being a visible minority in my own country

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

I am a sixth generation, Canadian Born Canadian, which means that my
    (great great great grandfather) migrated here from Ireland along time ago. And just incase someone might think me intollerant of other nationalities or races, I am married to a Filipina Woman, and she is almost as much a Canadian now after 25 years of marriage as I am.

The thing is though, by all of the various different nationalities that have migrated here over the past 40 to 50 years, today I am seen as a
    "Visible Minority" in my own country, even though my Canadian Government refuses to grant me such a status.

I am so sick and tired of being told that I am not "Politically Correct" in my own country as all of the various nationalities with their varied religious beliefs try to force their ways down my throat. I am chocking on their "Feel sorry for me cuz I'm a immigrant ways."

Case in point: Muslim women wear a Jihab, some even cover their faces. Today, the international soccer society bends over kissing their a**es permitting muslim women the right to wear this article of clothing, when before it was banned and not permitted.

I think it great that these girls want to participate in soccer, or any sport in North America but if you wnat to play under international or North American rules then do so rather than getting rules changed to suit your needs. If you want to wear such articles of clothing, go home where you originate from and wear it to your hearts content and stop messing with our ways.

The same goes for all of the other different changes that Muslims have forced upon society. If you want to live in our countries and they are our countries cuz we were here first, then live under our regulations and stop trying to change them to suit you. Fit in or leave, it's that simple.

1. ImKarn23 profile image70
      ImKarn23posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dave..i am all for multi-culturalism - i am not all for folks coming to other countries and trying to change THAT country into the one they left! I agree with you on this. Let's not forget that schools are now calling christmas winter break so as to not offend, also!

Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I fully understand what you are saying and if you want to take this a step farther, how about doing away with prayer and all of the other changes being forced upon our society just to accommodate these people.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny, I hadn't heard they were doing away with prayer in Canada.

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

.. not only that, if we want to play coed soccer, the state will now pay for our condoms less we trip over the ball and get someone pregnant..

we are becoming muslin AND communist at the same time...

just like Obama smile

2. profile image51
          ihatetheDMVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

News flash- Prayer is not forced in any American setting. Name ONE

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Dave.

3. profile image0
      Suranee1969posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about the Indigenous People of Canada Dave Matthews? Are they too a
      'visible minority in their own country?'

Yes they are and even more so.

4. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Imagine how the people your forefathers stole the land from feel! More importantly it doesn't hurt you one bit, no one bans people wearing a cross or Amish growing a beard. So #1 you are NOT a minority #2 the religion and culture you dictate controls most of what makes your country #3 Canada is a democratic country, when minorities gain sufficient numbers they have every right to use their democratic weight to change policy to an environment that better suits them, that's how democracy works #4 how does people wearing a face cover harm you? #5 is it really that important to you to have a country where everybody thinks, acts and talks the same? does that not seems a bit sick to you?

So far you have shown no way in which makes your life more difficult other than you just plain don't like it, on the other hand it does significantly help a large percentage of the population to for example be able to play sports without violating the tenets of their religion, I guess you guys didn't get the freedom of religion memo huh? So seeing as it hurts you not at all and helps others greatly it would be moronic not to pass measures like the ones you mention.

5. Josak profile image61

It seems you live in a reality where telling people they have to act like you and think like you to fit into your notion of what being Canadian is sane... Rather fascist really, national uniformity huh? People have every right to practice any religion they wish, follow any creed they want and any ritual they want so long as it does not break the law and if it does they have every right to use legal channels to try to get the law changed (as long as they don't break the law whilst it's still illegal) that's how a free democracy works, if you don't like it then YOU should leave because YOU are the one not respecting the foundations of the Canadian governance system or indeed of the free world, if you don't like it move to a country without democracy or freedom. So in response accept the laws of the country or leave! that simple.

Canada, It's my country I was born and raised here and my heritage goes back 6 generations. We Canadians have struggled to make a life for ourselves only to let some ungrateful immigrant come in and try to dictate policy in our country. As for me, nope not gonna happen at least not willingly and peacefully. You want your own this and that, go back to your own country for it if they will let you back in even.

Does the fact that your great great great great grandfather came to this country to have a better life give you more freedom than today's immigrant to live your life the way you want?

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
          Dame Scribeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, now that how's the FN's feel when the gov't interfere's in our li'l rez affairs lol and people wonder why the FN's are in a uproar hmm tongue

the First Nations came across the Bering Strait when it was frozen....

So they are just really early Russians..

they should learn how to swim and go home to their communist homeland!

