Weekly Topic Inspiration: Home Appliances

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Most of us have the pleasure of working with modern appliances- they make life so easy! That said, choosing and maintaining appliances can be quite difficult. Why not make life even easier for folks by sharing with them your tips on purchasing, cleaning, and maintaining appliances? As part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration, we’re focusing on non-kitchen appliances (things like washers and dryers, water heaters, lawn mowers, etc.)- later on, we’ll have a whole week dedicated to kitchen appliances.

Here are some search-friendly title ideas:
    GE Appliance Service: A Guide to Getting it Fixed Fast
    Where to Get the Best Stainless Steel Appliance Package
    Appliance Energy Usage: An Overview
    Rebates for Energy Star Appliances
    Central Air Conditioning Units: Prices and Tips
    Central Air Conditioner Prices
    Central Air Conditioner Ratings
    Central Air Conditioner Parts
    The Best Portable Air Conditioner
    The Best Window Air Conditioner
    The Best Air Conditioner Brand
    Garbage Compactor Basics
    Waste Compactors 101
    Tankless Water Heater Installation
    Water Heater Installation Cost
    The Best Tankless Water Heater
    The Best Gas Water Heater
    The Best Electric Water Heater
    The Best Water Heater Brand
    Hot Water Heater Leaking? Here’s What to Do
    Leaking Water Heater Repair Guide
    Water Heater Replacement Cost
    Solar Water Heater Price
    Solar Water Heater System Basics
    Best Electric Lawn Mower
    Electric Start Lawn Mowers
    Toro Lawn Mower Repair Tips
    Sharpening Lawn Mower Blades: Tips & Tricks
    The Best Front Load Washer
    Washing Machine Repair Basics
    Great Energy Star Washing Machines
    How to Install a Wood Burning Stove
    Installing Wood Burning Stoves: The Basics

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have answered the Best Electric Lawn Mower with this hub - http://austinstar.hubpages.com/hub/What … -the-Money
      I really enjoy the peace and quiet of mowing days now. The electric mower is so quiet I don't even know when Bob is mowing :-)

2. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

A key to saving money is knowing the manufacturer. An example would be whirlpool. Whirlpool price is much higher then say Roper. Both are made by the same company. Why does one cost more then the other? Because Whirlpool as a brand is advertised heavily. Roper however, the exact product, most have never heard of. So you're paying more for the same product to cover the advertising costs.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's really good to know! You ought to write a Hub on that, screaming. I bet it would be quite useful!

2. noenhulk profile image61
      noenhulkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree! great to learn this thing. It is really fun to learn things and apply them on our daily lives. My aircon is going to be 4 years old now without any defects. I just call every 6 months for cleaning. And I do not forget the 3 minutes warm up before setting it to a more cooler button.

3. Cre8tor profile image94
      Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right about branding costs but also know, for example, that a company like Delta will make a faucet (say the model "xyz" and sell it to contractor supply houses and then sell the same model (xyz1) to a Home Depot. The home depot model will be cheaper for 2 reasons...1: They buy in such mass quantity and 2: because where the contractor model will use brass for some parts and have a much more durable finish, the Home Depot model will use nylon and a cheaper finish. To the eye, they look identical, to me, not even close. Much the same for other products and brands.

Oho! Smart!

3. shuck72 profile image79
    shuck72posted 11 years ago

Honestly I have a gas powered mower but after researching and writing about this topic I am thinking of getting an electric one. 

http://shuck72.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Electric-Lawnmower

That was FAST! Fantastic Hub! If you end up getting that electric mower, I recommend adding some original photos of it to the Hub, plus a Ratings Capsule! The star rating will show up in search results and give your Hub a boost.

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly agree with the information you shared about the differences between gas and electric mowers.

4. JPhillipi profile image54
    JPhillipiposted 11 years ago

This article is about sharpening your lawn mowers blades. I found out it is actually pretty easy to do and I did not know dull blades rip the grass turning it brown. I will start sharpening my own mower blades from now on.
    http://jphillipi.hubpages.com/hub/Sharp … wer-Blades

Wow, this is a good thing to know indeed! I always thought dull blades just meant less effective cutting- not damage! Thanks for making the useful Hub. smile

2. MarleneB profile image92

Your advice makes a ton of sense. I'm glad I read about sharpening lawn mower blades.

5. Cre8tor profile image94
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

I would like to write on most of these since you've rolled right down my lane with this topic but I don't want to be a hog...I'll be very happy to take the air conditioner parts title though. Thank you again Simone for your help in inspiring new ideas.

Hey, there are plenty of titles available, and not that many Hubbers have been taking them this week, so have at 'em!

6. ktrapp profile image93
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

Last year my power was out for three LONG days after a wind storm knocked down hundreds and hundreds of trees. It was then that I learned really quickly how much my central air conditioner means to me!

Here is my WTI Hub:

Central Air Conditioning Units: 7 Easy Maintenance Tips

Check it out and see what this pic has to do with air conditioning your home:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6691394_f248.jpg

1. MarleneB profile image92

Maintenence is key. You pointed out some helpful tips that we can use to keep our air conditioners running efficiently. Oh, by the way, the dog is so adorable.

2. Simone Smith profile image87

ktrapp, this Hub is the bees knees. Amazing.

7. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

Every kitchen should have a clear sided toaster...I wrote on this appliance because I used to always burn my toast and really wanted a better way to see the bread cooking...

A Clear Sided Toaster: The Best Kitchen Appliance

1. MarleneB profile image92

I love, love, love the clear sided toaster idea!

2. Simone Smith profile image87

I know!! I totally want one! Hahaa, I liked your other invention ideas, too.

8. JPhillipi profile image54
    JPhillipiposted 11 years ago

Here are some good tips on protecting your window air conditioner.
    http://jphillipi.hubpages.com/hub/Prote … onditioner

I was surprised to see how much of a difference some of these things can make!

9. angela_michelle profile image94
    angela_michelleposted 11 years ago

This is my submission for this week. How to Sharpen a Lawn Mower Blade: http://angela-michelle.hubpages.com/t/30a76f

Super helpful, this! I never mow lawns... which is probably a good thing, since I had not known about sharpening the blades until this WTI theme rolled around.

10. Cre8tor profile image94
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

Here are my 2 WTI hubs. I did go ahead and do a second since no one had taken it. Thank you Simone for the work you do to provide us with ideas.

http://cre8tor.hubpages.com/hub/Hot-Wat … What-to-Do

http://cre8tor.hubpages.com/hub/Central … ning-Parts

Daaaang Cre8tor. Your Hubs rock.

1. Cre8tor profile image94
        Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm very glad you think so. I am looking forward to the "appliance inspirations" too.

11. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone! The new thread is up. smile

This week, we'll be sharing accounting tips! Stop by the thread for some search-friendly title ideas.

12. profile image56
    ysiegelposted 11 years ago

I'm new at this but I wanted to give the weekly topic a try. I wrote about vacuum cleaners.
    http://ysiegel.hubpages.com/hub/HowtoChooseaVacuum

This week's accounting topic looks a bit more challenging.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)