Oh My Giddy Aunt! I don't Believe it!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

I just recieved this email! through Hubpages:

Katie Lafferty (emailed removed)
    has sent you this message.
    (email address not verified)

Hello,

I work on William Shatner's "Weird or What?" and I'd love to chat with you about potentially appearing on camera. Is there a number I could reach you at?

All the best,

Katie

The first thing I saw was the words William Shatner! then I looked up Weird or What? and realised that it was a TV program!!
    Can anybody tell me anything about it? We don't get it over here, and secondly do you think its genuine? I looked up the @...co. to see if the place name was genuine and it seems that its a TV and Film company! Oh my goodness!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

William Shatner, isn't he off the original Star Trek. Captain Kirk, I think, was his name. I have no idea about the program, but this sounds intriguing.

2. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Opportunity has a shelf life - it sounds like she has read sOMe of your relevant hubs.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Katie Lafferty is as a Canadian TV Producer.

Weird or What appears in Canada on the History Network

2. Nell Rose profile image91

Hi, I think it is shown in Canada, from what I have seen by looking it up, its to do with psychic phenomena real or fake!

I'm in the UK Nell, so in all honesty I'm not sure. I did, however, recognize the name, but now you come to say it I'm sure in the past I've seen that type of program with captain Kirk (just in case his name isn't William) in the past. I think it may have been when I had Sky TV. Have you responded to the e-mail, or decided to wait until you've checked it all out?

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I've realized now that you also live in England. smile

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I just recognized the name. But, come to think of it, I'm sure I've seen captain Kirk (just in case his name isn't William) on a similar kind of program. I think it was when I used to have Sky TV.

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Wow, Nell!

I've never heard of it either but here is a link for you that I found.

William Shatner's Weird or What

The original Star Trek is one of my all time favourite TV programmes. Sounds like a great honour for you - well done!

On a negative (but cautious) note, remember that by replying to the message you do reveal your e-mail address. May be worth doing a little bit more digging before you do so.

Let us know how you get on! smile

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

You should probably contact the studio and find out how they go about securing talent.  Ask about the person who emailed you.  If they don't know who she is, ask about agencies they use, scouts, etc. then talk to them to see if they've heard of her.

5. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

William Shatner has presented a lot of TV shows over the years about the paranormal.  Some have been on UK TV.  I think some may also be on Youtube.  Leonard Nimoy has also presented several similar programmes, the whole series of which is on Youtube, which are fascinating.  Maybe you could search for William Shatner's website, and email them directly, rather than replying to your email.  If it is genuine, they will know what it is about.

6. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

It's very for real the show that is. William Shatner  of course who know who he is/was. The original Captain Kirk of the Enterprise on Star Trek:0-) Also a Canadian from Montreal, my mentor and muse acted with him on stage at the Montreal Rep Theater many years ago when he was just a young man getting starting in the acting profession. This show he is hosting now. Weird or What is actually pretty good.

7. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Nell, I am kind of a pessimist about things that seem too good to be true. And like Gordon Hamilton said in his prior post, you need to be careful revealing your personal info until you know for sure. See if you can open the full header of the email (some email programs such as MS Outlook allow that), and look for the IP address of the sender. dnsstuff.com is a great site to check where IP addresses originate from at no charge. In the header info you may also find the actual server that processed the email. With all that you can look it up and see if it actually came from the domain that you see on the email address. Email addresses can be falsified, so don't go by that alone.

I hope it's for real as you deserve it. And if so, congratulations! Keep us informed.

8. Nell Rose profile image91

Hi, I think I must have sent out some sort of electro magnetic field when i got excited! my darn pc packed up! lol I will go and investigate some more, I have already looked to see if she is genuine, but I will go and look at william shatners site, I tried looking up the email ip address but couldn't get it because it was through hubpages, I'll let you know what happens! if its true my brother will have a heart attack, he is a trekkie! lol

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whatever it is, if there is a link to click on, be cautious. Great way to get a virus. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date.

Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, thanks Glenn, it just seemed a bit strange, but now the initial yeah moment has gone I think it probably was a con, I am not clicking any links she just wants my phone number, which is fine as its a mobile or cell, and it has no connection to any bank details! lol would help if I had any money in the bank! lol

9. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

Hi Nell, sounds wonderful but... there's always a but!! Like others have said, be careful and check things out carefully. I had an email come through Hubpages a couple of months ago from some production company wanting me to write scripts for them and it turned out to be a scam. Maybe your email is genuine, wouldn't it be great if it was??? Good luck with all your checking.

