks in secret, previously unpublished loans.

Ron Paul 2012 - the reason we know what the hell the fed is

Actually we can thank US Senator Bernie Sanders. As in typical Paul fashion, he jumped on the bandwagon of what someone else has started and tries to take credit for it. Just like with all the bills Paul claims to have written, he was nothing more, than a co-sponser. But tries to claim the bill was his.

http://www.ronpaul.com/congress/legisla … e-hr-1207/

Oops, look at that. Paul has been working for it for the past 30+ years or so.

H.R. 1207: Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009
            111th Congress: 2009-2010
            To amend title 31, United States Code, to reform the manner in which the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System is audited by the Comptroller General of the United States and the manner in which such audits are reported, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Rep. Ronald Paul [R-TX14]

This bill never became law. This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.

Well we see this is a bill from 2009. Senator Bernie Sanders has been raising this issue since 1998. So Paul s bill is 11 years after Sanders first brought it up. I am sure I could find more people that talked about this issue before Paul

Now Paul does not have 30+ years elected experience. He was first elected in1976 and served till 1984 when he was voted out. He was not an elected official till he was re-elected in 1996 till now.  Well I know I am not good at math, as evident by a past thread LOL, Seems to me he has been in office for 22 years, not 30+.   Oops

The bill wouldn't have existed or passed without Paul. Deal with it.

Nothing like changing the suject. Look evan, I said a while ago we would agree to disagree on Paul. I respect your choice, you are entitled. But he is nothing you think he is and he does nothing. I would almost bet he did not author the bill, but just sponsored it

6. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 12 years ago

I'll tell you who's ignorant on economic policy, Obama and all of his team... oh wait... they all quit, except for the tax cheat Geithner who will be leaving soon, like roaches when the lights come on they're all running away from the damage they heaped upon the American people! Yeah, they inherited this "mess" a 5% unemployment rate an 8 trillion dollar debt, and a AAA+ credit rating and what did Obama produce? A 17 trillion dollar debt, a 9.4% unemployment rate, and a credit downgrade!!!! Then he has the NERVE to say things would be worse if he didn't act!!! Unbelievable!!!

NObama 2012!!

All Republicans, save one (Ron Paul), are listening to the same economic theories.

If you really dislike the way Obama has handled the economy, there's only one option.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)