Weekly Topic Inspiration: Keeping Kids Healthy

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (99 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Last week, AEvans suggested that we choose a topic related to children’s advocacy, so this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration theme is keeping your kids healthy!

Whether you have children or not, writing about children’s health is a great thing to do. We were, after all, all children at some point, and most certainly we have some children in our lives, so take this week’s theme as an opportunity to write about things like children’s nutrition, common kids’ injuries, pediatricians, infant health, child allergies, and the like!

Here are some titles you can consider using that I have already keyword researched and found to be promising:
    5 Major Kids Health Issues Every Parent Should Address
    How to Maintain Kids’ Health
    How to Fight Childhood Obesity
    A Primer on Healthy Eating for Kids
    Nutrition for Kids 101
    5 Delicious and Healthy Meals for Kids
    The 5 Most Common Childhood Illnesses
    Important Tips on Hygiene for Kids
    Fun Fitness for Kids
    10 Health Tips for Kids
    A Guide to Children’s Mental Health
    5 Healthy Habits for Kids
    An Essential Guide to Health and Safety for Children
    The Basic Nutritional Requirements for Children
    The Importance of Dental Health for Kids

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. chelseacharleston profile image60
      chelseacharlestonposted 12 years agoin reply to this
        Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed you can! I feel like the things you've outlined should be built into some sort of Child's Bill of Rights!

2. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When love is the first thing on any list, you just can't go wrong!

2. algarveview profile image73
      algarveviewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some tips and home medicines on how to deal with children's breathing difficulties. Hope it's helpful...
      http://algarveview.hubpages.com/hub/COU … t-of-ideas

It's not a fun issue, but you've addressed it well. Thanks, algarveview!

3. debbie roberts profile image70
      debbie robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm feeling in need of a little inspiration and I think your WTI is just what I'm looking for....Just got to get the cogs into gear and see what follows!!

Hurrah!

4. Axaflaxar profile image38
      Axaflaxarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here is my Hub On Exercise With Your Child. I hope it helps the little ones
      http://axaflaxar.hubpages.com/hub/Exers … hem-Better

Yay! Exercise is so important for kids. Glad you joined the WTI round!

5. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just saw this weeks topic, I published one about the school lunch program and child obesity on 01/06.  I would like to link it here in participation, though wanted to have proper permission in doing so first.

6. profile image52
      ArnoldMcIntoshposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Read HubPages TOS please, you are spamming on the forums, not allowed here or in anywhere in publication on the site.

1. cardelean profile image87
          cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They don't care.  These avatars and profiles are created just for that reason.  Just report it so it gets removed.

1. profile image0

I did.  It gets annoying though.  Most days it doesn't bother me, but yesterday it was all over "hopping hubs" and such.

7. sholland10 profile image83
      sholland10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw this topic earlier this week.  I would like to participate.  I just finished my hub.  I will follow the directions above.  May I post it here, too?  Thanks! smile

1. Melovy profile image93
        Melovyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Susan, and yes, you post the link here.

1. sholland10 profile image83

Thanks, Melovy!  I already wrote the hub after thinking about it this week, so I was unable to place it in the "answer this question" as stated above. sad  This is my first time to write for a Weekly Hub Topic.

8. sholland10 profile image83

Here is my my hub: http://sholland10.hubpages.com/_9g6g4fj … d-and-Body

Kids need play time in order to lead lives that are healthy and balanced.  smile

Hear hear! I'm glad you've made that point.

1. sholland10 profile image83

Thanks, Simone!  It took me back to my childhood!  smile

2. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

Is it me or is this right up my alley? Good suggestion, AEvans!

3. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Great topic AEvans! Thanks for the niche topic ideas Simone! Should be a fun one and for a really good cause!

4. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

OK - jumped right on this because I was already thinking about writing a hub on how to get kids to brush and floss their teeth.  I have 4 kids and I feel like I have to remind them daily!

http://stephhicks68.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … heir-Teeth

p.s. great weekly topic inspiration!

1. K9keystrokes profile image85

Some really fun ideas for healthy teeth practices. How cute is that tooth brushing song video!? Great job!

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
        stephhicks68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9!  I'm looking forward to reading other hubs on this week's topic.

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Oh. My. Gosh. Children brushing their teeth are ADORABLE!!!!!!!

