Ryan gets Randian to Welfare Recipient

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

What grade would you give this answer by Paul Ryan and why?

VP candidate Paul Ryan was confronted by a voter at an event who's struggling. She said she makes $316 every other week and can't afford to give up on public assistance. She asked what he would suggest for people like her.

The Republican vice presidential nominee responded, "The only thing that limits you is your God given talent and your own effort. We need to have that dynamic economy return. You do that by drawing the economy and giving people a hand up, not a hand out. Teach a man how to fish, he can feed himself for a life. Don't simply feed fish."

I'm wondering where to get my  "Don't feed fish" t-shirt.

1. rhamson profile image69
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Has Paul Ryan been getting ad lib lessons from good old "W"? It reminds me of the "Fool me once" story he screwed up. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

2. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day (and are out a fish). Teach him to fish (and then charge him three of every four fish he catches in order to get access to the river) and you and your family eats off the work of others for the rest of your lives." -Capitalist 'Job-Creators'

I'd give Paul's answer an A-plus. Why? Well, when a public servant responds to a simple question with God and cheesy parables, that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about him, and that is very useful.

Here's another fish parable for Ryan: "Give a person a fish and they'll keep coming back for more. Tell them cheesy parables about how they might theoretically feed themselves and they will starve to death waiting for the mythical Land of Infinite Fish. Problem solved." -The Current GOP

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A+ answer.
      Speaks for itself!

3. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 11 years ago

It's like one party is composed entirely of insult comics.

4. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

What was wrong with Ryan' answer other than the bible references?

Truth is he was right. He is saying we will not give you a lifetime handout. What we will do is give you a hand up. Meaning, we will help you now, we will help you go back school if need be to move up, we will help you train for a better career in order to move up. By moving up you become self sufficient and in control of your own life. Tell me what is wrong with that?

1. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong is that it misses the point. The ability to get ahead is less and less based on what you know, how talented you are, or how hard you work; More and more based on who you know, what family you happen to be born into, and how much money they happen to have ("borrow from your parents" indeed).

So the problem is not lack of hard work, knowledge or talent as Ryan insultingly insinuates. Those things are the problem for some individuals, but for more and more people, the problem is that society has become socio-economically polarised. The gap between those on the bottom, middle and top rungs of the social ladder is becoming too wide.

Statistics relating to income and wealth show that the wealth of the top 1% of earners is increasing at a faster rate than the next 9%, and their wealth is increasing at a faster rate than the other 90% (those last two groups form the famous 99%). The result is that the potential for upward social mobility (AKA the American dream) has been weakened, and in turn social cohesion is weakened. Recent civil unrest such as the Occupy movement is an example of that.

Ryan's comment demonstrates he is too ideologically blinkered to see any of this. It simply does not fit the Randian narrative he identifies with, where the individual is the source of his own success (or lack thereof). In giving the answer he did, the candidate for the Vice Presidency is demonstrating that he is out of touch with the realities of the society he lives in. That's probably not a good thing.

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very few people truly want lifetime handouts or even handouts of any kind. Americans in general are hardworking, have a good work ethic, and care about being self-sufficient. So right off the bat, it is an insulting sort of comment in line with Romney's 47 percent comments.

But just like people don't want handouts they also don't want platitudes. We need a "dynamic economy" to return? We need more jobs? really? Is that a serious answer. A two-year old could have told me that. Who does this bozo think he is telling people to be in control of their lives and he can't even formulate a simple jobs plan. I'm happy he has a personal dogma to live by, but this isn't theology class, and it is time we start asking more of our supposed leaders--as in detailed and thoughtful plans of action.

Also, where in any Republican policy statements is there any interest at all in job training and helping people go to school? Seems to me that is all stuff they want to cut money from. Perhaps I missed it. But, in terms of helping people to move on to bigger and better things in life, do you know what really works wonders for people? Food...

Republicans act like they can slash food stamps and it will force people to want to improve their lives, but that's ridiculous. Of course people want to improve their lives, the opportunity to do so just isn't there. One job for every twenty people who are looking. Doctors flipping hamburgers at McDonalds. People don't want to be told to want more for themselves. They do that on their own. They want to know what a politician is going to do to help create the opportunity to do so.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

As mangled as the feed fish line is, to me the first line is the real kicker here.
    The first line is a direct repudiation of the woman. Period.
    "The only thing that limits you is your God given talent and your own effort."

He is not talking to a high school graduation class. He is not talking from a pulpit to a congregation. He is talking to one very specific woman who asked a very specific question about her specific situation and what is HE gonna do to help her change it.

The implication here is the woman is completely responsible for her own situation.
    The implication is that she has not taken responsibility for her life, that her obstacles are of her own making.

He has no idea what her story is.
    Perhaps she got laid off from a well paying job after 20 years. Is that her fault?
    I could continue with all kinds of scenarios that refute his INSULTING comment.

6. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

So the woman is poor because she's not Christian enough for his personal taste?  What a bigot.

7. Aley Martin profile image65
    Aley Martinposted 11 years ago

My daughter works in a mental health facility and counsels patients who have been abused, tortured, raped and any other manner of horror. She can SEE why some people cannot work and depend on the dole. There are people who just cannot work and would love to do so.

I sometimes think people only think about how things affect them and cannot see the pain of others. There is no compassion in this society, only judgment and name calling. It makes me so sick.

8. movingout profile image62
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Posts like that show exactly how Romney and Ryan care about his fellow man! How anyone can vote for that duo is beyond me!

1. Aley Martin profile image65
      Aley Martinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agree...he was my Governor...and he was awful!

9. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

Oh please.

#1. It was a chopped up video posted by MSNBC, taken out of context.
    #2. We all know the proverb and know he what he meant to say. And we've all been there knowing exactly what we intend to say that comes out garbled.

I notice we don't have the President's little gaffe here where he said
    "we'd all like to export more jobs"
    or Joe Biden's latest...

"the middle class has been buried the last four years" and let's not forget, as Uncle Joe said in the debate, he ALWAYS says exactly what he means.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)