Important Change to Adsense

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

For those of you thinking of starting your own blog, here's a vitally important piece of information from Adsense:

http://adsense.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/ … -host.html

The way I read it is:

If you used an account on Blogger or a rev-sharing site (like HubPages, Weebly, Wizzley) to get approved by Adsense, you can use your Adsense account on any revenue-sharing site. 

However, if you want to start your own blog with its own domain name, you have to apply to Google for permission to use Adsense on your new blog.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not much different from before except for the extra approval process. They just want to make sure that people using Adsense are placing the ads on sites with quality content and not just landing pages or doorways...I am surprised that they used HP as an example. Does that mean they favor the site?

Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, Google definitely does not favour HubPages!  I'm guessing they used that example because it's the highest-profile revenue-sharing site. 

It may be only a small change but it has a huge impact. In the past, once you had your Adsense account you could use it everywhere.  You only needed to add the site to Adsense as a channel, and then only if you wanted to track the revenue separately.   

Now if you want to use your Adsense on your own site, you must ask permission first.  If you use it without permission, you're breaking Adsense TOS - and I assume that means they could apply the usual penalty, which would mean losing your Adsense account.

"Please note that publishers who were approved for AdSense accounts before today won't be affected by these changes."

That means we, as in those of us who are already using Adsense on our sites wont need approval, just those without their own domain.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Wow, that's a new twist tongue I did hear on a forum somewhere, please don't ask lol that 'G' didn't like certain domains. I guess it's a form of 'quality' control which is good I guess. Got to stay on top of that SPAM tongue

I can see why they're doing it.

While someone is writing on a rev-sharing site, there are quality controls in place to prevent spam.   When that person starts their own blog, there are no controls - so Google needs to check the new site.

I totally agree with their changes, it's better for people with quality content to share. I think it's great. Hubbers need not worry about this. All they have to do is create a blog or HP account. If they want their own domain they can do that and wait until they are established on the web before applying for Adsense.

1. LetitiaFT profile image73
          LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hope it helps curb the onslaught of sites that specialize in stealing our content!

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

The way I am reading this, Google Adsense is still OK on sites you already have, but if you start new ones you will need to reapply to Google to allow advertising.

Maybe not a bad idea?

As it stands now, you can write ( or pay someone to write) content for your site to get Adsense approval. Then, you can start up a new site, filling it with plagiarised/spun content and still earn.

Google are basically saying that you can't do that now. Sounds good to me.

On the other hand, why were Hubpages specifically mentioned in that blog post?

Maybe they like Hubages?!?!?! hmm

From what I recall during the Great Panda Disaster of 2011, Google regards HubPages as a content farm.

4. Nursey profile image59
    Nurseyposted 11 years ago

Thank you so much for this valuable information. I read your profile and see you're a dancer like me. So nice to have met you here.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

This measure is not retrospective. It only applies to people starting new accounts. Those who already have accounts are free to use their Adsense ID wherever they wish.

To think that when I started on HP in 2009, I was able to get an Adsense account in less than 24 hours by uploading onto Docstoc one pdf file of scrappy notes for a talk I gave long ago while still a wage slave and still happened to have on my computer! I chose that route because it seemed the easiest, and it truly was.

Those were the days!

6. Huntgoddess profile image66
    Huntgoddessposted 11 years ago

How can I tell if I have Google AdSense or not?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are kidding??

You have been here for 2 years and do not know whether or not you have a Google Adsense account??

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

If you don't have Adsense, what are you doing here?

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would have applied for an account

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I understand what Derek Gulbranson was on about .

It was him, wasn't it, who said something to the effect that the vast majority of HP users are not internet savvy and just want to write?

Some of those wannabe writers can't even write. He didn't say that, I did.

That is not to say they won't find an audience of course. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I haven't even looked at Huntgoddess's hubs., so this isn't a rant at her.

I love writing. I hate that I have now to 'hide' my writing in niche subdomains and that hardly anyone knows it is me.

I hate that Google hates this site, or that they are guilty of giving us all a rough ride.

Even more, I hate the front page results Google send us. I can still find internet gems, but I have to search through to page 2 or 3.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I was studying for my postgraduate qualification in library and information studies in 1986, a brilliant lecturer used to keep emphasizing to us that it was our duty, when conducting a search for someone, to sift through at least the first 1000 or so search results in order to pick out the best results if there was no way to adjust the search strategy so as to narrow down the results obtained.