3. Josak profile image61

Canadians have struggled to create a country where freedom of religion and expression exist, where others do not dictate the life of a man and where people are free to pursue their own happiness you violate and betray all that with the comments you make, you devalue the country and its traditions you are the one who doesn't fit in.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"You want your own this and that, go back to your own country for it if they will let you back in even."

Are you suggesting that Canada is not their "own country" of landed immigrant citizens in Canada?

'suggesting' is a very understated analysis of his comments

6. Greek One profile image63

When are you leaving?

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I guess my question would be:  What about being a minority upsets you so much?

The second question would be:  Does it give you any insight on what other minorities go through?

Empathy can't really be learned but forcing yourself-at least logically-into another's shoes can be very enlightening.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I am a white canadian, i am not a minority in my country. And if it were true I can live with that.

Allowing girls to wear headcoverings playing soccer does not take anything away from me.

Things change, societies adapt, people add to a society, otherwise we would all be living in teepees

You are entitled to your opinion and your personal point of view. That said it is liberal people like you that are giving voice to these people who run from their own countries to ours but expect to carry on life without having to change to our ways and customs. If their ways are so great, why did they flee their own countries to come here. Get your head out of the sand.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How has your daily life changed because a girl can use a headcovering on a soccer field, or a Mountie wears a turban? You can wear a cross if you like. They are not giving "these people" rights that the rest of us don't have.

Freedom of religion gives "these people" the right to pray if they like, as it does for everyone else. The same as people who don't believe in any religion should not have it forced on them. You can't expect people who immigrate to leave their religion behind as the first people who came to Canada didn't have to leave their religion behind.

As I said, a society does not remain static or we would still be living in teepees. White Canadians are still in the vast majority, if you force everything on people because you are the majority, you become a dictatorial society.

Muslim liberal!!!!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

+++

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Canada     
    Total population    31,241,030

Ethnic origin     
    British Isles origins    11,098,610   
    Other North American origins    10,408,738

Hardly a minority...

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Britain is the same - cancelling all sorts things for fear of offending.

Read about a guy that got jailed at an airport last week, for making a comment about how women is jihabs seem to be walking through passport control without showing their faces.

They walk into banks in the UK. Who is even to say they are women under that garb?

I love minorities. I welcome them, but I do not want to see my life changed because of them and their beliefs.

How has your life been changed. Do you wear a hijab when you go to the bank?

2. Cassie Smith profile image59
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had no idea it was that bad in the UK, it's almost commie-like the way they tried to force him into some groupthink just because he made a flippant remark that they deemed anti-multiculti, but that is what the commies do. Sorry to hear about the UK going that way.

how are sales of scuba gear doing over there?  Similar to that in Norway?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Cassie, are you familiar with the term "nativist?" Try looking in a mirror if you want to see one.

6. Cassie Smith profile image59
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Wouldn't wearing the veil put her at a disadvantage when she plays soccer?  It would interfere with her vision.  If she were on my team I'd get pissed off because it would mean that she can't play at her optimum.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Is it mostly the Muslims that are upsetting or other immigrants as well?

How do you feel about immigrants not learning the language(s) of their new country? Personally, I think it's disrespectful to your new homeland NOT to learn the official language. How committed are you really to being here if you don't? Nothing wrong with being bilingual, but....

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I am sure most immigrants want to learn the language, they do want to get ahead. I can see some older ones who do not work not learning it.

How long do you give them to learn it? Do they have to speak English before coming here?...then that would mean English-speaking people who want to live anywhere else should also learn the language before even considering a move.

My parents lived in a Latin American country for a number of years. There were a number of ex-patriot Americans who'd been there twenty years without learning Spanish beyond please, thank you, where's the ladies room, and good morning. They missed out on a lot by not bothering to learn Spanish, despite the fact that the corporation provided free lessons.

8. Cassie Smith profile image59
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Here in the US, I'm sick of hearing and seeing spanish signs.  If you're going to move over here, learn the language, don't make me suffer through an interpretation.

1. Josak profile image61

I suppose you speak a few native American languages? Oh no? Really and yet god forbid someone not learn your language.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I'm pretty sure the Spanish language was in a lot of America before there were Americans smile

Learning another language expands your mind...

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65

The signs are there for safety. Apparently somebody has decided they are necessary because of the number of immigrant drivers who are not yet fluent in English. I don't find them offensive and I don't understand why you do. Could you explain why you resent the signs in Spanish. The first question on my bank's ATM machine asks English or Spanish? Apparently the bank believes it has a sufficient number of customers who are more fluent in Spanish than English. Seems to me it's no more than an effort to improve communication.

9. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Lol, even Maggie Simpson needed the girl with eyebrows that met in the middle.

10. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

If you argue that the minorities must adjust to the practices of the majority,

and if in fact you are a minority...

then clearly you must adjust or leave.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

In all seriousness, I feel your pain, I really do.  I liken your feeling of being boxed in to the predicament faced by the slaves in the south…. oh the deep hardship you must feel when watching little girls in their soccer uniforms and head coverings. Wasn’t it Gandhi who first spoke out against similar atrocities?

Alas, the problem we have is that the whole ‘we are the majority, so like it or leave it’ Archie Bunker mentality doesn’t jive with the most important legacy past generations have bequeathed to Canadians.. that of a free society, where people can do what they want, unencumbered by the social, linguistic or religious conventions of the majority, or those who happen to be in power.  That is called liberty and freedom… and your mentality, should it be incorporated into law or social norm, would be by far more oppressing than any scarf a girl puts on her head.

Don’t get me wrong, many have tried to hold on to the past throughout the years… Natives were put into schools and admonished when they didn’t speak English…  Roman Catholics (White Christians, by the way), were confronted by the Protestant Orange Order at turn of the century… and each successive wave of immigrants where confronted by the immigrants who came before them.
    But alas, I fear the game is up….. and the only thing we can do is hide in our basements until the rapture…. At least Heaven will no doubt be whites only, and only full of Christians of our particular denomination.

12. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

It seems to be the Christians who have the most problems with minorities in both the US and Canada.  I wonder if they feel nuns should have to wear slacks instead of the traditional penguin garb they are known for?  I shudder to think of a world run by fundamentalists only!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

13. DearBandit profile image59
    DearBanditposted 12 years ago

Oh my god you sound like a red neck, sorry, sorry to say that.

What I like about Canada is that no one is truly Canadian; everyone’s roots come from somewhere.

The only thing that I think that should change is that, you are in a new country and leave your war, racism, and politics.  Culture is good, tradition is good. But being arrogant is not good.

If you don’t like Canada or the United States then go back to your country, if things are so good there then why leave?   Do not bring your anger, or bullshit here. I understand what you are saying Dave Mathews in some ways.

I don’t care what your religion is, or who’s religion is better, it is not a pissing contest. If you have to pray 5 times, then go head…who cares!  WHO CARES!

Just keep your heart clean.

In the end that is what matters, not bullshit my god is better than your god, my ass is better than your ass, who cares!

I believe in god to, but that does not make me better than the homeless dude outside….( I am one pay check away from being like him) anyways.

Be a better person, you are too old to think this way. Just live your own life, who care.  Get some  hobbies.

P.S and when it come religion, it has been around for a long time, and has always had issues in all centuries of life, and wars.

No one is better than anyone. Just live your own life and WHO CARES.

Be a true Canadian, and live up to the name. Have some peace….and manners….and drink some beer….in the snow….in shorts….and say  aboot.  hahaha

I love Canada and living in Canada. Don’t be a red neck.

There are things in life that you cannot change. I am trying to say this in a nice way.

You will go crazy thinking like this.

Life is short.  Do not waste your time.  Live it not with hate.

P.s.s Wow you are good with starting this hub, you are getting attention!

muslim jewish liberal cat lover!

1. DearBandit profile image59
        DearBanditposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAA

14. glmclendon profile image59
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

Children, children. Lets get real. 1st John 4 :17 - 20 talks about a man loving God whom you have not seen and to hate your brother whom you have seen, You are a liar.

We hold our selves out to be Christians and yet we are permitting this kind of talk and anger this may not be of God. This is of the flesh.

We are better than this. The cross shows us we must have a good up and down(you and God) relationship then we can have a good cross(side to side) relationship with your brother.

Let love overcome evil. Not evil overcome love.

Stay Well

but what if my neighbor eats different foods than I or listens to different music!?!?!?!?!?!?!

15. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

WAOW... You were RIGHT... You are the EPITOME of tolerance! I understand why Canadians boxed you in the invisible minority! You deserve what you get! It will NEVER be your country, go home, like you so wisely advised those muslims, if you are NOT happy. Go back to Ireland!

16. glmclendon profile image59
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

Greek One, do all your friends and neighbors eat the same food as you, or listen to the same music? That is why, you go in your house and they go in theirs.

Life is too short to waste time worrying about the change of other people. One hundred years from now, they won't know we even lived.

Let the main thing be the main thing. Live in peace and love and you will find friends you did not know you have; peace waiting just for you!

Stay Well

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)