Why doesn't someone do a Hub on the enjoyment of an egg & spoon Race.

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)
  1. mandybeau profile image58
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

It'd be a totally boring Hub, unless you were able to do a good slant on it.
    It is about the only subject matter I can see, that during the challenge no one has hit on.
    So, there ya go a challenge within a challenge write about an egg and spoon race, and I will judge the best one lol.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An egg and spoon race? How would we begin mmmmm I bet I can get creative. big_smile

2. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will post it tomorrow Friday the 15th May and twil be damn funny or BadCo will hang up his pen, I accept yer challenge !

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
        Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yay, BC!  Can't wait to read it.

2. mandybeau profile image58
        mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool I am expecting great stuff................

2. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

Egg and spoon race? what is there to write about? The uses of egg and spoon race? The fun of egg and spoon race?

C'mon if someone can write about How to install McAfee into your Computer, an egg an spoon race should be a total breeze.
      Too much of a challenge is it.   Hahahahah

3. mandybeau profile image58

I* believe if anyone could pull it off it would be you, as you are one of my favs. But please please don't rush it and a video and lots of photos we want it on Googles first page.
    Probably make it to and I thought of it.

4. New Life profile image60
    New Lifeposted 14 years ago

OK here it goes, Once upon a time there was a challenge between the egg and the spoon.  The spoon stated that they can win the race because it was tall with a half moon.  The egg laughed at the thought and made the challenge.  "Let's do this"  so they gathered on a nearby hill top. All of the friends were there, the plate, the fork and the chicken.  "Ready, Set, Go" the race begins, the spoon stood up nice and tall a started down the hill, one flop, down, stood up again, down again.  About half way down the hill, the egg was still on top of the hill chillin.  The announcer said to the egg.  "I said ready, set, go"  the egg , laid down on its side, with a big grin and stated.  "just giving him hope, here I go"  The egg started rolling down the hill, faster and faster passed the spoon, with tremendous speed.  But the spoon just kept on doing what it was doing. The egg, was rolling so fast that it didn't see the tree. Hit it straight on and cracked, the spoon scooped it up and won the race.  The moral laughing at another is not what its cracked up to be you might get scooped up.  The End

5. mandybeau profile image58

New Life you have me in awe Totally blown away. 1 st prize so far.

6. Kelsey Tallis profile image63
    Kelsey Tallisposted 14 years ago

Do I want to be the egg, or the spoon?

Hmmm, can I take turns? *is hopeful*

Sometimes I feel more eggful, and sometimes I feel more spoonful... :-|

7. New Life profile image60

Thanks  - I gave it a try - I enjoyed the challenge- Maybe that will get it started

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Did you get eggactly what you were looking for?

Now you are being eggstremly silly, this was not meant to be an eggageration, it was not meant to get me eggstra forum posts, but rather was meant to [produce an eggsceptional Hub on a Eggxact Topic.

2. mandybeau profile image58

Now you are being eggstremly silly, this was not meant to be an eggageration, it was not meant to get me eggstra forum posts, but rather was meant to [produce an eggsceptional Hub on a Eggxact Topic.

9. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Egg and Spoon Racing - And The Lessons It Taught Me

I only ever ran in one egg and spoon race. I was last. That was the day that I realised I that the worlds not always a Nice Place. Tough day for a kid.

I lined up … all quivery with nerves. This was, after all, The Big One. My chance to shine and show the world/school/James Hall the boy that I fancied what I was capable of. I was stood in a line of little people; all eagerly awaiting Mrs Reynolds amplified ‘GO’ (she didn’t use a megaphone. She just had a really big mouth) and all were as eager to win as I was.

And … GO … we were off. Or rather, the others were. This is when I noticed that my egg and spoon were fundamentally different from everyone else’s. They had spoons. I had a … lolly stick. And eggs are hard enough to balance on spoons as it is. But the law of physics has eggs on sticks all sown up: Eggs are round … lolly sticks are linear. Add in some jiggling and you’ve more chance of balancing your cheque book than you have of balancing an egg on a stick.

I looked up, bewildered, at Mrs Reynolds. She smiled and said – in her loud shouty way – “we ran out of spoons dear. But never mind … it’s not the winning that counts … it’s the taking part … off you go”.

I tried. I tried really hard. But that egg just wouldn’t stay on the stick. And every time I tried to help my egg stay balanced by way of holding the two together – I was heckled from the sidelines “Cheeeeeeeeeeeeat”.

It took me 40 minutes to complete my egg on a stick race. And a whole lot of shame, muttering and pre-swearing.

I soon realised that I’d not impressed the world/school/James Hall. In fact if anything, I was quickly elevated to the lofty ranks of School Cheat. Kids don't care about the details - they just take facts on face value.

So, in one race, I learned a hard lesson:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Or on sticks.

I loved it frogdropping and your are going to win unless someone pulls something truly eggstordinary out of the Basket.

10. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

Awww, Frogdropping, that is such a sad story!!  sad  It must've been hard to keep your bottom lip from quivering and a large tear from rolling down your little cheek so the other kids wouldn't see it.

You poor thing!  Cruel Mrs. Reynolds!

11. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

frogdropping! - Your maltreatment ranks up there with my horrible "sex ed" class and maybe worse than that. Abusive, abusive - especially to make you complete the race. As bad as when I was told at age 9 that my win of a achool track race did not count, because I was a girl and they gave the prize to the boy behind me. They made all the girls run. Abusive.

How many others have these stories?

Oh - never did the egg and spoon gig.

12. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

Patty, that is disgusting!  The teacher would never get away with it, now.  Thank, God.

13. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

Yes indeed, thank God. Things brought out into the light.

Oh, frogdropping, I want to punch your teacher in the nose and I never initiate physical aggression. Is she still alive? give me your old school's address. I want to complain to the new management...

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol She died a few years ago. In fact, I think the schools merged - or maybe changed. Incidentally, a good friend of my is an Education Director of Something or Other (I forget) and it's her job to teach the teachers so to speak. She checks up on working practices, delivers new training ideas and aides on-going learning and development.

She was saying recently that it amazes her even now that there are still many teachers out there who just teach - and nothing else. They don't believe they have a social responsibility towards their pupils/students. They feel it's their job to impart education - period.

Honest, the mind-boggles. Some of my childrens' best teachers were people that simply took the time to deliver their lessons in a way in that promoted learning. There was interaction for one! Oh ... I could go on about education. I love learning but sometimes educators are tough people  wink

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

So no nose-punching is needed. This is good.

After 11 years teaching in adult education, I can also go on about the system; but am happy that changes were made in yours at some levels.

15. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

The wheels of enlightenment turn slowly Patty smile

My friend was a teacher originally. And loved her job. She still says that she feels teaching is akin to parenting - only with maths.

I think she has a point though Patty. Personally, I had a lot of input with my three - and gave them encouragement. I felt that I had a responsibility to ensure my children were well educated.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You let the kids use spoons, didn't you? smile

16. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

MandyBeau got her wish and the topic has been written, I ran across it on one of my e-mails and it had been written by a fan, it is short but truly funny. http://hubpages.com/_dwn4bbs4rxf1/hub/T … Spoon-Race

Check out the little story and Mandy got her wish.big_smile

Mandy always gets wot she wants.
      Eggstreme don't u think.
      But todate I have not been able to push you out of first place on the Hubber Hangout Forum, been close, but never made number 1 Mandy wants........

17. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Interesting challenge, any takers?

18. New Life profile image60

Yep, so far only two, waiting to see the others

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)