That view in the mirror

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Sky9106 profile image66
    Sky9106posted 12 years ago

Do you think life would have been better or worse, had mankind not been able to see any reflexion of himself period?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image71
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it would make that much difference.

Human ego will stlil be human ego, with or without the visual aide...

Sky9106posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your thoughtful answer . That ego is one that is in the top three included in formulating the question.
        It just came to me the ways we make decisions pertaining to others . Just what if we could never see ourselves in no place we look , having to be at the mercies of others to make yourself all the ways we choose to make us feel that difference. You can see others they can see you , but you cant see yourself .
        Thanks Ashton.

Hmm...I'm not sure that would be a good thing. We would always have to base our concept of how we looked, on someone else's view of us.
          Our reaction to it would be dependent upon others' feedback. If we got a mix of both negative and positive response, we would be more likely to attribute the concept of beauty as relative, because we would be getting mixed messages. If it was predomininantly positive, we would see ourselves as beautiful or good looking. If it was predominantly negative, I think we would see ourselves as bad looking or ugly..hm....interesting question

I am now seeing more of if it truly is and as I was reading I smiled at this part. Looking at beauty as relative , and that would have been that way from the onset. That's why there must be a higher understanding involved in all this , because as far as our mind could go , that power have to have been there done that. Look at all those different boundaries mankind , are believed to have trespassed on and he did not come back he always told himself that he adjusted.
            This is one of those questions , when you take  a glance over your shoulders , see where we are and possibly where you have come from , you question yourself as if you are a part of the true collective and a question of major importance arises.
            Looks may not have been an issue and mirrors might have been a crime.
            That's why if will always be hypothetical.
            I could easily have asked are we better off now than a couple of thousand years ago , and the unanimous answer would be yes m for reasons of epic proportions, so to speak.
            Thanks

2. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ashton, is this something you really believe or are you guessing?

Either way, it would be incorrect. The Human Ego wasn't a factor until self-awareness became known to the individual. Self awareness(the conscious mind) is all about self perception and perception of the world around us.

The sub-conscious part of Human Consciousness doesn't possess ego. wink

My point was that we're all naturally self-centered or self-focused , and that the presence or absence of a mirror wouldn't change that fact.

Neither guessing nor believing. Just a thought.

1. Cagsil profile image69

And this would be untrue. Naturally, we are led by our subconscious. Which isn't about self at all. wink

I guess I would have to understand what you mean by that. Being "led" by our subconcious. What do you feel our subconscious is about? I have a feeling I am misinterpreting what you are saying.
              So you do not feel that we are being naturally selfish or wanting our own desires apart from others' desires? Sorry just trying to clarify smile I want to be sure I'm understanding.

The subconscious is the collective of everything heard, seen, felt, touched, smelled and experienced(including all knowledge).

The right side of the brain where the subconsciousness exists stores everything. As a child growing up, you learn to use the left side of your brain, which is for rationale, sane(reasoning), logic....it is your conscious mind.
                Ego is derived from the conscious mind and circumvents the subconscious conscience whenever it chooses, which isn't natural. Naturally, humans are a loving and compassionate species as individuals, not selfish and misguided. It's when an individual has no ability to see beyond self, does one become obsessively selfish.

It's the difference between being "evil" and "good" naturally. Humankind isn't inherently bad. Quite the opposite.

Hmm...but wouldn't ego be just as natural since it is derived from our conscious mind, which is natural to us as humans?
                  Sorry if I sound dense. What you are saying is very new to me so I want to make sure I'm seeing all facets of it.

The only thing about the conscious mind seeming to be natural is the perception. And, perception can be skewed by the ego, so it wouldn't be natural. wink

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think if we didn't have the ability to see pictures of ourselves and to see ourselves in mirrors, we would still see ourselves in the places that matter the most and that cause the most changes in our behavior and our own opinion of what we're doing. That place is in other people's eyes.  We lose our way most often when we stop paying attention to that, or when we have so much wealth that others want that they stop being honest with us about how we're acting.

Thanks for you also thoughtful reply. That again is another in the whole scheme of the question, because we fail to realize that it is perfect the way it is, I would say the way God designed it. Could you imagine a world of all you.
        The honesty get lost and the selfishness steps in, the greed and the looks, all plays tricks on modern mankind. 
        That's why this was  never meant to be about any one person ,but rather about us, but that is only wishful thinking at this time.
        Bless.

And that also would be another thing they would have to think about , because you will be holding a greater position.

3. Cagsil profile image69

To answer your question- if one wasn't able to see or perceive one's own reflection, then self awareness would be a much slower process and life would be worse.

4. A Thousand Words profile image69
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, I wonder! What an interesting question. I couldn't even wrap my mind around such a scenario. I think it's hard to say if it'd be better or worse. The level of trust people had for each other would definitely be something almost unknown to us now. But, if it were something we accustomed to, whose to say whether it would be better or worse. Man, I wish I could create a temporary universe with this in play and see how it would play out.

Quite awesome ,but don't rule out anything , this life is all we have and I have seen some wonders already.

5. Cara.R profile image65
      Cara.Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sky9106,

It would change a person. I have a link but not sure I can post it here. If I can, I'll send it to you. It's about a woman, 6 months before her wedding, who decided to not look in the mirror for a year. She has a website documenting the whole thing.

Don't too much understand the forum but i am learning. Cara I responded to you but it seems to have disappeared. I would love to see this.

6. phillippeengel profile image81
      phillippeengelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A reflection merely tells you what you look like. You might be piqued or satisfied with your appearance, but what is important is that you refrain from being too calculative about beauty because nature will take care of itself.

thanks phillippeengel, It's a point that is heading in an unselfish direction, and that's what matters best.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

..and deprive my eyes of seeing my own beauty?!?!?!?!

Nice to see you Cagsil. You really thing worse ?

Yes worse. How would you like to live all of your life without ever knowing you actually lived?

That we won't know. The question is not being able to see oneself . as the their own physicality. not knowledge of existence.
          Was proposing trying to remove one aspect of our existence that is known to have caused unwise conflicts in the past.

You cannot remove one aspect of our existence without making a conscious effort to do so, which requires self awareness.

Still have plenty to learn about this forum , I thought your post would be on the bottom. Now I got it.
              That why I left the question in the tense of "do you think , life would have been"  what's that past something?
              It's one of those questions , if is was, or would it have been? It's not taking out now that we already come to know , because it can't be re done.
              So what you think?

And as I said, if things continued as it was, without self awareness and the ability to perceive the world around us, then no life would have been worse and the simple fact is that if self awareness did not grow as it did, then humankind would already be extinct.

Would they then have been living according to any order or plan , like Gods plan ? Believe it or not I am just checking Moses and the children of Israel.
                  So are you saying that self awareness, is somewhat responsible for the longevity of the race?
                  Or probably by keeping that self awareness in check that helped preserve the species?

3. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I think there would be many benefits had mankind  not learnt to recognise his own reflection.  Our obsession with appearance and our unhappiness if it falls below the standards set by a beauty obsessed society can be an obstacle in life, which we could do without.  Having said that, I don't believe soiciety has always been as obsessed with beauty as it is today.

Bless. That's without saying , we , well all humanity is we, this obsession was definitely not one of such predisposed or sought after in the fake way it is today.
      But the truth is, from my individual observation. it went down a bit , that's if I am seeing correctly .  lol
      I actually think it would have also , but to each his rightful own , and I really do appreciate all answers .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)