Do you submit your hub articles to ping services?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. BlissfulWriter profile image70
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

Wordpress submits each post to ping services like pingomatic.  Should we be submitting our Hubs to these services or submit a ping each time we post a new Hub?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good questions. I don't but answer would be interesting.

2. learner365 profile image71
      learner365posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about the individual Hubs but i have personally submitted my main hubpage URL to pingomatic. I would also like to know if we should ping the individual Hubs every time we post.

2. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Great question. I look forward to reading all the answers.

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Why would you? Each time you ping your work 3 words fall off your page.. did you never consider that? sad

4. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I was pinging my little heart out for a while, but it became too cumbersome and I was too dumb to figure out what Learner365 did: just use pinger or feedshark for the main page.

Someone said to go to Google and Bing and index the main page there. I tried that and hope that it will help.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

Pinging alerts some search engines that new content is now available on your blog. You can ping just the hub or your profile page/ home page of your blog, etc... the search engine spider will be alerted to look for something new.  Many people here, me included, ping and get indexed by Google within a few hours, sometimes sooner.  Now that we are all on sub domains, it is important to ping at least our own main page(profile) only once every time we publish something new.  Do not send out massive amounts of pings using several different services, this can get you banned from the search engines for spamming their servers.

Pinging is not going to get you a backlink, it's not going to bring your hub higher in the serps, and it's not going to bring you more traffic.  All it will do is alert the search engines that you have new content.  However, the sooner you are indexed the sooner you can attain the backlinks, traffic, and serp position.

1. Don Simkovich profile image60
      Don Simkovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've earned a credible spot in my mind with your thorough answers on the forums and your hubs.

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks, Richard.  I used to ping every time I edited my hubs, but had been too  busy lately.  So, thanks for the reminder.  Cheers!

6. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I haven't used pings in many, many years.

If you are known to Google as a site that publishes regularly, they will crawl incredibly quickly.  I have seen access from Google searches in my web logs within fifteen minutes at times.  I don't have access to logs here, of course, but I bet it's pretty quick.

I also notice now that if I mention a new post on Google+, the G+ mention is indexed almost instantly, 

I don't know (or care) when Bing finds it.

But really, unless you are publishing something that is really news, why would you care?  Fifteen minutes or a day, so what?  If you wanted it there yesterday, you should have written it then smile

7. Garrett Mickley profile image77
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I ping each hub when I post it, and I pinged my home page once we switched over to sub domains, but any more than that looks fishy.  Don't ping a lot, just when you write something new.

8. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I used to ping each new hub, but never found it very effective in getting indexed any quicker.  In fact, I've had at least one hub that took over 6 weeks to get indexed by google.

Far better, in my opinion, is to use WebMaster Tools to request that a googlebot visit the hub.  Indexing seldom takes over 24 hours that way.

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I only Ping when it's an article/page that needs to get in the search engines RIGHT NOW. For instance I pinged an article that I wrote within an hour of Facebook updating their news feed. Because the information was immediately relevant I knew that I'd get hits straight away but then it would likely change again. It was indexed within 5 minutes and had 20,000 hits within a day.

If it's an evergreen topic though, one day doesn't matter. Pinging only really gets you indexed quicker, and if your site is well known, as Pcunix said, pinging will only change the indexing time by a few minutes most of the time.

I do have my Wordpress sites set up to automatically ping through Pingler though.

Also agree with livewithrichard.

10. freelanceauthor profile image59
    freelanceauthorposted 12 years ago

I always do every time a new hub is published for SEO purposes. Many of my hub visitors are coming from search engines. Pinging your hub will also make it indexed by search engines faster

11. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I ping my hubs when I have changed the title, edited and tweaked it or added more content to it..Has been helpful.

12. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

I usually don't bother with it because I've not noticed a significant difference with or without on my own blogs.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I don't bother with anything that might conceivably annoy Google.  As I only write everbrown content it doesn't really matter much.

Everbrown?  It means no one ever goes near it.

1. lorenmurcia profile image86
      lorenmurciaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. Don Simkovich profile image60
      Don Simkovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, maybe you should write a hub on everbrown content! Could be a niche area to exploit.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not too shabby an idea.  Could be a new angle on SEO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)