.... oh, nice Hub!

Hahaa, seriously though. You're going to be a hard act to follow this week! Awesome advice- and that stuff makes a big difference!

Hahahaha Simone - they are cute kids.  I actually thought about posing my own children brushing their teeth for me to take photographs, but I wrote this when they were at school today.  And babies are cuter.  :-)

3. cardelean profile image87

Great guide Steph! 

And Simone, your comment cracked me up.  I CANNOT imagine that you are not good around kids.  But if you need some extra practice, I'd gladly send mine to you!  wink

5. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Looks like a great topic, hopefully I can get one in!

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

me too   smile

6. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image93
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 12 years ago

Yes, Steph is a hard act to follow smile.  I can never compete with the Wiggles so I won't even try. Raising healthy kids is so important to me, I hope I can find the time to participate on this one.

Tracy - glad I found you and your hubs.  Loved the last one you wrote on temper tantrums.  From one harried mother of 4 to another... Steph

7. KrystalD profile image67
    KrystalDposted 12 years ago

I love this topic and I could not resist throwing my hat in smile Children are a precious resource in this world and it is up to all of us to keep them healthy and happy. This hub concerns their mental health.

http://krystald.hubpages.com/hub/A-Guid … tal-Health

This is quite useful, especially since kids' mental health is hardly a clear, straightforward issue! Your advice is fabulous.

8. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I am preparing to write a couple and I am also going back to my FB friends and I am going to see what they are working on. Thanks for creating my topic, it should be fun. smile

9. Marie Gail profile image76
    Marie Gailposted 12 years ago

Here are my ideas for keeping kids healthy from the beginning.

http://mariegail.hubpages.com/hub/Healt … r-Toddlers

I love your ideas, Marie! If only more parents had time to pack healthy vegetable snacks for their kids. It really does make a big difference!

10. Melovy profile image93
    Melovyposted 12 years ago

What a great topic this is AEvans and Simone! This is my first hub on the topic, and it won’t be the last, I’ve got 2 more started and yet another planned.
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/Ten-Tips … Vegetables

Oh, so glad to hear this is the first of more to come, since it's a fab Hub! You've tackled a difficult quandary exceedingly well here.

11. thebookmom profile image69
    thebookmomposted 12 years ago

3 healthy habits to help your kids develop and some fun ideas about teaching them that "food is fuel" http://thebookmom.hubpages.com/hub/Heal … be-Healthy

Such good habits- and I love the lessons, too!

12. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 12 years ago

This seems to be interesting. I will definintely consider writing a hub about one of the subjects.

I hope you do, Made!

13. AEvans profile image71

I have a couple cooking that will be up later on today. smile

Simone I like the title to one so I used it. Thanks bunches! smile

14. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Ok, here's my contribution for this week's topic.  Helping kids learn to meditate.

http://cardelean.hubpages.com/hub/Medit … and-Spirit

This is AWESOME! The more kids (and adults!) meditate, the better!

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Simone! The world is a better place with 'relaxed' and consciously aware people of all ages.   Great hub!  Wish I had thought of it! lol

3. K9keystrokes profile image85

Briliant!! big_smile

15. algarveview profile image73
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

Still learning. Again but in the right place.
    http://algarveview.hubpages.com/hub/COU … t-of-ideas

You can post wherever in the thread you like, algarveview, though it is true that most folks are looking near the end of the thread for all the newest posts big_smile

16. stephhicks68 profile image86

Here's my next submission for the week's topic.  I have had Type 1 diabetes for nearly a decade and a cousin of mine has lived with it since he was 9.

Hoping to help families that are facing a diagnosis of juvenile diabetes - the symptoms, treatment, coping and some answers to FAQ:

http://stephhicks68.hubpages.com/hub/Ju … s-Diabetes

Absolutely stellar, this is! I've learned a TON from your Hub. I think this is a fantastic resource for families with Type 1 diabetes!

Thanks Simone!  I wish I had something like this to read before my diagnosis.... wink

This offers fantastic information. I shared it on FB yesterday and many of my personal friends have agreed that it is outstanding. I wouldn't expect anything less... wink

Thanks so much!  Lots and lots of great hubs this week on this topic!  smile

17. AEvans profile image71

Wow, I was really surprised by what the five most common childhood illnesses are!

