jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Are you frugal? What is the most extreme thing you've ever done to save money?

1. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Are you frugal? What is the most extreme thing you've ever done to save money?

2. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

I always try to be as frugal as possible but in a practical way.  The most I do to save money is clip coupons, cook at home for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and swap clothes with family and friends.

1. profile image72
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Those are all great ways to save money.

3. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image79
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 5 years ago

No, I am not. I always try to make within my defined budget still keep aside something for rainy days.  Even when I am tight I never try to save money. My philosophy  is how to increase the source of income income rather than cut expenditure.

1. profile image72

Increasing income is definitely important, although I think we usually do best with a balance of earning and saving.

4. susansisk profile image84
    susansiskposted 5 years ago

I went back to the store when I saw on my receipt that my coupons had not been deducted.  It was only a few dollars, and I probably spent that much on gas, but it was the principal of the thing.

1. profile image72

I have definitely done that before! And very true that it probably didn't save too much in the end when accounting for gas.

5. Francesca27 profile image76
    Francesca27posted 5 years ago

Yes, I am a bit Frugal.  I once filled a pillow with dryer lint. I would not suggest this because it is a little dusty.

1. profile image72

Yes, I imagine that would be quite dusty. I won't be trying it out!

6. loyalsudz profile image60
    loyalsudzposted 5 years ago

It may seem simplistic but I prepared a zero based budget.  I try to account for every dollar and then arrange for it to go into the proper savings or spending category.  It really helped me to see that there are some goals I can achieve much faster than I initially thought, others will just take time.  It also allows me to see what months I really cannot afford to extend my self or else it could hurt my savings goals. Other than that, I tend to do a lot of sewing at times to keep clothing longer and in good repair and I stay away from dry cleaners, if it is not wash and wear, I will not buy it.

1. profile image72

that makes sense,  dry cleaning bills can definitely be a hassle!

7. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

My Grandparents and Great Grandparents lived throught World Wars and learnt to survive on barely nothing. My parents have been born straight after the war and remember being hungry most of the time...the frugality is in their blood, they had been saving all their life and taught us kids to do the same....I teach my children to save in memory of those mentioned above....because we are just much more fortunate....we all need to learn to save...because you never know how long your fortune will last....

1. profile image72

Very true.  Today many of us are lucky to save for the future instead of today's necessity.  Sounds like frugality is a great family legacy that you had passed down to you.

8. Vik Beluso profile image73
    Vik Belusoposted 5 years ago

I've always been really frugal.  Money represents freedom to me, and to blow it on unnecessary this-and-that means i have to do more work, and thus be less free. 
    I guess the most extreme thing i've done is lived without a car for about five years in a very car-centered town.  I rode a bike everywhere.  Not so much fun in the wintertime.  But seeing that money in the bank which would otherwise have been spent on car payments, gas, maintenance, insurance, etc made up for it.  It was instrumental in putting together the down payment for my house. Also got me into shape, made me somewhat tougher than i had been.

working