How far would you go to save money?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. alissaroberts profile image79
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

Since Black Friday is almost upon us, I would love to hear stories of how far you went to save money on Christmas presents. What is the craziest thing you have ever done to save a few bucks?

1. suncat profile image59
      suncatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The craziest thing to save would be not buy any presents. )))

The next one would be to make them yourself.

And the next one is buy cheap cute stuff and make a gift basket or a box wraping it so it looks like you bought it which is usually veeeeeery expensive but has stuff inside that is pretty ordinary if you take it appart. ,)

alissarobertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was actually thinking about getting my sister and her boyfriend a basket of goodies together for Christmas. I wanted to include a bunch of the items that I have gotten for free by couponing or paid under a $1.00 for. Like toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc... Is this bad? smile

1. MarloByDesign profile image77
          MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea...I am going to do that as well!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

i went shopping in Mexico last week...saved on the gifts and had a good time!

Wow that sounds so nice! Treating yourself while saving money on gifts sounds awesome to me!

3. GoGreenTips profile image60
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

Quit buying for Christmas....

That would be the best way to save but I don't know if my 5 and 3 yr old will let me get away with that smile

2. MarloByDesign profile image77
      MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!!! Share a great meal together instead!

4. JIN1128 profile image90
    JIN1128posted 12 years ago

buy cheap things from the 99 cents store.  Company culture is to get everyone a small gift in the group for Christmas and new year.  Well, there is 12 people in our group.  That used to cost me a lot of money every year.  From now on, I will have to get stuff from the 99 cents store b/c I am broke.

This year has been tough on our family too. Trying as we speak to come up with creative ways to save from spending a fortune on Christmas gifts. And I love the dollar store! Especially when filling up my kids stockings! smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With 5 and 3 year olds-- you are getting off pretty easy, it's harder with teens.
        I agree-- for the adults on your list "it's the thought that counts" Small things with a personal touch-- hand crafts, embroidery, baked goods, or a personal poem will be remembered, and express your love.

Oh my I can't even imagine what its like with teens! I always love that my kids usually play more with all the dollar store gifts than the bigger more expensive ones! Hopefully I can by with this for at least a few more years smile Thanks for your response on the adults. I am def gonna put my plan for the goodie basket in action!

5. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

No, alissa, I don't think it's bad. Our family has had Christmases where we agreed to buy just yard sale gifts. We can get cheap little items that are fun. Have a few drinks, open some silly and cheap little gifts--and my family has a great time without spending money. I don't think people should go into debt for Christmas, that's for sure.

Thanks Victoria for your response! My mother assured me my sister would love to have a basket full of goodies but sometimes hearing it from someone else makes me feel better about it smile

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

The best thing you can do is skip Black Friday.

My family has slowly scaled back our gift giving over the last decade, so that now there are a lot of homemade and personalized gifts.  We're definitely into quality over quantity.

I love that! My mom is really crafty and has made some fantastic things to decorate our house with. I wish I had inherited some of her craftiness! As for Black Friday, if I find some great deals I am going to make a strict list of what I am getting and sticking to it this year. No more going overboard for me smile

7. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

You're welcome, alissa. And even teenagers that haven't been overly spoiled as children appreciate thoughtful Christmas gifts. At least they did when I was growing up. And my niece seems to feel that way.

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Homemade gifts are the best. It's great if you have time and talents to make something nice. My mom used to knit cute and warm mittens for winter holidays. It was such a nice and useful gift! Unfortunately those mittens had such an elaborate pattern, I never learned how to make them. The problem with expensive gifts,once given - your kids will expect every year the same, may be more. Your attention, your love, your friendship, those things are important, not a price tag. Though retail industry LOVES spenders. Personally I like useful gifts, no matter how small they are! And make your own gift basket, those commercial ones so... empty. With teenages - think about that they want to have, really-really want, and then count your money... and give them a nice birthday present, but Christmas can be very simple with little gifts ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)