What's the advantage of having mulitple HP accounts?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

Yeah, it was asked before but not answered and it quickly de-generated into a discussion of IP addresses (oy vey!).

I understand someone might want to address separate niches with separate HP accounts, but why? How does it help them do better in a particular niche?  TIA (for actual answers).

1. Charles James profile image67
      Charles Jamesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are some hubs I write just to make money. Best lavatory seats, best garden trowels etc.which I write under a pseudonym because I am not very proud of them.

There are hubs I write about politics and social issues which I think are important and I write under my own name.

2. profile image0
      Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the responses. On further thought it seems to me that you'd want a separate account if you were going after a particular niche and wanted to keep the articles all together. You'd also get to pick a relevant sub-domain name, which might help a little with SEO.

I also read about what is involved in transferring hubs from one account to another. If one is going to make a niche-specific account it would definitely be smart to do it early before you got to many hubs in the first account as you're going to lose momentum on those hubs for a while.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You could also try out your "new" niche on a different site than HP if you wanted to try something new. Infobarrel and Wizzley are popular. Each audience likes different topics though, so it takes time to get a feel for what that is, and if it's going to work for you. If you have a lot of knowledge about a specific topic, you could also begin your own blog. You would be alone then, but Google seems to be favoring blogs about a subject the writer is well versed in. Blogger.com and Weebly.com are free, though you would need to buy a domain name at Weebly. Name.com has them for $10.00 yearly. Best Wishes.

3. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a huge fan of niche accounts.

I have been here almost 3 years, and in that time I have learned a huge amount about SEO, titling hubs, content, keyword research etc. and it shows in this subdomain.

When I started, I knew nothing.

Secondary accounts were popular among either trolls, or serious hubbers.

I was serious, desperate even, for the income a few successful hubs could bring.

I was so poor, I did without food to pay for the internet access!

And success I saw, when I applied my new-found SEO knowledge to hubs I'd already written and published.

Not a huge success, but success all the same.

I'd spend hours online, checking stats and Google Adsense clicks more than writing new hubs.

Then I wrote a plethora of new hubs. Even today, I know they are good, soundly researched articles, even if the titles are a bit icky. I'm  actually not great on titles.

Then one day in late February 2011 I saw a rapid traffic decline. The forums confirmed everyone was experiencing it.

That was Google's Panda.

For the next few months, Panda was the preferred topic of conversation, but my traffic remained pretty static (50% higher than it is today, but 50% less that it was).

Then subdomains were introduced.

Mine soared in its first few weeks. Traffic reached a level it never had before. All was wonderful.

Then on August 10, 2011, it dived.

It collapsed by 90%.

It has never recovered to this day.

So, I started new subdomains, the first of which was just like this one, with multiple subjects.

It did OK for a while, before it got slapped as well, and is continuously up and down (down right now).

But meanwhile, I had started another 4 niche subdomains.

One of them took off spectacularly. Another does pretty well, A third got slapped and I can't figure out why. The 4th hangs on.

The subdomain that does well is a niche account on a topic that high search, high competition but low payout, so half the world's SEO chancers stay well away from.

It doesn't make me much money per thousand views either, but at least I can count the views in 4 figures. It helps that I am genuinely interested in the topic.

As I am in any niche I have started. If you have a genuine enthusiasm, it shines through.

Niche accounts are of extreme importance if you don't want Google to slap you, or to suspect you are only writing on a topic to fill a niche.

I have started yet another new niche account, and I am convinced it will do well too, because every hub will relate to the username of the account, and it is yet another interest of mine.

My ole Dad says to me "slow down Girl, you are stretching yourself too wide in your hobbies".

What is too wide? lol

1. profile image0

Thanks for the reply, it's very interesting to read your tale and about the ups and downs.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see exactly why you think that subdomains helped you. Are you saying that somehow collecting the content under a single sub-domain helps SEO? Hadn't read that before.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you have all your eggs in one basket - ie one account - and Google slaps it, you have lost everything.

If you separate all your interests into niche accounts, and Google slaps some of them, you only have a partial loss.

The advice generally is to spread your work across a lot of different platforms, ie Wizzley etc.

You can do that too, of course.

Or you can just make niche subdomains, which yes have a huge SEO advantage if the account name is also a search term for your niche.

1. profile image0

A keyword in a domain name is just one of hundreds of aspects that are used for your SERP. Everything I've read so far says it's really of minor importance. E.g. http://www.seo-theory.com/2012/05/03/ki … a-brother/

2. Keith Ham profile image61
    Keith Hamposted 11 years ago

I have no real use for multiple accounts, I feel its better to keep just one so that I can keep track of everything.

3. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I have another account that I have never promoted except on one of my websites. For an experiment it is doing fairly well. I wanted to keep the content on that separate from this account. This is the one I started with and it covers different topics, the other one is focused on a subject or subjects that relate to each other.

I think if the theory about lower traffic drawing hubs pulling an account down is true; it is sometimes worth 'testing the water' with a separate account.

4. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

I have a main account that got hit badly by Panda and has never recovered and two other niche accounts, one of which is doing a bit better and the other is too new to say!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)