He was talking about various bibliographical databases. However, I have never forgotten the principle. If I am looking for information  on the Internet about something that is important to me, I will routinely work my way through 100 screens or more to sift out what is useful. These days, when ghastly sites such as Wikipedia. Yahoo Answers, commercial shop fronts and advertisements dominate search results, it is even more important to dig deep into search results to find information of any real value.

4. LetitiaFT profile image73

To check, click on your name at the top of the screen, then "Account", then "Earnings". Look at the box "External Affiliate Settings." If there is an "Affiliate Code" number in the column next to "google adsense," then you already have an account.

You must have a Google Adsense account to earn any money on HubPages other than from Amazon, so if you have earned anything (whether or not you've hit the payout threshold), you must have already applied and been accepted for an Adsense account. If not, you can click "configure" to apply. You can find out more in the pages for beginning hubbers. Good luck.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Those were the days when the greed of Google blinded their eyes to the monster they had created.

I considered there was little point to start constructing things until I knew I could get a return, however miniscule, on the work invested! After all, a site that is loaded with advertisements is not going to get any other type of kudos.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too, I didn't take it seriously and was very cynical about proposed returns. That attitude is clearly evident in the hubs I've written  (which I haven't moved) on my main account.

Google appears to want experts, but how they define an expert is a mystery to me. Is an expert someone who has studied said subject at a higher level? And if so, how should that expert demonstrate their knowledge to searchers? Should their article be written in an objective, academic way? Or not? If the demographic of HP is women in their twenties with children but without a college education, what kind of expertise are they looking for, and how best can an author write for them???

How can one demonstrate authority about toys, or breast pumps, or multi coloured  nail embellishments? That's me stumped!

Google's sole definition of expertise is someone who gets views. Thus, someone who knows how to adjust material so as to get views, or knows how to pay for views without being caught, is an expert in Google's eyes.

Someone else may have high-level qualifications and decades of professional experience, however, if this person does not know how to sell their material on the Net, their expertise will never be recognised by Google.

As a result, search results today reward pre-digested pap on gutter press topics, which suits the ESN morons, who form the majority of the Internet audience. Thoughtful writing on intellectually challenging questions does not get a look in.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Writeangled, your response has actually made me feel better. smile

2. LetitiaFT profile image73

I read an insightful hub by Thephoenixlives a few days ago that helped me rethink how I write hubs. It's entitled "The Importance Of Working Within A Niche With Your Hub Account." It explains how google determines that you are an expert, and suggests ways to demonstrate to Google that you are. Fortunately, it appears that being an expert in one area doesn't preclude (in Google's eyes) being an expert in other areas, as long as each area is adequately covered. I found it helpful reading.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
            DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read the same article and am wondering if a lot of poor page views are not due to persons writing all over the place. I saw a question the other day from a hubber who has been here over one year and just hit 10,000 PVs. I looked at her hubs and they were about everything.

This is something which has been discussed several times on HubPages.

If you have a blog, it's definitely true that you MUST focus on a single topic.  Before Google changed its algorithm, you would've picked a narrow subject.   These days, you need to pick a broad topic. So while once you might have had a blog on growing potatoes, now you'll have one on growing vegetables, or maybe on gardening.   The reason is that Google is favouring "authority" blogs these days, so you need to offer a lot of good quality information - pick too narrow a subject and you'll run out of things to say in a year or two.

Here on HubPages, evidence suggests that the rule doesn't  apply - because there are Hubbers doing well with a mixed portfolio, and Hubbers doing badly with a specialized one.  Perhaps it's because of the inter-connected architecture of the site, who knows?

But do most of your PVs come from your dancing hubs? You are an authority in that issue so I wonder if you see most hits in that area.

Not at all, quite the reverse in fact.

2. Cardisa profile image88

I agree with you Marisa, about the blog thing. Same theme but broad subject does well. I also find that the URL should contain the blog title or main keywords as well. Even though  my  Jamaican Recipes blog is doing well, it could have done a lot better if I had used the title or keywords in the URL. But before I focused on Jamaican cooking, the blog was primarily to post my recipe links from HP. Had to change that fast and make it a real blog after Penguin....lol

2. LetitiaFT profile image73

Good one.

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Anyone heard anything about a new search engine from China that is set (apparently) to take over from Google as the world's number 1 search engine?

OMG another alphabet to learn?

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

I think Google is strongly encouraging folks to use blogger, and also to use their new "Google Products" sales links and images.

10. kezamx profile image60
    kezamxposted 11 years ago

who sell google adsense account?

1. incomeguru profile image95
      incomeguruposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You cannot purchase Google adsense account, but you can apply and get approved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)