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many more, but those are the most common. RSV is the most dangerous and the most deadly in infants.Impetigo is nasty and we have seen that in ER. I believe teaching your kids to wash their hands can lower the chances of spreading germs. smile

Yikes! I'm all for that!

18. Lynn3 profile image63
    Lynn3posted 12 years ago

Just want to share my hints for healthy kids by writing about healthy eating for kids. I'm new at this and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I've enjoyed reading others' thoughts and suggestions on this topic.

Hey Lynn! So glad you're joining us! I see you created a Hub answering the Weekly Topic Inspiration question- great tips!

What Hubbers often do is also share links to the Hubs they've published within the week's theme in this thread.

I'm going to do that for you! http://lynn3.hubpages.com/hub/Simple-Ti … at-Healthy

1. Lynn3 profile image63
        Lynn3posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Simone. That is what I wanted to do, but I don't quite know how. Still in the learning proccess. Thanks for reading my hub.

19. Melovy profile image93

Hub number 2 from me. It’s been a long haul getting this one done, but it’s on a subject I think is very important.
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-P … oestrogens

Yeep! No kidding! Xenoestrogens are bad news. And I hadn't heard much about them before O_O

I about fell over when I read that Xenoestrogens are found in the lining of just about every canned food (even organic) can...frightening.

1. Melovy profile image93
        Melovyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

K9keystrokes, that’s pretty much how I felt when I started getting emails from manufacturers in reply to my queries about their organic canned foods.  I had read that ‘almost all’ cans had this in their linings and assumed the ones that didn’t would be organic, but that wasn’t so. A large British supermarket chain was very polite in their reply and since then have changed their packaging so organic pulses are in cartons - whether my email to them had any effect I have no idea. One small manufacturer sent me an incredibly rude reply, that more or less translated as I was stupid and neurotic. 
        When the EU announced the ban on BPA in babies’ bottles I was delighted, and not just because I’d been proved right! :-)

Thanks for reading the hub, and Simone, thanks to you too.

20. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Sorry I'm so late, wasn't sure how to get this into the WTI question with the video application...so I did it the only way I could.

Anyway, kids who are busy and entertained feel healthy and safe emotionally, mentally, as well as physically; don't you think? cool

Who knew an old ski sock could bring so much fun...

http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/2ca614

HubHugs to the room~
    K9

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I loved your video, I really did.  I was thinking my kids might be a little old to do this...  Then, I thought "oh what the heck, I will make a sock puppet myself WITHOUT them."  I used to make them when I was a kid, great memories.  But, I must confess mine weren't nearly as cool.  You know:  nothing more than button eyes and some lame nose that was always falling off.  Anyway, I really enjoyed your hub, K9!

Tehee! This definitely wins the award for most fun Hub of the week! Awesome video, K9!!! HubHugs!

@wordscribe and Simone~ MMWWAAHH!! Thanks! tongue

1. cardelean profile image87

I was watching the video during my lunch and got so caught up in it that I was late picking my students up!  hmm  So I'll haveto watch it later when I get home but I can say I wish I had seen this a few days earlier, I would have planned this craft for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow!

Sorry you were late! It does make a super fun and interactive project for parties without a doubt! So glad you found it acceptable, big_smile! HubHugs~

smile Thanks!

21. MummyDearest profile image46
    MummyDearestposted 12 years ago

Hi Simone,

I've just written a hub about bullying in school. Hope it can be considered in this week's theme.

http://mummydearest.hubpages.com/_s9gpl … obe-Prince

Gosh, what a sad story! Bullying is definitely a children's health issue.

