Weekly Topic Inspiration: Garden Decor and Art

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

Top o’ the morning to you, Hubbers! This week’s WTI is about garden and lawn art.

Decorating isn’t just for inside the home! The right accents and creative decor items can give the perfect style and ambiance to any lawn or garden. Have you created your own magical angel or fairy garden? Do you adore chic minimalist wind chimes or rustic wheelbarrows? Do you make your own lawn decor items or decorate with clever thrift shop finds? We invite you to share your advice and tips on lawn and garden decor for our new Topic, Garden Decor and Art.

Ideas for exceptional Hubs include how-to instructions for making your own lawn and garden ornaments, advice for decorating with found objects and unusual items, and step-by-step instructions for creating a theme garden.

To join in on this week's challenge by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green "answer this question" button.
    3)     Instead of answering the question in short form, click the gray "make a Hub about it" button. 
    4)    Give your Hub a title that follows our guidelines on crafting successful, competitive, search-friendly titles, which namely involves...

A. Creating a title that is short and descriptive, matching what someone would type into a search engine when looking for information on the subject.
    B. Researching the keywords (the things people might type into search engines) by Googling them to make sure that the topic is not already extensively covered online and that you can beat the top results.
    C. Covering a subject about which you are particularly passionate- or in which you have unique, useful expertise.

5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    Make sure the images you use are legally used and properly attributed so that your Hub has a chance of being selected as a Hub of the Day.
    7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

If you missed last week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration, you can find it here.

Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey everyone, thanks so much for participating! Stop by and check out this week's new Weekly Topic Inspiration: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/110973

2. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEASE let there be a Hub on lawn gnomes this week. PLEAAAAASE!!!!

1. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha...That would be fun reading those hubs with gnomes, Simone. How I wish I´m at the moment in Germany to take some photos of German gardens with loads of gnomes. I´ll be waiting to read those hubs. Happy Weekend!

3. Simone Smith profile image88

I love this topic, Christy! I've seen the most interesting pieces of art in folks' gardens, and I bet a lot of Hubbers have some great examples they can share. I hope we'll be seeing a lot of original photos (of lawn gnomes especially). They'll make a big difference!

Oh- one big tip to those participating this week. If you're writing about a particular type of garden art you have collected and featured, consider featuring some examples through Amazon and eBay Capsules (leniently- maybe one or two products per Hub). Of course, it's best if these examples are reinforced by your original photos of those products in the field. wink

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A humorous note...

Teenagers have been known to go around and swipe everyone's garden ornaments. They then select some hapless victim and put all the stolen ornaments in their front yard.

This is a suburban  phenomena. If you happen to be the hapless victim, the correct protocol is to call the police and tell them of your adventure. The police in turn will direct all the callers reporting stolen items to your front yard to retrieve said items. They will understand. Maybe you'll want to put up a sign saying, "Take only what is yours."

If someone wants to expand the above into a hub, you have my blessings. Have a good day. smile

Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I DO hope someone writes a Hub on this!

I have a friend who helped organize something similar as a fundraising event. His church bought tons of plastic pink flamingos and took donations to secretly set them up in peoples' lawns as a prank. Of course, the volunteers removed the flamingos a few days later, but the prank victim had the option of donating $10 to have the flamingo prank passed on to the lawn of their choice. So clever!

1. Hawksbeard profile image61
        Hawksbeardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did this fundraiser for a school that I was the principal! The kids LOVED it and it was very successful...hmmm...I'm new to this site and haven't written a Hub yet...hmmm...I have pictures and printouts still...hmmm...maybe this will be my first submission! Thanks for the inspiration, Christy!!!  lol

I would LOVE to read that Hub, Hawksbeard! Please do write it!

1. Hawksbeard profile image61
            Hawksbeardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking for my stuff right now! Haha

Thank you for the encouragement. smile

2. CRe8tiVeLiFe profile image67
        CRe8tiVeLiFeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is an awesome idea! I love it! Something to think about doing for a fundraiser for my kids' school. Thanks for sharing!

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
        Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They just did this in my area. I wondered what would happen if the flamingos were placed in your yard and you never called to report them? I figured it would be funny.

My friend's church group always left a letter telling the people what was going on and who pranked them (and that they could pass on the prank for a small donation, of course). smile

2. cashmere profile image77
      cashmereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This happened to all our name plates in the hostel once. Some student picked up the name plates from each room and jumbled them with other rooms. We were looking for our name plates for three days to sort out the mess!

Oh no! sad

5. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Well, I'm not sure this meets with this week's criteria so I won't be upset if it disappears.  Plus, last week you said we could use an already published hub, which this is.  Those two things aside I'm linking to my hub about backyard ponds:
    http://tillsontitan.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … kyard-Pond

Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi tillsontitan, Your pond Hub is awesome, but the Weekly Topic Inspiration is meant to highlight specific newly-created Topics, so we do ask that Hubs be written in/about those Topics to participate. (Though Backyard and Garden Ponds might be a good future WTI). I'm going to leave this posted, though because I think it's an excellent example of a quality Hub that others might benefit from. smile

1. tillsontitan profile image81
        tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christy.  I thought it might not qualify but I am honored to have it left posted as an example!

6. Simone Smith profile image88

Stop the presses, y'all! Christy just let me know JAMIJAY published a garden gnome Hub: http://jamijay.hubpages.com/hub/history … rden-gnome

It covers their history and is most fascinating! History and garden gnomes... two of my favorite things. The Hub is splendidly thorough and has lots of great photos, too. I'm pleased as punch!

1. JamiJay profile image74
      JamiJayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you are happy with it Simone!
      I saw the topic inspiration and I immediately knew what had to be written smile

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88
        Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL! this thread is really funny! Great hub on gnomes, but don't you guys think that some of the photos of garden gnomes are pretty creepy? Just sayin . . .! :-)

7. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 10 years ago

Here is my attempt and garden art- It was a fun topic!
    Any comments or feedback welcomed. Thanks smile

http://summerberrie.hubpages.com/hub/Ga … rden-Decor

Awesome Hub, summerberrie!

1. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks- love the topic. Spring has bloomed here in the south. Makes me ready to spend my days in the garden before it gets too hot. Again, thanks.

8. saqisgd profile image56
    saqisgdposted 10 years ago

good

9. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 10 years ago

http://davidlivermore.hubpages.com/hub/ … ee-Trimmer

This one may be a bit of a stretch, but I feel it's appropriate.  Having properly trimmed trees can make or break a nice garden!

10. apicodesigns profile image58
    apicodesignsposted 10 years ago

Wow ! what a great and nice suggestion you all have written but gnomes hubs sounds really interesting. but guys i love my hubs that are related to interior designing.

11. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

I think I forgot to post my completion  Here it is:
    http://barbat79.hubpages.com/hub/Life-G … t-11691024

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)