Déjà vu. What is it?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. A Thousand Words profile image67
    A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? It peeves me so. I experienced it more in my religious days, but I still experience it every now and then, and I'm just curious on people's thoughts concerning it, whether those thoughts are non-religious or religious. And the studies about what could cause it. It's such a curious experience. I hear it may be a "glitch" in our memories. Maybe. But there have been serious situations where I knew the words that were going to come out of people's mouths just a few seconds before they uttered them (or it seemed that I did), and sometimes the episodes can last for a substantial period of time (At most a little over a minute).

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haven't you posted on this topic before?

smile

A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe so...

Haha, oh wait, I get it.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From what I understand it's a misfiring in the brain. Somehow your memory gets triggered and you think "this has happened before". Kind of like when durning brain surgery they can make you smell or feel something by touching the brain in specific places. It's always interesting that after the episode is over one can't remember where that memory came from. One simply thinks it happened before, but doesn't remember when or where.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a memory from a former life...reincarnation

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with that and add that sometimes when we experience these   
        De ja vu  moments it is sometimes when we sleep, our brains are dreaming about potential futures. And how they would play themselves out pro/cons.
        Our sub conscious mind chooses from these scenarios, And when a time comes, that we reach that point in life. WE see a sign post, it is  "A"  De ja vu   moment.

And when we feel comfortable "in that moment", this means to our sub conscious mind that everything is still on a chosen path.

And when a De Ja vu moment feels "unnerving"  We might be headed down a path in life that has NOT yet been agreed upon ...  between the sub conscious  and conscious minds!

This "too" is another form of reincarnation in a different SIZE and shape?
        I don't know?  ... I just thought this up.  I haven't all the facts yet.
           I'll get back to you with what I think after I have had a conversation with my other mind.

That's interesting, because there have actually been times when I was very ok with the deja vu experience and inexplicably felt that was what was "supposed" to be happening in my life. Curious.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you experience deja vous, somewhere in your near future you were killed and your soul got sent back to the last check point for a restart. It's kind of like the lives you get in a video game, where once you clear a certain level, if you die in the next level, you go back to the point where you completed the last part and have to restart from there. The more powerful the deja vous, the more likely it is that you may have been killed several times on "this level" of your life.

(Yes, I read too much sci-fi).

Another fun theory is that, like the check point thing above, you go back to where you started screwing it up morally. So, up to this point, you were on a good moral path, headed for heaven or whatever magical death place you like, but then, somewhere between now and your death, you blew it, so God/Gods/the Aliens, whatever, sent you back to try again.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Yep, that memory glitch thing is part of it. But sometimes it's your intuition and subconscious busily working behind the scenes and trying to tell you things it thinks are relevant.

3. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Frontal lobe seizure

4. Crazzykylex profile image61
    Crazzykylexposted 11 years ago

Deja vu is not a rare case. Often I find myself wondering "Hey, why I feel it's been done before" Why not it be talking to the girls or watching a new movie. Sometimes I figure it out that I've already most of the incidents in my dreams! Have you watched the documentary video "The Secret"? You 'll get most of then answer there only. The video clearly says that whatever happens in our life is because of what we think. In other words our thoughts have a great impact in our day-to-day lives.

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

There is much more to it than brain seizures.
      The first time I experienced it I was walking down a trail way back in the woods. I came to an abandoned home site. The lumber had fallen into a pile.
      The place just felt familiar though I had never been there before.
      I walked around the place looking for things that I already knew would be where I was looking for them to be.

And meet a total stranger and have conversations that I knew what they were going to say before they would say them.
      I've read several books which gave a number of explanations as to how and why these things happen. But as is often the case; we can only speculate.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about recurring dreams? I've often dreamed of 2 scenes which are not connected to anything I know but in the dream they are very familiar.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It could be anything from a thing that was or a thing hoped for.
          Just depends upon how you were feeling when you dreampt it!
          What the things were should tell you something about whether it should be avoided or saught after?

I think?

2. A Thousand Words profile image67

I don't actually remember my dreams anymore.

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

i have come to agreement, We believe that to have been a fact.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)