22. nikkiraeink profile image60
    nikkiraeinkposted 12 years ago
    1. nikkiraeink profile image60
      nikkiraeinkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Four Sneaky Ways to Make Your Children Eat Fruit and Veggies
      http://nikkiraeink.hubpages.com/hub/Fiv … nd-Veggies

1. Jlbowden profile image85
        Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We all were kids once and as youngsters we didn't find breakfast to be at the top of the menu. I wanted to write about the topic of breakfast being an important meal for kids. Not only because of the essential vitamins and minerals needed to keep them alert in class, but also to benefit them with a balanced diet without always having to eat a stack of pancakes, or eating a wholesome bowl of oatmeal. So my hub is basically about a few alternative breakfast ideas, that any parent can pick up at the local supermarket. Kids as many of us also know are also always in a hurry to get out the door. To add they like to fuss with their meals, or find them downright boring. I figured this article would help remind those moms and other parents, that there are substitute breakfast alternatives to give to their children, that were around when we were kids. And at the same time they will benefit from all of the same vitamins and minerals found within these alternative breakfast solutions. You can read about it further in my article at this link http://jlbowden.hubpages.com/hub/Substi … ternatives

Smart, nikkiraeink!! And that's an interesting alternative approach, Jlbowden!

23. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

Supporting children with cancer is more than creating a Barbie with no hair.  More than anything, they need your love and support, and opportunities to grow - that will help them survive, and move beyond this traumatic disease. http://eliminatecancer.hubpages.com/hub … ald-Barbie

I really enjoyed this hub, it had me thinking.  Just wanted to say welcome to HubPages!

Me too. You've discussed the topic quite well! I've been hearing about it peripherally for days and it was nice to read something a bit more thorough about it.

24. Melovy profile image93

My latest on this subject. Being British, I would never have known to use this title, as it’s not an expression we commonly use, but my husband watches far more American television than I do, so he was able to enlighten me! smile smile
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/Nutrition-for-Kids-101

25. stephhicks68 profile image86

Last submission for the week - inspired by my own questions of whether it is appropriate to let my 12 year old ride in the front seat, or my 9 year old twins to ride without booster seats:

stephhicks68.hubpages.com/hub/Child-Car-Seat-Requirements-Protect-the-Health-and-Safety-of-Your-Children

Just thought I'd tell you we have weird things in common:  we both live in Oregon, we both have a 12 year old and we both have (the weirdest one of all) 9 year old TWINS.  Wow!  smile

That is funny, wordscribe!  I think Oregon is a great place to raise kids!  What a coincidence with our kids' ages!  Have a great weekend, Steph

Such a good guide, stephhicks68!

26. alissaroberts profile image78
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

Here is my hub dealing with health and safety for children and when to call the doctor. I have another idea I am working on - hopefully I can get it finished tomorrow smile Here is my link:

http://alissaroberts.hubpages.com/hub/A … the-Doctor

1. debbie roberts profile image70
      debbie robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I must be the slowest hub writer around and that was me on a mission!! My hub is about why we must encourage a healthy attitude towards eating and exercising in our children....Hang on just got to get the link....:d...
      http://debbieroberts.hubpages.com/t/2ca225

Yay, that Hub is super useful alissaroberts! And good one, debbie roberts! It's so important to have a more thoughtful approach toward eating and nutrition these days. Jeez, such good Hubs this week!

27. Melovy profile image93

Yet another one from me. I think this is hub Number 4 - I’m losing count and still have more! I LOVE this topic. This one is a recipe hub and required a bit of help from one of my daughters to make the healthy snack.
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/5-Delici … s-for-Kids

Melovy, you are on such a fantastic roll! This might be my favorite Hub of all the Hub's you've published for this topic- mostly because I LOVE all of the step-by-step photos, and the meals look GREAT! I've got to give some of these a try.

28. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

This took me forever this week to complete, but it's finally finished! I was going to cover the five common illnesses for children, but it was getting to be way too long. I focused on three: RSV, Croup (which my son had twice!) and Whooping Cough.

http://thepracticalmommy.hubpages.com/_ … -Pertussis

It was worth the wait! I've learned a bunch from this.

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
        ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Simone! smile

29. alissaroberts profile image78
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

Finally finished my second hub on this week's topic. It is still dealing with the health and safety of children but this one concentrates on preventing common kid injuries. Here is the link:

http://alissaroberts.hubpages.com/hub/A … d-Injuries

Yay! This is awesome!!! Your prevention tips are first rate.

30. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! The new WTI thread is up! Since I've been hearing and reading about a bunch of folks' home improvement projects, I thought that make a good topic for the following week. Stop by the new thread to join in on the fun!

31. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 12 years ago

So, I'm a little late with this. Have been really busy this week with other things, but here it is finally!

http://workingmomwm.hubpages.com/hub/Fi … -Kids-Love

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)