Q that needs to be answer: Why is HubPages the worst of social medias?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Laustk profile image39
    Laustkposted 11 years ago

In my book HubPages needs a total makeover! First of all they need to get rid of their useless staff, who let's personal extreme orthodox and conservative ideologies rule their worktime and harrassing of their users.
    How many of your articles have been banned so far and did HubPages also give you a state of the art BS explanation for banning your hubs?

Just for the record there have already been a couple of answers to the question, but apparently they have another idea of what Social Medias is than what is agreed upon in the litterature. Even though the question might seem interesting wether HubPages is a social media or not is not the subject of the following question:

Why is HubPages the worst social media in the world?

Please bid in, tell me about your experiences with HubPages - if you of some weird reason should have some positive experience please also let me know - and I will create a Hub about why this HubPage site stinks so much!

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Hubpages did stuff up last year as they attempted to regain Google rankings after the Panda slap. But you've only been here eight days so you wouldn't know about that!

Hubpages is not a social media site! It's a site to write quality content and earn money.

A quick look at your hubs show me that you're writing in saturated topics, with low quality and short articles which will likely never earn money. Maybe you should work on correcting your own hubs before taking your problems out on the site.

Laustkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thx for your comment :-)

2. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ts answer to your question is simple...because hubpages is not social media site....u r evaluating hubpages on criteria of social media site and thats wrong criteria...

Thx for your comment - appreciated :-)

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is not a social media site, so if you try to evaluate it as such, of course it will get a bad score!

There's no point judging something by the wrong standards.  I'm sure if I took your magazine and evaluated it as a novel, it would also get a bad score. 

HubPages has some features which enable members to network and socialize, but HubPages's main function is as a place to write quality, informative, magazine-style articles in return for a share in revenue.  Virtually none of our income comes from members of the social network here - over 90% of it comes from readers arriving via the search engines, just like blogs.

That revenue relies on the site and its members being able to use Google Adsense.  Google has prudish, old-fashioned rules about what topics are allowed on sites which display Adsense. Ask any Hubber and they'll tell you we all agree the rules are crazy, but none of us wants to lose our Adsense account - so we have to stick by them.

Hi Marissa and the other two commentors - I don't know where you guys get your definitions of social media from but here is one from Wikipedia:

"Social media includes web-based and mobile technologies used to turn communication into interactive dialogue. Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein define social media as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content."[1] Social media is media for social interaction as a super-set beyond social communication. Enabled by ubiquitously accessible and scalable communication techniques, social media has substantially changed the way organizations, communities, and individuals communicate."

It might be a brand mantra here that 'HubPages is not a social media but a place to write". Your interactions here with me, and the possibility to socially engage through comments and ratings certainly emphazises that HubPages as a social media. When looking at social medias as phenomenon you ought to focus on form and not content. You could write an article for an offline magazine about social medias such as YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia or HubPages and it would not be a social media article but instead a classical mass media article on social medias.

That said - Marissa I see your point in the moneymaking aspect from Adsense. And I am glad you give me that explanation, because that tells me a lot more than what the moderators have told me so far...

I wish HubPages would play with open cards and be honest about this when they banned two of my articles.... Instead of making up some weird excuse that logically didn't make sense.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

As I said, it's true there are opportunities to network, comment and rate on HubPages.  However, none of these activities has much to do with the money-earning side of the site.  Over time, HubPages has added more and more social gimmicks because the forums, commenting etc add to the activity on the site which is no doubt good for ranking.  Some of us feel there is too much emphasis on the social side now.  I wrote a Hub about HubPages Etiquette which explores that a bit more.

You're probably about to ask me - "if you don't see HP as a social media site, why are you on the forums?"  Because I should be working and I'm avoiding it.

Hi again Marissa

"Because I should be working and I'm avoiding it." Know that stuff way to well. Could you put up a link (or alternatively the title if a link will be considered advertising) to that hub on HubPages Etiquette would really love to read that one... Really sounds like you got a hang on what is happening here :-) Thx

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Posting a link is considered bad etiquette and self-promotional.  The Hub is called HubPages Etiquette.

Thx - great reading

4. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I approach my sixth year on HubPages, I've had zero Hubs banned. 

Really, all you have to do is read the rules.  Which judging by your complaints and chosen Hub topics, you've chosen not to do or neglected to do.  I can't say which, but I'm not surprised by any of the responses you've gotten from the moderation team.  To them, you seem to be blatantly ignoring a good number of the site guidelines.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Into my fourth year, and ditto. You get out of HP what you put in, and that includes adhering to guidelines. People get tickets for driving 50 in a 25 mph zone. It's really quite simple.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not if they buy tickets to the Policeman's Ball or are part of the "Good Ole Boys club"!  tongue

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
            Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That may be so. But I never got one of those pass for free cards. Guess I'm on my own. lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

That goes for me too, with only one hub being moderated for an item sold on the page which "might" upset Google.  I have no problem with my hubs being moderated by HP.  This is one area the mods seem qualified to handle correctly. 

2. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 11 years ago

None of my hubs have been banned and the staff have always been courteous and helpful when I have approached them for help... I guess you just need to follows the TOS and all is well.

Thx for your comment! Guess the TOS is the way to get in line :-)

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

The Extreme Hub Makeover forum is for those who want help with their hub. It doesn't appear that's your reason for posting your link. As others have pointed out, HP is not a social media site although it utilizes social media functions as almost every website does.

Thx for your comment :-) Well 'extreme hub makeover' should also cover HubPages themselves right? That is why I posted it here!

