What would you say is the funniest english accent?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (49 posts)
  1. musclequest profile image61
    musclequestposted 12 years ago

In South Africa we have 11 native languages so its fare to say a large majority of people speak english as a second or third language.I.too speak Afrikaans as my first language and often crack a laugh at my fellow Afrikaners accents.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

At the risk of offending Canadians I thought the accents in 'Fargo', the Cohen Brothers was hilarious.

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I've found many here.. don't understand my Kiwi accent... because it requires an ear that listens, before it responds smile

But When I St-t-t-tut-tut-ter-r.... I'm left thinking "OMG.. What Is Wrong With THEM??" big_smile

musclequestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always enjoy the kiwi rugby commentators,very entertaining

4. musclequest profile image61

I do enjoy a beckham occasionally...kinda looks like a tough guy ect. But when he opens his mouth its like a litle english girl haha no offence

5. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

You should hear my accent, here in northern England there is a diverse number of accents but my county is Cumbria and our accent is a mixture of Norwegian,Scottish, Geordie(North Eastern Accent), and all rolled in together with a touch of Yorkshire and Lancashire accents so its really funny to hear us speak in cumbria smile

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha. wow.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well......... waddaya expect? yikes

You guys mated with Vikings! big_smile 

I used to go out with a lady from Cumbria..
      She was not only a really hard case (funny) to listen to...
      But she was really X-Eyed as well roll
      She told me that she was determined to marry me 'coz I wasn't a Viking! smile

But I really struggled with her always asking me to look into her eyes! sad
      And in the end it was just too much for me to handle! sad

You Know.. I can be completely honest with myself today
      and admit that I really did make a mistake leaving her like that! sad
      But Deep Down... when I looked into her eyes...
      I ALWAYS Felt Like She Was Seeing Someone Else! big_smile

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cumbrian women are famous for being the domineering types, am so glad I am gay sometimes because honestly some of them are more scarier than the men and they can fight alot worse than men do.... smile
        Sorry if this offends but one night out in Carlisle and you would agree with me when you see the women fight its so frightening because at one time Carlisle got dubbed "Hells Kitchen" and made Cumbria famous for fighting - not a good thing smile

1. Pearldiver profile image68
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In NZ, there are quite a few like that too mate.. they aren't women nor guys.. it is freaky 'coz they are really, really dumb, angry and ugly in nature! They tend to binge drink and then start fights with anyone on their own! sad

I wasn't rubbishing Cumbrian women in my earlier post... I was more describing what it is like looking into the eyes of a X-eyed one! Maybe it was too subtle? smile

I know you werent, it must have been an experience for you looking into her eyes? smile

2. musclequest profile image61

Haha luckily south africa has the most beautiful women haha with a 1 to 7 male to female ratio haha

Arent you lucky in south africa smile If you come over here and see that men are also outnumbered by women in britain too i dont know the correct ratio but its a statistic fact that women outnumber men in UK smile

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey calpol, I'm a mancunian. I have recently purchased Dragon naturally speaking and every time I say honey (a recent article I wrote) it dictates horny. This is wrong on so many levels. lol

lol lol lol!!!!!! lol lol I love mancunians my cousins are from Bury and their accent is just brill xxx smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bury, that's a broad accent. I was thinking of Peter Kay, but he's Bolton, right? Yeah, we should be proud of our regional accents. smile xxx

Dead right we should be proud, my neighbour is from Bolton she is lovely, & i love Peter Kay am sure he would have a laugh at the Cumbrian accent if he got going smile

6. musclequest profile image61

That could get real funny after a few beers with mates haha i

its true and even worse part is when we get drunk the accent is even funnier and disturbing because itsa very hard to understand what were saying without codebreakers lol lol

7. musclequest profile image61

That's one amazing accent you got there...diverse

It is we even have our own language up here, well sort of like a gaelic we call it West Cumbrian but a Norwegian could understand it as its very closed to it.. sort of relates to when the vikings settled here in Cumbria.

8. knolyourself profile image61

I love accents but they are pretty much against the law here in the US in the national corporate media. It is like the corporate hamburger - the same everywhere. What a waste.

that is such a shame because accents define us and we get sort of a pride about them... smile

9. musclequest profile image61

Sounds like when you drunk you not only need a designated driver but a designated talker too haha

true very true, but it makes a good night out and its always a conversation starter smile lol lol

10. knolyourself profile image61

I have heard Wyoming accents that are just amazing. Never ever on any media.

I will have to look it up and listen coz I love accents:)

Why is that?

Why I love accents? or why the wyoming accent aint in the media? smile

Why isn't it in the media?

I would like to know too why it aint? smile

11. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Mind you we get an awful lot of south africans here in Cumbria too, they love our county and some how their accent is kind of being adopted into ours..
    I used to work with a south african Lucy from Durban and she had a beautiful accent and I could speak dutch so i could understand a bit of what she was saying in Africaans smile

Yeah its similar but stil tough to follow,..haha the South African english accent though is lovely but the afrikaans can get real funny

Africaans is brilliant especially when they get drunk smile because when they ask for a cigarette it sounds like they want a SEEGRET but said  sharply lol smile

Yeah coz english you pronounce the g in the middel of your mouth with your voice but afrikaans its out of your throut haha

I know what you mean, with me being half dutch I pronounce the g in my throat but I can also pronounce the english way too, its so funny though but I love the way south africans speak they always sound so totally chilled too smile

12. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

For me, it's the Northern Irish accent. Every statement sounds like a question...?

Haha that's what's up

2. calpol25 profile image59

Southern Irish accent is so soft its like they are so chilled and singing quietly too you..

13. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Funniest accent is Indian accent. Imagine an old Indian guy trying to say bibbity bobbity booO!

Coolest accent is South African.

South Akricans also make amazing art.

WARNING; this link contains explicit material that most people will find offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbW9JqM7vho&ob=av2e

Haha lmfao haha

Haha lmfao haha

lol lol ROFL

3. musclequest profile image61

Thanx rbeo glad you like us

4. musclequest profile image61

Thanx rbeo glad you like us

14. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

You guys would laugh if you heard my southern drawl!

I love the southern americn accent, My doctor before he retired was from Alabama and his accent was just lovely smile

15. musclequest profile image61

If you wana survive in SA there's just 3 words man braai,biltong and boerewors haha ul neva go hungry haha

Dankie musclequest I will try to remember them smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)