Hi, once I got over the intial shock! lol I realised that it probably is a scam, but the thing was, why send me that? I didn't even know about the program, maybe they thought I was American or Canadian, we will see...um!

Perhaps it's genuine. Don't let to much doubt set in. Just check it out, you don't have anything to lose here.

Hopefully! ha ha doubt it though! mind you, if it is true, maybe I can get william shatner to do another star trek! always wanted those Spock ears! lol

Just wait and see, stranger things have happened to people. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Caution is good, it should be exercised. But, you shouldn't write something off psychologically, before you know the real score. Good luck. wink

10. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Hi Nell. Yeah, Glenn's got some good advice there. Here's an old-fashioned way if you've got caller ID. Ask her to call you. That's how I verified Columbia/Sony pictures one time. Hope its legit Nell, you'd be an awesome guest!

Comumbia/sony? wow! I knew your talent and looks would one day get you that main lead in a film!! lol!

11. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

I watched a show on Discovery Channel called Weird or What. It was really good.

They cover all types of weird but true things, like the hijacking of Einsteins brain.

I wasn't sure Shatner had a part in it though? He for sure wasn't in it in any episodes I've seen. All they use are actors and 1 guy to tell you the story. They also bring scientists and other people that are experts on what they are talking about.

Why would they go to you for this matter? What hub or article, or special talent? What hubs and knowledge do you know.

Here is an episode of what I was talking about. They do need people and use people people for 1 episode.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jThtDyQ … re=related

I hope it is real!

HI, maybe for a few psychic hubs I have written, maybe not! lol the last email I got was genuine, it was from Prima Magazine, asking me about the day I met Princess Diana, I was in the July Mag! doubt if its true this time though!

12. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

Thanks, so it is a genuine program, um! we will see!

13. sweetoneangel profile image61
    sweetoneangelposted 12 years ago

Hi Nell a couple years back on another site I wrote for a recived an email asking me to do an online radio show about paranormal. I too tought it was a scam and ignored it. I thought why me? I was fairly new to online writing. It was legit I found out later. My advice call them and get any information you can. However if they ask you at anytime for money abort. Also see if they can not mail you or fax you information about who they are. Hope this helps, good luck.

14. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

jebus christ, whats with all the paranoia, just reply to the damn email .. worst case scenario oh no, someone see your email address and sends you some crappy spam response - mark it as spam and move on.

Im guessing Nell rose is your name ... a 2 second search on facebook pulled you up including a blurb about your location. Paranoia will get you nowhere, sounds like a great lead, grab the opportunity!

15. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Anderson Cooper's new talk show contacted someone on the Squidoo forum about a personal story on one of their lenses last month, and that was legit. I've had a few contacts, though nothing that major.

It's rare, but not unheard-of, to have your online content noticed by big names. There's an awful lot of air time to fill, and if you've got a story that fits their needs, well, they need content just as much as online publishers.

Why not? Opportunities like this don't come around every day. The question is whether they'd be willing to fly you to Canada (I assume he's filming from his neck of the woods?)

Also, be careful about doubting that it's the real William Shatner. Google Plus tossed him out after he signed up, assuming he was a fake, and it was the real Shat! Then again, he does seem like a caricature of himself at the best of times, so I can understand their confusion.

He's got a huge body of acting on various TV and some so-so movies, in addition to the lifelong Trek gig. Google "Shatner's Toupee" for a surprisingly in-depth homage to the man and his work. (It's not my site, I just wasted an afternoon reading it and giggling like a fool. Probably less amusing if you're not familiar with him, though.) EDIT: Er, actually, scratch that, the first post is loooong and boring to anyone but  a Trekkie.

P.S. KHAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Hey Nell, why not just enjoy the ride?  Be careful with your personal details etc, but what have you got to lose by following it through?

Why shouldn't good thing happen to good hubbers?  Good luck and let us know how you get on! smile

17. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Wow, Nell - I would definitely contact her and send her your cell number. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to tell if it is legit fairly quickly (and I can't see any danger in just providing a cell number). Congratulations on the contact - that is wonderful!

18. Mary Ruddy profile image60
    Mary Ruddyposted 12 years ago

Hi Nell,
    I think you should reply to the email and see what response you get. If the email is genuine, then you really don't want to miss out on a golden opportunity.

While there are some dodgy people out there for sure, there are also some genuine people as well, and if she has seen your work and likes it, then it would be a shame to miss out!

Hope it works out really well for you! smile

all the best,
    Mary

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)