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

HubPages is not a social media site.  If you play by the rules, you don't get banned. When you sign on to HubPages, you agree to adhear to certain standards. You don't have to agree with them, you just have to follow them. If you are the type of person who finds it difficult to follow directions, and/or just likes to rock the boat, find another place to submit your work that is more inline with your way of thinking.  It's really that simple.  Everyone has choices.

Thx for your comment :-) "If you are the type of person who just can't follow directions, and/or likes to rock the boat, find another place to submit your work that is more inline with your way of thinking.  It's really that simple.  Everyone has choices." Certainly agree with your last sentence... Not really sure what to make of the rest of it... Interesting profile name to have for that kind of comment :-)

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was speaking in general terms, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically, and I hope I didn't offend you in any way.  I assure you, that was most certainly not my intention.   I was just trying to point out that some people like to push the envelope and publish things against HubPages philosophy for the purpose of getting banned so they can then complain about it.  They like to stir the stinky pot as it were.  My feeling is, if someone doesn't agree with the way things are done on HubPages, there are other venues for them that might be more agreeable.  As for the name, well I often express views that might be "disturbing" in certain social circles, but I haven't really encountered that here in the forums.

No offense taken :-) Thanks for your point of view!

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Cool, I'm looking for a writing site which places a value on honesty and actual writing ability by the members.  Any suggestions?  yikes

1. glockr profile image61
        glockrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. You can get a domain for about $10 per year and a hosting account for about $4 per month and write about anything you want.

HP gives us free hosting, lots of tools to help us make money, and probably more clout with search engines than a stand-alone site would have. It's their game so they get to make the rules... err... Terms Of Service. If someone doesn't like the rules, no one is forcing them to stay. AFAIK, EVERY site that lets members post content for free has TOS that must be followed.

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

Hubpages is a dating site...

when will you people learn that the publishing of hubs is merely a subtle way for shy guys to meet ladies who share the same interests as themselves

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the insight oh great Greek One, I'll make sure to run and tell my internet sex-addict ex-husband there exists a dating sight he doesn't yet know about.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i prefer that we keep the men on here to a minimum..

and please remember that it is not 'cheating' unless one' penis actually enters one's hard drive (or one's mouse enters one's anything)

2. glendoncaba profile image73
      glendoncabaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

6. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

None of my hubs have been banned, but then again I only write when I have something useful to share. I don't do this for money.
    Sorry, man... but I only have great things to say about Hubpages and their team. Sounds like you need to find a better target to whine about.

Thx for your comment! Not really sure why it is whining to express discontentness on an issue, but certainly I noticed a lot of people advocating here for HP. And I must admit it impress me - and certainly is a good incentive for using HP more and creating an article on one of the most powerfull features of social medias - the advocates of a business. This line of discussion is certainly an extremely interesting case study of this... And even though the discussion didn't went as I expected - I have found this discussion extremely interesting from a social analytical and brand perspective.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Laustk, it did sound like whining. Sorry, but that's what I got from reading it, but then again that happens a lot when you communicate this way.
        I think you are overanalizing things. HP is a tool for anyone who is interested in writing and expressing his/her opinion. It's free. It looks great and its format is very well organized. There is always room for improvement, of course, but I've seen a lot of growth during the two years I've been here. The forums are fantastic, if you ask me, and there is a strong sense of community that you don't get anywhere else online. It's like a big family.
        Of course, if your interest is to make quick money by writing which brand of socks fit 7yr old boys  who play soccer, you might be missing the whole point of HP. (I'm not saying you write these articles, I'm only giving you an example)
        But as long as your writing is decent and you follow the site's regulations, you should be okay.

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I've come close to being banned for three of my Hubs, and once for my online behavior.  I was treated fairly by staff because they allowed me to "explain away."  You happen to be new here.  Give yourself a chance. 

My Hubs remained published after I made changes.  It was no big deal because I am used to working with people who will edit my work and call me on what they don't approve of.   And, I am still here after nine months.

I'm really not one to do social networking.  I killed my Facebook account last Christmas.  What I want to do is learn more about online writing.  I find myself leaving fewer comments and following a handful of Hubbers.  If you consider what I do as "following."  I'm way more interested in putting my Hubs together and illustrating them with my photographs and videos. 

You need to find out what works for you.  If you already are unhappy here, maybe you should cut your losses and move on.

Thx for your comment :-) I actuaaly appreciate this site more and more... I love the way a lot of guys have stood up for HP here - that is deepfelt respect in my book... And instead of turning this into a Hub about bad experiences with HB my next hub totally changed focus and turned out to be about social media advocates - don't know if it is already out there as my Hubs now are sent directly to human review department before they eventually get published .... That is VIP treatment or VPP treatment (Very Problematic Persons)....
      (to the mods: this comment was not for advertising but showing the reflective nature of ommunications on communications in this discussion and to show the adjustment of social systems and development of understanding and everchanging epistemic communicative codes)

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Laustk, you are doing the right thing by being open to these opinions as well as having the willingness to listen and maybe change in order to make things work for you.  Many of us come from so many writing backgrounds, and unless you already have the online skills, you will struggle.  And become disappointed and frustrated.  But that's writing for you.  Stay awhile and see if this is for you.  I gave myself a deadline.  I will celebrate my first year on HubPages in July.  Only you will know if online writing is for you.  So much to learn!  I wish you the best.  Keep asking those questions or allow yourself some outbursts.  It's only natural.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)