Is suicide okay?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. LailaK profile image69
    LailaKposted 12 years ago

Let's say that an adult has thoroughly thought of suicide and he/she wants to implement it. Should others interfere? Should he/she be stopped? In the end the person is an adult and it's his/her life. What is your opinion on this issue?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The question you asked is "Is suicide OK?" and to that question yes I think it is.

Suicide is apparently illegal in many nations, like as if that is what the person contemplating it is going got be worried about.

Making it illegal is just an excuse for an insurance company to get out of paying out for it.

Thoughts of suicide are a major sign and symptom of a mental breakdown of sorts in adults, and depression in teenagers.

Both can be helped, if they look for it.

Most times they don't.

But yes, if I found someone about to commit suicide by doing something crazy in a public place, I would want to talk them out of it, or talk them down, or stop them.

Not because they have offended me or my beliefs, but because they are a fellow human being.

Everything can be sorted, no matter how big the problem, if only we cared enough about our fellow man.

I DO care.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, Izzy, that everything can be sorted out and fixed.

A terminal cancer patient, in great pain and consuming enormous family financial resources for another week of life may well wish to end that life 1 week earlier, and absolutely nothing we can do will change that.  We can't make it better, we can't sort it out and we can't fix it.  If we truly care, we will let them go, and even assist to make it easier for them.

Other than this, though, I fully agree.  Any public suicide needs stopped; those people are, I think, asking for our help by making it public.  A teen in decent health can be helped.  Most suicides can - that "sorting it" can work if we but care.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You see how deep this subject gets so quickly?

Someone with a terminal illness, for example. No-one need know they committed suicide. This has been going on for years, but it is only being read about recently.

Now, they want the right to die and for everyone to know it.

People with terminal illnesses are prescribed morphine. It not only kills pain, it depresses the respiratory system and brings on early death.

All a doctor has to do is up the prescribed dose, and the patient dies, a peaceful death.

All the healthy people in the world who have thoughts of suicide are told they must live (legally). Why?

I actually agree they must live, because suicide creates more problems and more anguish then it solves.

But I do believe it shouldn't be illegal.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Under severe circumstance I think it should be OK such as terminal illness

LailaKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would cancer be considered a terminal illness? I am asking because when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer, she became very depressed and always started talking of death. I felt that sometimes she inferred that death is better than living through her misery.

3. CWanamaker profile image93
      CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem with suicide is that it is a selfish act that negatively impacts so many other people.  Suicide does irreparable to families and friends. So yes, people need to intervene when they believe that suicide is imminent. Most of the time, the suicidal person needs some help to be able to cope with their current situation in life.

4. profile image0
      lambservantposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lalla K I hope you did not ask this question because you are thinking of harming yourself. If so, let me tell you it is not the answer. It is a permanent answer to a temporary problem. I know whereof I speak. Trust me, there is hope, because God loves you and he will carry you through. I am on the other side of my pain, and I am so glad I made it.

If this is not the case, please of course disregard my comments above, but I thought it important to ask, just in case. I asked this question once on a forum, with the intention of doing so. God bless.

Lambservant, your touching words shall never escape my mind. I appreciate your concern, however, my forum question does not at all relate to any psychological pain whatsoever. This question was merely posted to see the religious vs. non-religious views on this topic. So don't worry about me. Again, I appreciate your kind words! smile

5. justuhmaina profile image60
      justuhmainaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been reading down through here for about two minutes. The one thing that pops up is DNR. Isn't this a form of suicide. Or yet, tobacco. That is just years long suicide. Everyone know tobacco kills.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

On the whole, I believe that many suicides are at least temporarily insane.  Maybe from grief, maybe a chemical imbalance, maybe a lot of reasons.  These people need our help, not and tacit OK.

Having said that, there are also some that are not insane, but have decided after careful thought that life is not for them.  Severe physical impairment, constant uncontrollable pain, whatever.  These people should not be stopped from ending their lives as they are still capable of making decisions and those decisions should be honored.

The trick, of course, is deciding which is which.

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree fully with you.

3. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

I would totally agree there's nothing to be gained on any front by arresting someone who attempts suicide...or sentencing them to death, as has sometimes been suggested?

1. IzzyM profile image86

When my keyboard has dried out from the coffee I accidentally spilled on it, in a totally accidental volatile manner, while reading your post, I might reply:)

4. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

Committing suicide is not the best solution to one problem. Believing in God with strong faith can solve whatever problem you might be facing. Why will you terminate your own life, when it is against God's law.

I totally see your point, incomeguru. But you see some people are not religious and most of the time, they do not see why life during a difficulty teaches very valuable morals.

5. forall profile image60
    forallposted 12 years ago

It is not Okay to suicide. We can pass by moments of depression, when we feel that all this life isn't valuable and that we have nothing to do here. But for everyone of us, when reaching the limit between life and death, we all wish to come back to life again.
    Right, the person who takes this decision is an adult, but his psychological state doesn't allow him to decide.
    Many of those whose life is finished wish to be in our place, alive. Why to make an end to our life then? Every problem has a solution. And every moment of depression stays just A MOMENT. We can't judge our whole life as depressive and a failure just because of A MOMENT.

I really like your argument. Any other ideas on how to talk such individuals out of the thought of suicide or self-injury? Because some tend to be really stubborn.

