Stuck on 998 views - need info on how to set up SEO - Want to hit 1000

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. HoneyBB profile image93
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

Before the day is over!

HoneyBBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also don't think I do tag words to well. I'm not really sure what to put. If anyone that is good at that reads any of my hubs, could you tell me which tags you would put.  I only need that one time so I know what I should be tagging in all of them.

Yay, at 1,001 now!  Still need the info though, if anyone could help. Does anyone have a hub that has an article on the left side of the page and tag words or phrases pulled from the article so I can have an example.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tags are used to determine what Hubs show in the "related Hubs" section, so choose tags you'd want your Hub classified under.   That's it, really.   Ask yourself which words describe what your Hub is about.

You may see references to "tags" in SEO discussions elsewhere, but tags on HubPages are not the same as tags on a website.

Thanks Marisa, I have already done that. I just wasn't sure if I put the right things but it sounds like I did. I appreciate your time.

2. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

As you write on several different toppics, I suggest you take a look at my article on keywords it will explain how to use tags so that you can improve your search engine ranking as well as improve the flow of traffic from your target market.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's all we need - advice from someone on HP for 5 minutes who doesn't understand how HP works.

Tags on HP have more to do with the related hubs that are shown than anything else. Tags outside of HP mean something different.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right--I saw a similar post the other day, from someone who'd been here less than 3 weeks, with only 11 hubs, offering for folks to submit their Hub links to him for his review and help improving said Hubs!  Bah!

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I think I said something to him?

There are times when I should sit on my hands.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I saw that post and thought 'What the ****'. I checked out one or two of his hubs and the spelling and grammar were frequently flawed, so there is no way I would want him critiquing my hubs. It just came across as arrogant for him to even think he was qualified to critique other people's, especially when his own needed so much work putting in on them. I was needless to say 'surprised' to see several people actually take him up on his offer without asking themselves if he might be better off asking them to critique 'his' hubs instead!

2. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
        Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey IzzyM, not offended or anything, didn't realize you replied as I am not online all the time. However, I thought you should know that I've actually been writing on HubPages for a little over 2 years now, I have also gone to school to learn the web design, interactive media, seo niche, so I do have some quite valuable knowledge for those who are having problems improving search engine ranking.

1. LeanMan profile image79
          LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SEO has changed completely in the last 12 months so having been to school to learn it will have aided you little. As it is most people are still trying to teach what worked 5 years or more ago and is more likely to get you banned than help you..
          There are no easy shortcuts to getting things right and "tags" are not the answer to anything. If you want to rank just look at what the sites that are top are doing and do better!

3. howtoguides2learn profile image56
    howtoguides2learnposted 11 years ago

As Marisa pointed out, tags are just labels.  They are not used by search engines but they are used by hubpages search.  They are also used by hubpages to show related hubs.  So, if you see a popular hub related to your hub, you should put their main tags in your hub.  This would increase your hub's chances of being shown in the related hubs section of that famous hub and you may get more visitors.  As you may well know, people always love to read related hubs.  I sometimes keep on reading the related hubs.  Other than that, tags have "no or insignificant" SEO value in search engines.

How do you know what another hubs main tags are?  Every time I think I have a clue, I find out that I don't!  LOL

4. howtoguides2learn profile image56
    howtoguides2learnposted 11 years ago

A couple of months ago, you can see other people's main tags in the show all hubs section of their profile, but I think it has been removed.  Maybe there is some other way. Now, we have to just guess.  Titles are the first place I would go to.  Anybody with basic SEO would put their main keywords and tags in their title.  I have tested this and it seems to work, but I have not written too many hubs to confirm this.

5. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

A hub that will do well in the search engines will have tags that relate to the content topic, however if you can disguise your tags into your text by always keeping a natural flow of words you will have no problem finding many tags to put in your content.

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about tags or keywords??

Tags are used within HP and will soon be gone! Google does not bother with them!

Keywords are what people search for, having them within your text will help google to understand what your article is about.. Use them too often and Google will think you are a spammer, too little and Google will not know what you are trying to rank for. But then Google is smarter than that and related words and phrases will also help you to rank for specific keywords in your text so there is no need to stuff keywords as long as you write well about the subject and can engage your audience.

1. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55

Actually this discussion would be a whole hub on it's own, however, the short of it is that tags (which are short for meta tags are the same as keywords, just one is placed on page and one is placed in page with meta tag scripts) the reason why HubPages has done away with them being in view of the reader is because it would produce duplicate meta tags which from my understanding Google is looking down upon.

1. tussin profile image56
          tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

tags on hubpages are internal and bear no relation to HTML meta tags.  if you're not convinced, use 'view page source' in your browser and examing the raw HTML code of your hubs.  the tags you enter when start a new hub are nowhere to be found in the head section of the document. you're just throwing around jargon that you don't understand to cover your tracks. go away, sheesh.

1. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55

There is more to a website than HTML code, and viewing the page source only shows you the HTML, unless you happen to know where to look for the other scripts of the page.  There is PHP, Javascript, ASP, etc, etc, which you can use to hide meta tags so that people who view your script can't steal your keywords.  As a degreed website designer, and someone who knows that originality in website code is just as important as originality in content to the search engines, I also know that some websites will go that far to hid their scripts.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're pretty new here, so you're probably not aware that tags on HubPages were never meta tags.  In my view they should've called them something else, because it has caused confusion ever since I've been here.  Tags on HubPages have always been for internal use only.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)