Any advice for an artist that want to start selling?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

Hi, I've been painting for a while and the main destination of my art are the walls of my house. Some make it out of bounds, as gifts to friends, one I donated to a no-profit organization for a fundraising.

Now I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering selling to the public... but where do I start?

I'd like to hear your advice on what could be a successful strategy to approach the art market.
    Please share your art selling tips on this thread (or write a hub about it and post the link here).  smile)
    Ciao

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

_________

Get a Free store and sell your art (and other things here)
      You get a lot of traffic here

http://www.zazzle.com/inspiringcreations*

Once in a while, I sell my art online at either of these two places

http://www.artbreak.com/

http://www.foliolink.com/sales.asp?gcli … 4AodCHg3AA

It saves me having to do a lot of extra work

Robie Benveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Deborah,
        I added them to my list of online sites to check out.
        Speaking of which, here it is:

Deviantart.com     (5 million visit/month)
        Zazzle.com
        Fineartamerica.com
        Redbubble.com
        Imagekind.com          (200K/month)
        Yessy.com
        Artistrising.com           (50k/month)

http://www.artbreak.com/
        http://www.foliolink.com

2. Dbro profile image93
      Dbroposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Robie, here is a hub I created in answer to your question.  I hope it's helpful to you!

http://dbro.hubpages.com/t/2e4752

- Dbro

Dbro, what an awesome hub you wrote, full of down to earth information, and practical advice.
        Thanks a lot!  smile

1. Dbro profile image93
          Dbroposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you liked my hub, Robie!  I truly wrote from my own experience, so I'm glad it will maybe helpful to you.  My best advice is to stay encouraged and positive (even though it can be hard at times) and don't be afraid to try.  I know you will be successful if you believe in yourself!

2. penofone profile image46
    penofoneposted 12 years ago

Art world is a tricky business to start I would try to justify the time you spent making the paintings and figure in the cost of supplies etc.  If you truly believe you have the best of the art market maybe qualify yourself by going to art.com  and seeing if your work can truly stand the test of time. It is true that art sells itself but depending on the person  buying art is in the eye of the beholder as they say.  Beginning less time spent is the best measure of price. Try a local community center or coffee shop for their art is more appreciated at that level., if you are ready you can move to a gallery but you must have a portfolio ready. A certain style of art is the key if you have a style it goes a long way with a gallery. Personally I am a professional artist but keep my clients on a low profile and sell on average 1 per month at a couple of good galleries. $1000 for a small one and they take 40%.
    Difficult to measure the effect of a bad economy, even in a depression era art takes a hold of the inner circle of wealthy americans. Try to achieve a sale at a small art show or farmers market.
    We believe!

Anish

Hi Anish,
      you wrote a lot of great advice, I think that before approaching the galleries, I'll try local art association, artist groups and the alike. Setting a price for my own art is very tricky business. You don't want to overprice it, but not even under price it and make it look bad. Most of all for me it's about founding the courage to ask the amount for my art that would make me feel OK about separating from my "babies" - I wonder if the fear of separation is a normal feeling, I hope it's only for beginners, and it is not going to last.
      I have come of my work available for prints at fineartamerica.com, but I have not done much to advertise it and being active on the site, I have not sold a thing yet.
      I'm gathering that doing your own marketing can be quite an extensive work! 
      Ciao smile

1. penofone profile image46
        penofoneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love your sense of findng the right ideas to promote your work through a marketing campaign , I could use that strategy.  Don't fall into the trap of not going the full 9 yards to finding the perfect gallery to present your work.  In all of its worst days I find that finding your best painting is the most difficult. Selling isn't everything if you want to sell for instance, the frame can be hard to manage a price. Everything is available at fine art store to get the foot in the door as they say.
        For your treasures keep it to the best.
        All the best,
        Anish

Thank you Anish, very wise and insightful smile
          Galleries have very specific styles and target audience, finding the right one is definitely important. And having a portfolio to show them is key.
          Soooo....
          First thing first: I need to get off my laptop and stand in front of the easel!
          Ciao
          R

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I had been looking at this thread, Robie Benve, hoping someone could give you an answer. Fortunately, you got some suggestions. Good luck!

I'm glad I've got some suggestions here on the forum and  some more on the questions sections. It seems you can never know enough when it comes to sell your arts/crafts. smile Thanks for the support Website Examiner!

the question is posted here:
      How do you get started selling your art?

4. NiaG profile image85
    NiaGposted 12 years ago

Have you tried Etsy.com? I've never tried it but have considered it.

Hi Nia, I have heard a lot of good things about Etsy, there are sure a lot of handmade things for sale there, including original art, but I have never pursued it (yet).
      I'd like to talk with someone that has been using it successfully to sell paintings, and get the scoop and tips for success, especially because it's not free.

1. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Etsy's very inexpensive to sell on, but there's no guarantee that there will be a market for your originals in any particular place. Shipping paintings is tricky, too. I suggest researching what small local galleries are interested in and getting acquainted with their owners.

Hi Peelander, I checked Etsy out, and it's not as expensive as I thought. The good news (for me) is that I thought you could only sell originals on Etsy, but I've seen artists selling prints, which should be much easier to ship.

Each listing on Etsy costs $0.20 USD
          And there is a transaction fee of 3.5% of the item price.

I like the suggestion of getting acquainted with the local small galleries, it makes a lot of sense. Thansk

5. Lady Bo Chats profile image41
    Lady Bo Chatsposted 12 years ago

I think you should follow your dream you could be the next Mona Lisa!!!!! Enjoy sounds like a  great experience.

Lady Bo, I would have never thought that in my 40s I'd be following my dream, but I am!! Thanks for the encouragement! smile

6. kccamp profile image60
    kccampposted 12 years ago

Very interesting thread. I'm in the same boat for wanting to sell my artwork. Just recently I've started to get more serious with my art again.
    From conversations I've had with a few artist friends, I was told to get involved with all the local art groups and gallerys around. Some I know go to all the different festivals around nearby city.
    I don't have alot of knowledge on this topic but for myself I need to first get a good portfolio/body of work together....then research and approach the different gallerys. And I also thought about maybe getting some prints made of my best work (good for doing shows and festivals).
    Selling over the internet is another idea I want to explore later....basically I want to use all the available outlets out there.
    Anyways I'm just brainstorming here.

Good luck on your adventures in the art world!

KC, thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck to you too. 
      As W. Disney said: If you can dream it, you can do it.
      We can do it! smile

7. emimemo profile image70
    emimemoposted 12 years ago

It seems to me that you already have a lot of informations selling art on-line. My paintings was listed at some gallery $1000- $1200, but didn't sell. I sold my paintings and postcards on ebay and traded a few oil paintings for dental work. (^^).
    I am interested to check those site you have listed. Thank you and good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)