1. forall profile image60
        forallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What to say more? It depends on people beliefs.  Life is a gift, a chance that many other dead humans wish to have. It is a rose, beautiful, though it contains pins.  No one's life is easy. We all pass by hard times. Just some persons are strong enough to face their problems, while some others prefer to run away even if the only destination they can run to is death.

Thanks a lot!

1. forall profile image60
            forallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome smile

6. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I don't think one's soul would be happy after suicide. We have life missions, and we forget them during physical incarnation. The further we separate from those memories, the more unhappy and imbalanced we become. I don't believe that destroying your physical body would satisfy you on the higher levels of consciousness.

7. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

I must say that I have two sides to my thoughts on this one. First to take your life because life is a dissaster of your own making is not acceptable. If you own money or have had a tragedy or a poor up bringing than the human spirit can be very resiliant and we can learn to live with the issues and still have a good life. But...let's look at assissted suicide. If a person is going to die and is going to die a terrible death that is of no mercy such as ALS, Multiplescorosis (spelling????)or another one of the cruel conditions that affect human's, than I firmly believe that by choice you should have the right to take you own life and you soul be vindicated.

I totally see your perspective, Shawn. And I think that no one deserves to have a painful and devastating death like those who die from Multiple Sclerosis. Thanks for stopping by this forum!

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

I think there are many forms and posibly degrees of suicide.
    Some take longer than others.

Sometimes we kill a small portion of ourselves each day.

One might say that choosing to smoke tobaco is one form of suicide, because in doing so, we have chosen HOW we are (probably) going to die.

If I choose to eat 5 lbs. of sugar each day this too will kill me though I am taking a bit more time in achieving my goal.  Is this form of suicide any better or worse than a 38 cal. bullet?

I didn't answer the question.   until we agree upon the full definition of what it is.  Intent of killing ourselves in the next ten minutes,  5 hours, ten days or a year ????
       I don't think Webster can decide this for us.

9. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 12 years ago

Not an option. I however agree that I should be helped to dye much later on- when there is no other sensible option left.

10. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

I believe that when someone is already dying of a terminal illness for which there is no cure, it's okay to consider suicide. Something that should be determined by their quality BUT, I wouldn't do it because at the last minute, or a week later, they could find the cure.

11. Jerami profile image58

all of the answers listed thus far are good in and of themselves! But I am wondering where do you draw the line?
       I have known people with a selfdestructive attitude who seemed hell bent on killing themselves in one fashion or another.

Take for instance an alcholic who is told that they have scerosis of the liver and if they do not quit drinking alchol they have only 6 months to a year to live.    Are they comitting suicide by continueing to drink as much as their boddy allows them to?

People with suicidal tendancies driving as fast as they can darting in and out of traffic placing everyone else in harms way?

There are hundreds of ways to self destruct.   
       So in the end; after all is said and done, is it only a bad thing to self destruct "IF" it is over in a minute or two?

When it really comes right down to it,  Anyone wishing to bring their life to an end only needs an attitude change and "IF" they can acomplish this feat; they will begin to apreciate every thing which they do have and want to do it some more.

It is all about attitude which everyone else in our lives has contributed to in our having that which we have.
       The power is in our own minds, to rercieve any and all things as we so choose.
        In closing; ....   i still haven't said yea or Nay.

12. Jerami profile image58

Anyone who thinks that there are simple answers haven't experienced any complicated issues.

13. profile image0
    lambservantposted 12 years ago

Life is sacred. It is valuable. It was given to us by God. If we know someone is suicidal, it is our responsibility to help them. I thank God for those who stopped me. Life does get better (I am not talking of painful and terminal illnesses, although I don't think they should either). I would have missed so much and would have left many friends and family devastated. I had a loved one become suicidal. I moved heaven and earth to go the their aid and get them help. I have helped a couple of friends get help as well. I have to stand before God someday and I don't want to hear the question, "why did you stand by when you knew they were going to do it? Do you not know that life and death our mine to give, not yours? Do you not value the life and soul of another person?" Personally, my relationship with God is my joy and peace in this life. Even when I am going through devastating times and suffer from depression, I know now, that this too shall pass.

14. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 12 years ago

If anyone wants to write a hub about it, I can send you some evidence that Google is advertising on a website that tells people how to kill themselves.

The site was actually being advertised for sale on Flippa yesterday. I asked for the auction to be removed but they refused. I now see that they have hidden the auction in question, so I think they have now realised what a serious subject this is.

I personally know two families that lost family members through suicide. Suicide really does badly affect their loved ones forever.

15. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Interesting question.

I think in order to answer the question, one would have to tackle the root question:

Is my life solely mine to control? do I have that right?

I've certainly been suicidal in my lifetime; but even though I feel I have control over my own life, it would be selfish of me to take my own, for the sake of my family and my loving boyfriend. No matter how much I may wish to die, I love my family and my boyfriend more.

16. yoginijoy profile image65
    yoginijoyposted 12 years ago

I would recommend that everyone watch the movie "The Sea Inside" with Javier Bardem. It is based on a true story of a Spaniard who, through an accident, became quadriplegic and lived for 20 years completely dependent for absolutely everything on family. The movie is a very unique take on suicide and its implications in society and in family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)